Bear
Warlord

Local Time: 03:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Apolyton Today
APOLYTON TODAY
ISSUE #1

CABINET MEMBERS WEAR ODD SOCKS

This report has just come in - Several unnamed members of the Apolyton Cabinet, who will remain unnamed, have been seen in public wearing odd socks. One person, who we will call "cavebear", just for example, was seen wearing one blue and one red sock, on the right and left feet respectively. He was seen to be strolling along quite happily in no shoes and stark naked. This did not make a major outcry from the crowd, as it was nothing new - Bear has been running around stark naked in a black g-string for weeks, and cavebear doing it in socks looked like a poor imitation.
Another person, who we will call "atawa", for example, was also seen to be wearing odd socks. However, his socks were green and yellow respectively. Our sources also claim that the green sock had a tinge of turqouise-blue at the top, and the yellow one had gravy stains. This was seen to be very peculiar, as gravy has been banned for the common people for years.
This raises some important questions about equality and, more importantly, gravy. The cabinet is obviously stuffing themselves with gravy, laughing in our faces as we make do with sage and onion stuffing. Furthermore, coloured socks were banned under the 3rd line of the 5th paragraph in the small print of the Apolyton constitution, which was never published publically due to the fact that it was written on a napkin. A napkin, my friends, which was stained with gravy.
Therefore, this reporter can only conclude that the cabinet has banned coloured socks and gravy in an effort to make us look rather more stupid than we previously managed.
We will, of course, bring more on this story as it comes in. Until then, enjoy your stuffing.
Old June 25, 2002, 14:07   #2
Bear
Warlord

PRO COMMUNIST CAUGHT IN BATH WITH SECRETARY

This news it just in, like everything else we publish. A pro communist citizen, who will be called "Mr President", was caught in the bath today with his secretary. And, rather more worryingly, a goat of the male variety.
The secretary, whose name was Joanne, and a very nice young secretary she is too, was totally naked in the bath with the citizen, who was re-enacting the great invastion of the Egyptian-American continent using a rubber duck, a bottle of shampoo and a part of his body we can not publish due to legal issues (and the fact that I couldn't help myself making jokes about it).
Joanne was obviously rather bored, as was seen in the photos which our illustrious photographer took from his vantage point hidden in the toilet. However, due to legal reasons (and the fact that we want 'em), we can not publish the photo's. We can tell you, however, that she was in rather a compromising position with the goat, just as the citizen was invading Philadelphia.
On the subject of the goat - it is a male zeb-goat, crossed between a Roman Zebra and an Apolyton Goat. It wore a bell around its neck, but apart from that was totally naked. It also appeared to agree with us that the young secretary was, indeed, very nice.
To cut a long story short, the citizen got out of the bath after successfully invading America, and allowed us to interview him. He kept asking us to advertise the fact that although he was married and had seven children, he was still open to offers, and was looking for a new secretary.
The bath, incidentally, was a cream-pink colour.
Old June 25, 2002, 14:08   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:14

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

As long as the press remembers the penalties for unfavourable stories about the military.....

My sig says it all....

Minister of WAR, not peace.
Presidential Candidate.
MrWIA.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 25, 2002, 14:31   #4
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 21:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Old June 25, 2002, 14:53   #5
Bear
Warlord

JRABBIT - RABBIT OR BEAR?

JRabbit, a famous member of our nation, was seen yesterday chewing on a piece of salmon. As any self-respectable and intelligent citizen would know, Rabbits do not eat salmon. They would also know that Bears do.
The population of bears in Apolyton has raised in bounds. It started with 1. Then, after a while, it raised to 2, with Bear coming along. That means that the bear population has increased by a massive 200%! This influx of species to the nation may lead to some species of animal converting into bears - we are seeing signs of this happening with JRabbit, Apolytons famous rabbit. He has been seen leaving his burrow in the middle of the night (again seen by our photographer hidden strategically in a toilet) and making his way to a large cave, where he ate a dozen berries and fell asleep. At dawn, he crawled back to his burrow, had a whisky, and promptly fell asleep. Again.
This was repeated for several weeks, in which time JRabbit did not thankfully use the toilet once. APOLYTON TODAY's photographer emerged with the photo's, but was sadly run over by a camel hurrying to deliver two thousand red and two thousand five hundred blue socks to the Apolyton Cabinet chambers. Sadly, he did not survive, and the photo's were mashed beyond recognition. Still, we all had a good laugh about it.
Back on story: A leading Apolyton scientist claimed that if this influx of bears continued, we could be looking at 51% of the voters being bears within three months. This would lead to them voting for issues such as:
Increased honey reserves
Increased picnic basket reserves
Increased marmalade reserves
These issues do, of course, depend on which type of bear the bears are. JRabbit is showing some signs of being of the Yogius variety, as he lives in a cave. Cavebear is also of the Yogius variety. However, Bear is of the Poohius variety, as he loves honey. This could present problems in the future, as the bear factions could break away to form new areas of Apolyton. There is of course also the Paddingtonius variety of bear, but since thats an English one it is doubtful that this will become a major faction.
The scientist was quickly shot under article 17.829 of the Apolyton constitution (which was not published publically due to it being written on a gravy-stained napkin) which prevented him from talking about anything other than the migration patterns of Swallows.
We also planned to give an article on the migration patterns of swallows today, but due to events beyond our control we were prevented from doing so.
More on this, as on every other, story as we get it.
Old June 25, 2002, 14:55   #6
Bear
Warlord

