Old June 26, 2002, 11:50   #31
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 21:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I played up to 1555AD last night, mostly just building up tanks to upgrade to modern armor when the time came. I took advantage of some wars on the other continent to establish a foothold. The AI's in this game have all been completely psycho. I don't think there has been a turn of peace for any of the AI since the advent of nationalism.

I should get synthetic fibers at least a couple of turns before anyone else... should be a fun couple of turns!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1555ad.jpg
Views:	1544
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	18242  
Old June 26, 2002, 12:23   #32
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 23:01
200 Modern Armor ready to go. That's nice. The AI, however, has Mech Infantry, no?

And how in the HELL are you so rich? I've been that rich once or twice... on Monarch a with beautiful starting position and the spoils of early continental conquest. I cannot fathom, however, turning that iceberg into 10 grand.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 26, 2002, 13:30   #33
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 22:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
200 Modern Armor ready to go. That's nice. The AI, however, has Mech Infantry, no?

And how in the HELL are you so rich? I've been that rich once or twice... on Monarch a with beautiful starting position and the spoils of early continental conquest. I cannot fathom, however, turning that iceberg into 10 grand.

-Arrian
If you trade tech wisely you can be reaping in like all of the AI's income. Sometimes you shouldnt trade tech, but other times when another AI has it and they will get it eventually, might as well trade it for the bazillion gold a turn.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 26, 2002, 23:28   #34
Aeson
Emperor

Except for researching Synthetic Fibers, I've been on 100% tax rate for the entire game. I did research Ecology first, with one scientist and 40 turns (the AI likes the 'space' techs far too much). I bought Spaceflight with it and 9k gold (no one else could afford it yet), then sold those to all the other AI's who had any cash. I ended up making a profit off of Spaceflight alone. Every tech through the last half of the Industrial age made me a profit this way, and the free Fission helped a lot too.

I've also had 3 and sometimes 4 Iron sources to sell, for a while I was selling 6 gems, 2 saltpeter, 2 coal, an oil... It just all adds up eventually. I was up to 20k just recently, but I rushed a lot of tanks with it. Just need enough gold for the upgrades (~8000).

Some of the AI do not have Mechs yet, and a couple more of them are lacking Oil and/or Rubber. The ones without Rubber will only have Riflemen available to build, though most of them do have Infantry built in times past. Modern Armor should cut through those civs like a hot knife. Also on the other continent England and Rome have been in a knock down drag out fight for centuries now. Most of Rome's southern holdings are conquered Greek cities, and very small with no culture (Greeks are out). So I might be able to pull off a conquest win. I'll have to resort to capitol killing to delay spaceships most likely though.
Old June 27, 2002, 00:03   #35
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Aeson, are you really Deep Blue in disguise?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 27, 2002, 02:02   #36
Aeson
Emperor

Who is deep blue? (That probably answers your question )

Just a mini-update. I had 235 MA at 1575AD. I bought an ROP with China for 900 gold, and attacked Indian and the Americans. It only took about half of my MA's to finish both of them off, lost 20 in the process. I got Hoover Dam and Universal Suffrage to boot. So now I have 215 MA and the map looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1575ad(1).jpg
Views:	1508
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	18290  
Old June 27, 2002, 04:42   #37
Aeson
Emperor

MA's sure are fun. China even had mostly Mech Infantry and I still was able to take all but 5 cities in 1 turn. The ROP I broke helped, but because of the way the AI spaces their cities it wouldn't have mattered anyways. None of my MA's had enough hp's after their first fight to blitz, and all of China's cities were with 2 tiles imbetween.

Down to 165 MA's though.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1585ad.jpg
Views:	1492
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	18294  
Old June 27, 2002, 07:22   #38
Aeson
Emperor

The Iroquois decided to attack my MPP partner the Romans in 1590AD. I had to declare war and they took 1 of my less well defended chinese cities. I had been building up a force of MA's on the eastern isle, so I was ready. Because of the Iroquois city to the far south east, I disbanded most of their cities to avoid culture flips.

I also finally started getting leaders fighting against the Iroquois, 3 in total, 1 on defence even! I thought about moving my palace to the mainland, but it's more interesting to leave it where it is. So I ended up with 3 more armies, bringing my total surviving to 7.

No one has started building spaceship parts yet (extremely late already for deity), so I should be able to finish this game off in conquest style.

Here is the map from 1600AD, I have 114 MA's left. So the continent cost me a little more than 120 MA's, not bad.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1600ad.jpg
Views:	1492
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	18297  

Last edited by Aeson; June 27, 2002 at 07:28.
Old June 27, 2002, 09:24   #39
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Alkis has to realize that we make no attempt to speak english in this country.
Old June 27, 2002, 09:51   #40
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Aeson,

Deep Blue is a supercomputer - the one that beat the #1 ranked chess player, IIRC.

Hmm... looks like England has to go. They have unlawfully stolen your Orange.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 27, 2002, 10:33   #41
Cookie Monster
King

Fascinating........................

