Old June 16, 2002, 21:50   #1
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 03:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Best WWII Tactics Ever: Combat Mission
One of the reasons why I have been posting so rarely these days:

Anybody interested in WWII or Tactics games should try this one. Itīs one of the 3 or 4 best computer games Iīve ever played; in fact itīs the only game I have now been playing for a month or so.

Unbelievable level of detail; simultaneous movement: both players give orders, then you get to watch a video showing what happens in the next 60 seconds. Great for Pbem. They thought of nearly everything that would have mattered irl. You simply use commonsense and give realistic orders, and will get great results. Unit buying system is very balanced. Every item has some use, and the cost/effectiveness relationships make sense.

I could go on and on about CM. Pure gaming goodness!

Edit: Forgot to add link:
http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmbo/cmbo.html

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Last edited by Comrade Tribune; June 16, 2002 at 21:57.
Old June 17, 2002, 07:30   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

If only it had campaigns and unit improvements I'd agree with you. For tatical battles its brilliant, but I want to be able to folow my troops through an operation or more, not just expend them optimally to achieve a single objective.
Old June 17, 2002, 15:53   #3
PCRefugee
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:42
Yep. This is a game I keep coming back to..a real classic. You are watching a Sherman go up in flames and wondering why the rest of the platoon is laying smoke and reversing. Then,the answer appears as a Panther comes over the crest...the horror!
Old June 17, 2002, 21:40   #4
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
If only it had campaigns and unit improvements I'd agree with you. For tatical battles its brilliant, but I want to be able to folow my troops through an operation or more, not just expend them optimally to achieve a single objective.
Mmmm, Operations are in. As to Campaigns, this was a design decision: Combat at this level was so bloody that, after 3 battles or so, nobody of the original force would be left, anyway. So they felt Campaigns werenīt realistic.

Old June 17, 2002, 21:44   #5
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by PCRefugee
...the horror!
And the fun of playing pbem, and watching a Company of your opponentīs Elites slowly and steadily advancing toward your Minefields.

Old June 18, 2002, 00:52   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 10:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
Mmmm, Operations are in. As to Campaigns, this was a design decision: Combat at this level was so bloody that, after 3 battles or so, nobody of the original force would be left, anyway. So they felt Campaigns werenīt realistic.
That doesn't make any sense though, because large units are composed of small units. If small units get wiped out, large units are no longer. There is also this thing called replacement.
Old June 18, 2002, 05:43   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

Yeah you can get attached to your tank company even if over time every starting tank or crewman has become a casualty.

I think I just like my wargames a bit more macro, so I can show that my actions have significantly altered history. Gaining a victory in the Ardennes before being told 'game over - what do you want to play now?' doesn't do it for me. The Talonsoft games appealed becaue you really could follow your soldiers through the war even if you had to command a very large force to impact on the historical events.
Old June 18, 2002, 16:05   #8
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger That doesn't make any sense though, because large units are composed of small units. If small units get wiped out, large units are no longer. There is also this thing called replacement.
It does make sense. The small units do get wiped out, and are replaced wholesale. But this replacement part is of no concern to CM, because of scale (squad level units/individual tanks).

Old June 20, 2002, 17:18   #9
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I love that game...play it regularly.
You can design your battles to have reinforcements...and the editor will allow you to create a Campaign sized engagement, IMO.
When does Barbarrossa come out? Seems like it's late?
never neglectful, never indulgent.
Old June 20, 2002, 17:37   #10
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 21:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This game has the MtG Seal of Approval.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old June 30, 2002, 17:57   #11
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperSneak
When does Barbarrossa come out? Seems like it's late?
Maybe in a month or two; they wonīt rush it. Perfectionists they are. Nearly everybody who has played CM once or twice loves it.

Their operational level WWII game (Airborne Assault) also looks good. Iīll wait a little, though, if there is a boxed version.

Old June 30, 2002, 23:22   #12
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 02:42
CC, This is a great game. Its alot of fun, the UI isnt half bad either like most games. Not so much great replayability like PG or PanzerCommander. But its still really great during the first few months. I did eventually get bored with it.

Im looking forward to future games by them.

There are some other cool games you should try if you like those.

The whole operational art of war series
IL-2 (fps)
Panzer General is still the greatest
Definetaly check out Steel Panthers I
world war 2 online (actually more of a fps game but still a great one)

I absolutely love world war 2 online. There is nothing else out there that gets the blood running like this one. To see human controled, dozens of Panzers, 100 germans, and a shitload of towed 88's. Its kind of scary. I do some great aar's for playnet. I should bring one here.