Old June 24, 2002, 19:09   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Charioteer's Campaigns
The Charioteer's Campaigns

"We're moving again!" the Unit's banner bearer and crier, Paiktis shouted, then left the tavern, running back to the barracks.

Markos cursed, "Blast. I forgot." He stood up and apologized to his drinking mates who mumbled drunken catcalls, insults, and a few genuine goodbyes. Another charioteer, his driver, Dan got up and left with Markos.

Markos stumbled slightly as he left the establishment, blinking his eyes. "Ugh," he muttered to himself, "why did I d-d-d-d-d-" he hit himself in the head, "drink so much, ugh,"

"Eh, don't feel too bad friend," Dan chidingly smiled and chuckled. "Remember, to a sober man the world looks bleak, but to a drunken man, it's frequently skewed… And if the skewing proves interesting, all the better. Besides, you'll provide me with boundless entertainment when the Captain sees you. Ha! And to think I warned you of the hazards of drink. Well, I was certainly intelligent, I stayed away from the bottle."

Markos grumbled in reply.

"It's not MY fault that your wife left you, my dear friend. It's your fault for loving the sword- and the bottle-" Dan made chugging gestures, mimicking drinking, "too much."

"Shut up!" Markos screamed, then stumbled forward into a wet ditch.

Dan stood over him, a sly grin on his face, and extended an arm to help him up. Markos declined the assistance, and instead chose to flail about in the mud, dirtying his bronze suit of armor. Dan tisked him for a bit, then bent down and forcefully grabbed Markos, dragging him up. "Just look at you- sheesh," Dan chided him and shook his head.

Together they walked towards the barracks. Or rather, Markos stumbled and Dan supported him.

Lord Axi, commander of the Charioteer unit strode forth to review the troops. All was going quite well until he reached Markos. "Why, you dishevled, poor excuse for a trooper, how dare you, how DARE you sully your uniform as such. Have you no PRIDE in your native Greece. Do you not RESPECT your homeland! You DESERVE punishment for this laxity. I'll have to think of something SPECIAL for you trooper- do you HEAR ME!?"

"Yes Lord." Markos mumbled.

"I can't hear you, TROOPER!"

"Yes LORD!" Markos screamed and clicked his heels together, then swayed unsteadily.

"Good Trooper- wait a second, is that BEER or is that WINE that I smell on your breath."

Markos was silent. Dan chirped in, "Sir, it's beer."

"DID I ASK YOU!" Lord Axi's eyes flamed as he turned to face Dan.

"No, SIR!" Dan drew himself up and saluted his Lord.

"Very well," Axi considered, then turned to Markos, "for that disgusting display and your disgusting drunkneness, you poor excuse for a trooper, I'll have you give me two hundred pushups before nightfall, and, after you sober up, you'll stand night guard duty middle shift and late shift, then you'll chop wood for us instead of tending to the fires or setting up tents or all those ***** jobs that lazy ******* can get away with. And you'll do this, trooper for three weeks!

"Do you underSTAND?"

"YES, LORD!" Markos saluted.

Lord Axi considered Markos for a few more moments, then snorted, shook his head and continued on the line of review.
Later that night, Dan and Markos worked on firewood cutting duty.

"Ah, apologies, Markos, but I thought the extra work the punishment would warrant would do you good- put you to work, make you cease your never-ending sulking- and besides, the drinking WAS your idea, friend." Dan said. Markos merely grunted.

"Come on Markos, I'm sorry- but you have to let go of your grief sometime- that was the third day you sat in that tavern dousing yourself with beer and spending all your monies- that's just no way to live man, you have to grow out of that woman."

Markos finally snapped, and turned to Dan, growling, "If YOU were ANY sort of a friend, I mean ANY sort of a friend, you'd have let me sit there instead of dragging me to this hell-hole of an army."

I can't say I'm sorry for that." Dan replied, lifting the axe high, "but if I didn't get you, someone else would, or, perhaps your head would be chopped of by now…" Dan's blow came down hard on the wood, splitting it. "Much like this wood here. You do know the penalty for treason, don't you."

Markos replied naught.

Dan sighed, and continued chopping.

Four weeks later; near the Greek/Babylonian Border

Around a blazing fire sat three full chariot teams of three, regaling each other with stories and eating deer meat.

Thucudydies the Archer smiled toothily, "Thar be Babbylonians over that thare next rise, akkording to rumors."

"A lot of things are true… 'according to rumors.'" Markos spat into the fire

"Yar, but I'vea got thish on good account, friend- ah little bird told me, har har har." Thucudydies' laugh was not the type of laugh anyone would be proud of… It was much too sharp, shrill and harsh. Markos tried to ignore it, returning to tending his fire.

Suddenly they heard a shout. All gathered grabbed their swords. Seconds later they heard a trumpet sound. "Blast!" Dan swore, jumping up from his interrupted respite.
Another shout came from the top of the ridge, "They're on us!"

"Whose fool idea was it anyway to camp in this valley!" Dan shouted.
"Belike it wash because ofa tha forest, parhaps Lord Axi thaught we could hide in thar bush?" Thucudydies offered.
"'Belike', Lord Axi wasn't thinking at all," Markos muttered, running towards the hill, sword unsheathed.
"Damn." Thucudydies swore. "Thee Devil taketh them, I can't use myh bow, the beasts are toh close." Thucudydies cast a last longing look towards his bow, lying peacefully near his tent, then set forth with his sword unsheathed, ready to meet the enemy.

Markos slashed at the first Babylonian who dared lay arms on him, slicing open his gut. The Babylonian sputtered, then fell face down flat. "Good show!" Dan called to him, mere paces away. "Ah, go howl." Markos spat. "Still mad- good!" Dan parried a blow. "It'll make you fight better- the Berserker's the way you see, to fight these Barbarian fiends." Dan sliced at his opponent, a wiry, young Babylonian. His opponent easily parried it with his shield. "I really must learn to fight better," Dan commented, jumping away from the Babylonian's next foray.

"Long Live Nebuchadnezzar II!" Came the shouts as the Babylonian raiding party withdrew. "Long Live Prince Beno! Long Live General Siddiqui!"

"Ah, well, we seem to have carried the day." A smiling, blood covered Greek approached Dan, wiping his sword clean. "Ah, good Oz of the Wolf, it's good to see you still alive."
"And you," Oz reciprocated the thanks.

"Ah, fair idiots, fair friends," Markos called, approaching the pair.
"Ho, what's this?" Dan mockingly twittered.
"You neglect to determine just what the cause of this raid may be."
"Why to ****ing set us off our guard." Oz laughed. "But we ****ing showed the ****ers."
"****ing right!" Dan pounded him on the back.
"Has anyone taken care to check the status of the chariots."
"Why would anyone assault the chariots?" Oz smiled back at Markos.
"Because- killing our horses would sure put us at a disadvantage tomorrow when their main force sallies forth to meet ours."
"Ah, a likely trouble- but that's not our business, Lord Kramerman has that duty, friend." Dan smiled at Markos.
Markos stood and considered, then nodded, "Correct, it's none of our business. Let's retire."
"Yes, lets. It's unlikely they'll try another assault before morning." Dan strode off towards the tents.
Oz of the Wolf joined Dan. Markos fell into line behind them.

'How the hell did I end up here?' Thucudydies' thoughts, much clearer and easier to understand than his words voiced the feelings of many of the defenders of the charioteer's horses. Thucudydies had been swept away by the fighting and ended up on the other side of the camp, pursuing a nasty little demonic Babylonian who had scratched his arm with a sword, then run quickly away. "I'll hava ya guts for myah suppah!" Thucudydies had screamed as he followed him.

Finally the short Babylonian was dead, at Thucudydies hands; however Thucudydies had no time for gloating. The mass of the raiding force had come upon the horses and had already sliced through the defenders' lines. Many horses screams were beginning to be cut off, and a few were running off, their ropes which had tied them to the ground, cut by swords.

Thucudydies stood at the edge of what could only be called the worst carnage of the night; not the worst carnage Thucudydies had seen, but the worst there could be when so few Babylonians assaulted the camp. Over ten Greeks were dead on the ground to the Babylonians' one. The only explanation for that was the Greeks guarding the horses had neglected to place sentries. A mistake they likely regretted in the short moments before they died.

Only a couple of Greeks remained to battle the ferocious foe. The Greeks stood back to back, shouting curses at the Babylonians. Thucudydies swallowed his fear and rushed into the horde of Babylonians, screaming "Long Live Lord Axi!"

Several Babylonians turned to Thucudydies. One grunted something in the guttral language of the Babylonians and he, and his friend went off to slay Thucudydies.

Suddenly, the shouts, "Long Live Prince Beno! Long Live General Siddiqui!" began, and the Babylonians reluctantly peeled off, then ran. Thucudydies stood astonished, then made his way over to the horses and the men who had been battling the Babylonians only moments before.

Both the men lay on the ground, one already dead, a hole in his chest, while the other lay gurgling blood on the ground. Thucudydies bent to administer aid to the living one when the living one gurgled out, "No- the- horses!" Then continued to hack up blood. Thucudydies clenched his teeth, thinking 'Well, there's nothing I can do for him, and, the horses are more important."

Thucudydies looked up at the horses and saw them still bucking. He then observed two, riding away in the forest. He called to the camp, then undid a rope, and jumped on one of the horses. As he rode, he picked up the stabling-reins, kicked the horse in its side and rode off after the escaped horses. He caught up with them ten minutes later and attempted to grab their reins as he rode between them. The animals, obviously chariot-partners were extremely calm as Thucudydies grabbed their reins and pulled them back in. He wondered why…

"Lord Kramerman is dead, Lord." Paitkis announced to his Lord.
"That fool." Lord Axi muttered.
"And all his squad- all twelve."
"How many horses?"
"Seven dead of sword wounds, one mercifully killed because of a broken leg suffered in bucking, and five missing."
"Make that two missin, Milord," Thucudydies entered the tent and bowed.
"Guards!" Lord Axi screamed, "Who let this man in?"
"I did sir," one of the guards appeared at the door flap.
"Why!" Lord Axi demanded.
"He returned with three of the lost horses, Sir."
"Ah, I see," Lord Axi's temper cooled. "You have done a good deed man, a good deed indeed- perhaps you shall be commended- perhaps not- in the mean time, ready for battle, we set off an hour before dawn."
"Yes Lord." Thucudydies saluted Lord Axi, then left the tent, slightly muttering. He had expected a commendation. "Oh well, sauch is life." He threw up his arms in defeat and returned to his tent to begin packing and readying his arrows.

"So, we ride." Markos commented dryly as the three set forth in their chariot, drawn by two stallions.
"So we do." Dan remarked, a slight less flamboyant as usual, his mind set on the cruel duty they would have to do forthwith.
"Aye, we doso, and haw we return only Jupitah may know." Thucudydies stated.
"Aye." Markos murmered.

Their chariot, and others around it, set forth loudly to meet their foe.

