Old June 25, 2002, 03:35   #1
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 22:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
Oops
The year, 2016.

The Planet, Earth.

Thurougly extended, the cold war has flared up into a heated war, both leaders are poised to push the button at any moment, both leaders are afraid of the consequences of pushing that button.

John McCain, newly elected President of the United States of America, entered the Oval office with a look of forlorn. After meeting with the Russian ambassador, it was very clear to him that peace was a difficult option.

"Mr. President, Vladimir Rostov is on the line."

President McCain collected his thoughts and picked up the reciever.

"Mister Rostov, to what do I owe this unexpected telephone call?"

"I wish to extend my most sincere apologies in advance, one of my soldiers accidentally launched a nuclear warhead at your city of Los Angeles."

"WHAT!!!!?"

"Once again I apologize for this mistake."

"I have to go now."

"That is understandable, goodbye mister president."

"JAMES, FULL ALERT, INCOMING TO L. A.!!!"

James got on the phone to the airbase in Los Angeles.

"Los Angeles Air Guard"

"You have an incoming nuclear warhead, this is not a drill, code number: seven, seven, four, eight, niner. I repeat, seven, seven, four, eight, niner. This is the real thing, good luck."

The phone operator sounded the alarm to scramble, hopefully they could get the missile while it was still above its critical damage height. There would be a loss of American lives, but they were to see to it that the loss would be as minimal as possible.

"Squadron leader this is Tower 1 high command, do you copy? Over"

"Roger that Tower 1, this is Squadron Leader Mike Fitzpatrick reading you loud and clear. Over."

"Your target is a class one soviet, nuclear warhead, aim for the propulsion end, we would prefer this thing detonating in the desert as opposed to L. A. Over."

"Roger Tower 1, Mike Fitzpatrick over and out."

The jets screamed towards their target, what they were to try and do is get a perpendicular shot on the missile, to cause the least risk of explosion, and to crash it into the desert.

"Bogey at eleven o'clock, altitude 1100 feet and dropping."

"Roger that Tower 1, men you heard him, find that missile!!"

John McCain stood in the whitehouse lawn, looking towards the west.

"Phone call, Mr. President."

"Thank you James."

He picked up the phone.

"John McCain."

"Mister President, it is me again."

"What do you want now Vladimir."

"Look up."

At that instant, another nuclear warhead was barreling down on President McCain, he heard the sonic boom, saw the flash, and then everything went dark. The last thing he thought was, "Accident, my A$$!"

_____
What'd yall think of this one?
Old June 25, 2002, 07:17   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:11
hmmmm...could be longer, but it's OK

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 25, 2002, 12:48   #3
Grundel
Warlord

Interesting, to say the least. :-D
Old June 25, 2002, 15:42   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Id have to say it is amusing.
Old June 25, 2002, 15:45   #5
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Thank you feedbackers even though Civman expects NOVELS from a brief story I write short just to tick you off Civman
Old June 25, 2002, 22:16   #6
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 13:11
Like it!
Old June 26, 2002, 11:56   #7
beno
Civilization III Democracy GameMac
Chieftain

short and sweet
Old June 28, 2002, 05:50   #8
Firebird
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 04:11

Those pesky rusians!
That was just what I needed to make the friday go faster .
Old June 28, 2002, 15:13   #9
Metaliturtle
staff
King

remember to vote
Old June 30, 2002, 22:34   #10
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 19:11
It was good, but it had three minor problems. One, it was too short, though I'm glad someone has the brains to write a short story. Every once in a while I want to read a real short one, and this is short. Two, fighters trying to shoot down a nuclear missile is too unrealistic. And three, though the ending is different, the main point of the story was too much like Fail Safe (no that's not a Civ 3 story, it's a novel and a CBS movie was made of it once). But keep up the good work.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 2, 2002, 08:26   #11
Yoda II
Settler

Very Interesting to say the least.
Old July 5, 2002, 17:34   #12
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 21:11
Pretty good story Metaliturtle. It caught me (as well as Prez. McCain) completely by surprize.

At least I was able to read the ending of your story. I very much appreciate reading all of the great stories in this forum, but I really would like to read the ending.

Thank You Metaliturtle for allowing me to finally read a story w/ an ending.
Old July 6, 2002, 19:51   #13
Metaliturtle
staff
King

sorry about that steven, I tend to discontinue stories that:

a. don't win the story contest
or
b. I don't get a response to.

Thanks for the feedback, remember to vote for ones you like.