Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 05:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
new moo3 trailer
http://apolyton.net/moo3/videotrailer.php
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2002, 10:48   #2
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 04:23
Mark, thanks for saving me the download by posting all the nice pics!

Now, it sure seems to me as if QS thinks it has a lot of time to spend on fluff like FMV. Let's hope the game itself is getting as much attention.
Old June 28, 2002, 11:02   #3
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 05:23
Quote:
it sure seems to me as if QS thinks it has a lot of time to spend on fluff like FMV. Let's hope the game itself is getting as much attention.
artists dont program
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2002, 12:48   #4
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 22:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Not bad. I liked the Moo2 intro better though. Not bad for a teaser.
Old June 28, 2002, 14:06   #5
tniem
King

Am I the only one that didn't like it? I guess I just don't get what they were trying to do with it.

I mean what is this showing? One ship blowing up and taking things with it? So what! We already know that ships will blow up. It doesn't even have a hint of the "storm is looming when the universe will be at war unless you can save all of man kind from the evil race of X and unite the galaxies behind your cause." Or something along those lines. This has no impact on whether I would want to play it or not. It doesn't explain the story to the game at all and it doesn't excite anyone.

Old June 28, 2002, 15:07   #6
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

I didn't say that I liked it, just that it was not bad!
Old June 28, 2002, 15:14   #7
Rantz
Quicksilver

Local Time: 03:23
Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
It doesn't even have a hint of the "storm is looming when the universe will be at war unless you can save all of man kind from the evil race of X and unite the galaxies behind your cause." Or something along those lines.

Because using something along those lines would be going for the most cliched, overused, hackneyed approach that you see in every other game/movie. It's a teaser trailer. Teaser are not meant to give any real information, just to let folks know (usually folks who *aren't* those following the game's development) that it's coming down the pipe.
Rantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2002, 16:27   #8
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rantz
Because using something along those lines would be going for the most cliched, overused, hackneyed approach that you see in every other game/movie. It's a teaser trailer. Teaser are not meant to give any real information, just to let folks know (usually folks who *aren't* those following the game's development) that it's coming down the pipe.
O.K. I'll agree that it is overused and cliche - but there is a reason that it is used. It actually seems to work. It shows something. I am just not going to get very excited about one ship blowing up without the hint that more are around to keep fighting. I sure am not going to get excited if a ship blows up and it means nothing to me. Maybe if I saw one of the races controlling the ship or something, anything going on I would like this. But watching this video, I was plain and simply bored. Nothing new here and nothing to get me excited. Which, I can't believe bolds well for those people that have never heard of MOO that you want to get excited about it and purchase the game eventually.

Not to mention, that yes the story that I described is cliche and overused but you yourselves are using it in the game. Or at least I assume that is the point - to unite the galaxy in some way. And if the story is not as I believe it is, then use this teaser video to show some of the depth you have in the game. Nothing to reveal the whole story, but something to excite people. I promise you that this will not excite many other than the loyal followers that will buy this game no matter what.
Old June 28, 2002, 16:29   #9
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Rantz, are you trying to claim that as a professional you might know a bit more about this stuff than us armchair generals? Shocking!

Harumph, as soon as I finish my glass of sherry I've got a good mind to to lever myself up out of my chair and give you a good thrashing, whippersnapper! If it weren't for the gout, that is.
Old June 28, 2002, 18:15   #10
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:23
Is Rantz a marketer or more of a grunt worker?
TCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2002, 19:26   #11
Rantz
Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
Is Rantz a marketer or more of a grunt worker?
Quicksilver doesn't have a marketing dept. I'm the Art Director for the company, which means I have the ultimate responsiblity for art that gets produced by QSI, that includes design as well in cases like UI.

That said, I do actual 'grunt work' on a daily basis, and have done everything in MOOIII from concept, to UI layout, to texture maps, to Icons, to 3D models. Right now I'm working on a slew of terrain maps for the planets, and leader models.

Quicksilver is a small company and there is no such thing here as management that doesn't actually produce work for the games we work on.

Does that answer your question?
Old June 28, 2002, 23:23   #12
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:23
Yeah...I guess...

What I was really driving at was your knowledge of what works with the public. Not just what looks good...or how to manipulate the graphics programs. But your feel for the pulse of the public. (No comments required...just letting you know where I was going.)