Feel free to post your own stories..

Put this at the top:

{CENTER}{B}{font size="6"}ENTER HEADLINE HERE
{/B}{font size="4"}
TYPE HERE

Replace { with <
Old June 25, 2002, 15:21   #7
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 05:14
Re: Apolyton Today
Quote:
Originally posted by Bear
APOLYTON TODAY
ISSUE #1

CABINET MEMBERS WEAR ODD SOCKS

Another person, who we will call "atawa", for example, was also seen to be wearing odd socks. However, his socks were green and yellow respectively. Our sources also claim that the green sock had a tinge of turqouise-blue at the top, and the yellow one had gravy stains. This was seen to be very peculiar, as gravy has been banned for the common people for years.
I didnt do any such thing!

I suggest we send this 'journalist' on a mission to cover the founding of the first Apolytonian Polarbase
Old June 25, 2002, 16:04   #8
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 22:14
Issued by Presidential spokesperson and consultant Cleopatra:

"The President has never been seen wearing red or blue socks. He wears only black socks, precisely to avoid any potentially damaging "mismatch" issues that might cause concern among the Citizens.

"We are, however, aware that certain subversive political operatives have hired an actor of general superficial resemblance to the President. This person has been observed in locations where the President was scheduled to make public appearances, and he is actively being sought by the authorities for questioning.

"Our internal security agency is investigating the possibility that such actions are part of a small (but vocal) minority who favor a Fundamentalist revolution in our Glorious Worker's Paradise. These disaffected ones are not willing to participate in our basic philosophy of "from each according to their abilty, to each according to their need", as incribed in marble over the very doors of the Premier's modest residence. Indeed, they wish only ultimate power controlled by the fanatical elite who will never do a moment's work in their lifetimes, unlike the Premier, who bakes bread and makes soup for his fellow Citizens in need during all his spare time.

"We discount the false rumors (planted by the Fundamentalists, no doubt) that the Democrat-Capitalists are responsible for this insult to the Premier. The majority of the members of the Capitalist cells are really our own agents anyway, and we would have heard about the plans.

"Your Premier promises to get to the bottom of this and "re-educate" the unfortunate and mislead paparazzi in the ways of the inevitable historical dialectic."

Thank you...
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old June 25, 2002, 16:31   #9
Bear
Warlord

Issued by Apolyton Today Press Secretary:

"Apolyton Today would like to stress that it holds no political affiliation to any particular party, sect or faction. It is completely unbiased in its views, and will not tolerate any challenges to this policy."

"Our sole intention is to report the news, if and when it happens. In this case, we were told from a reliable source that the Premier was wearing odd socks, and because this is of intrest to the public, it was printed. We have a RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH and will NOT TOLERATE CENSORSHIP of any sort."

"The staff of Apolyton Today do not wish to embark on a political or personal feud, and the articles it prints are not to be taken this way. It will do everything in its power to print stories which are of intrest to the public in such a manner that offense can not be taken."

"If, however, offense has been taken, we maintain our RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH and will NOT TOLERATE CENSORSHIP OF ANY SORT."

"On a side note, the only political affiliation Apolyton Today has is to the nation on the whole, to get the best range of articles possible - if 40% of the population is pro-Democratic, the newspaper will be 40% pro-Democratic."

"Apolyton Today also stresses that the majority of Cabinet officials are "affiliated" with the newspaper, and can safely say that the Government has no units infiltrating the newspaper or its staff."

"On another side note, we promise to counter the Governments efforts for our re-education, and to maintain our RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH and not tolerating CENSORSHIP OF ANY SORT."

