View Poll Results: How much do we commit to bribing the Indians?
No bribery! 1 6.67%
Up to 500 gold 1 6.67%
Up to 1000 gold 1 6.67%
Up to 1500 gold 3 20.00%
Up to 2000 gold 1 6.67%
Up to 2500 gold 2 13.33%
All of it if necessary! 3 20.00%
What more could they ask for than our yummy export bananas? 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 25, 2002, 12:08   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How much do we spend on bribery?
In the coming atttack on India, we are to make use of attacks to take Delhi (the capital) first, before turning our attention to the other cities. However, many of their cities (possibly all) have City Walls (+200% bonus) and some are on rivers (+50% defence bonus). Furthermore, they have had Gunpowder for 12 or so turns now, and may have Musketeers (3 defence) as primary defenders.

We will use spies to attempt to take down Walls before attacking, but this may not be practicable for all cities involved. Once Delhi is down all of India will be much cheaper to bribe (50% cheaper I think - somebody, maybe le Marquis de Sodaq - please confirm ), and there is the chance of just bribing any tough nuts.

Vote here for how much money we can afford to use as bribe money. The options speak for themselves. If we commit no bribe money, we will attempt to kill Walls and assault with Cavalry etc. - not recommended, seeing as it may take many spy attacks to take the Walls, and we may lose some or all spies in the attempt.

We currently have 3340 gold in our coffers, and we gain 138g/ turn.

Minister of WAR, not peace.
Presidential Candidate.
MrWIA.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 25, 2002, 12:24   #2
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 05:13
It depends on the city and whats in it, to state a number now is not realy usefull, we need more info for that.

I would suggest we should keep at least 2000 gold as a strategic reserve for bribing revolting city's and buying units when we need them.
Old June 25, 2002, 12:41   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Things will get pretty complex if we started going into relative importances of each city, and will likely not be too helpful. See the Foreign Affairs report about the Indians for lotsa info. Things will have changed in the cities since we last saw them too, and we can't have cavebear stopping things just so I can repoll this with better info.

In general I am asking for an amount with which to bribe all the Indian cities beyond Delhi if necessary, thus saving troops for Babylon and Carthage. It's tricky in that we don't know how successful any attack on Walls with Musketeers will be - much safer to bribe them once we have Delhi.

Everyone keep in mind that we still may need some money for the remaining Babylon cities once we have taken their capital with my lovely SuperClads. Or we could go all out with Cavalry and hope we have enough to take on Carthage.

Personally I think we can afford to bribe our way through much of India and Babylon - we have little need for the money, and we also have over 100g per turn coming in. If we go fundy, that will shoot through the roof. Then our troops can take on Carthage easily - bribery is less needed here as they have no boomsticks!

Presidential Candidate.
MrWIA.

Old June 25, 2002, 13:08   #4
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 21:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Cities are half price when they are in revolt. Without a capitol, it is again reduced, but I don't recall how much. (I may have typed those reversed in the other thread... )

I suggest we don't bribe any city unless it is reduced in cost by one of the above factors, or is too small to cost much anyway.

How much? All of it! If spending 600g saves us 8 cavalry, I'm all for it. If we have enough spies to risk losing them while sabotaging city walls, go that route. If not, buy the tough nuts, crush the softer ones.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old June 25, 2002, 15:25   #5
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 05:13
Better destroy the temples then the city walls, this will make bribing cheaper and with us being in fundi our citizens wont get unhappy
Old June 25, 2002, 16:19   #6
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
So, no matter how we look at this, it stays situational. If we get a capital and another city is in revolt, we try to bribe it. Failing that, we try to take down the Walls and overwhelm it with Cavalry, then defend with Riflemen.

I think we just have to take each city has it comes, aside from trying to plan some initial approaches for the start of each session. When we have Spies, and can investigate the cities for free, we will know more about how to plan for what each city defense is.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old June 25, 2002, 16:29   #7
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

That's about it, my Comrade Premier. We can't make absolute plans with this little knowledge, so I'm trying to get together some powers to exercise in case we have problems overcoming their defenses with my highly trained soldiers.

Then we can send in the insidious forces of the devious Foreign Ministry.

Presidential Candidate.
MrWIA.

Old June 25, 2002, 18:49   #8
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:13
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

Then we can send in the insidious forces of the devious Foreign Ministry.
I resemble that remark

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old June 26, 2002, 17:23   #9
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 04:13
I would suggest as much as needed and worth...eg no problem giving 3000G for 1 size 12 citie with 12 units inside and some outside ...

Shade