Old June 27, 2002, 21:24   #1
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Which RPG should I get?
There seems to be several of them out there right now..Dungeon Siege...NWN...Morrow something or other, etc....I like these games, but don't want something where I have to run all over to find the magic pinkie ring before I can open the door on the 16th level of the castle at the end of the road...
Is there one that is more like a D&D game where I can sort of explore an environment with random quests, rather than one where I have to check off a laundry list of crap to progress?
I have a PS2 as well, if you know any titles that work for this and are on PC too...but ultimately, PC or PS2 will work.
never neglectful, never indulgent.
Old June 27, 2002, 21:53   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 03:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Which RPG should I get?
You deffinately don't want dungeon siege.

Morrowind, although I haven't played it, is supposed to be very open and non-linear where you can explored the world for yourself. It's probably what you are looking for.

Unless you want to play multiplayer - in that case, Neverwinter Nights is probably the best choice since you can easily create your own adventures and play a multiplayer game with a DM. It's as close to a real D&D game as you can get on the computer, but you'll probably need to hook up with people in advance to play - I doubt it would be very easy to get a random game going outside of the typical dungeon rump or hack'n'slash kind of games.

Do It Ourselves
Old June 27, 2002, 21:58   #3
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:22
Morrowind is quite good at letting you do whatever the heck you want to (including killing every single person in the game, if that floats your boat). It also comes with a scenario editor, so if you get tired of levelling up you can just give yourself a Sword of Ultimate Bootylicious or something in order to make your life easier.
Old June 27, 2002, 23:47   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 11:22
Sneak,

Most PC RPG's are quite non-linear these days. That means you're not required to complete Quest A before starting Task B. Now there are always areas that you can't enter until you find certain items. That's pretty much a given.
Old June 28, 2002, 07:23   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 04:22
Yeah Morrowind is the most open 1 player game. NWN has a more standard 1 player element where at times only a certain key can open a certain door but it is still less linear than Dungeon Siege and has the potential for huge amounts of multiplayer stuff to appear as time goes on. DS is a linear arcade game thinly disguised as a RPG.
Old June 28, 2002, 09:08   #6
da_jaymz
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:22
play Fallout
Old June 28, 2002, 09:55   #7
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

If the single-player experience is more important to you then you should get Morrowind (WARNING: it has VERY high specs).

If multi-player is more important then you might be better off with Neverwinter Nights.

Or you could just get both ...
Old June 28, 2002, 10:39   #8
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Morrowind lets you walk straight into the "end level" without meeting any prerequisites (although you won't be able to fight the boss without meeting certain prerequisites). You'd probably get your ass kicked if you went to the end level as a Lvl 1 character, but regardless, the game lets you do it.
Old June 28, 2002, 14:20   #9
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I bought Dungeon Siege last night because all the magazine reviews were good for it...crap....maybe I should take it back?
Who here has played it, and why do you think it sucks, if it does?
Old June 28, 2002, 14:29   #10
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperSneak

I bought Dungeon Siege last night because all the magazine reviews were good for it...crap....maybe I should take it back?
It's more linear then Diablo.

100% pure hack'n'slash.

Do It Ourselves
Old June 28, 2002, 15:19   #11
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
Sword of Ultimate Bootylicious
ROFL!!

That's not really a sword in MW, is it?

I am considering the purchase of MW. Some friends of mine have it and they are hailing it as wonderbar. And I don't have any other RPGs at the moment (well, SS2 and Vampire:Masquerade).
Old June 28, 2002, 16:08   #12
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
That's not really a sword in MW, is it?
It is now. When you add your own items using the Scenario Editor, you get to name them whatever you want to. I've got a Sword of Ultimate Bootylicious, a Helm of Almighty Wutang, and a Cuirass of Yolst and Lambie. Adds a bit of flavor to the game, IMO.
Old June 28, 2002, 16:42   #13
Eroberer
King

Local Time: 22:22
What you described is basically what Morrowind is. Look into that one a bit, since I can't really describe it. There are so many thing to do that have nothing to do witht he main quest. Advance through different guilds and great houses, perform quests for individuals, cave splunking, treasure hunting (on sunken ships, deadric ruins, dwarven ruins, etc.), steal stuff, and leveling up your character all the while. There really do not seem to be as many issues with crashes and I've read in other reviews, if you have the system to run the game. Just take a look. Happy hunting!
Old June 28, 2002, 23:07   #14
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

You bought Dungeon Seige, Sneak? Poor sod
Old June 28, 2002, 23:26   #15
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

It's more linear then Diablo.

