Old June 17, 2002, 10:08   #1
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 19:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Marines: does AI ever build them?
I have a couple of small islands: 12 and 14 tiles. Too often it takes too many resources to keep defensive force ready for any invasion.

If I plant a swordman/worker on each coast tile, then the AI will be forced to get marines. Does AI ever build marines, or am I safe filling coast tile with workers to block an invasion?
Old June 17, 2002, 10:10   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 21:43
i actually did that in one game, and no the ai neevr built marines.

i stopped doing it, because it's stupid and takes some fun out of the game.
Old June 17, 2002, 10:12   #3
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 05:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You might also want to refer to http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=53177 for my thread about modifying Marines and making the AI use them.
Old June 17, 2002, 10:19   #4
planetfall
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
You might also want to refer to http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=53177 for my thread about modifying Marines and making the AI use them.
Interesting, will try that mod in next game. "BS carry 2", i.e., transport 2 , right. I don't remember any settings specific to type of unit transported.
Old June 17, 2002, 10:23   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Planetfall: if you just set transport capacity of BS to 2, they will carry any two units. With my mod, they can only carry Cruise Missiles, and nothing else.
Old June 17, 2002, 10:51   #6
planetfall
Prince

Quote:
Planetfall: if you just set transport capacity of BS to 2, they will carry any two units. With my mod, they can only carry Cruise Missiles, and nothing else.
Have not been using mods yet, civ3 has been challenging enough just with editor changes. Might try mods after PTW comes out. I have been under the impression that mods are A) somewhat difficult to not cause pc system problems and B) not easy to back out. If there is a step-by-step recipe somewhere for installing and deinstalling the mod I would be willing to try it.
Old June 17, 2002, 11:02   #7
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 22:43
I saw the AI build a whole big gob of marines once. They weren't used as amphibious units though. Just ground troops.
Old June 17, 2002, 11:03   #8
Phil_de_geezer
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:43
The Ai does build marines but i don't know if they use them properly.
Old June 17, 2002, 11:36   #9
Solver
lifer
Deity

Planetfall, a correction: sure, my mod is just a set of various changes to rules and units, and I don't think there are any too dramatic.
Old June 17, 2002, 11:48   #10
planetfall
Prince

Quote:
Planetfall, a correction: sure, my mod is just a set of various changes to rules and units, and I don't think there are any too dramatic.
So what editor changes do you make to allow Cruise missiles but not other units on BS's?
Old June 17, 2002, 12:04   #11
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 20:43
Seeing as how my coastal cities in the modern era are usually guarded by a spearman and a musketman: thank God the AI doesn't use marines for amphibious assault. I do, however, run into AI marines all the time in conventional ground combat.
Old June 17, 2002, 13:06   #12
Solver
lifer
Deity

Added Foot unit to Missiles, and Carries Foot Units only to Battleships.
Old June 17, 2002, 13:34   #13
ShredZ
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:43
On the topic of Marines, Im in the midst of playing a game right now where each civ (5) has a little island to themselves (the best way to play imho), and somehow I got rooked out of oil - soon afterwards I had a collection of around 50 Marines, this is the first real game where Ive used them, it turns out Marines are pretty good. Attacking an Infantry fortified in a city, they generally hit twice before they die. So most of my battles were against Infantry and Tanks, until I finally got oil too. Although I suppose any unit is good when you have a **** load.

PS: Marines are great for stealing AI workers along the coast - bombard coast, wait for AI worker, attack, move worker into boat, return home.

PPS: The reason Marines are usually so bad is b/c just as you get them Tanks become available too - If you play on small islands, techs dont come in every 4 turns, instead they come in around every 10-14.
Old June 17, 2002, 15:05   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:43
Re: Marines: does AI ever build them?
Quote:
Originally posted by planetfall
I have a couple of small islands: 12 and 14 tiles. Too often it takes too many resources to keep defensive force ready for any invasion.

If I plant a swordman/worker on each coast tile, then the AI will be forced to get marines. Does AI ever build marines, or am I safe filling coast tile with workers to block an invasion?
hi ,

why put someone on every tile , its costing a lot , ...
its better to have a force in you city's , and a couple stacks of "mobile" units , that you can get to a "hot" spot when something happens , ...

and sometimes the tile's are so , that on some places you need a second row , better to use lets say those workers for something else , ...

and yes the AI builds marines , ....

tip ; put AI default level in the editor at "deity" , this seems to give a nicer AI , ....well , if you can call it nice , this way you shall see marines , with firesupport and all .

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2002, 15:31   #15
planetfall
Prince

Cost is not an issue: continent is RRed and workers pulled from sitting in sitting in city central. Guess could disband/join workers, but that means a bit of micro management. Value is 8 calvary units and 2 transports are freed for offensive work.

Then again, maybe I should open area after I have the island airported. Reserve units would only be 1 move away. 26 workers who weren't doing anything, did not seem like much. Even if 1/3 are foreign, I could still save 10gpt. 100g/10years. Ok, that might make micromanagment effective. Usually I have needed workers again for rebuilding conquered areas. Will have to figure out which is better: a) working workers, retiring working, recreating workers, or b) working workers, sleeping workers, and reactivating workers. thanks for asking the cost question.
Old June 17, 2002, 17:08   #16
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Cost is not an issue: continent is RRed and workers pulled from sitting in sitting in city central. Guess could disband/join workers, but that means a bit of micro management. Value is 8 calvary units and 2 transports are freed for offensive work.

Then again, maybe I should open area after I have the island airported. Reserve units would only be 1 move away. 26 workers who weren't doing anything, did not seem like much. Even if 1/3 are foreign, I could still save 10gpt. 100g/10years. Ok, that might make micromanagment effective. Usually I have needed workers again for rebuilding conquered areas. Will have to figure out which is better: a) working workers, retiring working, recreating workers, or b) working workers, sleeping workers, and reactivating workers. thanks for asking the cost question.
hi ,

do you have RR yet , ....

try to save gold , now you are kind of trowing it away , ...

and try to put some naval units of your cost , ...
foreign workers , okay , put them in your city , one here , one there , ....

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2002, 18:08   #17
planetfall
Prince

Continent and 2 islands have RR on all tiles.

F3 shows about 30 workers. I don't know how many foreign workers I have, best guess is 60. Guess I should either join my workers or disband them.

Just started with navy. Actually just started military build up phase. Previous phase was infrastructure. From now on 50%-70% production will be for military until I get the size I want, then it is wealth time. Navy is only at four staging areas. The AI can have the rest of the oceans, for now.
Old June 17, 2002, 18:18   #18
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Continent and 2 islands have RR on all tiles.

F3 shows about 30 workers. I don't know how many foreign workers I have, best guess is 60. Guess I should either join my workers or disband them.

Just started with navy. Actually just started military build up phase. Previous phase was infrastructure. From now on 50%-70% production will be for military until I get the size I want, then it is wealth time. Navy is only at four staging areas. The AI can have the rest of the oceans, for now.
hi ,

, maybe you should post a SAV(e) , so that people understand , or post some screenshots , ..

have a nice day
Old June 18, 2002, 10:56   #19
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 20:43
Quote:
Originally posted by ShredZ
PS: Marines are great for stealing AI workers along the coast - bombard coast, wait for AI worker, attack, move worker into boat, return home.
I'm going to have to do this. By the modern era 80% of my workers are foreign slaves anyway, but I could always use more.