Old June 26, 2002, 18:00   #1
Panda
Prince

Local Time: 03:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Please help...
1. Does anybody know the relationship between technologies researched and the morale level of new Mind Worms in SMAC, in the same way that the relationship between the various barbarians and techs in civ2 has been thoroughly mapped out?

2. Could people suggest lists of most common military units (like Impact Squad 4,2,1; Missile Rover 6,1,2 etc).

This information would be extremely useful for a current AC total conversion mod for civ2, so please help if you can.

Thanks
Old June 27, 2002, 14:01   #2
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 20:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Some clarification needed .........

by "new mind worms" do you mean naturally occurring native wildlife, or do you mean new mind worms hatched in captivity by a player?

If the former, then I don't know that I've ever seen anything definitive. early game mindworms are always hatchlings, and there is a doubled probability of capturing/killing them for the first three appearances. After that normal psi-combat odds apply, but i heve never seen what determines whether they are hatchlings , mature boils or demon boils.

In SMAX, where fungal towers spawn mindworms, their morale is a feature of how many fungus tiles surround the tower. So a tower with 8 fungus tiles around it will spawn instant demon boils.

If the latter (ie bred in captivity) then it's not techs that determine the morale, but facilities and secret projects.

You get a +1 morale for each of:

base facilities:

bio-enhancement center
biology laboratory
centauri preserve
temple of planet

secretl projects:

Pholus Mutagen
Voice of Planet
Xenoempathy Dome

Don't know if that's what you were looking for, though.

G.
Googlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2002, 13:16   #3
Panda
Prince

Thanks for responding...

I meant the naturally occurring wildlife in the original SMAC, not SMAX. I think I'm just going to map the technologies out in a civ2 progression.
Old July 18, 2002, 15:44   #4
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 22:18
I'm not sure if it's the amount of tech or just how far you are into the game that increases native activity, but I know what you're talking about. Also your ecology rating (ie, your pollutionary impact on planet, not your SE rating) also affects native life.

Regarding your TC for civ2, I would first like to warn you not to use actual files from SMAC. If you do, Firaxis can legally shut down your mod. Using data is fine (ie, names of techs and their effects), but using pictures, sounds, maps, and other files made by Firaxis is illegal. But beyond that warning, I wish you good luck on your project.
Old December 11, 2002, 07:43   #5
Major Guz
Warlord

Local Time: 04:18
I can probably shed some light on the first question:
Mind worms indeed start out as hatchlings. Every time you get the message like "Alpha Centauri B is approaching perihelion: native live activity is expected to increase dramatically" all wild mindworms will get an instantaneous +1 morale.
So the hatchlings encountered before, now will be boil(or whatever comes after hatchling) and you will never encounter wild hatchlings after this message.

This can probably be of strategic importance (not tested), especially if you know all wild mindworms are of "large boil" morale and one of your bases near enemy territory is harassed by "boil" mindworms, you can bet he/she released them into the wild.
Major Guz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2003, 11:46   #6
o-o
Settler

about capturing mindworms (and isles of the deep)...

is ther a limit/cap that comes into play after you have so many..?

it seems impossible to sucessfully capture any more (no matter how high my Planet rating) after I have about 6 (whether Ive obtained that many through capture or made them myself..)
o-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2003, 04:35   #7
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 13:18
I'm haven't heard anything about a "cap"; the first capture attempt always succeeds, though.
Old June 21, 2003, 05:11   #8
o-o
Settler

Ive gone mindworm hunting many times (with Planet +3 rating etc..) and after having about 6 or so, I could never capture any more ... something seems really suspicious, capure sucess rate sure doesnt seem to be "75%" ...
Old June 21, 2003, 11:46   #9
YNCS(SS)
Settler

With a planet rating of +3 I capture mindworms, isles of the deep and even locusts of chiron about half the time my units run into them (there's a lower percentage if my mindworm meets a wild mindworm). I've never found a cap on how many can be captured.
YNCS(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2003, 13:57   #10
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 22:18
I don't believe there is a cap, but your probablility of successful capture declines with your number of native forms. I think your capture probablility now declines by 10% for each worm you already have. IIRC, this change was made in the first SMAC patch (V 2.0) because forum opinion then was that an early green rush by the Gaians was overpowerful. As far as I recall, this change is not documented anywhere. The formula for native life capture...wherever it is...datalinks, perhaps? is no longer correct.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2003, 14:23   #11
o-o
Settler

ok, I thought so..
is ther a way to change/mess with that setting?

the reduction is a little too much in my opinion..
and could be interesting for single player games to change that setting

"I don't believe there is a cap, but your probablility of successful capture declines with your number of native forms. I think your capture probablility now declines by 10% for each worm you already have."

isnt that "a cap"?
it would reduce to zero eventually right?