Never/banana- Steven Spielbergo is the devil 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 21, 2002, 21:02   #31
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 22:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Snowfire: Don't get it just for the one short story. It's only about 30 pages, after all and almost totally devoid of character development. But that's just ****.

ISBN 0-8065-1276-8
LOC 87-50158

SS: I couldn't agree with you more. It was a real shame how low quality it was.

The Man in the High Castle still might raise some eyebrows with the international audience that the moviemakers are going after nowadays.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old June 21, 2002, 21:36   #32
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:51
True...it would probably ignite some Anti-Americanism...but you know that the Japanese and Germans all secretly wish we were their peons.
never neglectful, never indulgent.
Old June 21, 2002, 22:00   #33
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 21:51
What is The Man in the High Castle about?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old June 21, 2002, 23:05   #34
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS

The Man in the High Castle still might raise some eyebrows with the international audience that the moviemakers are going after nowadays.
I think everyone would fail to notice. That book is a bore. I read it a second time just to see if it was really as mediocre as I thought the first time. It is. I never have understood how it got a Hugo.
Old June 21, 2002, 23:09   #35
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
What is The Man in the High Castle about?
Its set in an alternate Earth where the Nazis won WWII. Maybe if D!ck had actualy written a plot instead of casting the I-Ching to decide the plot turns the idea would have worked. Some people do like it though. It did get a Hugo. But for me its the worst thing I ever read from him besides the Zap Gun (which had no zap gun).
Old June 21, 2002, 23:23   #36
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Hmmph. I liked both AI and the Man In the High Castle.

In fact my entire family liked AI. I thought that the acting was really good, the visuals were awesome, the story was interesting and surprising, and my only quibbels are with the slightly hokey voice over and occasionally the soundtrack. Also, at times it moved as slowly as Blade Runner.

I thought AI was quite similar to Blade Runner, and I think that in the future, will acheive a similar status…

www.rottentomatoes.com reports that 96% of the movie reviews are "fresh" (good) while 4% of the reviews say that the movie is "rotten". I'm definitely going to cheeck it out.
Albert Speer
Old June 21, 2002, 23:26   #37
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred
But for me its the worst thing I ever read from him besides the Zap Gun (which had no zap gun).
Do I even want to ask why it was named Zap Gun if it had no zap gun?
Old June 22, 2002, 00:03   #38
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

Do I even want to ask why it was named Zap Gun if it had no zap gun?
I think it was a fake secret weapon but I don't really remember. The main thing I remember is characters doing tranqs to be cool and there actually being no Zap Gun. My favorite of his was The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldrich but I haven't read it decades. The last one of his I read was when I reread The Man In the High Castle. Before that it was the book that Roger Zelazny helped him finish. Didn't care for that either and Zelazny was my favorite author.

I read most of D!icks books back when he was still alive and writing. So they are a bit fuzzy in my mind.
Old June 22, 2002, 00:24   #39
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

We're talking about a library here. You go in there and read it there, especially if it's a short story. No need to "get it." But thanks for the number.

Hmm, I saw the last 2/3 of Screamers because my roommate rented it in hopes of it being a cheesy bad horror movie. Ended up being dissapointed because it wasn't so bad as to laugh at it, but it was more of a wasted potential type thing. And ugh, the plot holes towards the end definitely needed some work.
Old June 22, 2002, 02:28   #40
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Ethelred: I was referring more to the subject matter rather than ****'s particular take on it. Germany and Japan represent about 1/3 of the global sales for such a film and Axis victory seems like a verboten subject to them. Also, much of the sales is derived from countries that still harbor a lot of ill will toward the Japanese and Nazis.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/data/vs.htm
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old June 22, 2002, 02:46   #41
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I saw the movie, and it WAS freakin' amazing.
Old June 22, 2002, 07:54   #42
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:51
AI was pretty good...until the end. THat is the dumbest, most unrealistic ending I've ever seen.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 22, 2002, 12:41   #43
David Floyd
Emperor

I hated AI.
Old June 22, 2002, 18:00   #44
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
I hated AI.
See! Other people hate it too!
Old June 22, 2002, 20:25   #45
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:51
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
After being burned by AI (why oh why couldn't they leave the kid in Little Mermaid-ville?), I'm a bit hesitant about MR.

But I'm a total sucker for visuals. If it's pretty and shiny enough, I can ignore the other bits.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old June 22, 2002, 20:27   #46
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I'm going to go see this movie tonight with someone, so I'll be back with a review later.
Old June 23, 2002, 00:32   #47
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

I watched the movie earlier tonight and, I must say, it was pretty damned good. The future, as portrayed in this movie, looks pretty cool. I especially got a kick out of the air guns and city freeway scenes. Nice "military cop" uniforms and equipment as well.

I take it that ****'s original short story was set in some sort of post-World War III America? If so, the movie seemed to ignore that for the most part ... 52 years from now looks like a relatively nice place to live. The "personalized" ads and cereal boxes might drive me bonkers, though.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old June 23, 2002, 00:47   #48
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
...it was pretty damned good.
Gatekeeper
Just, pretty damned good?

Gonna' see it Monday morning.
Old June 23, 2002, 01:09   #49
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Anunikoba:

You want me to add a Hershey's Kiss or something to my thoughts regarding the movie?

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old June 23, 2002, 02:47   #50
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I really loved this movie. This will join my DVD collection once it's out on DVD.
Old June 23, 2002, 22:19   #51
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:51
Saw it Saturday. Pretty good, although the ending didn't hold too many surprises. Certainly better than Spielberg's last crapfest, A.I. Still don't like the hazy camera work in outdoors shots, but it wasn't a big deal for the most part. Cruise wasn't bad, but didn't stretch himself much, either. Some of the action sequences were pretty damn cool, like the jet pack fight.
Old June 25, 2002, 02:13   #52
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 19:51
don't want to read too much. I think I'll see it tomorrow or Wednesday
Old July 5, 2002, 09:58   #53
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 04:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper

[fanboy]

Tsk. You people today just don't *understand* the deep message in AI that, by rights, should bo SOOOO obvious. Thirty years from now, people will look back on AI finally understand the eternal WISDOM that shines throughout the movie!

[/fanboy]

Gatekeeper
AI was a very good movie. I do not understand why Spielberg is accused of being manipulative all the time....he is just good at what everyone tries so hard...to manipulate our emotions. I must admit that, just like Ryan, I had scenes from AI for weeks lingering in my head.
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old July 5, 2002, 11:41   #54
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Awesome movie that was! Kept you guessing and made me think a whole lot about time paradoxes and such. Love that sort of thing.

And one of the best things: It was a sci-fi movie that did not over use special effects. It really was about the story. And a very good (and humorous) story it was. Most people in the theatre didn't laugh though.