Old June 26, 2002, 19:57   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 22:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firaxis: Another Thing I'd Like to see in a Patch...
ive said it before, but i'll rant some more.

anyway, i dont want elite knights defending a stack with regular/veteran pikemen in it. even if it has yellow-damaged pikemen in it.

i wish there was a way to make it so some units NEVER DEFENDED a stack unless they HAD to (ie the other units die).

nothing i hate more than having my elite knights getting slain and having 4 pikemen facing a city alone.
Old June 26, 2002, 20:06   #2
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 19:18
I think that the only way to do that currently would be to reduce the defensive capapbility of the knight, but it seems like you want the knight to keep its defensive capability even though it never uses it, correct?
Old June 26, 2002, 23:15   #3
bad0cat
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
We're sort of discussing this same thing on the thread "changes for the military AI".

My opinion is that units should go back to being flagged as either offensive/defensive like they were in 1.07 If done correctly, this would fix the problem you're talking about and also make the computer use units more effeciently on a whole.
Old June 27, 2002, 00:08   #4
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

I know what you mean Uber...but I solve that problem by using Knights only. Who needs pikemen when you can have all knights?
Old June 27, 2002, 01:14   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
I know what you mean Uber...but I solve that problem by using Knights only. Who needs pikemen when you can have all knights?
i'd rather not lose a eilte knight though. i'd rather a pikeman (with a 3 defense, not a 2 like a knight) fight it out and die, rather than a knight fight it out and win with 1 hp left, or worse, retreat.
Old June 27, 2002, 13:45   #6
Jay98
Settler

Couldn't you do that by not fortifying the knights? I hate spacing through a bunch of units as much as the next guy, but wouldn't that do it?

Maybe the game needs some sort of passive fortification where a unit is used defensively only when active defenders are destroyed.... sort of like sleep in Civ2?
Old June 27, 2002, 15:41   #7
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

i'd rather not lose a eilte knight though. i'd rather a pikeman (with a 3 defense, not a 2 like a knight) fight it out and die, rather than a knight fight it out and win with 1 hp left, or worse, retreat.
It won't retreat unless it is alone. At least me thinks. And Knights have 3 defense, not 2. Well, let me check again. As long as you don't have some mod....they have 3 defense I think, which is why they defend instead of the pikemen.
Old June 27, 2002, 21:59   #8
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 23:18
Yeah, knights have a defense of three. I'm fairly certain they'll retreat even if they're stacked with other units.
Old June 29, 2002, 12:44   #9
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:18
hi ,

, , they ought to fix a bunch , ...

ones in a while a crash still reveals some bugs in 1.16f , ......

the worker identity bug

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; June 29, 2002 at 12:55.
Old June 29, 2002, 19:08   #10
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
Which is exactly why I edited knights to 5.2.2. forcing an attacker to bring pikemen along - which is realistic.

Knights at 4.3.2 gives it an absurdly high defense value, especially when you remember rifle-armed cavalry is in the original game 6.3.

So if you care nothing about reality and history, attack with your big stacks of 4.3.2 knights. But just remember you're playing a pure Fantasy situation.
Old June 29, 2002, 19:17   #11
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

Which is exactly why I edited knights to 5.2.2. forcing an attacker to bring pikemen along - which is realistic.

Knights at 4.3.2 gives it an absurdly high defense value, especially when you remember rifle-armed cavalry is in the original game 6.3.

So if you care nothing about reality and history, attack with your big stacks of 4.3.2 knights. But just remember you're playing a pure Fantasy situation.
hi ,

, sounds great , but the AI tends not to use both defensive and offensive in a stack , .....

one reason for this is logical , the fast moving offensive units dont want to be slowed down by the slow moving defensive units , .....

however most players use a mix of this ; they go in the enemy's territory with both , look for a defensive position , put the defensive units there , and start to attack from that position with the offensive units , ...

if only the AI would start to use similar tactics , ....

have a nice day
Old June 29, 2002, 20:53   #12
zulu9812
King

Re: Firaxis: Another Thing I'd Like to see in a Patch...
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
anyway, i dont want elite knights defending a stack with regular/veteran pikemen in it. even if it has yellow-damaged pikemen in it.
That's not really a fair criticism: in that example the knight was the best unit available for defense. A 4-3-2 unit will defend first, over a 1-3-1 unit, because the knight is the best available unit. Personally, I made Knights 4-2-2, making Pikemen more useful.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up