Old June 20, 2002, 00:49   #1
delong
Settler

Local Time: 20:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
C3PTW Internet Dedicated Server?
Hey all,

The Internet game play aspect of Play the World isn't exactly clear at this point, other than using GameSpy.

Will PTW have a dedicated internet server option? I'm the game administrator at an ISP, and I'd LOVE to put this up. I've got FPS overload. I'm a Civ fanatic from the original DOS version and this would be just incredible.
======================
Old June 20, 2002, 11:06   #2
aebrahim
Chieftain

I think its safe to say that PtW won't have a dedicated server option. Though I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
Old June 20, 2002, 22:03   #3
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 21:54
I'm not sure either. I can't see it how it would work, but I won't be surprised if it's there.
Old June 21, 2002, 00:33   #4
delong
Settler

It would be a shame if it doesn't have a dedicated server.

As to how it would work, it wouldn't be any different than how most multiplayer fps work. A set of map rotations or random map spawns and server settings set in a config file and run from the command line (or in the case of Windows, a command line argument executed by a shortcut). The play modes are much like fps or other multiplayer strategy games - deathmatch, team deathmatch, goal/scenario.

The dedicated server sends a heartbeat to a master server, which players match to with gamespy or an ingame browser and join the server of their choice.

All very standard for multiplayer games.
======================
Old June 23, 2002, 13:23   #5
Reptilicus
Settler

Local Time: 02:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Actually, it seems unnecesary to have pre-settings for a dedicated server, instead people join it and whoever gets to it first can set what gametypes that the server has.

I agree, though, it would be bad. Servers could do so much.
Old June 23, 2002, 13:37   #6
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 21:54
As opposed to a FPS, dedicated servers here wouldnt serve much of a purpose. You couldnt join mid game really and it would take a while for the next game to begin.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 23, 2002, 16:08   #7
Reptilicus
Settler

Local Time: 02:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
But, it would allow people to have games but not require everyone to be on at the same time. This could also be done with PBEM, but would require everyone to keep resending the package.
Old July 13, 2002, 07:42   #8
delong
Settler

That's exactly the purpose of a dedicated server... a machine dedicated 24/7 to serving an automated game. You don't have to worry at 11pm if Johnny's mom is going to make him turn off his computer, hosting the game you're playing, so he can go to bed. I'll take my dedicated servers on redundant OC3s with redundant power backup, thanks.

The option to join in midgame is a non-issue. There are a lot of games you can't join mid-round. Those game usually have Spectator modes for observing the running game and waiting in a queue for your turn. For a long-round game like Civ3, you can run multiple game servers (on same box even - no graphics engine soaking up memory) for extended play.

With the innovations Firaxis is developing to alleviate the "long-wait round" problem of a turn based strategy game, it would be a waste not to implement a dedicated server.
======================
Old July 13, 2002, 14:13   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 19:54
CTP2 uses a series of dedicated servers and I believe (not sure though) that Civ2MP did the same. My guess is CIv3 will follow suit.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.