Old July 12, 2002, 02:52   #31
DeanToth
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Aw crap.... I have been busy and haven't had the willpower to check my beloved Apolyton forums recently and now I find this new tourny going on!!!!!!! I am over *2* weeks late in starting!!!!

Waah! Waaaaaah!!!! (crying like a baby) I will just have to do my best...

I am very very very very very very very very sorry to hear that Dale is retiring from this community.... but thank you so much for these fun patches, dale!!! You have actually been able to affect many strategy-game fans out here and given us a great gaming experience..... Something we are always seeking, but rarely finding, in the suit-driven games market of today. Thank you, thank you.... My best wishes to you in your future endeavors.

-------------------------------------------

Otherwise, it is nice to see this active forum still going on! I haven't been here in several weeks, but I see some new names I don't remember. Everyone, welcome! And good luck!! I have a feeling I won't do as well in the ranking this time around... this AP2 is very very hard and we have these new players this time.... I am worried ;-)

-------------------------------------------

I had previously had problems with AP2 ( http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...5&pagenumber=4 - - look about 2/3 down this page) - regarding enemy air units and city disbanding. With no fixes available, I was recommended to turn off debugging which I did. I haven't had visible errors since, but I assume the calculation errors are still occurring out of my sight... I've seen no fixes on the forum; have these errors been addressed or should we just ignore them by leaving SLIC error-reporting off?

------------------------------------------

I had previously changed my super AP mod end year to 2500. However, with this new tourny, I think I have to change the end year again to be "legal" with the other tourny players, no??? (I set my end year much later so I can enjoy the future units that you normally don't have time to develop in the normal game)...

Please, anyone, let me know if I need to edit my endyear (END_OF_GAME_YEAR "xxxx") and what it should be.

Last edited by DeanToth; July 12, 2002 at 03:08.
Old July 12, 2002, 10:57   #32
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 05:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DeanToth
I had previously changed my super AP mod end year to 2500. However, with this new tourny, I think I have to change the end year again to be "legal" with the other tourny players, no??? (I set my end year much later so I can enjoy the future units that you normally don't have time to develop in the normal game)...

Please, anyone, let me know if I need to edit my endyear (END_OF_GAME_YEAR "xxxx") and what it should be.
The main aim of this tourney is to allow us to compare our game skills. That means we have all to use the same mod meaning using the same rules. So if you play until 2500 you will definatly get a higher score in comparision to if you only play until 2200, 300 more turns for you that's definatly a lot. I would say we leave the rules to the creator of the mod, so end year in this game is 2200 AD, if you don't set it back you can only win by science, diplomacy and conquest and your submitted savegame must be saved before 2200 AD. Fortunatly you can even modify the const.txt afterwards you started the game.

-Martin
Old July 12, 2002, 13:52   #33
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Hi Dean,
Good to see you back!
Don't worry about those SLIC errors, they're not messing up your game, just leave debugslic turned off and you'll be fine.

As far as modified files go, of course that's not allowed, if that was allowed that would create a really, really easy way of winning the tournament. You'll have to change that endyear back. But if you want to be able to continue to play your own games as well, you can create 2 versions of the AP:

Make a copy of the file that contains the endyear (APOL_Const.txt, if I recall correctly) and store it in the same folder, but give it a different name (e.g. APOLDEAN_Const.txt). Do the same for gamefile.txt (e.g. APOL_gamefile.txt -> APOLDEAN_gamefile.txt). Now use APOL_Const.txt for the tournaments, leaving it unchanged, and change whatever you want in APOLDEAN_Const.txt. Then find the reference to APOL_Const.txt in the file APOLDEAN_gamefile.txt and change it to APOLDEAN_Const.txt. Also change the title of the mod in this APOLDEAN_gamefile.txt file (third line from the bottom) to something like "Apolyton Pack - Dean's version". Now, when you open ModSwapper, you will see 2 versions of the Apolyton Pack: "Apolyton Pack! CTP2 the way it should be." and "Apolyton Pack! Dean's version". You can use the former for Tournaments and maybe MP, while the latter is for 'private' use.
Old July 15, 2002, 19:13   #34
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 13:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Ah, Dale, back already? Told you it was no use trying to stay away from 'Poly - the curse is inresistable
Locutus:

Back? Not really mate. But just to let you and the others know, here's a little update of what's been happening in RL in the last month, and why I haven't had much time for computers.

- Settlement on the new block of land.
- Beginning of construction of the new house.
- Started new job (MUCH better than the last one, and $5K more too )
- Missus started a new job 2 weeks after me.
- Tax time (that always takes a lot of time for me, though I should get a decent sized cheque back).
- Been in Sydney for a while on holiday.

And last but not least by any means:
- The missus is about 6 weeks pregnant now!

