Old June 27, 2002, 09:11   #1
Ben Williams
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Roads don't work
Has anybody else encoutered this, the roads for the first half of the game don't always work. I can't find any pattern to it either. Is this supposed to happen?
Old June 27, 2002, 09:20   #2
Zealot
King

Local Time: 04:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Maybe because your units are in fact crossing a river because you don't have bridge building yet?
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old June 27, 2002, 09:49   #3
The Pioneer
Prince

..and I thought it was a bug ... goes a long way to show that it's not always one!!!
Old June 27, 2002, 10:43   #4
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 03:19
Hhehehehe....... quick to point the finger eh mr. Pioneer. By the way did´nt they remove Bridge building and have Engineering work as bridge building instead. Or am I totally confused.
Old June 27, 2002, 11:11   #5
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Yes, it is Engineering that allows you to cross rivers with no movement penalty. The reason for not being to find any pattern is probably that unless you know a river uses up the unit's current movement point (but does not necessarily stop it), you may wonder why these horsemen here can use the road, while the spearmen following them can't... It is because horsemen encounter the river, cross it using up their first movement point and then continue along the road using their second movement point. When a unit of yours stops unexpectedly, look for a river! It will be there...
Old June 27, 2002, 12:09   #6
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 20:19
... unless you crossed a border into someone's land that you have no Right of Passage Agreement with (or an enemy's).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old June 27, 2002, 15:47   #7
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Jaybe, thanks for clarification, I have completely forgotten to mention this. Yes, crossing the border to somewhere you have no RoP with works much like crossing a river (even after the discovery of Engineering).
Old June 27, 2002, 23:40   #8
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 13:19
I have never payed attention to that before. Never picked up on it actually. I'll have to see this for myself.
Old June 28, 2002, 13:08   #9
Andreiguy
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

i guess this represents going through customs...
in my opinion, crossing the border out of china or russia should take 2-3 turns...
Old June 28, 2002, 13:30   #10
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Andreiguy
i guess this represents going through customs...
in my opinion, crossing the border out of china or russia should take 2-3 turns...
Well, it's more to do with the fact that movement is generally restricted in foreign territory (if you don't have RoP), not that you are crossing a border as such.
Old June 28, 2002, 23:28   #11
Ben Williams
Chieftain

Thanks for the help.