I'm glad to hear that QS has a working managment. I agree that a small company can't support a lot of overhead. (Although it is important at times to put your management hat on...when the big decisions are on the line...)
TCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2002, 01:34   #13
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
What I was really driving at was your knowledge of what works with the public. Not just what looks good...or how to manipulate the graphics programs. But your feel for the pulse of the public.
GP, that is what I was going at. Not that it was a bad video in terms of its look or even if it was doing what they wanted it to but instead that it was wrong for what they should have been doing with it. I just don't think it will strike that big of a chord with the public, but maybe I am totally wrong and I am the only one that thought it did little to spark my interest. And I am one that should be very interested being a fan of TBSes.
Old June 29, 2002, 06:16   #14
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I liked the MOO2 intro. It did a great job conveying a feeling of low-level panick mounting to real stress as the unknown danger presented itself.
Old July 2, 2002, 09:26   #15
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 23:23
Me dumb today. What is UI? I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Thanks

Davor
Yolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2002, 10:38   #16
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

user interface
Old July 2, 2002, 17:56   #17
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Moo2 and Pax2 had an interesting into.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2002, 23:00   #18
tniem
King

Rantz,

Nothing has been said here in a while. Just a quick question about the game, story and what not, well what is it?

By that I mean, I am not a follower of MOO, but I have liked some of the discussed features. But what is the story? Maybe you don't want to deal with me because I should read your site, but I have and I am confused as to what the story is. Or is that the point there is no story, just space civilizations?

I really am not trying to troll here. I just would like to know because that would seem to be a good start as to what I feel the moo3 trailer probably should have contained.
Old July 9, 2002, 23:11   #19
vmxa1
Deity

I have not seen the trailer, but the game is standard 4x game set in space. The new twist is to be adding another X for experience. So to some degree you can say it is civ in space, at least that is what the first two were. I have avoided the trailer as I want to see the game without the previews.
Old July 10, 2002, 05:40   #20
moomin
King

There is nothing in the trailer that especially relates to the game, vmxa....
Old July 11, 2002, 00:15   #21
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by moominparatrooper
There is nothing in the trailer that especially relates to the game, vmxa....
Well why not?

A trailer is supposed to relate to the game and get people to want to purchase the game. I just think that the trailer should be more indicative of what is to come with MOO3.
Old July 11, 2002, 00:31   #22
Apolex
Warlord

Hello... Does the exploding ship look like the Guardian to anyone else? I think so. It's not just a random ship blowing up; it's significant and relevant to the game. I thought it was a pretty good trailer.

-Apolex
Apolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2002, 00:35   #23
Apolex
Warlord

Hmm... my screen shot didn't post on my last message; I'll try again.

-Apolex
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	guardian.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	19304  
Apolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2002, 06:40   #24
moomin
King

Perhaps it is the guardian. Didn't even consider that, frankly. But it's still staple SF spacewar fare, so vmxa has nothing to fear in the way of spoliers by downloading it.
Old July 11, 2002, 14:09   #25
Rantz
Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
Rantz,

Nothing has been said here in a while. Just a quick question about the game, story and what not, well what is it?
:::snipped::: But what is the story?
Basically Master of Orion I and II were TBS space-themed games that built on the 4X principle. The Story for MOOIII covers the period of galactic history before MOOI, during MOOI, MOOII, the period before MOOIII, setting it up for the player to dynamically create the next chapter in the history of the Orion Sector.

It's pretty vast and complex. The backstory bible is about 70-some pages. and a lot of that information will be 'seeded' throughout the game for the player to discover as they play.

It's been argued by some that they don't want a ridgid story in their TBS game... well, the sotyr isn't ridgid, it's different each time the player plays the game and you might play the game 30 times without ever getting *all* the pieces to the backstory and the true nature of the Orion sector.

So, it's a little hard to do a brief summary. In MooII you fought other races, as well as the 'evil' race that was a NPC race called the antarans. In MOOIII, the majority of the Antarans have mysteriously disapeared, and the remainder have refashioned/packaged themselves as the 'New Orions' in an effort to maintain control over the Orion sector. Races have been wiped out since MOO2 and races have been discovered.

that's kinda the closest I can get to the 'cliffs notes' of the story.
Old July 11, 2002, 14:12   #26
Rantz
Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally posted by Apolex
Hello... Does the exploding ship look like the Guardian to anyone else? I think so. It's not just a random ship blowing up; it's significant and relevant to the game. I thought it was a pretty good trailer.

-Apolex
Yes it's the guardian from MOO2, the trailer is the 'end' of MOO2, with the guardian being defeated, per the backstory posted on the moo3 site.
Old July 11, 2002, 14:14   #27
vmxa1
Deity

Cool, I am ready. But then, I would buy anything called Master Of Orion, maybe even if it was RTS (well that could be pushing it).
Old July 11, 2002, 15:58   #28
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Cool, I am ready. But then, I would buy anything called Master Of Orion, maybe even if it was RTS (well that could be pushing it).
Vmxa1, don't even say RTS. Every RTS space game that I've played sucked, and I remember some really bad ones.

R:PM
Old July 11, 2002, 17:15   #29
vmxa1
Deity

I can't agrue much on that score, but IG2 was passable. I have not looked at IG3 that is coming. (Imperium Galactica)
Old July 11, 2002, 23:54   #30
tniem
King

Ok, thanks Rantz. I had tried to read some of that but it is just so long and was not getting any where. I appreciate it.