100% pure hack'n'slash.
More linear than diablo?

Is that possible?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old June 29, 2002, 08:28   #16
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski

More linear than diablo?

Is that possible?
Atleast diablo had random maps....

Do It Ourselves
Old June 29, 2002, 12:04   #17
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Buy Morrowind.

SG[1]
Old June 29, 2002, 15:33   #18
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Sigh...I don't know if they'll take the thing back...haven't installed it or opened he jewel case...but I did open the box and read the "manual"....fuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge.
Old June 30, 2002, 23:58   #19
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Quote:

Probably depends on why you want it. If it's just for the SP game (which is really a pretty linear hack'n'slash) then you should probably take it back.
The editor though looks really amazing. If even half of the Mods under development right now come to fruition then the game's lifetime will expand immeasurably.
The graphics also look very high quality. First time you see the mists rolling off the walls of the ice caves, or the desert scapes of the cliffs of fire is quite breathtaking.

Morrowind though seems to have almost everything you could ask for in an RPG. Non-linearity, customization, character development, the works...
I've played it for a few hours, wandered around a bit, killed a few beasties and seen a couple of towns and haven't even scratched the surface by the sounds of things.
As well as user-designed addons, the developers seem to be intent on releasing their own ensemble of new quests, monsters etc, to further increase the replayability.
Old July 1, 2002, 08:35   #20
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 06:22
For a really different experience... try UnReal World ( http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html ). It's situated in ancient Finland (the game's in English, though) and instead of some major quest, your only objective of life is to stay alive. The game has infinite replayability value since there really is no guest for you to follow, except what you choose yourself. The game's shareware, you can live ten days of game time in the free version.
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old July 1, 2002, 08:40   #21
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:22
Fallout 2
Fallout 2
FALLOUT 2!

Fallout 1, too.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old July 1, 2002, 09:26   #22
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by LightEning
For a really different experience... try UnReal World ( http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html ). It's situated in ancient Finland (the game's in English, though) and instead of some major quest, your only objective of life is to stay alive. The game has infinite replayability value since there really is no guest for you to follow, except what you choose yourself. The game's shareware, you can live ten days of game time in the free version.
Thanks, that looks pretty cool.

Do It Ourselves
Old July 1, 2002, 13:19   #23
CygnusZ
Warlord

Morrowind is the best of the new RPGs overall, and NWN is a pretty good multiplayer RPG (I don't like the interface at all).

Even so, I can't help but feel dissapointed at Morrowind.
Old July 1, 2002, 13:51   #24
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 06:22
Weird, all weird.

I feel that DS is a pretty good game, but that's probbly because I prefer to kill monsters rather than spend hours running in seach of items.

I used to be a nice doomer in 1995...
Old July 1, 2002, 16:18   #25
November Adam
Prince

Local Time: 20:22
I tried the demo for DS, it was pretty fun actually.

I have MW for the X-Box and this game is a time leech if there ever was one.
Old July 2, 2002, 13:22   #26
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, I went ahead and installed it...and I actually like it. I do not like "quest heavy" games, and this isn't that. Plus, the group building is pretty cool and I like the idea of massive battle potential.
So...I think it worked out fine...I'll definitely look into MW and NWN, but for a parent and a busy person, DS may be the ticket.
Thanks for your input...it can only get better...
Old July 2, 2002, 13:48   #27
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
I prefer to kill monsters rather than spend hours running in seach of items.
So do I, but there has to be something else to the game ... anything else. At least in Diablo 2 you had choices to make when you gained a level, the skill progression was actually interesting.

