View Poll Results: Do we take Oea from Carthage?
Yeah, go ahead and show them we can take them out anytime 12 63.16%
No, we stay at peace until all is in readiness (or forever) 6 31.58%
I care not - as long as the banana trade is not affected 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 17, 2002, 08:24   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Shall we attack Carthage?
In my new War proposal thread I suggest we attack the Carthaginians' city of Oea with the (soon to be) Cavalry and Rifleman we have in a Caravfel up there. However this is not a result from Hydey's Foreign Office report poll , thus I started this one to seek the ppls' permission.

My reasons for attacking are that Carthage is pathetic. Just one look here shows they have no units to challenge us and we would be very careless or unlucky to lose any units to the might of their legions/elephants and phalanx (their top units). I think we can take this city quickly, not expect much in the way of reinforcements from Carthage. If they do send reinforcements, that just means their homeland is all the more depleted for later on
Plus we get some of their 2000+ gold.

OTOH, we may end up having to put some gold into buying Walls and another Rifleman here to defend ourselves, and our reputation will drop if we have to attack them during a peace (Oh NO what a tragedy ). I can see no other downsides at all.

Vote away...

Minister of WAR, not peace.
MrWIA.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 17, 2002, 09:07   #2
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 21:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Within a very few terms, only Comrades of Apolyton will be available to judge our reputation -- and we KNOW how they will vote!!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old June 17, 2002, 09:17   #3
Ren
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 12:43
"Affirmative Sergeant, send 'em in!"

herr_ren@gmx.net
Old June 17, 2002, 17:50   #4
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 20:43
BANANA, BANANA, lets worried about them later, we got India to worried about, (if we were forced to worried)
Old June 17, 2002, 18:17   #5
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 22:43
I replied in the "Corrected latest ministry of war plans" and will just say that liberating carthage while we build an effective force against india.
Old June 18, 2002, 04:25   #6
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 04:43
We may attack Carthaginians before the end of the other wars (I suggest after the war against Indians, but in the same time of the war against Babylonians, because we have the means for it ! ).
But Oea is a little city, and Carthaginians have a lot of military units : at least 4 or 5 by cities (their military service is up to 11 years !).
If we attack them by ground units, their cities will be destroyed before empty.
If we want military basis on this continent, we must empty cities with ironclads, or bribe them !
Old June 18, 2002, 06:04   #7
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:43
I say let the military advisory stick to military and leave the foreign affairs to me, unless he wants to have the people vote for me to be removed from my possition now.
I people have indicated on the foreign affairs polls they way they want to go, when they vote for peace we have peace, when they vote for war we have war and then and only then does the military advisor do what he does best and kick some AI arse.

show restraint MrWIA your fun will come in all good time.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old June 18, 2002, 06:25   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Sorry Hydey - I realize your poll is the definite article and we need to work together on such things, but your poll was posted before I included my plan.

I thought perhaps I should have contacted you first, but you weren't likely to be online that late and I thought that I wouldn't have the time to be online today.

Sorry, sorry, sorry. War is a joint domain for us - I wanted only to get this done quickly, whilst the opportunity had presented itself.

(Humbled) Minister of WAR, not peace.
MrWIA.

Old June 18, 2002, 08:16   #9
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

slow down, get the other people before considering it (though we could have our units stay there ready for the city for a few turns...)

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 18, 2002, 10:22   #10
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Peace, Honored Ministers...

As we did not have an active Foreign Minister last term, some of the overall Foreign Affairs planning duties fell to the Minister of War by default. Our goals were somewhat determined by militarily opportunistic targets rather than a coordinated overall plan.

So, I readily understand the Minister of War pointing out an excellent chance to pick off an isolated enemy city and establish a base for future operations. Just such an action gave us Elephantine and led to our successful campaign against the Egyptians and then the Americans. I praise the observation of the vulnerability of Oea. And I should also point out that there can be conflicting proposals from different Ministers. The Minister of War always has the right to propose a military action even when another Minister proposes a different course of action (as can happen between the Ministers of Trade and War, or Trade and City planning, etc)

On the other hand, the Foreign Minister is quite correct in pointing out that the Citizens are already voting on what to do about the Carthaginians, and the voting there is overwhelmingly in favor of leaving them in peace for right now. We can hardly go and take Oea and leave the Carthaginians alone at the same time.

When conflicting proposals are made (and when both seem to gain Citizen approval), the President has to reconcile the plans as best possible.

Let this idea of taking Oea act, for now, as pre-planning for the inevitable assault on the Carths, when the Citizens decide the time has come.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Last edited by cavebear; June 18, 2002 at 10:52.
Old June 22, 2002, 20:32   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Thanks for taking the leading role here Premier - I think it was needed, as I didn't know what to do about the
conflicting poll results!

I think, Mr Head of the Foreign Office, that you understand my mistake and I hope you have forgiven this transgression - in future you will be consulted first!

(Where's the peace smiley when you need one?)

Minister of WAR, not peace.
MrWIA.

Old June 22, 2002, 22:45   #12
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
(Where's the peace smiley when you need one?)
, dude

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old June 23, 2002, 00:01   #13
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

...V
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul