Old June 20, 2002, 10:59   #1
0bsidi0n
Warlord

Local Time: 19:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Resource Questions
I think this is a pretty basic question: if, for example rubber, is set to appear on a particular forest square, but I destroy that forest before I discover the prerequisite, will the rubber appear on the grasslands under it?
Also, will resources only be depleted if mined, or is this totally random, in which case I can mine to my heart's content?
Thanks!
Old June 20, 2002, 11:26   #2
Pillager
Settler

Local Time: 02:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1. Cutting down forest doesn't affect a visible resource. The positioning of resources is set at the start of the game (I think), so I assume that the rubber would still appear in that square, when you get the relevant advance.

2. Mining doesn't affect whether or not a resource depletes, only whether or not the resource is connected to a trade network. Once a resource is properly connected (colony, or R/RR in cultural border) it is utilised, regardless of tile improvements. For this reason, some don't connect to a strategic resource until it is absolutely necessary, although it's never been a problem for me, as I have never had a resource of which I have only one source expire.

Also, only certain resources deplete (coal, iron, etc.), rubber doesn't. Someone will be able to tell you exactly which resources do and do not deplete.
Old June 20, 2002, 11:40   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 03:55
You're very lucky not to see your resources deplete. Uranium is the most volatile but I've had coal and iron both vanish to the opposite end of the world before.
Old June 20, 2002, 12:29   #4
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Coal to me seems the most crucial volatile resource. As soon as coal is in my greedy little paws I immediately begin churning out Rails before the coal expires. Matter of fact many times I'll set workers one per square rather than gang working squares as when the coal expires those workers starting a rail in a square will be allowed to finish their work.

I like wise remember having a game where I had just gotten a coal and iron in the same city radii. I immediately started the Iron Works wonder. The coal expired the immediate next turn (Yes I had coal for all of a single turn), I was able to finish the Iron works wonder though none the less and a number of squares were rail roaded.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old June 20, 2002, 13:16   #5
ShredZ
Chieftain

Im pretty sure that a rubber resourse will not come in on a square that WAS forest and now is grassland. Thats assuming grassland is not one of the designated tiles that it can come in on.

So, if you go and chop down every tree on yer continent, your chances of getting rubber are nil.

Og: I did the same thing once, except I got coal thru trade, I ganged up on all railroad builds except when my deal was one turn from expiring, then I spread them all out (hills last) and they still got to work on rail for the next 6ish turns!
Old June 20, 2002, 13:23   #6
SomeOneElse
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:55
The worst resource that disappears for me is Iron, playing the Persians. It seems that there is always only one iron deposti for me within somewhat easy reach, and at that its usually in the middle of a mountain range or some such crap
Old June 20, 2002, 13:23   #7
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Shredz

Yeah thats how I always do it if I have a coal trade. Most likely the cost of coal is expensive for the first trade after that the AI really starts jacking up the price or by that time I'm at war. LOL

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old June 20, 2002, 13:57   #8
Fitz
King

Local Time: 18:55
Quote:
Originally posted by ShredZ
Im pretty sure that a rubber resourse will not come in on a square that WAS forest and now is grassland. Thats assuming grassland is not one of the designated tiles that it can come in on.
I think yer wrong about this. I typically elimiate almost all forest and jungle before rubber, and I can't ever remember not getting it.
Old June 20, 2002, 14:38   #9
ShredZ
Chieftain

I dont know which tiles rubber will come in on tho, maybe someone could post it, it was just an example. I dont know if it even possible that a resource could only come in on forest or jungle considering both of those types can be changed...

Certain resources will only come in on certain tiles, if it was changed during the course of the game I doubt it would still come in when you have the appropriate tech.
Old June 20, 2002, 15:01   #10
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 22:55
I can say with absolute certainty that cutting down forest on a tile where rubber will appear will not prevent it from appearing. Same with cutting down jungle on a coal tile. In this respect, it's very different from CivII.

By the way, rubber is one of the two resources that never depletes (horses being the other).

I think the most volatile is actually oil (in terms of the setting in the editor).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 20, 2002, 16:04   #11
Ignorance
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:55
In my last game my only source of saltpeter depleted after 2 turns.
Forced me to destroy English with knights instead of cavalry.
Later uranium jumped about 20 squares next to another city, on the first turn I connected it.

I wish the depletion would be connected to usage of the resource. So building musketman might cause saltpeter to deplete, not pure chance.
"In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison
Old June 20, 2002, 18:15   #12
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:55
Quote:
[SIZE=1] advance.

2. only whether or not the resource is connected to a trade network. Once a resource is properly connected (colony, or R/RR in cultural border) it is utilised, regardless of tile improvements. For this reason, some don't connect to a strategic resource until it is absolutely necessary, although it's never been a problem for me, as I have never had a resource of which I have only one source expire.
has this been confirmed??? This discussion has been going on for a long time, but i have never seen any comment (official) on this.
Old June 21, 2002, 06:16   #13
Phil_de_geezer
Chieftain

Quote:
has this been confirmed??? This discussion has been going on for a long time, but i have never seen any comment (official) on this.
I know i'm not official but has anyone seen a resource deplete that is not connected to a trade network? I haven't. Besides, if it did deplete when not connected it would be very unrealistic (i'm just waiting for someone to tell me realism has no place in Civ3) and annoying.
Old June 21, 2002, 06:58   #14
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 03:55
I have no hard evidence but I have never seen a resource deplete before it is connected up and therefore deemed to be in use.
Old June 21, 2002, 08:42   #15
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 22:55
They will not deplete unless connected.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.