View Poll Results: What do you think on the graphic file desision?
Dont Mind 7 36.84%
Give me Gif, or bmp choices 7 36.84%
Give me a Program/utillity that is *.bmp freindly to load onto Civ III 4 21.05%
What's a Pcx? 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15, 2002, 20:30   #1
CivGeneral
Never Ending StoriesTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 Monty PythonApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 21:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Graphics file still *.PCX
I have decided to create a poll to see what the people's reaction on this decision.There is no cure for this *.pcx headach (For people who are not lucky enough to buy paint shop pro) if you dont beleve me check out this quote from Civfanatics.com

Quote:
The graphics file format in remains the same (PCX) in PTW. Adding new terrain (such as animations) beyond modifying whats there isn't going to be possible in PTW. -www.civfanatics.com
*Sigh* I was hopeing that they were going to use a different graphics file (Like they did for Fantastic World)
"All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine
Old June 16, 2002, 02:41   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 02:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Graphics file still *.PCX
Quote:
Originally posted by Civfan01
I have decided to create a poll to see what the people's reaction on this decision.There is no cure for this *.pcx headach (For people who are not lucky enough to buy paint shop pro) if you dont beleve me check out this quote from Civfanatics.com

*Sigh* I was hopeing that they were going to use a different graphics file (Like they did for Fantastic World)
I would like someone to develop a utility, because it doesn't have to be Firaxis. Someone could probably do it, and it wouldn't distract Firaxis from implementing other things.
Old June 16, 2002, 05:05   #3
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Local Time: 06:38
Will be good GIFs. Aparently with animations. Imagine Mountains with snowfall, jumping fihes, waves on water etc.
Old June 21, 2002, 03:04   #4
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 20:38
I don't plan on buying paint shop pro, even though I hear it is a good program, it is also expensive enough that I am not going to spend that kind of money when all I would use it for is Civ 3.

Hopefully, someone will come up with a good solution and post it for all.
Old June 21, 2002, 16:11   #5
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 22:38
Does anybody know why theypicked .PCX in the first place? What kind of a benifit over the other formats does it give?

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 23, 2002, 15:58   #6
foo12
Settler

Local Time: 19:38
Errr.... Photoshop also opens them fine, but then again it costs substantially more than PSP. On the Mac side, there's a legendary program called Graphic Convertor which can open nearly any graphic file you throw at it, including Civ3's PCXs and FLCs. Surely there must be an analog program for PC?

Ideally, I'd like to see a transition to LZW'd tiffs or gifs---easier for more people to open and about 1/3 lower file size than a PCX file. Of course there's always PNG, but people would probably balk just as much with PNGs as they do with PCX files.
Old June 23, 2002, 17:16   #7
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 04:38
Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Does anybody know why theypicked .PCX in the first place? What kind of a benifit over the other formats does it give?
Good question.

But I´m more concerned about the anim format, nearly every professional gfx software can load&save PCX pics (I use PhotoPaint), but FLC anims are not so easy to handle. FLICster is good, but if we could simply use GIF anims (or another more common format) everything would a bit easier
Old June 23, 2002, 17:42   #8
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Every Firaxis game has stuck to PCX for some reason. I suppose they had a good reason early on. Maybe its a cheap format licensing wise.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 24, 2002, 07:19   #9
WarpStorm
King

The most likely reason why they use the same file formats from game to game is simple economics. They already have tools and code libraries to deal with formats, why spend time and money to change that.

GIF, in particular, has a licensing term that go with it if you are using it in commercial software (.45% royalty, minimum $0.10). Sure, $0.22 per copy of Civ3 doesn't seem like a big price, but I'm sure Firaxis doesn't get anywhere near the $50 price tag either (Infogrames and the retailers get most of the price).
Old June 24, 2002, 11:27   #10
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:38
Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
The most likely reason why they use the same file formats from game to game is simple economics. They already have tools and code libraries to deal with formats, why spend time and money to change that.

GIF, in particular, has a licensing term that go with it if you are using it in commercial software (.45% royalty, minimum $0.10). Sure, $0.22 per copy of Civ3 doesn't seem like a big price, but I'm sure Firaxis doesn't get anywhere near the $50 price tag either (Infogrames and the retailers get most of the price).
hi ,

exactly , but they could start to use other formats , why , well , so far we have 1 000 000 times civ3 , maybe 10 000 000 in two years , that is a large sum , and they could start to use more "friendly" products , agreed , some products are expensive in the short run , but pay out in the long term , ....

of course we could always start to buy MAC's , for those who need to do some state of the art graphics , ....

have a nice day