Old June 16, 2002, 15:22   #1
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 02:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
AI Observations Here
Post the quirks, flaws and interesting movements made by the AI in this thread.

You can read my stuff here:
Interesting Move by the AI
Old June 16, 2002, 15:40   #2
HazieDaVampire
King

the fact that it cant keep a unit in one place for more than 1 turn, unless they are fortified!
Old June 16, 2002, 15:58   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 21:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
the AI is stupid a lot. but it's an AI, i didnt expect any more, and Soren has suprised me on several occasions. i'm not attacking soren, i'm attacking single player as a whole.
Old June 16, 2002, 16:10   #4
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 05:41
Uber, you sound as if everyone who has bought Civ 3 will MP. Most players don't even have Internet access, and even many who do, will not MP. Or are you suggesting a MP-only Civ 3 release?
Old June 16, 2002, 19:16   #5
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

All the enemy cities I keep capturing are building privateers. I am the only person they are at war with. I guess those pirates are going to drive back my cavarly.

Gotta love the AI's obsession with privateers.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 16, 2002, 19:27   #6
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:41
Did you ever saw an AI privateer? That is for me one of the more awkward things: my advisor wants to build them, captured cities are building them (I thought it automatically took my advisor's choice, not the previous owner's build order), and still the only privateers I encounter are my own. Why does some of the AI insist in building them, while the other part of the AI never uses them

DeepO
Old June 16, 2002, 20:10   #7
Coracle
Prince

A list of AI stupidities would be too long to write.

But one of my least favorite ones is in Diplomacy. I constantly get blamed for stuff I NEVER DID, and then the whole braindead AI world hates me forever!!

Some civ attacks ME, gets beaten, makes peace - and next thing I know OTHER civs won't trade with me because of my "perfidy" with the civ that attacked me!

There are many examples of this retarded, disappointing AI.
Old June 17, 2002, 04:01   #8
Deathwalker
Prince

Why does the AI never develop it's cities. When ever I cath them from the computer they never have any city improvments
Old June 17, 2002, 04:35   #9
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

LOL, this thread was intended for clever AI moves, and what is this turning into now?
Old June 17, 2002, 04:37   #10
Coracle
Prince

Oh, here's one of the most annoying.

I raze a city - itself a dumb concept. After it is razed some tiles become open. Every other civ seems to instantly know of them and they all send settler/foot soldier teams there.

I am convinced the AI cheats by seeing the entire board, and by giving the AI free settler units. But that's not the really dopey part.

The AI sends these settler/foot soldier combos arrogantly marching into my territory even when they are at WAR with me! I destroy them, and they send more. After I destroyed the third team I quit thinking the AI is so dumb it's no fun to beat it.
Old June 17, 2002, 04:39   #11
Solver
lifer
Deity

No, it doesn't get free Settlers, AFAIK, but starts building them during wars, and yes, it will occupy each open spot.
Old June 17, 2002, 04:56   #12
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

AI doesn't see the entire board Coracle. I'm not sure how you can convince yourself of that when your world map is one of the major commodities the AI wants and upon giving it away, the recipient AI civ will often launch unwanted settler parties on unoccupied land, or actually declare war on you.

The interpretation of AI actions, given all you can do is give us your observations (note the topic name) is arbitrary, given none of us can crack into the sourcecode and figure out what it is programmed to do and what is it not programmed to do. I want people to just post what they observe, not impose decrees of this or that.
Old June 17, 2002, 07:26   #13
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 03:41
Not bad...
Hallo everybody!

The AI tends to develop its cities much more and more efficiently than in Civ II.

It does tend to "overextend" itself by continuously building cities. Oblivious to the fact that they are useless and weak.

It forgets to upgrade! (Although I must say that this is a great advantage to the player, on higher than regent).

It does not have a coherent military strategy.

Overall it is a much improved AI over CIV II.
Old June 17, 2002, 07:35   #14
Ben Williams
Chieftain

Let's see...

They declare war on me for petty reasons even though I'm much stronger, then they send a million ships and planes over to bombard me (only squares around cities though) but they never follow up with ground units. All their attack consists of is a huge stack of defensive units which can be easily repelled.

They have warriors in the late modern age.

They never trade fairly.

etc...