Turning a worthless piece of land into a supreme empire on deity while amassing large quantities of cold hard cash deserves a reward of some sort from Firaxis!!!!!!!
Old June 27, 2002, 14:03   #42
Carver
Prince

Amazing. So what now? Are you moving modern armors over to the second continent for a capitol killing blitz if necessary?
Old June 27, 2002, 17:44   #43
Barfus
Warlord

Location: I am the last Roman. Or is it Irish-Roman-American?
i guess this thread is dead, but i for one would really like to know what thee hell happened.....damn fine show. damn fine
Old June 27, 2002, 22:29   #44
Barfus
Warlord

all the dumb luck in the universe converged on my comp a few minutes ago, look at this spot. i settled my first city and immediately got a tech, plus the city itself is on a wine.....crazy....
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	sweetspot.jpg
Views:	1343
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	18351  
Old June 27, 2002, 23:30   #45
Aeson
Emperor

Nice start there Barfus!

Another update, though the game is pretty much uninteresting now. 1635AD, 121MA's, 8 Armies, Babylon is no more. The Iroquois will be gone in a turn or two.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1635ad.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	18357  
Old June 27, 2002, 23:41   #46
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
hope to more threda like this one. Learned quite alot from it
thanks guys

btw @Barfus: you should have move 1 tile up and settled there, you wasted the wine wine bonus you city is located on only semi serious though
Old June 28, 2002, 06:34   #47
Barfus
Warlord

id dint realize i was building on one (it was the first turn), and i did get some use out of it. the second i built the city a popup appeared saying "road brings wine, etc. people are happy." the other reason i didnt move was because i HATE clearing forest, and as it turns out, this island im on is nothing but......actually worse, its jungle.

keep it up aeson! show the generator whose boss
Old June 28, 2002, 07:06   #48
JFL_Dragon
Settler

Local Time: 03:01
Supurb Effort Aeson
Old June 28, 2002, 08:27   #49
dawidge
Warlord

Absolutely incredible game. Aeson. I've got it saved to get back to, but I'm trying to work through minitourney III.
Old June 28, 2002, 09:05   #50
Carver
Prince

Barfus, I would have done what you did also and built where you started. On anything other than chieftain you can't waste a turn moving your settler around. I always build exactly where my civ is born.
Old June 28, 2002, 09:24   #51
Arrian
Deity

I'll disagree with that. I play on Monarch normally, and often move my original settler 1 tile. Not more than that, though.

And while that is a nice spot, Barfus, I would trade it for one with a river, a cow, and a bunch of shielded grassland. But that's me.

-Arrian

Old June 28, 2002, 13:05   #52
dunk
Prince

I agree with Arrian.

I've taken to saving my game when it starts and making sure my first city is on the coast. I absolutely HATE having cities one tile inland.

BTW, that was one hell of a game Aeson.
Old June 28, 2002, 23:18   #53
Barfus
Warlord

heard that carver.....impossible otherwise.....everyone gets ahead of you
Old June 29, 2002, 07:56   #54
HazieDaVampire
King

well, i've started my 3rd ever game on the second difficulty level, i'm on an island not to much bigger than your and i'm having to struggle away at the AI's citys it has build on the south of my island, plus all of the AI's are annoyed at me!
Old June 29, 2002, 09:48   #55
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 04:01
Aeson, I bow to your skills. I would never imagine that one can get so far from such a crappy starting location. From now on, I will try every starting position I get just to see if it is doable...

A great thread, learned a lot here!
Old June 30, 2002, 23:40   #56
Barfus
Warlord

yes, aeson....you are awesome.
Old July 1, 2002, 00:11   #57
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
We're not worthy, we're not worthy (many smilies).

Aeson, if you're up for it, I'll send you my most untenable position... play it out or comment, if you will.

BTW, you, and some of the other recent games, have inspired me.

I'm going to start a new thread (tomorrow, as it's late), for the Best of the Best.

Aeson is at the front of the line.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 1, 2002, 07:37   #58
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

*bows down in worship*

Incredible. Just plain incredible. That was a performance truly worthy of the title of Deity. (Maybe you should PM Ming or MarkG about that. )

So, you have a map of the end of the game?
Old July 1, 2002, 11:23   #59
ShuShu
Chieftain

Time for a Corporate...
... Best Practices session...

1) Let me state, that the starting location was impossible. Since Aeson achieved the impossible, whatever he does is a best practice...

In all seriousness, I would have thought this thread silenced one debate once and for all. Aeson essentially explored his entire map before settling. All those who insist that there is not enough time to explore on monarchy, regent or any other level need to reread Aeson's early game description.

2) Just curious. How many people who have read this thread think they could play this map to victory even given Aeson's playbook? (not I)

3) The scary thing is, it doesn't even look like he did anything out of the ordinary. (well other than the 250 modern armor... )
Old July 1, 2002, 13:30   #60
Aeson
Emperor

I had a lot of family over for the past few days, so haven't played much more of the game since the last update. Just a couple of turns.

I signed up England and Germany to MPP's and then attacked Rome. Took all of the central penninsula the first turn. I should be able to keep all the cities as none of them had any Roman Culture. I've been getting a lot of leaders, turning them into armies. Up to 17 armies which really helps. 2 more turns of revolution and then I'll switch to a Monarchy to finish off the game.

As far as wandering around at the start of the game, I only think it's worth it if you can see a really great location within a move or two, or as in this case, there just isn't any food around. Without 2 food sources a city doesn't have much ability to pump out settlers. So moving in that case is almost necessary. It would be interesting to see how long a player could go before building their first city and still end up winning. Barbarians would probably have to be off though.