View Poll Results: How should cities be named?
Cabinet Ministers 4 10.81%
Historical Names 4 10.81%
All Players 8 21.62%
Active Players (Posted in last 2 weeks) 18 48.65%
Other (Please List Below) 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15, 2002, 09:18   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Names For Cities
These are the choices for how we shall name our cities in the Democracy Game... If there are any others, please list below.

Cabinet Ministers
All Players
Historical Names (UR, Nineveh, etc.)
Active Members (Posting in last 2 weeks)
Other
Old June 15, 2002, 09:48   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
what does "cabinet ministers" mean? Does it mean tthe cities are named after them or they take turns naming them?

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 15, 2002, 10:34   #3
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 04:37
I'd say all active citizens...
Old June 15, 2002, 11:10   #4
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

All active players within the last two weeks get to name a city.

Now, in what order they go, I don't know. Maybe in order of joining...
Old June 15, 2002, 12:51   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I go for active players too :
- this is very democratic, and gives an incentive to follow the game, even to those who aren't in the cabinet.
- the definition of "active player" is very wide. You won't have to do as much work as Moral Hazard or Gramphos to be considered one.
- the game won't be stuck when waiting for a completely inactive player, who checks the forum rarely (that's why I voted "active players" rather than "all players").

I think that order of joining is the easiest to implement, so I'd go for it too.

Civman2000 :
As we'll quickly run out of ministers to name the cities after , I think it means the ministers get to name the cities as it pleases them (or the polls they hold).
Old June 15, 2002, 12:54   #6
Moral Hazard
King

Local Time: 22:37
I agree about active citiizens naming the cities. But more importantly the first city should be named Trippen.
Old June 15, 2002, 13:13   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 21:37
other. you should have a combination of active players and histoical events.

on example of a historical event in the civ2 demo. game was when they lost an elephant to the babylonian forces. they captured Ellipi and renamed it "Babar" after the elephant from childrens books.
Old June 15, 2002, 13:47   #8
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

I agree with Hazard and Uber. We should be able to name cities after important events/battles/etc.
Old June 15, 2002, 14:44   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

I agree with Hazard and Uber. We should be able to name cities after important events/battles/etc.
and presidents?
Old June 15, 2002, 14:45   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

the first city should be named "Apolyton". it just has to
Old June 15, 2002, 14:54   #11
huntergatherer
Settler

Local Time: 02:37
perhaps if regional governors were introduced a la Civfanatics, then they would be responsible. Otherwise, I think those who have participated actively should be able to suggest names/Hazard & Uber's ideas are both good solutions.
Old June 15, 2002, 15:13   #12
Chandragupta
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

In my view, the ideal way to have these cities named would be to, when new city construction is imminent, to issue an open call on ideas, take the reasonable (determined by the cabinet) names, and then have the populous vote.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 15, 2002, 16:09   #13
Kuciwalker
Deity

Active citizens choose the name, though not necessarily in the order that they joined.
Old June 15, 2002, 20:43   #14
Purple
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I go for active players too :
- this is very democratic, and gives an incentive to follow the game, even to those who aren't in the cabinet.
- the definition of "active player" is very wide. You won't have to do as much work as Moral Hazard or Gramphos to be considered one.
- the game won't be stuck when waiting for a completely inactive player, who checks the forum rarely (that's why I voted "active players" rather than "all players").

I think that order of joining is the easiest to implement, so I'd go for it too.
I agree with Spiffor on these points , the argument for which I outlined more fully in this thread, but for those who don't want to read it, basically the idea is to encourage participation by everyone.

Players may decide whether to name cities after people, events, or the Banana .

Captured cities should either be left with their original name or renamed, whatever the next person in line decides. Other player can lobby for a given name. Or in the case of a monumental event, the cabinet could decide to suspend the process temporarily and give a city a special commemorative name.
Old June 15, 2002, 21:30   #15
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

Erm, usually it's the other way round
Old June 17, 2002, 07:36   #16
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:37
I deeply look forward to our first city (after Apolyton, as our Capital MUST be named) being named after the first (and still active) member - MrWIAville!

/me sees the harsh stares of the rest of the posters

Ok. Maybe not quite.....

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 17, 2002, 07:59   #17
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Meh, I'd support naming the first non-capital city MrWIAville-- hell, he's backing my proposal to name the leader "Evil Overlord", so I figure I should reciprocate
Old June 17, 2002, 08:08   #18
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
Meh, I'd support naming the first non-capital city MrWIAville
Dont you think our cities should have pronauncible names?
Old June 17, 2002, 08:15   #19
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

"Mist-er-Wee-a-ville" sounds pronounceable to me...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 17, 2002, 08:34   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Who needs to ever pronounce the name? We just need to be able to type it.

How about WIAville - as in Why-a-ville. Or just keep the MrWIAville and say the "Mr" is silent.

And civman - your PMs are full, so clean 'em out!

Old June 17, 2002, 11:00   #21
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
I deeply look forward to our first city (after Apolyton, as our Capital MUST be named) being named after the first (and still active) member - MrWIAville!
HEY, wait a minute, I wanted ville to my name: ADGville
Old June 17, 2002, 11:07   #22
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

How about ADGtopolis?

Old June 17, 2002, 11:19   #23
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I can live with that
Old June 17, 2002, 12:30   #24
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

How would you define active? I get the point about within the last 2 weeks, but HOW active? Once at Apolyton? Once on the Demo Game board? 100 posts? How relevant would the posts have to be?

Until you know these things, you can't vote wisely.
Old June 17, 2002, 12:37   #25
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

You start with those who post all the bloody time, and when you can't think of any more of them, move on to the ones you can find in the active threads. No biggy.

It pays to keep blathering.

Old June 17, 2002, 13:03   #26
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

This poll is pretty bad. Even when one option wins, then what? How will we decide then?
Old June 17, 2002, 13:13   #27
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Another poll of course! Like the whole forum.

Old June 17, 2002, 13:24   #28
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

If you go with choosing player names, the better way would be to use in order of joining. This prevents it from becoming a popularity contest (any more so than it already would be).

If only active members, then you would have to keep track of the activity of any members who are earlier in the joining process if they became active later enough to qualify to be so named.

I do like the proposal to discuss a poll before posting it so as to make it less confusing. Not too mention reducing the number of polls, hopefully. A good way to turn off people is to have lots of polls. Gets old quick.
Old June 17, 2002, 15:45   #29
EmperorMagnus
Settler

Capital City
Rome was the first Republic! It had a Senate!

Greece was a democracy coming from the Greek words demo , meaning everybody gets to vote, and cracy, meaning except women, slaves and poor people (Dave Barry, Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway).
Old June 17, 2002, 16:02   #30
Purple
Prince

[Replying to question about how to define "active"]

We have a numbered list already, so the Minister of Municipal Nomenclature could send them a PM as their turn approaches. If they don't reply with their suggestion for a city name, then skip 'em.

Last edited by Purple; June 17, 2002 at 16:08.