Old June 25, 2002, 16:49   #10
Bear
Warlord

APOLYTON SOLDIERS CONFUSED OVER REGIMENT NAMES

This story comes straight from the top - a General of the Apolyton Army claims that his troops are so confused about the names of their regiments they do not even know which ones they are in. The General, who leads the 567th Mounted Armoured Heavy Light Moutain Divisional Cavalry Musketeers, officially stationed in Apolyton but spread over seven major cities, claimed that his troops are so bewildered they simply lay down their weapons and do something easier. This has ranged from turning iron into gold, crushing coal into diamonds and trying to work out what women really mean when they say "Its not you, its me".
There are officially 2,983 Musketeer regiments in the Apolyton Army, and 672,001 Cavalry squadrons. There is also apparently 227 Hyena Regiments and 927 Regiments for the mountain dwellers of the Apolyton Mountain Range (which does not actually exist). There is also a division of armed lemmings and 3 Brigades of zeb-goats (mentioned in a previous article).
One soldier of the 19th Medium-to-Heavy Mounted Hyenas stated "Its bloomin ridiculous. I don't even know where my friends are.. I'm just stuck with five hundred hyenas. The laughing is driving me mad!". Another soldier, this one of the 1st Regiment of Musketeers, asked what all the fuss was about. The General was so angry that he had this Regiment renamed to the 789th Regiment of Apolyton half-breed lemmings.
This reporter can only assume that the General has gone totally potty. Luckily, Mr Where Its At popped out with a photocopy of the Apolyton constitution (which, as you know, was never published publically as it was written on the back of a gravy-stained napkin) and promptly stabbed him with a fork.
We have since heard that the Regiments have been renamed. Our reporter asked a spokesperson why the Regiments had been named so badly, to which he received several stab wounds to the face with a fork. Another spokesperson was more clear, and stabbed him in the groin.
We can therefore only assume that this was a terrible clerical error, which was thankfully corrected before too much damage was done. However, the 19th Regiment of Flying Fork-armed Lemmings was kept, and our reporter was transferred to it for a six month national service period. The editor, thankfully, avoided this, by claiming to have three apendix's. This exempts him from national service and paying tax until 1950.
Old June 25, 2002, 20:10   #11
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Are you angry about something? I mean, this isn't exactly a role-playing game, but you are way out of line with the way the game is going. Your newspaper wouldn't be allowed to continue in the Communist government we have currently, and the things being said don't really make a lot of sense in the game.

I have to admit that I am a bit uncertain as to your point in all of this.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old June 25, 2002, 20:13   #12
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I support Bear in his campaign for freedom of speech!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 25, 2002, 21:22   #13
mrboo123
King

let him speak! IT IS FUNNY! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA!
Old June 26, 2002, 02:31   #14
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Every great nation needs tabloids...
Old June 26, 2002, 03:52   #15
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 13:14
I'm not offended (even though now I know that Joanne and myself have been being followed ). But I am very, very confused.
Old June 26, 2002, 04:29   #16
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Nice newspaper, kept up Bear!
Old June 26, 2002, 06:49   #17
Hydey
Emperor

Please tell me when you reach the funny section of the paper.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old June 26, 2002, 08:31   #18
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

LETTER TO THE EDITOR
To Whom It May Concern,

I hereby deny being a bear. As proof, I offer my name, my avatar, and the fact that I am allergic to salmon. I can bring forth numerous character witnesses to support this fact.

Lagomorphs uber alles!

-Jrabbit

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten

Last edited by -Jrabbit; June 26, 2002 at 08:40.
Old June 26, 2002, 08:38   #19
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
I have to admit that I am a bit uncertain as to your point in all of this.
C'mon, that's easy.

Obviously, Bear is showing us his writing chops, trying to establish a viable portfolio to use in the upcoming election campaign for the post of Historian.

I would suggest he be careful about tweaking too many game members, however, as I'm sure he'll need every vote he can get!

Other possibilities:
--Desperate for attention
--Bored
--Post Count!
--All of the above

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old June 26, 2002, 08:41   #20
mrboo123
King

All of the above, who wants a poll on this?

-y
-n
Old June 26, 2002, 09:06   #21
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:14
While this is a democratic game.............Apolyton is a communist state.

only democracy's have "freedom of speech"
Old June 26, 2002, 10:51   #22
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zedd
While this is a democratic game.............Apolyton is a communist state.

only democracy's have "freedom of speech"
So... this is an underground newspaper.

But if you think the political climate is bad for free speech now, what about if we actually go Fundy?

We'd be hearing about how High Priest and Representative-of-God-on-Earth cavebear saved the lives of ten god-fearing invalid Boy Scouts from a swarm of evil, pedophiliac Carthaginians with naught but his Scepter of Justice!

I think the way it's going is better.

Minister of WAR, not peace.
Presidential Candidate.
MrWIA.

Old June 26, 2002, 12:01   #23
Bear
Warlord

CITIZENS ANGRY AT TABLOID

Reports have been coming in consistently today that the citizens of Apolyton are expressing concern at the purpose of Apolyton Today. Most members have had a good laugh, but some have condoned it as being "bad for the political situation".
One citizen, cavebear, remarked that he failed to see the point in it, and said it bore no resemblance to anything happening in the game. Our Editor would prefer to keep out of this debate, but the reporter (whom still has fork wounds to his face and groin) screamed "Have you ever inspected the Lemmings regiments?!" when we questioned him on this.
JRabbit proposed that Apolyton Today was for Bears attention seeking, post count, boredom or all of the above. If it was to seek attention - he wins! But it wasn't. Nor was it to increase his post count, or to do with his incessant boredom.
The point of Apolyton Today is to bring hilariousity to the glorious nation and its citizens, giving them a chance to read about their government and their fellow citizens. Apolyton Today believes, and knows, that there is a lot of voter apathy because the citizens just do not know who is running things. As was previously mentioned, Today's political affiliation is with the citizens, and we strive to highlight the names of the "celebrities" of the Apolyton world - those in the limelight.
Apolyton Today would like to say to all its readers that we are not attempting to create character profiles for the members of the Apolyton Cabinet, past or present - we are simply attempting to highlight their names. Whether the President wears red socks, blue socks, yellow socks or no socks should not determine the voting - if a person votes on this, it is simply a wasted vote.
On the subject of bearing no resemblance to anything happening in the game, Apolyton Today stresses that it COULD be. We could report on the state of the millitary (whether good or bad), or on the state of the sewage systems of our cities, or on the fact that Apolyton fishermen are accidently killing 370% more dolphins this decade than last. But, we don't - that would be boring and not in the intrest of our readers, who want some time out from the hustle and bustle of Apolyton politics. Instead, we write things which are funny and humourous, and, provided you can take a light hearted joke, not offensive.
If, unfortuently, you do not fit into this category, I never asked you to click on this topic in the first place, or indeed to read it.
Apolyton Today maintains its right to write what it wants when it wants, although it apologises for any offense caused and swears it was not purposeful.
Old June 26, 2002, 12:14   #24
Bear
Warlord

PICTURES OF MRWHEREITSAT IN THE BATH
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	apolyton.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	18246  
Old June 26, 2002, 12:15   #25
Bear
Warlord

I bet some of you would have paid real money to see that, eh?

I guess we all take our freedom of speech for granted - until we lose it.

No offence to MrWIA.. those pictures have been destroyed
Old June 26, 2002, 13:11   #26
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:14
Just to clarify I think the paper is hilarious and only wanted to take a jab at bears sudden fredom of speech movement.

Even though it really doesn't have much to do with the game it adds som alure to the democracy game and really doesn't differ much from things like......... creating an Apolytn coin or setting up the political parties, its simply a diversion to make game play more entertaining.

Old June 26, 2002, 20:01   #27
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Official Communique from Ministry of WAR

"Due to incessant and frequent demands from members of the public that the Minister of WAR comment on that picture and subsequent censorship of said picture, here is the transcript of what Minister MrWhereItsAt had to say in a press conference today:

[Crowd mutters]

Aide to MrWIA: Please join me in welcoming everyone's favourite object of affec- admiration. He is your hero and mine *Aide sighs in suggestive manner* - the Minister of WAR and Presidential Candidate MrWhereItsAt!

Suited Sycophants: WIA! WIA! WIA!

MrWIA: Thank you m'dear.

{MrWIA starts referring to notes}

MrWIA: I strongly support the Apolyton Today newspaper provided it reports exactly what is in the best interests of the people of Apolytonia and nothing that may cause harm to the public good. It is in my (and the Ministry's) opinion that that picture would have cause considerable public harm. No. I'm not going to tell you why that picture was so bad - I would have to censure myself if I did so - I hope I don't have to quote from the "Keeping Secrets from the People for Their Own Good" Act. And besides, I have not taken a bath for the entire time I have been in office.

Hey, I want the people to have complete and utter freedom of speech and press as much as anyone, but we are all bound by those stupid laws. And we all have to live with the law.

Reporter: But isn't it true that you proposed those laws and, when it looked like you weren't getting the support you needed for them, didn't you threaten to send any opposition to become cleaners of cages for the Marquis' Pigeon Air Corps?

MrWIA: ....

Aide to MrWIA: The accomplished Minister of War must now retire to his chambers to, um, ruminate on the coming battles. You must excuse him. What a hero!

*Aide sighs in highly attractive female fashion*

*End of press conference*

*Reporters look dubious*

Old June 26, 2002, 20:12   #28
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Some of it's funny, some isn't. But hey, if anything brings something original to the forum, that's fine with me.
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old June 26, 2002, 21:31   #29
Hydey
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CannonFodder
Some of it's funny,
must have missed those bits

Hydey the no-limits man. :(