On the other hill, the Babylonians waited until their leader, God-General Imran gave the signal, and they charged…

Shalt I continueth this?
Old June 24, 2002, 19:26   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Great! Will you include me?

Maybe we should call over the owners of the site to read this, tell us if your portrayal of them is accurate

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 24, 2002, 19:44   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

*Edited 2004

(I wasn't making sense in this post and it reflected badly on me)

Last edited by DarkCloud; June 8, 2004 at 19:17.
Old June 25, 2002, 01:18   #4
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 22:10
I have a Greek sounding name...

Good start!
Old June 25, 2002, 15:29   #5
DarkCloud
staff

thank you
Civ, Son of Man is in this installment
-

The chariots thundered down the hills, down into the valley. The Greek's first line met the Babylonians with a crash.

An arrow whizzed by Markos' ear. Markos screamed and shook his sword at the Babylonians. Dan cracked his whip harder on the horses. Thucudydies let loose with a few more arrows before their chariot closed into close quarters battle. Their chariot thundered towards the battle. Around them horses tumbled down, hit by arrows, and with the horses fell the chariots. Men tumbled out of them, rolling and trying to recover.

Suddenly Markos was in the thick of the battle. Their horses reeled as a Babylonian charioteer went to meet Markos. The charioteer hacked at Markos once, then was gone. Suddenly another charioteer came from the other side to challenge Thucudydies. Thucudydies noticed the disturbance and dropped his bow, grabbing his sword. On the other side of the chariot, the first charioteer returned, bloodthirsty and waving his sword madly. As their swords met, the Babylonian taunted Markos in Markos' native Greek tongue, "So, Greek what's your reason for being here- not getting enough of the good stuff at home?" Markos glared and screamed, then set upon the Babylonian with a fury. The Babylonian went down and his driver quickly moved the team away from Markos. On the other side, Thucudydies had fell his opponent who was now draped over the side of his chariot accompanied by a dead driver, killed earlier by arrows and a dead archer, also killed by Thucudydies. The horses of that chariot rode off, host to a dead cargo.

Dan cracked the whip again and spurred the horses on through the Babylonian line. "Come on ya lazy horses- you can do better than that!" He yelled. Suddenly, they found they had overshot the Babylonian line. They wheeled around. "Hay, lesh box em' in!" Thucudydies shouted, sheathing his sword and grabbing his bow again. "Good idea!" Dan exclaimed. Markos fumed, fury still within him, ready for more. Thucudydies strung his bow, then let loose, hitting a Babylonian charioteer in the back. The Babylonian's team of horses went wild. The team's archer went to steady the reins, but was cut down by a massive sword thrust.

"Aye! Oz!" Dan shouted. The owner of the sword thrust screamed back, "Oz of the Wolf rides again!" Then plunged back into the thick of battle. Dan cracked his whip, spurring the horses back into the conflict.

On the other side of the field, Lord Axi defended his forces' flank. A job that, at any other time, could most likely have been called 'cushy.' However, somehow the Babylonians had managed to overshoot the Greek's flank and were wreaking havoc behind the lines.

The battle spun round and round and round. Side overlapping side, Babylonian killing Greek, Greek felling Babylonian.

In the middle of the fiercest fighting, fought General Siddiqui of the Babylonians and his Babylonian Death Guard. Siddiqui, Imran by title, ruler of Ur, flew against the Greeks in a fury, slicing and hacking all challengers to bits. His Death Guard did even better, led by their dread captain, the Dark Cavalier. A man who had tasted blood since his birth, when his mother was cut down by a marauding band of Greek Warriors. The Dark Cavalier longed to slice out the Greek King's heart for that and what happened to his father, once a simple farmer, cut down by Greeks when the Dark Cavalier was ten in the city of Kush on what was then the outskirts of the Babylonian empire. Now, the Dark Cavalier was getting his revenge. And it tasted sweet.

Lord Axi watched as his standard bearer, Paitkis, went down, a sword slice in the thigh. Lord Axi grimaced and continued his battle with what could only be the chariot of a Babylonian Prince due to its excessive coloration and flag… The Prince who Lord Axi assumed, was leading the Babylonians, the Prince Beno. If only Axi could vanquish him, then perhaps the Babylonians would lose heart and retreat.

'Prince Beno,' thought General Siddiqui, Imran of Ur. 'hopefully Prince Beno will fall in battle today so I can resume my rightful place as leader of this unit." Siddiqui brought down a Greek with a sword slice to the back of the neck. "Then we shall resume our conquests without his meddling."

Lord Axi thrust at the Prince who tried to parry the blow, but was distracted by a brush of his charioteer's arm. Prince Beno cried out in pain as Lord Axi's blade pierced his stomach. Lord Axi withdrew the blade and Prince Beno tumbled forth. Lord Axi cried out, "Babylonians! Your Prince is dead!" His cry was ignored.

The battle raged on for many more hours until the sides began to tire. Eventually, Lord Axi called a retreat, and the Greek chariots began to form up. Those Greeks who had lost their chariots lay sprawled on the ground, easy targets for the Babylonians, or fled aimlessly up the hill, running towards the forest.

On hearing the retreat call, Dan cracked his whip and drove his tired horses out of the Babylonian lines toward safety, eventually joining the rest of the force.

"How was your hunting?" Oz of the Wolf cried heartily, despite the call of retreat. "Oh, quite well," Dan replied. "I think we hurt them nearly as bad as they hurt us- see, they aren't pursuing."

"That's quite good, but I'd like to have at them again!" Oz cried, still full of spirit.

"I'da sunnah not." Thucudydies groused, nursing a gash in his arm.

"Boo-hoo. The cries of the wounded-" Oz mocked as his horses thundered over the hill. His chariot-mates gave a cheer as they returned to camp.

The Babylonians straggled back to their camp, nevertheless, led by their proud General and his proud Death Guard. "We shall not pursueth these cowards today." Siddiqui declared to his troops, "For, they are not worth the chase!" A slight cheer went up among the Babylonians.

Some Days Later

After his forces had reformed, Lord Axi considered the situation. He could withdraw fully and rest his troops, or fortify and accomplish the same thing, albeit slower- and in the process hinder the Babylonians from acquiring the forests and their rich preserves of Quail and Deer. "The Babylonians must be as hurt as us, or else they would have followed us." Lord Axi pondered. His adjutant, Paitkis, on wooden crutches with a newly amputated leg stumbled up to Axi and offered, "Remember our King's promise to supply us with reinforcements- namely the new Legionnaires unit commanded by Lord Civ, son of Man? We could hold out until then.

"Unless, of course," Paitkis laughed weakly, "unless, we, ah, have to deal with another Babylonian unit."
"That won't happen." Lord Axi stated, looking slightly worried. "Ah, you may go, Paitkis, go and rest, I must think alone now." Lord Axi waved Paitkis away. Paitkis saluted, then hobbled off painfully to his personal tent.

"Will these newfangled Legionnaires be enough to hold off the Babylonians if they bring forth another charioteer force?" Lord Axi wondered aloud, studying the parchment reports and reading. Sadly he was the only man in the unit who could read due to the nations' atrocious 1% literacy rate. If someone else could read, he wouldn't have to waste his time. Perhaps he could teach Paitkis eventually. Paitkis was next to useless to the unit now that he had no leg. But there would be time for that later, after the conquest of Cannan, Lord Axi's objective. Cannan, the newest city of the Babylonians, nearly deserted of defensive units save the one Warrior which Lord Aaharus' Diplomacy corp had discovered in its reconnaisance.

Oz of the Wolf drank fully and laughed loudly. Dan and Thucudydies joined him. Marcos sat off, on the other side of the hill alone, contemplatively. Eventually, Dan wandered over to his friend, "What's wrong Markos? Wine not good enougsh for you?" Dan slightly slurred his speech.

"No." Markos whispered.
"Ah, well then whatsh is it?" Dan elbowed Markos playfully.
Markos disdainfully considered Dan and shifted his body away. "I was thinking of Bella…"
"Your wife?"
"Yes. My wife… And what that Babylonian said."
"It'ssh a damn common war inshult." Dan downed another sip of the wine. "And quit thinkin about your wife, It'll caush ya to die an earli death, grief that is.
"Ya, know what I do whan I get depresshed?"

"What? Get drunk?" Markos glared at Dan.
"Hell naw. Didn't ya listen to me earlier, drinkkin ish the worsht thing ta do when yar drunk, er, sad." Dan corrected himself, tottering now and taking another sip, emptying the mug. "I work- like I saids earlier. Do somethsing, join in the jokesh, and ya'll forget."
"Perhaps you are correct." Markos rose from the ground and ambled over to the campfire, supporting Dan.

"Woo hoo! What have we here?" Oz laughed. "Two lovers come from beyond the rise?" Oz mimed kissing motions.
"Ah shut up ya joker." Markos dropped Dan who collapsed, laughing, then walked over and playfully hit Oz in the shoulder. Oz laughed, grin showing and highlighting the scar on his neck, suffered but a few days ago. "There's your sense of humor, my friend. There it is."

Next Morning

"Counting the wounded… Counting the wounded… Counting the wounded… Counting the dead… Roll call!" Food acquisitor, clerk and general manager of the unit, Cloud walked stiffly and stuffily through the tents of the men, sniffing imperiously and counting on a piece of parchment the numbers of charioteers surviving, injured and dead. He made scratches on the parchment. He knew his numbers, but not the alphabet. 'Quite sad,' thought Lord Axi as he watched the man. 'Perhaps I could teach him his letters too?' Then Axi was distracted by other news.

Cloud added up the numbers as he finished his survey and counted. "295 survivors; 30 bearing grave injuries; 40 bearing medium injuries, now healing; and 221 injured slightly; strangely enough only 4 made it through unscathed; quite interesting…" Cloud considered as he set off to find Lord Axi and make his report. Cloud clacked his feet together and walked straight and tall towards Lord Axi's tent, parchment and pen in hand.

Athens, Hellas

"Legionaries fall in!" Lord Civ, son of Man proclaimed loudly to the new unit. "Today, we sally forth, to join our brethren charioteers near Cannan- then we shall smash those lousy dogs of Babylon!"

A cheer rose up, and the Legionaries marched forth, perfect in their new formation and battle armor.

They were yet Green and unblooded, far from Veterans, but their spirit more than made up for the deficiencies of experience. In but two fortnights, less seven days they would arrive and join the charioteers.

Nineveh, Babylon

"Lord King Nebuchadnezzar II! A message for ye." The courier handed the King a communique, bowing lowly.

The King read it and stood, then proclaimed an order- "Two Veteran Units of Charioteers shall henceforth be dispatched to Cannan to deal with these Greek scum!"

"Yes, m'liege." The courier bowed even lower, then rose and ran from the audience chamber to carry the messsage forth.

Outside Cannan, Babylon

Lord General Siddiqui surveyed his line troopers. All was not good- but perhaps he could hit the Greeks hard, destroy their charioteer unit, then make short work of the incoming newfangled Legionnaires… Yes, he planned an attack. He would not let his fellow Lords steal the glory of victory from him. He would at least defeat one Greek Chariot unit; the others could have the "Legionnaires" and whatever glory came from vanquishing such foes. Siddiqui, however, preferred to meet tested foes and conquer them at a method of battle which he knew.
Old June 25, 2002, 19:53   #6
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:10
Who is axi (at apolyton)??