There's none of that in Dungeon Siege. The thing I like best about RPG's is seeing my character evolve, I just didn't feel that was happening in Dungeon Siege. There was absolutely no thought required to play the game .. in fact, you didn't need to even be in your seat.

When I was almost ready to give up on the game I took my party of 8 characters into a large pack of monsters, switched the AI control on, and went to make a cup of tea. When I came to find that they had not only won the battle, but healed themselves automatically too, I knew it was time to quit. I like games with a decent AI, but there actually needs to be a reason for the human player to be there!
It was like a pretty-graphics version of Progress Quest. ... only less funny.

But anyway ... that's all IMHO ... I'm glad that you're enjoying Dungeon Siege SuperSneak, I hate to see players waste their money on games.
If you like that then you should definitely try Diablo 2+Expansion. It's a little old now, but is a similar style of game to Dungeon Siege and although you only control 1 character I think there is much more depth to the game.

Last edited by FrustratedPoet; July 2, 2002 at 14:11.
Old July 2, 2002, 15:14   #28
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Sigh...I don't know if they'll take the thing back...haven't installed it or opened he jewel case...but I did open the box and read the "manual"....fuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge.
I have Dungeon Siege. It's definately a linear hack and slash. BUT, there is a scenario editor out in Beta. Go to their webpage and download the Siege Editor. I haven't used it yet, but it's supposed to be pretty powerful in terms of editing the game.

There are also several major mods in the works for DS, including 2 or 3 Ultima remakes. These were the main reasons I bought the game.
Old July 3, 2002, 12:40   #29
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yeah...I don't have a lot of time...and I'm not a long time gamer. Between my PC and my PS2, I don't really have a ton of time to fart around with complex storylines. I recently got Onimishu (sp?) for the PS2, and while I enjoy it, I personally think it is sort of dumb that you have to go and print out a walkthrough for games in order to play them...some of the puzzles and hidden areas, etc., seem sort of counterproductive to me. If I just have to kill some stuff and get goodies as a result, that's fine by me.
Freedom Force was my last PC purchase, and I liked it a lot--no puzzles, just group combining for the best effect.
I highly doubt I'll ever get into a game to the point that I'll be editing, modding, etc. If it has a good level editor that is quick and painless, I will do that, but if I really went nuts (a la Everquest,etc.) I'd most likely lose my wife, job, home, etc.
You have to draw the line somewhere!
Thank God these games weren't out 10 years ago...I'd have never gotten laid.
Old July 3, 2002, 12:56   #30
JoeDaddy715
Settler

look, if you want a good RPG, get the damned dice back out, invite some peeps over and play some DandD. Computer RPGs suck. Once the game is over, it's over. Besides, there is no real "role-playing" in any of them, just predetermined options to choose from, even if this is disguised in some way. All you're really going to get is a game that won't play itself the way RPGs were meant to be played, one that is basically hack and slash, or a choose your own adventure book. They might be worth it, for the fun of seeing the cool graphics or the joy of burning those troll bodies, but the bottom line is that if you want UNLIMITED OPTIONS, you just need a GOOD DM, SOME DICE, PAPER, PENCILS, SOME BUDDIES, and your choice of mind-altering substances (endorphins for all you teetotallers.) Personally, when I start a character, I want to be able to found a city, kill my parents, drink the blood of my enemies, visit the nine hells and kill some paladins on the altar of tyr. Also, I want to be able to have familiars, animals, ride dragons, pillage, loot, rob, and pluck pigeons anywhere i can find an easy mark. Also, playing a murderer for hire is something i've not yet seen in a game, even if therewas it'd be ceap with crap like "do you wish to accept the quest" substituting for ACTUAL conversation. Further, I like killing my other party members, especially in ways that prevent raise dead and the like. when was the last time a computer RPG gave you the option of making necklaces out of your enemies teeth????? and isn't that half the fun? lol