Old June 27, 2002, 22:32   #1
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"Ignore Thread" feature
On the Delphi forums there is an "ignore thread" feature. It doesn't work very well, though, because in order to put a thread on "ignore" you first need to load it up, which is just a pain in the buttocks if you're ignoring 20+ threads.

I'd like to see some kind of "ignore thread" feature on Apolyton, where threads could have some kind of checkbox thingy next to them on the far right/left of the page. That way you could scroll down the page, ignoring all of the threads you're not interested in and freeing up front page space for the threads you might be interested in (but which keep getting bumped back to the second or third page).

As a possible alternative, there could be some kind of "sticky thread" feature, where we could make threads stick to the top if we're interested in them. Yes, I know that I could save interesting threads in my "favorites" folder, but that just doesn't work very well if you keep switching from computer to computer like I do. Having the threads cookied would be much more convenient.
Old June 27, 2002, 22:36   #2
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:22
good ideas...
Old June 27, 2002, 23:39   #3
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 22:22
I probably wouldn't use sticky because I'd be too lazy to make them unstick. The ignore thread would be useful though.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 28, 2002, 03:10   #4
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 05:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i'm note entirely sure how this would be implemented, but what if the topics that you have posted in showed up at the top of each forum page?
Old June 28, 2002, 03:32   #5
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:22
That would be a cool option.
Old June 28, 2002, 05:37   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Cool, but how would you get them to drop?

Could you set them to begin sinking after say... 48 hours after your last post in the thread? Or some such rule of thumb?
Old June 28, 2002, 05:51   #7
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 05:22
Quote:
Cool, but how would you get them to drop?
notice that i said "on each forum page"
so if there are no replies(regardless if its from you or someone else) and the thread should be in the second page it will still be in the second page. but if you go on the second page of the forum, you'll again see it at the top
Old June 28, 2002, 08:25   #8
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

That'd be a cool option, but it would be nice if there were some kind of "unstick" option to accompany it (for those threads that take a 90 degree turn).
Old June 29, 2002, 17:06   #9
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:22
Quote:
i'm note entirely sure how this would be implemented, but what if the topics that you have posted in showed up at the top of each forum page?
Could you limit the number at the top to the last 5 you posted in or something like that?

That way, some of us won't have the entire page covered with threads we posted in at the top and have to *yech* scroll down each time

I could live with it the other way- but this way might be cleaner...

---
loinburgers' original idea was quite good as well. and for some reason I like it better.
Old June 29, 2002, 17:59   #10
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:22
Is there anyway to subscribe to a thread without getting e-mail verification. It gets spammy when people post in several subscribed threads.

I could always set-up a dummy e-mail account, but I don't want to do that.
Old June 29, 2002, 20:21   #11
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 04:22
Quote:
Is there anyway to subscribe to a thread without getting e-mail verification.
That would make the subscribed threads feature so much more useful for me, and I'm sure many others, especially on-topic.
Old June 29, 2002, 20:32   #12
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
loinburgers' original idea was quite good as well. and for some reason I like it better.
I'm a much better salesman than MarkG.
Old June 30, 2002, 01:31   #13
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Personally, having threads I reply in, with replies after my post, stuck to the top would be perfect for me.