So as you can see, everything that's interrupted my PC time is as I said in the other thread, awesomely fantastic!
Old July 15, 2002, 19:44   #35
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 20:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Dale

- Tax time (that always takes a lot of time for me, though I should get a decent sized cheque back).

That's great Dale! Sounds as though a whole lot of congratulations are in order
Old July 16, 2002, 05:09   #36
ískallin
Call to Power II Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 15:15
Congrats
Quote:
Originally posted by Dale

Sounds great Dale!!

Cheers
Old July 16, 2002, 08:48   #37
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 03:15
Hey! a baby Dale! congratulations!
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old July 16, 2002, 13:12   #38
ETB
Warlord

Local Time: 22:15
Congratulations! To honor Dale and all the wonders he is building in real life, I hereby submit my savegame file. It was a fun and challenging game to play – great job on the SAP Dale! I was going for a science victory, but I only made it as far as Superconductor (maybe that’s why it’s called the “Impossible” level). That’s the furthest I have ever gotten through the tech tree using SAP though! I’m just glad I survived. Good luck to the rest of the players!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip etb.zip (307.2 KB, 51 views)
Old July 17, 2002, 10:54   #39
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 04:15
Busy busy busy!
Does your new job allow 'poly access?

Well congratulations Dale
Old July 17, 2002, 13:30   #40
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Congrats, Dale Looks like you're entering a whole new phase in your life Hopefully there will be room for Apolyton in that phase () but even if not, I wish you all the best of luck with it, must be a very exciting time...

Ah, nice to see the first savegame, ETB, even though I can't review it yet for a few days...
Old July 18, 2002, 14:24   #41
Jesper Portus
Chieftain

Re: 2nd Apolyton CtP2 Tournament: 26 June - 26 July 2002
Here are the results of a free man:

Victory by "bloodlust" in 2200. (Just move the last artillery into the last mayan city)

On Staurday I will marry, so long an bye

Mr. Portus
Attached Files:
File Type: zip jesper-portus-2200n.zip (236.5 KB, 42 views)
Old July 18, 2002, 16:18   #42
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Last CtP2 game as a free man Congrats Mr Portus
Old July 18, 2002, 19:25   #43
Locutus
Deity

dp

Last edited by Locutus; July 18, 2002 at 19:48.
Old July 18, 2002, 19:25   #44
Locutus
Deity

Keep those savegames coming

Wiedermal Glueckwunsch und viel Spass auf deinem Hochzeitsfest, Jesper!
Old July 18, 2002, 19:34   #45
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I'll see if I can complete a game in one day this time

Last edited by Immortal Wombat; July 18, 2002 at 20:49.
Old July 18, 2002, 21:04   #46
Locutus
Deity

This time you have one week days (as do I )... I suggest you use it
Old July 19, 2002, 23:52   #47
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

OK almost finished, decided for diplo-victory again. I havent made contact with the Mayans yet. It seems like alot depends on their personality. If theyre not willing to make peace then it could drastically stretch out my game, having to go all the way to them to kick their sorry @ss.
It seems in some other peoples games the Mayans came out as the strongest AI, strangely i got the Mexicans and Romans. Although the Romans are quite peaceful. So im currently slicing my way through the Mexicans with a load of knights.
I thought they would have defended their capital slightly better than 3 cannons. Especially as that city had the Gutenburgs Bible. Maybe it wont take so long afterall.
Old July 20, 2002, 21:50   #48
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

It appears i was wrong. Gutenburg's Bible was in a city close to Mexico City, Juarez. The capital, Mexico City, was actually very well defended i remember. It put my mind at rest, i thought the ai was going weak on me. The Romans certainly arent. Soon after i conquered the Mexicans a Mayan city revolted and formed a new civ, calling themselves the Aztecs apparently. Its looking more and more like a high score victory every turn
Old July 22, 2002, 23:08   #49
mnbryan37
Warlord

Local Time: 21:15
Somehow, I lost contact with this thread, and was unaware that a new Tourney had started. I havn't tried the Impossible level yet, so probably couldn't compete anyway.

Bill
Old July 23, 2002, 05:34   #50
Locutus
Deity

Only 3 days left, I fear we may get only very few submissions this month

mnbryan37,
I still have to start as well, in 3 days it *should* be possible... But if not, I'll make sure the 3rd Tournament starts shortly after this 2nd one ends, so stay tuned!
Old July 23, 2002, 18:34   #51
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Only 3 days left, I fear we may get only very few submissions this month

mnbryan37,
I still have to start as well, in 3 days it *should* be possible... But if not, I'll make sure the 3rd Tournament starts shortly after this 2nd one ends, so stay tuned!
Yeah two days and three hundret of turns left (at least for me), so that should be possible.

-Martin
Old July 23, 2002, 22:49   #52
centrifuge
Prince

Well, this is a new one for me...