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 25, 2002, 23:05   #7
WTE_OzWolf
Warlord

Hoohah! Oz of the Wolf is one sarcastic, mean-arsed, sword-toting, death bringing warrior!

Hmm...now where did I put my banner...Oz of the Wolf? Has a good ring to it...

to you and your story...
Old June 26, 2002, 06:51   #8
beno
Civilization III Democracy GameMac
Chieftain

really enjoying this (despite the fact that I died easier than Boba Fett )
Goes right along with my love of a nice early war. keep it up
Old June 26, 2002, 11:48   #9
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Who is axi (at apolyton)??
He does some statistics... and for that I respect him

you can probably find him in the OT or Apolyton section of teh site
Or you could look at his profile.

-
Well, beno, at least you lasted longer than kramerman
-
Thanks for the praise
I'll see what I can do in the way of writing more- but the next edition may take a while (I managed to injure myself and spent a few hours in the emergency room; I can still type, but I have bandages around my hand and am supposed to keep my leg elevated- oi! )
Old June 26, 2002, 12:06   #10
beno
Civilization III Democracy GameMac
Chieftain

the perfect opportunity to learn to write with your toes.
Old June 26, 2002, 21:02   #11
DarkCloud
staff

That's true beno
-
Okay, here's the latest installment:
(the meat of it is in the intrigues and the setup AFTER the battle )
although Oz's little rampage is quite interesting... and I reccomend it
Moreso than Thucudydies time in the sun.

My, I have to devote more time to the stars Markos and Dan!

Is there any characters that you would like to see more of, specifically? Any favorites (so that I may note it in the future?)
-

The scout came thundering in on his horse, "Lord Axi! Lord Axi!" He demanded,
"Yes," the Lord came out of his tent, "the Babylonians seem as if they are suiting up for battle."
Lord Axi cursed, "ah, in that case we shall have to ready the chariots- it seems Siddiqui is intent on following up his little victory."
"Yessir, I'll go report it." The horseman rode off, proclaiming, "Chariot-stations! Chariot-stations! Warning! Babylonians sighted suiting up for battle! Babylonians readying for war! Chariot-stations!"

"Paitkis!" Lord Axi screamed.
"Yes Lord," Paitkis hobbled out of his tent, leaning heavily on his wooden crutch.
"Paitkis, proclaim the orders for battle-readiness. I am too busy right now to bother with such things."
"Yes Lord." Paitkis gave Lord Axi a servile nod, then proceeded to walk the opposite way the horseman had rode, proclaiming the same warning.

All around the camp, men, all save the most severely injured, were rushing towards their chariots.
Lord Axi ran into his tent, grabbed his helmet, then headed towards his chariot, cursing and screaming for the horse-minders to harness the horses.

General Siddiqui failed to find the Greeks unawares as his force met them on the Greek hill of the rise; just outside the Greeks' camp.

"Well," Dan commented, brandishing his new weapon, a spear. "We just don't seem to get any rest- do we."
"No we don't. That's the truth." Markos agreed, taking his turn at driving the chariot's horses.
"Aye," Thucudydies agreed, laughing and notching another arrow on his bow.

Thucudydies let the arrow fly. Twenty yards away a Babylonian went down.
"Well, lets see if we can lead them away from camp." Markos considered, then yelled "Greeks! Follow me!" And set the horses off on a line parallel the woods. Several Greek chariots followed, which were then pursued in turn by several Babylonian chariots.

"Let's form up!" Markos screamed, turning his chariot around, then spurring the horses forward, through the crowd who had followed him; into the thick of the Babylonians. Thucudydies let loose a war yell, fired twice more, then stuck his bow in a niche and drew his sword.

Near the camp, Lord Axi was trying desperately to fend off the Babylonians, lest they destroy the camp and kill the wounded still left within. "Men, form up, block formation!" He screamed from his chariot- few Greeks heard him- the sounds of the battle were too great.

Inch by inch the Babylonians drove Lord Axi's section of the Greek's force back over the hill, into the outer extremities of the camp.

Suddenly, the Babylonians began to fall back. Seemingly they had underestimated the strength of their foe. From the right wing of the battle their leader called, "Fall back men!" and they proceeded to retreat inwards, creating a box. However, the fighting still continued fiercely in the center and left wings.

Oz of the Wolf spontaneously led a charge into the center of the Babylonian's center line from the right wing, attempting to split the Babylonians force in two and surround the lead force, making good on his wings' fortune.

Suddenly, Oz came up against General Siddiqui's Death Guard, who, for the most part bore more serious injuries than Oz, but, regardless, continued to put up a good fight, going berserk against their foes. Oz sliced and hacked his way through them until, at last, he came across General Siddiqui. Siddiqui turned to meet him, dealing Oz a blow. The blow missed by mere centimeters and Oz recovered from Siddiqui's slice, attempting to parry the blow. As his sword arm extended towards the General he stumbled. Suddenly, his horses went down. Oz cursed while jumping as the chariot rolled over, trapping his driver and archer within. He tumbled across the field into a spot with little fighting, then jumped to his feet, bearing several scrapes on his arms and legs, but nothing serious, and continued fighting.

Oz's force found the fighting much more fortunate than its leader had, managing to completely surround the center wing of Siddiqui's force. Siddiqui and his Death Guard made a brave mood to free the trapped men, however, the Greeks proved too much for Siddiqui, outnumbering him almost three chariots to one.

Siddiqui cursed and ordered his driver to wheel the chariot around for a full retreat. His passenger, The Dark Cavalier spat as they retreated. "This isn't the way to win." He whispered chillingly, throat parched. "We must strike as hard as we can- never retreat- Siddiqui." Blood streamed down The Dark Cavalier's face, his own and others,' making it a bloody mask.

"It's the only thing we can do, Cavalier-" Siddiqui growled. "Now shut up and, and- oh just shut the **** up, *******!" Siddiqui turned from The Dark Cavalier and watched his tattered forces retreat from the field.

In the center wing a cheer went up. "Long Live Lord Axi!" As the trapped Babylonians threw down their swords and halted their chariots. Lord Axi smiled. He had won a great victory.

On the Left wing, Markos' charge sent the Babylonians into disarray, allowing the Greeks to slaughter them at leisure. All but one crew of Babylonian charioteers had fallen to Greek swords. Markos smiled slightly as he watched the last chariots thunder into the valley, back to their camp.

Oz of the Wolf hacked at a few passing horses, cursing, screaming and imploring the Gods to strike down the "sunova*****" who killed his horses. "Ya bloody cowards! Come back and fight like men! Whats it to ya, ya can't fight like men so ya strike down my ****ing horses, that's what, ya fiends! May Jupiter visit his wrath upon your puny God- Who da' hell cares about your damned Marduk and Tiamat- Jupiter could crack their heads any day- Heda sure teach Marduk a lesson- and Tiamat'd be so sore after Jup' was done with her that- Hey! Come back, ya hear me! Fight like men! Aren't ya men! Oh I see; Ya all ********!" Oz cursed and waved his sword until the Babylonians were far beyond the range of his words. Oz then walked back to camp, muttering about all the injustices in the world.

"What's this I hear about you leading the great charge which won us the field- and the day?" Lord Axi asked the standing soldier, Oz of the Wolf. Lord Axi sat comfortably in the unit's only wooden chair, behind the unit's sole wooden desk, grimacing as he spoke, due to a wound in the side, suffered during the days battle. Also in the tent stood an exhausted Markos.
"All I did, Lord," Oz began, "was lead but one charge into the center of the enemy forces after the wing I was on defeated Siddiqui and caused him to order his retreat. I saw an opportunity and went for it."
"I see," Lord Axi nodded. "Now, in a case like this, formerly we merely awarded the brave soldier with a medal, some commendations, and some beer, perhaps wine. However," Lord Axi paused for dramatic effect. "This particular case warrants special consideration… Yes, it is a special case indeed."

Oz of the Wolf shifted uneasily, "Special in a good way, Lord?"

"Yes certainly!" Lord Axi laughed, "Certainly in a good way- Oz, what if I was to give you command of about one hundred or so men… one third of this unit?"

"I would say you were daft." Oz realized his mistake at the last minute and made to apologize.

"No, no, don't worry." Lord Axi smoothed Oz's fears over. "I understand that nothing of this sort has ever been done before- we have always only had one battle commander. But I see the need for more. I cannot know the names of every man in this unit, nor how to best execute maneuvers. What I see the need for are Captains… Captains to command portions of our force and better decide how to move on the field. You are one whom I have considered for the job, and the other is that man over there," Lord Axi gestured to Markos.

"You may not be nobles, but you both showed remarkable ingenuity and leadership in the battle today, and I have heard- you are quite remarkable warriors- with long pasts in this and earlier units." Oz and Markos began to nod slightly.

"I see that I am correct." Lord Axi folded his hands on the table. "Thus, as of today, I proclaim you both to be this unit's official commanders of the Right and Left wings. Which, currently, due to battle losses, make up only one hundred charioteers each, while I will command the middle wing with its sixty nine as soon as the gravely injured are healed… For now, I command nothing directly, except you. You shall be my staff for the time; and, Oz of the Wolf, seeing as how you lost your chariot crew, would you like to ride with me?" The words were more an order than a question.

"Yes Lord." Oz of the Wolf answered, somewhat edgily.

"Good." Lord Axi smiled. "We shall do that at once. Paitkis will provide you with the details on who belongs to whose wing. However, I don't suspect that we shall do much more fighting. General Siddiqui is pulling back his forces and we are unlikely to see Nebuchadnezzar II's replacement chariot forces for a few more weeks. And, by then, Lord Civ, Son of Man will have arrived with the Legionnairies unit, along with some reinforcement Charioteers."

"That is good news." Markos stated.

"Yes, I think so." Lord Axi smiled, then rose and shook both Oz and Markos' hands.

General Siddiqui frowned and said nothing all during the withdrawal as his soldiers took down camp. After they entered Cannan, Siddiqui retreated into his room and refused to leave it for any reason, brooding over his losses.

One night The Dark Cavalier came to him, "Lord General Siddiqui, Imran of Ur- why do you brood so- you alone were uninjured in the battle- you have no reason to regret the battle- you yourself slay many Greeks… You were a great warrior."

"Don't you understand." Siddiqui glared at The Dark Cavalier. "What I did does not matter, what you did does not matter, what the entire Death Guard did does not matter- What matters is that our unit failed to defeat the Greeks- that is all that Nebuchadnezzar will think of… Individuals do not matter- it is the entire army, and only the entire army that matters.

"You may think so." The Dark Cavalier stated. "But I know that individuals can shift how a battle goes. Whether it is won or lost."

General Siddiqui failed to respond. A few minutes later, The Dark Cavalier left the room, leaving Siddiqui to face his own demons and troubles alone, once again.

