Old June 16, 2002, 13:20   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 21:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
FIRAXIS: Another possible multiplayer exploit
i was just playing a single player game of civ3 ::sigh:: and i was romping the zulu as persia.

they came to me begging for a treaty, so i made them hand over 3 border cities and 15 gold per turn.

when i went to check the border cities, all the people in them had turned into persians.

this would DEFINATELY be a problem in multiplayer, if you had a friend and you took over someones capital city, and thenm traded it back and forth, you could make it have none of the originial civ...

what would happen if a city had revolting people in it and it was traded in such a way.

thanks in advance, hope this helps you firaxians from rushing a new patch 3 days after PTW's release
Old June 16, 2002, 13:24   #2
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 05:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hm, I haven't noticed people from traded cities instantly swap nationalities.
Old June 16, 2002, 13:26   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 19:41
I don't see this as a problem; more like a concession to game balance. If another country trades you cities then you want them to stay part of your Empire and not flip back in a turn or two.

Uber, I could use your own logic in reverse. If the nationality didn't change then I would simply trade a few of my border cities to some unwitting fool knowing full well that I will have them back in a couple of turns.

It's better to keep nationality as it is because it avoids having an even bigger loop hole.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 16, 2002, 13:49   #4
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 05:41
And of course, everyone is free to reject a gift.
Old June 16, 2002, 13:53   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i think your "Reverse logic" is better than the current scenario.

if you give someoen a city full of zulu citizens, and they dont go out of their way to quell them with temples/libraries, or starve them out and rebuild it, the city should flip back.

i think my loophole is much more serious, and would pose a major problem in MP against multiple humans, essentially eliminating resistance and culture flipping.
Old June 16, 2002, 14:27   #6
Oerdin
Deity

I conceed that it could, possibly, be abused. However, you'd have to have TOTAL trust that the oher person will give you your cities back. I'm not sure there will be hordes of people running around risking their cities like that.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 16, 2002, 16:00   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I conceed that it could, possibly, be abused. However, you'd have to have TOTAL trust that the oher person will give you your cities back. I'm not sure there will be hordes of people running around risking their cities like that.
if it's anythign like the zone, two friends would go in and join the same game, and be all buddy-buddy.

also, there were rumors of a 2 v 2 ladder somewhere... cant find the link.
Old June 17, 2002, 12:20   #8
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Yeah, lots of games will be cooperative or team games. This is a problem it trading cities is allowed, but remember, in SMAC, the only way you could gift a base (city) to another human was for them to capture it outright.

So, maybe this will be a non-problem.
Old June 17, 2002, 12:46   #9
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:41
Not the best solution but you could make cities in resistance unswappable.
Old June 18, 2002, 13:11   #10
Oerdin
Deity

There is the other small consideration that cities that are traded lose all of there buildings and accumulaited culture. It is minor but still a consideration.
Old June 18, 2002, 14:26   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
There is the other small consideration that cities that are traded lose all of there buildings and accumulaited culture. It is minor but still a consideration.
if i capture a city it loses them all anyway...
Old June 18, 2002, 21:14   #12
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:41
Stuff like harbours and barracks can stay behind undamaged.
Old June 18, 2002, 23:34   #13
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

any building producing culture is lost.
Old June 22, 2002, 23:29   #14
Avahz_D

I dont know if this one has been mentioned yet, but what about the ability to quit a saved gamed (after that days multi session is over) and see where everyone is at on the map video. The next days play will be easier for the cheater to go strait to the nation...