I was finishing up my tournament game, and this happened:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	barb.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	20423  
Old July 24, 2002, 01:24   #53
Maquiladora
Emperor

Yeah whats that all about, same thing happened to me and ive seen them going round the other AI cities too. Are they becoming civilized or what?
Old July 24, 2002, 01:33   #54
Maquiladora
Emperor

I should finish tomorrow, i've changed my goal in this game so many times, i dont know what it is i'm trying to do at the moment. I should've practiced with this Mod more, i think.
Old July 25, 2002, 17:19   #55
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

OK it is time now to submit the third save game to this thread. After three days of playing (and getting bored by the slow progress in science) I made it. Unfortunatly I didn't conquered the world this time, but a diplomacy victory will do it, too. The save game is from the year 2166 AD, just hit the end turn button you will, I have in the end 14355 points. Of course I used again my own Colors00.txt as it doesn't change any rhules just the civ colors it should be ok.

-Martin
Attached Files:
File Type: zip marting_dipvictory_2166n.zip (403.6 KB, 48 views)
Old July 27, 2002, 01:52   #56
centrifuge
Prince

Okay, I'm submitting two saved games. In playing the tournament, I seem to have encountered some severe bugs in the SAP. I tried a playing style like I've never done before, and obtained some very interesting results. I didn't build a single city improvement, and until about 1700, every city that I took over, I enslaved. This resulted in my cities going into rebellion after rebellion, and continuously forming new nations, therefore, instead of simply crushing the eight civs that started the game, I ended up defeating over 30 . This of course, boosted my score by extreme measures, which I'd say is the first bug that I encountered. The next and most irritating bugs, involved "invisible civs" Civs such as the Incans would out of nowhere introduce themselves to me, but they didn't exist , meaning that there were no cities or units to be seen anywhere on the map, they would just out of nowhere show up and be existant only in the diplomacy screen. This was very irritating, and the only way that I found to defeat them, was to give them one of my cities, and then turnaround and retake the city in the same turn. The third big bug involved Mexico City, if you take a look at the saved game you'll understand... Due to the enslaving a several cities, Mexico City was able to grow by enormous proportions, even after I stop sending slaves to any cities and/or the slaves revolted(thus making themselves free), Mexico City was able to grow as much as one population point per turn, so that by the time that my second attached saved game was over, it's size was well into the 400's. Well, this first game that I'm attaching is the one that I would have intended to turn in had it allowed me to win. Locutus, please take a close look at it, I'm more than certain that there are no other civs present after I took the last Chinese city.
Bloodlust, 1806 AD
Attached Files:
File Type: zip centrifuge_1806ad.zip (213.8 KB, 3 views)
Old July 27, 2002, 01:58   #57
centrifuge
Prince

OOPs, here's the second one, this time it did allow me to win,however, I had to give the "phantom" Incas one of my cities, and then retake it in the same turn
Bloodlust 2062 AD
Attached Files:
File Type: zip centrifuge-2062 ad.zip (207.6 KB, 86 views)
Old July 28, 2002, 09:52   #58
Maquiladora
Emperor

OK im pulling out this month, one thing after another, i lost interest in this one. First i thought my game was coming to an end with a diplo victory in sight, with everyone in alliances to me. Then now after 4/5 turns of peace one of the ai asks me to attack the other one. So i decline, break the alliance and force it again. This happens for about 10 turns, mainly because i really dont feel like mobilizing my blokes for a lenghthy overseas battle. So i end turn, then i get a fatal exception and it boots me out to desktop.
Its about 1960ad and i havent been back to it since. Im sure ill take part in the next one, hope more people play next time.
Old July 28, 2002, 17:30   #59
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
OK im pulling out this month, one thing after another, i lost interest in this one. First i thought my game was coming to an end with a diplo victory in sight, with everyone in alliances to me. Then now after 4/5 turns of peace one of the ai asks me to attack the other one. So i decline, break the alliance and force it again. This happens for about 10 turns, mainly because i really dont feel like mobilizing my blokes for a lenghthy overseas battle. So i end turn, then i get a fatal exception and it boots me out to desktop.
Its about 1960ad and i havent been back to it since. Im sure ill take part in the next one, hope more people play next time.
Your so close to the goal, I had for 20 turns a military threaty something different from an alliance, can only sign alliances if you have embessies, so I moved at the with a diplomat around the world, but then I was able to sign all the necessary alliances, of course civilisation that don't accept the alliance could be fprced to sign it with a threat of war, do it although you don't indent to declare war.

-Martin
Old July 28, 2002, 18:25   #60
Locutus
Deity

Too bad this month had so few entries I guess it was a little *too* hard. I will post a new tournament and rankings for this one soon. I'm almost (but not quite) certain that next tournament will be played on Very Hard GoodMod, hopefully that will be more manageable...
But Martin, you're the expert, your advise would be welcome: maybe King is better still?