"Lords, Lords." The Greek's king, King Christantine began, imploring the Council of Lords calm down. "Please, a tax increase was necessary- you do love your city improvements, do you not?" There were several mutters among the audience. "And it was necessary to reduce the Luxury rate from twenty percent to zero so that we could increase the Science rate to develop the Legionaires."

"Who cares about the damned Legionaries!" One loud Lord, the Great Lord Braund of Sparta demanded. "What we need are luxuries!" The rest of the council murmured assent.

"Friends, friends," Christantine raised his hands, attempting to calm the council. "The Legionaries shall soon prove their worth- they deserved to be developed. They shall crush the Babylonians in Cannan soon and spread Greek power and Greek Gods into the heathen lands of the Babylonians. With our new technology, the Babylonians will be forced to bow before us and recognize us as their masters."

"I don't understand." Braund spat, standing up, "we have fought for hundreds of years with chariots- aren't chariots good enough for us? They are fast, mobile, strong!
"Just like the Greek people. All respects, Lord King- but chariots are good enough for the Greeks."

"Yeah! Good enough!" A cry came up after Braund's speech.

"But can't we do better? Invent new things?" Christantine pleaded with the assembly. "Remember when Greeks first went from horseback riding to charioteering? How great that was for our civilization."

Some of the murmurs died down. Another Lord, Lord Mccleod of Eretria, which bordered on Barbarian territories, spoke with the peculiar accent his people had picked up from years of mixing with the plains Barbarians, "Parhaps these Legionaries could prauve quite ushful. You never knaw when a new davelopment may prauve handy. And, we on the border cauld always ush a little mar help defending from the less friendly Barbarian traebs."

"You are but an unlettered Barbarian yourself, Lord!" Lord Braund shot up denouncing Lord Mccleod before the assembly even had time to applaud his speech. "You even bear a Barbarian name- 'Mccleod', what type of respectable Greek bears a name such as that! I see not how you became ruler of Eretria, nor do I want to know- now," Lord Braund spoke, turning to the council, "I ask you again, please, we must return our luxuries rate to twenty percent and reduce our science rate accordingly- and cease wasting our tax monies on such wild ventures as 'Legionaires.'"

The council nodded.

"But don't you want to develop new weapons, new improvements and other such things!" King Christantine exclaimed.

"No, we do not." Lord Braund leaned across the great oaken table, staring darkly into King Christantine's eyes. "No we do not."

"A vote! A vote!" Someone exclaimed.

"But, Christantine is King!" Lord Mccleod exclaimed, but was shouted down by the cries.

Lord Braund smiled across the table at the King.

1 Week Later; Near Cannan

"Ah, blood and guts- when are they ever going to arrive. I'm bored." Oz of the Wolf complained, throwing a goat bone into the fire.

"Bored, with all the work you do?" Dan asked.

"It's all boring work- review the troops this, speak with Lord Axi, that. What am I, an accountant? Like Cloud? Yech! I'd soonah be dead. That's womens job it is." Oz of the Wolf made as if to retch up his meal.

"Woah, not on me." Dan scooted away from Oz. Oz let loose with a string of laughter.

"I'd just sooner end this war soon." Markos grumbled, still wincing from his wounds.

"Why so? You don't have anything to go back to?" Dan asked.

Markos winced, "You're right… I suppose I don't."

Dan nodded in reply.

Thucudydies yawned.

"Hey, Thucudydies," Dan inquired.

"Yes?" Thucudydies asked.

"Tell us a story- to relieve Oz and Markos' tensions a bit- they have been quite busy these past few days- far too busy to spend time with us, and it seems that they are too tired to relate stories of their own… Anyways, we always enjoy stories about Eretria."

"Aye, it be an interesting laund." Thucudydies nodded. "I sauppose I'll ah tell ya one."

"Oh, this should be good, come gather round- Thucudydies is telling a tale!" Dan shouted to the troops gathered around other camp fires. They came slowly, many of them limping, and yet many were quite eager to hear the one of Thucudydies famous stories.

Thucudydies began. "It was a dark naght in Eretria. An amazingly quaet one ash well- no one dared sthar fram their bedsh. Naverthelesh, the old Lord- Lord Seneca's wife, Ysabell wash out in tha dark of tha moonlight. Naw, thish wasn't a good time for her ta be out- espechially with her being the Lord's wife and all, and her bein so young, volumptious and unprotected… Espechially due ta the constant intragues in tha courtsh of Greek Lords- ya know."

Heads bobbed in agreement.

One voice yelled, "What was she doing out in the first place?"

"Good quaestion," Thucudydies replied. "She wash out bacause she wash discontent with har husband… He fought and drank much taw much." Markos shifted uneasily on the ground.

"Yeah," Thucudydies continued, "our laords are alwaysh fightn it out ta gain othersh holdins or inflauence.
"Well, thatsh night, a Barbarian Leader, scauting the plase out far some strhange reason, came upon the gaud Lady. Naw, it wasn't muchofa struggal, and he managed ta carray her off ta his Barbarian tribe's camp… and then, do you know what happened?" Thucudydies teased, looking gravely serious. "No?" Oz asked, thoughtful. Thucudydies leaned forward and told him. Oz let loose with a peal of laughter. "Aye, That's a good and raunchy story there, muh friend." Oz slapped Thucudydies on the back. Thucudydies grinned. The others jealously shouted, imploring Thucudydies to tell them. And, after a little goading, he did, after which all seated around the fire roared with laughter.

Thucudydies continued his tale until the embers burned low and men began to yawn, seeking their beds. "Wall, I supposh I should rap up thish story," Thucudydies commented. All present nodded. "Well, ya see, in tha end the Good Lord traded hish life fer that of hish Lady- and thatsh the short version."

Several troopers congratulated him on his story, then stumbled groggily off to sleep, forgetting their wounds, for the time, despite the fact that, due to rationing of the beer and wine supplies, most had had nothing to drink. Dan looked at Thucudydies and grinned, "Well- who didn't say that stories have a therapeutic effect- over half those men were complaining about how they couldn't get a sound sleep, but a few hours ago, now look at them- stumbling off to bed."

"It warn't nauthin." Thucudydies shyly turned away.

"You've got a unique talent there- my friend." Dan patted Thucudydies on the back, yawned, then headed for his tent.

Last edited by DarkCloud; June 27, 2002 at 18:39.
Old June 27, 2002, 11:57   #12
DarkCloud
staff

Oz... what's that about a banner?

-As for Braund's character- that's what he gets for writing Thrillers and some diplo intrigue
--
Note: The story Thucudydies tells is more tahn it seems.

It reveals the psychology of the troopers- yest.
It also reveals taht of the empire- yes.
It also reveals some of the empires troubles- yes.
And please note the connection to markos- (to be made more clear in the next installment )

And it raises some questions...

What was the Lady doing out alone- was she content with her lord? Maybe.

We don't know...

Note: Her discontent could mirror that of the empire...
More to be revealed later

Happy reading
Old June 27, 2002, 16:08   #13
DarkCloud
staff

As soon as the dawn of the morning had crept over the blood-drenched hillsides outside Cannan, Markos sought out Thucudydies.

Thucudydies was standing sentry duty for last night shift, boredly staring into the sun when Markos called his name.

Thucudydies turned, "Captain Markos." He saluted deferentially.

"Please forget that," Markos spat. "We are associates- I am no Lord."

"Parhaps not, but ya daserve tha salute nawntheless." Thucudydies lowered his hand.

Markos sighed.

"What ish it?" Thucudydies inquired.

"Ah, nothing," Markos muttered, "nothing- except-" Thucudydies waited for him to continue, "except- was there something more in that story you told last night."

"What Cap-Markos?" Thucudydies strained to remember his tale-telling time the night before, staring somewhat uncomprehendingly at Markos.

Markos wiped a bead of sweat from his brow. "That story, the one you told about the Lady and the Barbarians."

"Ah, yesh, I ramember that one naw." Thucudydies nodded.

"Well, yes," Markos coughed. "I have been wondering- did you tell that tale perhaps as an allegory about- my wife- Bella?" He choked out her name. Despite the great leaps and bounds of recovery he had already taken, the memory of her name was still painful.

"Naw Markos. Nat at all- thatsh stary wash quite traue. I didna' mean it ta represant ya life ar anythin' like that-"

"Good," Markos frowned and turned to leave.

Trumpets blared in the distance.

"What's that!" Markos exclaimed and turned toward the hill the Babylonians had occupied prior to their withdrawl. "It's caming fram ovah there-" Thucudydies pointed in the opposite direction. Markos strained to see what was transpiring.

Suddenly, they heard shouts from the other side of camp, "Here come the reinforcements! Lord Civ, son of Man!" Markos rushed to the other side of camp. Thucudydies stood muttering about his duty, but remained in place, still watching the Babylonian's former camp, but sneaking looks back toward the Legionnaires arrival point.

"Lord Civ," Lord Axi, bowed, making obseisances to his fellow Lord, the commander of the newly arrived force of Legionnaires.

"Lord Axi," Lord Civ considered Axi with a cold stare.

"Welcome to Cannan." Lord Axi rose, smiling. "We are glad that you have brought with you reinforcements in addition to your own troops."

"Well, I do what I must." Lord Civ curtly replied. "You know," he considered. "You should be in Cannan right now. You should not need our help."

Lord Axi's face masked his anger. "Pray tell, Lord Civ."

"Well, as we all know, Greeks are the Superior Race. For example, we constructed the Colossus and discovered the secrets of war, the secrets of the Legionnaires far before the lesser, barbarous races did… Especially the disgusting Babylonians- do you realize Lord Axi that the only difference between a Babylonian and a dog is that the, 'Babylonian'" Lord Civ filled the word with as much venom as possible,

"The Babylonian, can speak, and of course, the 'Babylonian' is nowhere near as loyal as the lowly dog- or, for that part, the Glorious Greek.

"I would have assumed that by now, you would have already enslaved these 'Lesser People' and destroyed their pitiful excuse for a citadel."

"We are not Gods, fellow Lord." Lord Axi grimaced. "We defeated them in battle and they retreated from the field- that is all we can ask. We did not, and do not have the resources for a siege."

"Well then, I suppose you should be glad that I, and my Corinthians are here- your Athenian armies always were more interested in the fine points of philosophy and theology than the sharp points of battle."

"I will have you know-" Lord Axi began, his anger beginning to show.

"I don't care what you will have me know- now read this, If you can…" Lord Civ disdainfully pulled a golden parchment paper from out of his flowing purple robes and handed it to Lord Axi, careful not to let their fingers touch, lest some dread Athenian disease enter Civ's system.

Lord Axi grabbed the parchment from Lord Civ and grumbled. "Damn." He cursed. "So, I suppose I do owe you the command of both our forces, your Excellency."

"Yes." Lord Civ sniffed. "That you do. And you would do well to realize it, for, I could replace you if I so wished, but would rather not go through the necessary explanations to the King after the fact… However, just so that you do not get any ideas- nor attempt to challenge my authority- remember this, I have two other, lesser Lords with me, my children in fact… Who will be more than willing, more than able, more than happy, to inherit your position of leadership.

"Now, think on that, and do not dare hazard to defy me." Lord Civ strode reeled his horse away from Lord Axi and returned to the ranks of his own troops, sending a lesser Legionnaire to speak with Lord Axi.

"Lord," the Legionnaire saluted Lord Axi. Lord Axi refrained from replying, crumpling the parchment up into a ball in his hand. "I have been dispatched to inform you of this particular matter: that as of today, we have arrived with sixty six newly trained Corinthian charioteers to replace those who may have fallen during the courses of your battles; If you have a subordinate, I will tell them of the situation, and they shall then lead the new members to their proper positions in your unit."

Lord Axi glared at the Legionnaire, "Do you have to ****ing say everything in fifty words if you can tell it to me in one!"

"Yes, Lord, that is a true fact."

Lord Axi fumed. "In MY unit, we thrive on efficiency- and saying what you ****ing mean in less than one hundred words- do you realize how much time can be lost on the battlefield if you have to recite to me an epic every time you need help!"

"I am sorry, Lord, but this is no longer your unit, per se," The Legionnaire replied, bored with the whole issue. "I have been led to believe that my Commander, Lord Civ, son of Man, now controls both units, and as such, you are to follow his rules and protocol. Do you understand." Lord Axi stood unresponsive. "Now, I shall ask you once again, where is a subordinate who may possibly carry out the arrangements of the new charioteers into your unit." Lord Axi gestured wordlessly to Paitkis, who stumbled forward from several feet away, where he, Oz of the Wolf, and Markos had been standing, waiting and observing the whole issue, ready to come at Lord Axi's orders.

"Very well then." the Legionnaire saluted Lord Axi. "I shall now be going, Lord."

With that, the Legionnaire swept past Lord Axi and proceeded to relate the situation to Paitkis who grimaced with every step.

"Ah, Lord?" Markos warily approached Lord Axi.

Lord Axi stood, quivering. "I'll not have anything to do with that fiend." He muttered at length, then stalked away to his tent. Markos looked at Oz who shrugged, "Politics," he muttered. Markos shook his head, "Well, it seems we have a new Commander for our Commander."

"Aye," Oz replied, thoughtfully, "that it does… May he prove competent, whatever his failures."

"Well, hopefully, that, at least, we can hope for." Markos replied.

Cannan, Babylon
1 Week Later

"Welcome… Fellow General, and charioteer." General Siddiqui extended his hand in greeting to the newly arrived General. "Oh," replied the General, somewhat distractedly, "I don't ride in the chariots- it's much too dangerous." As the General shook Siddiqui's hand, Siddiqui grimaced. "How can that be?" He asked, disgustedly.

"Oh, really quite easily- I know little about war- so I feel that I should not be privy to destruction therin." The General gave a short, curt nod to Siddiqui.

"But how can you be a General then?"

"My Uncle appointed me. General Tacticus Senior, I am sure that you have heard of him, and his campaigns against the hated Indians to the East? No?"

"Yes, I have… So this would make you,"

"General Tacticus Junior." The General interrupted, "Yes it would." He changed the subject
"I look forward to having you under me. You have accomplished quite a lot during your career- several major battles- several major improvements in Ur, including the new Barracks. I think I have a lot to learn from you indeed."

"What was that?" General Siddiqui frowned.

"Oh, I merely said that I have a lot to learn from you." General Tacticus replied, grabbing a complimentary drinking mug and downing the contents. General Tacticus wiped the froth of the beer from his mouth, then let loose with a hearty burp.

"No… No… Before that." General Siddiqui stared icily. "When you mentioned that I would be serving 'Under' you."

"Oh yes, that, well, you shall." General Tacticus took another swig. "You know, you really should get wine- wine tastes so much better."

"Wine doesn't grow here. And we have no caravans for import." General Siddiqui stared at General Tacticus icily. "So, you and your two Charioteer units are going to replace me?"

"No, not replace you, merely to have you serve under me as my subordinate as my field commander

"I serve under no man. I am an Imran." Siddiqui snarled.

"Well, I am truly sorry- but after your latest reports, King Nebuchadnezzar II had but no choice… I think it may make you feel better to tell you that I saved you from execution- that was Nebuchadnezzar's first idea. His second was stripping your title- but, he says, if we hold Cannan, you 'might' be able to retain that.

"No, it was only thanks to me that you are standing here right now and not rotting in some prison, or reclining on the hillside, your entrails spilled out to be eaten by the crows… No, you owe a lot to me, because I admire you and your previous, ah, accomplishments. Yes, I saved you, and," Tacticus picked up a drumstick and bit off it, tearing into the flesh, "I think you should be, mmm… grateful."

"I-am." General Siddiqui ecked out, then shook Tacticus' hand again and retreated to his quarters on the excuse of feeling faint.

"I've had it. I have sunk as low as I can. I owe my life to a- a- foppish court, armchair General." General Imran sat before an idol of Marduk and puzzled out his life. "What am I to do? I owe him my life- but just from looking at him I can see that he is going to be ineffective and get me killed.
"Why me? Why was I saved? Why Marduk?"

The idol stared back, steelily concealing all its secrets.
General Siddiqui wailed.

"So, these are my troops." General Siddiqui remarked, surveying the green charioteers brought in by General Tacticus.

"Yup." Tacticus burped, then beat his belly and laughed. "Well, that certainly didn't go down alltogether too well."

"Perhaps," Siddiqui answered, preoccupied.

"Who is my associate General? My opposite?'

General Tacticus stared incomprenedingly for a moment, then nodded and laughed, "Oh, that'd be General Jaguar Warrior."

"Jaguar Warrior?" Siddiqui asked.

"He deserves the name." Tacticus nodded. "He slaughtered a Jaguar with his bear hands; then led a group of citizens to destroy the rest of the Jaguar's tribe before he was 16."

"Quite a ferocious warrior." Siddiqui remarked, for once seeing a glint of light on the horizon, it seemed this 'Jaguar Warrior' could fight, but could he lead… That led to be determined.

"I'll get someone to fetch him." Tacticus pointed to a man in the review line, "You, go fetch the General."

"Yes General." The man saluted, then ran off to do his duty.

Minutes later, General Jaguar Warrior returned, carrying a stark wooden spear and wearing several animal pelts. He bore no armor. "Yeah, Sir." He muttered. "Whatsit ya want me to see."

"This man, my friend, this man is going to be your good compatriot during the upcoming conflict."

"Ah, I see, it's him. Hey." Jaguar pushed past Tacticus and grabbed Siddiqui's hand in a death-like grip. Siddiqui gripped back, sizing up his fellow General. Jaguar bore a toothy smile and looked none older than 21, perhaps 22.

"General?" Siddiqui inquired after breaking his handshake with Jaguar.

"Yes?" Tacticus replied.

"Did you appoint this man?"

"Yes."

"I see." Siddiqui's face fell once again, then he turned to Jaguar Warrior and asked a straightforward tactical question. Jaguar was mystified for a second, then answered, "Hit the ******* right in the ******* middle of the ****** field of the ******* battle. Rush the ******* Greeks, that's the only way to ******* win. Fear, Fear will win the ******* day. The ******* Greeks ain't got nothing that can fight fear, can they?" Siddiqui shook his head, not out of agreement, but out of disgust, this man was a tactical idiot. "Good." Jaguar smiled. "No one can ****** fight fear- not even you, fair General." Jaguar jammed his spear into the dusty ground.

Siddiqui considered the man, yes he did seem as if he would be a good soldier, a good charioteer perhaps, a good berserker, certainly, but NOT a good leader- this man only knew one tactic- the rush. Siddiqui was quite worried. Not only could Tacticus not fight, he could not see who could truly lead. Siddiqui feared for his life after his forces lost the upcoming battle.

General Jaguar Warrior stared back at Siddiqui, toothlessly and viciously, as if sizing up a contending opponent.

Outside Cannan
2 Weeks Later

"That 'Lord Civ' is a ****** ******** son of a *****, ******* ******!" Oz of the Wolf bellowed, kicking crockery around the campground.

"What happened?" Dan approached Oz, warily.

Oz whirled on Dan, frothing, "Do you ****** know what ******* happened! I'll show you what ******* happened!" Oz grabbed Dan and dragged him to the top of the hill. Oz pushed Dan forward and gestured, "Look at the ****** plains! He's ******* charging Cannan at ****** twelve o'clock in the ****** morning! The hottest ******* time of day- on the hottest ****** day in the year- all the metal here burns- his ****** Legionnaires in their ****** metal death suits will ****** cook alive! Look at me, I'm not even wearing any ******* armor!
"And did you consider this- he's making the assault WITHOUT any chariot support! If the enemy rushes out to meet him with their three, yes THREE, they have three ******* chariot units inside that city in addition to their ******* warrior- Do you know what's going to happen- 'Lord Civ, son of Man's' going to be ******* slaughtered out in the ******* heat. And he didn't even bother to ******* tell us!"

"What?" Dan was breathless.

Oz spat on the ground, "Look at them, look at them!"

"I am-" Dan replied.

"Markos has already run to tell Lord Axi- by Jupiter why couldn't Civ have ****** told us- were we really so ****** inferior to him because we ******* didn't kill every ******* Babylonian. He's going to get ****** slaughtered if he ****** walks up to their ****** walls- we aren't ******* Gods, ***dammit!"

"I have no room for failtures." Considered Lord Civ, son of Man as his forces marched towards the city of Cannan. "No, surely, it was right to leave Lord Axi behind. He would only foul up the mechanics of my troops, and I cannot have that." Lord Civ's face turned red. "My, it certainly is Hot," He took off his heavy metal helmet and discarded it by the wayside. "This isn't the best weather to fight in, is it." He wiped his gloved hands through his sticky black hair and sighed. "Whew, I needed that airing. If I get a spear to the head- I deserve it, however, I cannot stand that heat.
"Ah well, the battle's almost here."

Lord Civ's Legionnaires shared his sentiments as they treked along under the hot sun during the most heated time of the day.
Old June 28, 2002, 20:20   #14
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

Local Time: 19:10
Daam.... your story is great, it rules, it beats mine by mile! (If you didn't understand I want me included in the story too )

But really, the story is great.
Old June 28, 2002, 23:15   #15
DarkCloud
staff

Thanks Cavalier- but just so you know- you are already in the story [You are the leader of Siddiqui's death guard- so if he's mentioned somewhere, you are likely to find the Dark Cavalier there too ] But in case you didn't notice the Dark Cavalier before- you have a slightly larger part in this issue
-

"We carry the field!" A cheer went up among the Babylonian charioteers as they pursued the shattered remnants of Lord Civ's Legionnaires from the fields.

Lord Civ's men shed armor as they ran. Most were cut down where they stood. Their box formation had been no good against the Babylonian chariots, darting in and out among the men like reapers reaping corn. Their scythes, the swords and axes, bit down into the Greek's, tearing out their throats, hearts, and souls. Within less than an hour, Lord Civ's men had dropped their weapons and fled.

Lord Civ himself led one part of the retreat, the only orderly part, held together only by his strength of will, personality, and threats. "If any one of you lazy slobs- poor excuses for Greeks, even poorer for Corinthians, If ANY one of you breaks and runs and survives and ISN'T with my forces when we regroup- I will kill you- personally!" He screamed from the head of his column, holding off several Babylonian charioteers. And his men believed him, if only because the heat of the battle had befuddled their minds and for the fact that they knew, knew in their hearts, that a man of Lord Civ's caliber and strength of will would be a hard one for the Babylonians to fell. And, if the Lord survived, and when he survived- he would exact revenge, lashing out against any who opposed him, in the past, present, or in the imagined future. Lord Civ was, despite his headstrongness, his bluster and his ego, a strong man, one who was well aware of any plots or subterfuge. Lord Civ was a man who had survived many a planned assassination in the Courts of Corinth. He was not a man to be trifled with.

Lord Civ slashed at the charioteer rumbling towards him and knocked the man's sword from his hand. Lord Civ's face was flaming in rage, "Infidel!" He screamed "Worshipper of false idols! Where are they now! Whatso will you do when faced with the True Greek Gods! Die!" Lord Civ screamed after the retreating Babylonian who was now cradling his hurt hand. The Lord was not a man to be underestimated.

Lord Civ scolded himself, how dare he express his anger to an infidel Babylonian, a member of the Inferior Race, especially in front of his troopers. "I must never do this again." Lord Civ hissed. "It will not do well to show others that I cannot control my emotions… My emotions MUST be controlled. And they will- By Jupiter! They will!" He parried a blow from another Babylonian charioteer without saying a word. Lord Civ merely stared angrily into the Babylonian's eyes, searing into his soul. The Babylonian whimpered and withdrew. There was a sense of 'power' about the Lord. He was not a man to be challenged.

General Siddiqui was elated.

The day had been going much better than planned. Far better than expected, despite Jaguar Warrior's foolish rushes into the Greek lines which cost the man more than his fair share of troops; despite General Tacticus' foolish plan to hold back 1 unit of charioteers, in case the Greeks decided to attack from behind, and despite Siddiqui's own notion, hosted in the back of his head, that no matter what he did, he would fail.

The branch of troops Siddiqui commanded were those remaining from his conflict with the Greeks less than four weeks prior. They were bloodied and veteran troops, but there were far fewer of them than the 399 who made up a full Unit; no, he was running at half strength or less… Likely less, but he hadn't spared the troops to count. However, letting Jaguar Warrior make the first assault was a good idea. Whatever Jaguar's foolish rushes did, they surely broke the Legionnaires and sent them running from the field. Then Siddiqui sent his troops forward into the slaughter.

Siddiqui's troops had done exceptionally well… Exceptionally well… Amazingly well in fact, indeed. One contingent of them had captured over twenty Greeks who threw down their arms and pledged fealty to Siddiqui. Of course the Greeks were killed despite their show of obsequiance towards Siddiqui, it was a matter of policy, of course, but it was amazing that the Greeks were in such dire thoughts that they even harbored the notion, the very notion of surrender. Siddiqui had not known the Greeks to surrender before. And, information gleaned from the Babylonian diplomats to the Greeks had informed him that Greeks, especially Corinthians rarely surrendered. Yes, these men were broken, broken easily- with only minimal losses to the Babylonians. Ah, Siddiqui could almost smell the sweet perfumes of victory.

"Why don't we go to help them!" Markos demanded.
"It is futile." Lord Axi wiped his sun-drenched brow and wheezed, a pained expression on his face.
"Even if we were to go now, it is too late… Too late."
"But we could try." Markos persisted.
"No. We have our men ready, that is all we need to do- all we need to do is to defend. The Babylonians will come. We will cover Lord Civ's retreat. This is a better position than the valley, or even the other hill… Lord Civ was a fool-" Lord Axi bit his lip. "He attacked at the wrong time against three charioteer units! He stood no chance from the start. No. He wanted no aid, and he shall get no aid."

Markos held his tongue, then shook his head and went to his wing.

"Any news?" Dan asked.

"Only that Lord Axi refuses to enter into battle- and that he has refused to ride with Oz."

"Oi. That is not good." Dan said, somewhat somberly.

"No, it is not… I can only hope that, when this ends, we are not all branded traitors."

"Hawso wauld that be?" Thucudydies asked, notching an arrow to his wooden bow.

"Remember Lord Durrudane and his Unit of Warriors?"

"Naw?" Thucudydies asked, stupified.

"Ah, well, I suppose they don't teach much history in Eretria any more."

"That’s traue." Thucudydies nodded, then squinted into the distance, watching the battle.

"Well, it went like this: Lord Durrudane was sent to a small border town to ward off Barbarian Archers. However, he hesitated, chasing a random Babylonian warrior unit for a few square miles. By the time Durrudane and his unit arrived, the town had been taken by the Archers and was producing more Archer units.

"Durrudane recovered the town, yes, sure enough, there was only one Archer to defend it. However, in the process, he destroyed the town, and when he returned to the king, King Azakar II, the King had him promptly beheaded for treason.

"Now you see, Durrudane didn't do anything especially wrong- remember even we are supposed to prize warring with Civilized units over Barbarians- however, he failed at the mission's spirit, to save the town. He was not merely supposed to destroy the Archers but to save the town… Much as we are supposed to obey orders, yes, we should hold back from the battle, but I have a feeling that the spirit of the orders is to stay back from the battle only if Lord Civ is winning. I think we should aid him, lest we be declared traitors."

"Hmm, paosible…" Thucudydies thought, nervously drumming his fingers on his bow. "Paosible, but, I dunno… Thares no way we can win against three chariot units. I daunt know what we shauld do?"

"Neither do I- but I wish I did." Markos sighed.

Nightfall

The opposing forces of chariots stand ready on opposing hills, much as they had four weeks bygone. Lord Civ's Legionnaires were nowhere in sight, having split and run towards another part of the woods, they had disappeared along with their leader. Now all that remained for the Babylonians to surmount in expelling the invaders was for them to destroy this last chariot unit.

General Tacticus still refrained from allowing the last fresh Chariot unit out from the city, sighting concerns about a possibly sneak attack. General Siddiqui had sent several runners to Tacticus, ensuring him that there was and would be absolutely no sneak attack as he had the Greek chariots nearly pinned along their camp at the hill. General Tacticus would not listen, he merely replied, through runner, that he was obviously the better General as his stationing of the unit in the city had guaranteed that there would be no sneak attack due to the fact that the unit had frightened off all planners. General Siddiqui gnashed his teeth and turned to the leader of the Death Watch, The Dark Cavalier. "So?" Siddiqui asked. "What do you think? How should we best handle this next battle."

"I would smash them in half." The Dark Cavalier stated starkly.

"Not you too!" Siddiqui threw up his hands in defeat. "Does no one here have any imagination?"

"General?" The Dark Cavalier inquired venomously.

"Apologies, Commander." Siddiqui said hastily. "I have come up with no better plans- we could of course circle around the enemy and attack them from behind, but that would let them smash through our line and get behind us before we even began to think of getting behind them. No, that plan is no good.
"But the other plan is too straightforward- it's what we always do."

"And it has always worked." The Dark Cavalier replied stonily, hand on his sword hilt, gripping and relaxing, gripping and relaxing, as if exercising his hand.

"But WILL it always work." Siddiqui sighed.

"Only Marduk knows, General."

"I wish Marduk was here to tell us all that he knows." Siddiqui spat.

"You would do well to respect the Gods, lest they refrain from respecting you." The Dark Cavalier glared at his General.

"Ah, I know, Cavalier, I know, but- sometimes- the strain, of this occupation-" Siddiqui struggled to say the words.

"Be wary General, lest you soon find yourself in another occupation.
"I am dismissed am I not?" The Dark Cavalier turned to leave.

"Yes, you are." Siddiqui waved him away.

The Dark Cavalier darkly strode out of the room, taking his gloom with him.

Siddiqui's gloom remained. "I should not tempt the Gods… Well, I'll try not to- but it is hard." He lamented, then sighed and turned to his bed, a heap of straw on the ground. "Marduk knows what the morrow may bring." He sighed wearily again and bent down to sleep.
Old June 29, 2002, 18:49   #16
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

Hahaha! Thanks, DarkCloud. With Dan, Markos and Civ I thought I was too unimportant to be mentioned. My char rules! It's .... it's ... well ... it's DARK... MWAHAHAHA!
Old June 29, 2002, 19:15   #17
DarkCloud
staff

At dawn, the sun, instead of bringing life, brought death and destruction onto the rise where the Greeks rose to meet the Babylonian invaders. The chariots clashed and precipitated an enormous battle on the rise. Lord Axi sat on a lone horse, darkly observing the whole matter with his unit's support staff and Paiktis.

"Ya know- this is gettin' mighty boring fairly fast." Oz of the Wolf dealt a death blow to a Babylonian charioteer, causing his team of horses to rear up angrily, dumping the riders onto the ground where they were trampled by others.

"What's that Sir?" Diablo, his new driver, a replacement after Oz's previous team had died in an overturned chariot, asked.

"I said- it's gettin' mighty boring- we've fought the same troops these last few ******** days. I mean- I wish they'd a' drop dead for once and fer all. I like a littul variety once in a'while, ya know?" Oz chatted while swinging his sword, bringing death down upon the Babylonians.

"Yes, well we all have to deal with war time and time again." Diablo stated, philosophically.

"Well- I don't care about war- I care about repetitiveness. War I can handle."

Diablo stared at Oz, startled.

Oz grunted and yelled to the troops on his and the center wing. "Onward! We'll circle around them!"

His men gave a hearty yell and followed him along the side of the Babylonian chariots.

On the left wing, Markos encountered the full power of the combined Babylonian chariot forces. He did his best to push them away, but failed miserably as a young berserker bearing many wounds, remnants of past battles, ferociously plowed into Markos' lines and gutted them.

Markos called a retreat.

"Hurry Dan!" Markos screamed as their chariot sped away from the oncoming onslaught.

"I'm doing the best I can!" Dan yelled back.

Thucudydies let a few arrows fly at the Babylonians, both shots missing, going wide.

At the center of the Babylonians rode their crazed leader. Suddenly, the leader yelled something to his driver and his horses spurred forward, faster than before, the berserker screaming his mad battle cry.

Markos gritted his teeth and prepared to meet the warrior.

All was going well despite General Jaguar Warrior’s decision to crash through the lines and disappear somewhere into the Greek lines of retreat along with twelve of his chariots. Siddiqui grimaced. The man was too undisciplined. Too undisciplined by half. No one, no one except a man with a death wish would break ranks, even to enter into a retreat. It just was not done. But then again, with Jaguar Warrior gone, Siddiqui would be the leading field commander. Siddiqui smiled as his chariot sat, protected amidst the storm by The Dark Cavalier and a newly assembled Death Guard.

"Blast! What’s ****ing happening!" Oz of the Wolf screamed, noticing the men in his wings start to break from the battlefield. "What's wrong!" He yelled. "Come on, regroup!"

One voice called as the man's chariot thundered by, "The Left Wing fell- the main force of Babylonians is wheeling around to face us."

"****." Oz of the Wolf cursed, then laughed. "By Zeus we'll show the ******** who's the true warriors on this field. REGROUP!"

"Sorry Captain, we don't have the men." The man said, then urged his chariot-driver on, off onto the plains, presumably to circle around and enter the protected forest eventually.

Oz of the Wolf screamed, "So- I'll have to lead this myself! Come on Diablo- we're headed for THERE!" He pointed to a clustered group of chariots, presumably defending someone or something.

Diablo cracked his whip and the horses thundered off towards the group.

The Dark Cavalier met the new arrival with the steel of his blade, unspeaking. He glared at the Greek. The Greek grinned bloodthirstily, "So- you think you can meet blades with Oz of the Wolf- do ye?" The Dark Cavalier grunted. They broke off swords as their horses moved away. Minutes later, Oz returned, sword bloody, "Sorry I didn't have tha time to clean it. I sliced open one, maybe two of your friends necks."

The Dark Cavalier snarled and swung wildly. Oz countered it. "So, you think you can outdo me- do ye?"

Oz feinted, The Dark Cavalier moved to meet the feint, then faltered as Oz's blade drew blood on The Dark Cavalier's left arm. "Aaaah!" The Cavalier screamed and lashed out. Oz felt the blunt portion of the blade strike his shoulder. "Oof." He grunted and grimaced, then set into The Dark Cavalier again, drawing blood along The Dark Cavalier's right cheek. The Dark Cavalier screamed and again lashed out.

On the opposite side of Oz's battle, another Death Guard chariot engaged Oz's archer/swordsman. The swordsman countered the Death Guard's first blow, but fell as a second sliced into his collar bone, and died as a third cut through his head.

Oz's driver turned to look at the carnage, screamed, then spirited away the horses.

Oz leaned forward and was about to deliver a blow when the chariot lurched forward. "What are you doing you fool!" He screamed. "I almost a' had him there!"

"You would not have wished to die." Diablo muttered, and fled with the horses, following the rest of Oz's force.

"Blast you!" Oz cursed, and continued to curse. "If I killed him theyd'a surrendered- he was their leader- I'm sure of it."

Diablo kept silent.

"So we retreat." Lord Axi stated gloomily, then reeled his horse around and set off for the forest. His support staff followed as they were able.

Scant minutes later, the Babylonians burst into the Greek camp, slaughtering the injured and burning the tents.

Jaguar Warrior's chariot thundered up to Markos'. The man, who was not quite a man, let out a blood-curdling scream and jumped from his chariot into Markos'. Markos stumbled backwards into Thucudydies who dropped his sword upon the impact. Dan, the driver, drew his sword and dropped the reins, trusting the horses' sense of direction. Dan parried a blow by Jaguar Warrior with his sword, then stood as Jaguar Warrior whirled to face Markos' blow.

Jaguar Warrior whirled twice and sliced off the reins to the chariot, detaching it from the horses. Suddenly, the chariot was gliding unattached. The General then thrust at Markos who was falling forward unsupported. Thucudydies, who was holding onto his wooden bow-holder, grabbed Markos by the leg and saved him from tumbling forward onto the ground or into Jaguar Warrior's blade.

Dan stepped forward and stabbed Jaguar Warrior in the side. Jaguar Warrior stumbled backwards and screamed, falling from the chariot.

The chariot continued on a few more yards until it struck a large rock, sending all its occupants flying into the air.

"General Siddiqui." Tacticus began, gesturing to a sheet of parchment. "The majority of the casualties came from your unit- which we are dissolving."

"That's because we've been fighting the most. Not because I am incompetent." Siddiqui denied.

"In Nebuchadnezzar's eyes, that is no excuse." General Tacticus sighed.

"I'm sorry General, but it is the truth." Siddiqui stated blandly.

"It is not- I'm sorry my fellow General, I wish I could use you- Marduk knows I need you now that Jaguar Warrior is gone, but I feel that if I wish to remain in good standing with Nebuchadnezzar, I must dismiss you. I will not kill you, and I do not urge you to return to Nebuchadnezzar, but your usefulness is done."

"It is not!" General Siddiqui screamed defiantly, eyes searching the room for some implement to kill the General with.

As the General continued his apologies, Siddiqui discovered such an object. He casually eased himself over to the sword, then slowly drew it. Suddenly, the General noticed Siddiqui's plan.

"You would not." He stated, outraged.

"I would." Siddiqui replied coldly.

"I-" The words were cut off by a scream. A short scuffle followed, then the General, Siddiqui emerged frowning from the room, holding a bloody sword in one hand, the General's head in the other.

Lord Axi gathered the remnants of his charioteers on the other side of the forest and rallied them as best he could.

"We still have our supplies for the most part no?"

There was no response.

"We still have half our tents- remember, we only left half on the field in anticipation of a victory- some people," Cloud nodded, "thought ahead and packed them- so we won't have to sleep under the stars."

A slight cheer went up for that statement.

"Now!" Lord Axi screamed, attempting to keep a glad demeanor, and raise the morale of his battered troops. "Now we go on, towards safety, towards a border city- To Delphi!"

The men, too worn-out from their daily exertions, mentally and physically, failed to cheer. They merely
stepped, vacantly into line and followed Lord Axi's ragged march, leading their exhausted horses and chariots.

King Christantine stood waiting in the audience chambers, awaiting the words of the Oracle at Delphi.

Eventually, he was summoned.

He had never before entered the oracle and was, as such, awed by the sheer majesty of the gigantic building. It stood over thirty meters tall over an outcropping of rocks on the edge of a vast cliff. And inside- inside the Oracle was filled with all the greatest Greek works of art- from Laöcoon, to the Discus Thrower, to Apollodorous. Even several Egyptian works decorated the vast marble and golden halls.

The sound of Christantine's steps resonated throughout the building as he walked, awestruck, through its halls. The short woman, draped in a brown shawl, who was escorting him abruptly stopped in front of a golden throne, covered with carvings of the all-seeing Eye and the snakes of Delphi.

On the throne sat the Oracle, surrounded by several venomous snakes, staring blankly into the chamber.

King Christantine went to his knees.

"You may speak." Said the Oracle, hardly moving her lips.

King Christantine coughed nervously, then began: "Oh Great and Powerful Oracle, All seeing eye, I come humbly before you to humbly ask you this humble question: What must I do to prevent a civil war in this Kingdom and keep the Greeks united."

The Oracle sat for a few minutes, then began to speak. "What one must do to prevent a civil war is this- nothing. The war is inevitable- but to survive one must first defeat a traitor- a true and eager traitor through and through. One who hath no qualms about attacking a superior foe"

(well, finally a break from the repetitiveness of war; with the Greek's defeat- now we enter into politics)

Last edited by DarkCloud; June 13, 2004 at 12:57.
Old July 3, 2002, 16:05   #18
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

Is the first part finished? Or are you going to continue?
Old July 4, 2002, 21:33   #19
DarkCloud
staff

I might- I'll write it when I can- especially if I win I'll finish it- but as it is- other writings take precedence (such as my novel)

No matter what, I'm at least going to write another installment in the next few days-

But it will take 2 or three more installments before the grand finale (already planned out throughly )

Thank you for your dedication to the story
Old July 5, 2002, 17:36   #20
DarkCloud
staff

Lord Civ, son of Man arrived at Delphi with the tattered remnants of his force. He led a grand, but glum procession into the city with the remaining 412 of the 1000 Legionnaires who had set out.

When the procession was completed, King Christantine approached Lord Civ. Lord Civ turned to the King and knelt as he approached. "How were you defeated?" The King gritted his teeth as he stared penetratingly into Lord Civ's eyes.

Lord Civ coughed. "Lord King, I was betrayed."

"By whom?"

"The charioteers. They refused to join me in battle. Their leader, Lord Axi must have gone over to the Babylonians immediately after the battle. They wish to see the Greek Kingdom destroyed. They have no love for their fellow Greek. They must be destroyed… Completely."

"This is disturbing news." King Christantine stared grimly.

"Yes, it truly is. And all of it is true. The Charioteers deserted us on the field- failing even to join my unit in its attack. And thus, we suffered a devastating loss… We can recover however- we are GREEKS!" Lord Civ rose and turned to his men. "Are we worms or are we GREEKS!"

"We are GREEKS!" the men replied, with somewhat higher morale, thrusting their swords and spears into the air.

"I will have this investigated." King Christantine whirled away from Lord Civ.

"You should not doubt me- I never lie." Lord Civ shouted after King Christantine. The King walked on oblivious, deep in thought.

Delphi, One Week Later

"How dare you arrest me!" Lord Axi screamed as the guards grabbed him by his arms.

"Sorry chief, It's an order." One said gruffly. The other sneered- "So our former Lord is a traitor- and he's returned thinking that he can cause more trouble… Well, he'll get his just deserts."

"Why do you treat me like a common thief!" Lord Axi flailed wildly. Paiktis moved to help him.

"Woah there one-legs," the sneering guard yelled to Paiktis. "You best keep away or I'll have to kill ya… Or throw you in the brig with this one." He gestured to Lord Axi. Paiktis stood helplessly, pivoting on his wooden leg.

"Isn't it NICE to be treated like a COMMONER?" The sneering guard said sarcastically, scoffing at Lord Axi.

As a result of Lord Axi's continued screaming, several other guards joined the two original and assisted in dragging him down the stairs of the Prison.

Markos and Dan stood by helplessly.

"Och. I wish we could do something." Oz of the Wolf leaned on his sword hilt, watching the proceedings with disgust. "Politics." He spat. "The only thing dirtier than combat- too dirty for me." He spat again, grabbed his sword and walked away grumbling.

"Well," Markos considered. "I suppose that our unit is to be dispersed… and dissolved."

"We don't know that yet." Dan offered.

"Yeahr, but that gauy ovah thare ish sayin' that'sh wahts gewing ta happen." Thucudydies pointed towards a resplendently dressed officer who was walking the lines of charioteers, taking names, then dismissing.

All around the sides of the streets, commoner’s frowns greeted the Unit.

Markos knew not why.

Athens, Hellas

"So." Lord Braund, ruler of Sparta, sneered. "The much-vaunted and exhalted Legionnaires have failed. Well, that serves them well. Well indeed." He laughed. The rest of the Council followed.

"Now, I have new matters of consequence… new 'issues' to discuss, friends. The first order of business is how we should best depose the King."

"We cannana dispose him." The emissary from Thessalonica objected.

"Why is this? Pray tell, enlighten us?" Lord Braund turned to the emissary.

"Wella, itsa nota done that way- our capitol needs ta be taken for thar to be a revolt."

"Who says that it hasn't already fallen?" Lord Braund smiled.

"What?" The emissary asked, perplexed.

"You see," Lord Braund gestured out the window. The assembled Lords and emissaries craned their necks to see. "All those troops in front of this building are loyal neither to Athens and Christantine- but Sparta and myself.

"Gentlemen." Lord Braund folded his hands together gleefully. "A new era has begun. Starting immediately; the Science Rate will be reduced to 10%, taxes lowered to 50% and Luxuries raised to 40%, beginning a new Golden Age- a new Greater Greek People's Republic- chaired by me of course… Subject to a brief period of Anarchy." Lord Braund laughed.

"Now, who is willing to join me."

The council hesitated for a moment. Then the emissary from Thermopalaye raised his hand. "The King has done next to nothing to protect our provinces. I trust Lord Braund to do better."
The sole Lord from Athens was the next to raise his hand, "I support Lord Braund's coup fully- since he has already obviously subverted the troops."

Lord Braund made a mental note to replace that Lord as soon as was expedient. He had no room in his future Republic cabinet for toadies or schemers.

Lord Velociryx of Corinth was the next to voice his agreement, followed by the emissary from Thessalonica.

Lord Mccleod of Eretia snorted and left the table.

The guards made to stop him. "No." Lord Braund waved them away. "Let him go. Let him warn the others… It matters not, it is too late for them anyway!" Lord Braund let loose with maniacal laughter. The others joined in.

Last edited by DarkCloud; June 8, 2004 at 19:21.
Old July 15, 2002, 15:16   #21
DarkCloud
staff

Corrections:

Jupiter=Zeus... I have no idea how I flubbed this.
In part 7 when Lord Braund says "the much-vaunted charioteers have failed" he means "the much-vaunted LEGIONNAIRES have failed"

Thanks for bearing with me

If more errors crop up in earlier places... I'll edit the posts, but as yet they are minor.

I hope you enjoy this story so far

It is coming to a bloody conclusion.

Should I continue it?

-
(Part 8)

“While Lord Axi rots in the prisons of Delphi, we sit here doing nothing.” Dan threw a stick into the burning fire.

“So, we are ‘traitors.’” Markos complained.

“Yeah, that seems ta be the case.” Oz of the Wolf growled.

“It iz naught ah trau statement.” Thucudydies whined, pacing back and forth, fiddling with his bow.

Shouts reached the group.

“What’s that?” Markos stood, squinting into the darkness.

“Ssshh… I think I can make it out.” Dan craned his neck forward and strained his ears. After a moment he said, “I think they’re saying ‘Kill the Traitor! Down with Christantine!’ Although I can’t truly be sure.”

Seconds later the mob was upon them. Their leader shouted to the group, gathered around the fire. “Join us and overthrow the blasted King!”

“Why?” Markos asked, grabbing the hilt of his sword.

“Because he refuses to raise luxury rates and because he placed a traitor in command of the Charioteers!
And- he formed a useless Legionnaire’s unit! Lord Civ could have led a grand army if he had been in charge of Charioteers, but he was relegated to commanding common foot soldiers! Foot soldiers! Who would have believed it!”

“I’m not sure about this.” Markos murmered. “Have you no loyalty to your liege lord?”

“We hold no loyalty to our old King- have you not heard the news? Lord Braund has seized the Senate and proclaimed himself King !”

The mob let up a cry, “Long Live the King!”

“But Christantine is our true Ruler- Braund is but a Usurper and a Spartan.”

The Mob Leader walked up to Markos and jabbed him in the chest with his finger. “Are you saying you support the ‘former’ King?”

“I am not saying that at all.” Markos protested. “I wish to take no side in this matter.”

“Hey, wait a minute.” The Mob’s leader squinted in the dark. “I think I recognize those colors- you’re a charioteer.”

“One of the traitors!” The mob yelled and pressed in.

Oz grabbed his sword and started hacking. Markos fell back and braced himself for an attack. The Mob Leader laughed and retreated, calling to Markos, “I fight with words- scum… But these fight with swords.” He grinned and disappeared into the mob.

The mob came upon the party.

The Next Day

“King Christantine. You have been hereby placed under arrest.” Lord Civ stated, staring cooly at the King. The King quivered in anger and lashed forth, but was restrained by two guards and their pointed pikes.

“How can you do this!” Christantine screamed. “An enemy has not taken the capital- we cannot split unless the capital falls to a foreign enemy!”

“Times have changed, Christantine.” Lord Civ smiled and turned his back on his former Monarch, then whirled back on him and laughed, “You shall not survive long- Christantine. Lord Braund will rule, as soon as you are put on trial.”

“The trial will be a farce!” King Christantine screamed. “I am no traitor!”

“Oh,” Lord Civ laughed. “Enough here present think that you are a traitor.” He snapped his fingers and strode from the room.

The guards grabbed the former King and dragged him, kicking, into the prisons.

“So, we meet again.” Lord Axi replied venomously, looking at his new cell-mate, the former King of Greece.

King Christantine stared downcast at the ground and mumbled something.

“Now you know who is the true traitor.” Lord Axi said, glaring at Christantine.

“He was an idiot- an incompetent idiot!” Lord Axi stood up, face full of rage. He paced a few feet and kicked at the dirt. “He attacked without my support during the hottest time of day! He attacked three charioteer units at once. What type of idiot does that! I am amazed that he survived the attack. It would be better for us all if he did not.”

King Christantine merely studied the ground.

“You disgust me.” Lord Axi glared at his Monarch.

The Next Day

“The only way we’re going to ride this out is if we free the King and reform a Loyalist Army.” Markos studied those gathered. “We are marked men. You saw the posters. Lord Civ had them put up himself, branding any former member of Lord Axi’s Charioteers a traitor to the New Monarchy.”

Oz rocked forward on his rock and muttered something to the ground.

“Yes, I do agree. Lord Civ is a *******.” Markos nodded his head. “His posters of our heads were plastered up all over the town. It is a miracle we survived and reformed in these woods. Sadly we only have one third the strength of a normal unit.” Markos sighed. “Only seventy charioteers and thirty three chariots survived last night’s assault on the camps.”

“What do we do, oh fearless leader?” Dan nonchalantly kicked up his feet on another rock.

Markos sighed, “I don’t know… We could free Christantine and retreat to the hills, and possibly discover some other loyalist units… I’m not sure exactly what our course of action needs be.

Athens, Hellas

In the secluded halls of the Imperial Palace, the former Lord Braund, now King Braund met his mistress. He took her in his arms and whispered something in her ear. She giggled. “I always wanted to be someone important.” She laughed gayly.

King Braund put his arm around her back. “My husband was always off on something or other.” She chuckled, brushing her bangs off the front of her face. Lord Braund bent down and kissed her. She giggled again. “Oh, Braund, what will your wife think?”

“No need to worry about that.” Braund replied. “Alnistera is too busy tending to the children- she insists she must- she doesn’t want a ‘servant’ doing the work for her.”

“Oh, it was a goodly thing that you met me in the market all those days ago.” Bella laughed as they entered the bedchamber.

A figure hovered suspiciously in the nearby shadows a few moments after they entered the chamber, then flew off to impart its news.

Many Hours Later

“King Braund.” A young fat, turtle-like message-runner approached the King breathlessly and extended a slightly crumpled letter to his Monarch.

“Yes, what is it Meton?” The King grabbed the message from the messenger’s outstretched arm.

“This is bad.” The King muttered, reading the letter. He read aloud. “Lord MccLeod of Eretria and three rebel charioteer units have engaged our two loyalist Spartan charioteers outside the city of Thessalonica.”
“Blast,” he muttered, then looked up.

The King watched his wife approach him, stamping angrily to the throne.

“You’ve been fooling around with that commoner.” She screamed, said the word, “commoner”, with disgust.

“How did you know?” The King arched his eyebrow.

“I have my ways-” Alnistera glared at her husband. “Am I really not good enough for you?” She raised her hands into the air, pulling at invisible strands and tying them... seemingly in a strangling web.

“Ah well, its-“ the King sputtered, trying to explain, gulping hard and wondering what to make of this delicate situation.

Delphi, Hellas

“Thinking of the plan?” Dan asked Markos.

“No. My wife. I… I-” Markos sighed. “I wonder how she’s doing at home during this horrid Civil War? I hope to Zeus that she is safe. I will not have anything happen to her. I must not have anything happen to her.” Markos clenched his fist tightly and murmered, “I hope she’s safe.”

“Bella?” Dan snorted, tossing his head back in laughter. “She probably found someone else by now. She’s safer than you I’ll bet.”

“Yes,” Markos cast his eyes down glumly, then nodded. “That’s probably true…” Changing the topic, Markos pointed to the plan laid out before them on the parchment. “So, we’ll try this tonight.”

“Or die in the process.” Dan quipped- “Get your sleep now- you won’t want it later.” He laughed, pounded Markos on the back, then walked over to a coin flipping game in progress a few meters away.

Markos sighed and studied the prison's map.

Last edited by DarkCloud; June 8, 2004 at 19:19.
Old May 25, 2004, 08:13   #22
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 12:10
Thank you for the link to this DC

I have printed it off and will enjoy it on the train this week
Old May 29, 2004, 15:02   #23
DarkCloud
staff

Well, good luck. I hope you enjoy it
Old June 5, 2004, 11:19   #24
DarkCloud
staff

So... just wondering- how was it?

have you finished it yet?
Old June 6, 2004, 02:47   #25
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I have not finished it yet

I am enjoying it so far though

Leads to me to ask why you are not writing these days?

49 pages takes a few train trips
Old June 6, 2004, 11:25   #26
DarkCloud
staff

Thanks I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Why I'm not writing for civ III or AC these days- well, I was working on my novel, (which I have since sent off to a major publisher), so I couldn't spend too much time on 'fun' writing.

And also, very few people seem to read the tales here. (In fact, I myself am also guilty- I usually only read the 1-3 page tales and skim the rest) so it didn't have too much payoff (not when I was submitting short stories to publishers and hoping for monentary payment )

Yeah, I'll admit it the tale is quite long (I wrote a similarly long one for Alpha Centauri that's also about 3/4ths finished, but I abandoned that one not because too few people were reading it, but because I got too busy writing my real novel and couldn't get back into the story itself.)
Old June 6, 2004, 23:07   #27
Paddy
Prince

wow - that is one busy schedule you have had there

how long till you hear back from the publishers?
Old June 7, 2004, 13:54   #28
DarkCloud
staff

Well, I should have received a postcard that said they received my novel by now (actually, they should have sent it to me last week) So in a few weeks, I'm going to give their offices a call (And hope that I don't annoy them)

After hearing back if they received the tale, I have until December to hear if they will purchase it or not... if they purchase it, I will likely be even more busy (since my tale is part I of III-IV books ) and all I have right now on those books is a fairly vivid outline... but no matter- it only takes me a year to write 180K good words
Old June 7, 2004, 20:18   #29
PresidentMarcos
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Warlord

Hmm. Is Markos based on me by any chance? Only one letter difference.
Old June 7, 2004, 22:40   #30
DarkCloud
staff

If it'll make you enjoy the story- then yes