Old August 11, 2002, 22:39   #31
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 22:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This is a map showing the Hannover river, and where the 3rd and 1st Corp are. I think you can make out which is which...hopefully it's not that bad.

I intend on wrapping up this story soon, so I'll be open to suggestions about what to start on next.
Old August 11, 2002, 22:41   #32
Verto
King

Here's the map.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	river.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	21996  
Old August 11, 2002, 22:42   #33
Verto
King

Nuclear Supremacy Part II: Beyond the Brink
0130 November 4, 1968

Private Schroeder kicked a small rock down the side of the hill and looked at the twinkling river, miles away. He glanced back behind him at the muted encampment behind him, then slowly worked his way down the hill.

The Hannover, a thin snake that cut across Germany and southern Persia to the Southern Sea, shimmered beneath a million glowing stars. Shroeder sighed, slinging his rifle across his left shoulder and walked around the remains of a tree. Upturned mounds of earth, scorched grass and charred trees dotted the land, scars left by the German invaders and the retreating Persians.

Schroeder sat down on a half buried rock, smoothed by years of rain and winds. He put his rifle across his knees and watched the purple-black sky before him. The moon, half hidden behind an impenetrable veil of darkness, provided an almost eery light.

The German private scratched his cheek absently, almost hypnotized by the river's glittering surface. Like a thousand diamonds the Hannover seemed, Schroeder thought.

The peaceful silence shatted with a thunderclap explosion which lit up the sky, blinding the soldier. He fell back, rolled to his stomach and grabbed his rifle. Warily peeking over the rock, he heard the same roar again. Trying to discern from which direction it came from, Schroeder stood and made his way towards the leafless trees to his left. The same explosion came again, somewhat muted. He waited, silently counting to himself. Roughly thirty seconds later, another explosion reached his ears, significantly more quiet than the previous four.

Rough hands grabbed him and forced him to his knees. His rifle was knocked from his hands while a hand covered his mouth seconds before a scream escaped.

His head was craned back while the cold metal barrel of a pistol buried itself in his neck. He was thrown down to the dirt before he would make out the faces of those behind him, then kicked in the ribs.

"What're you doing out here?" a gruff voice demanded of him in German.

"Who-who are you," Schroeder asked, gasping for air. He raised himself to his feet, looking at the men standing in front of him.

The shortest of the three - four, Schroeder corrected himself, seeing the one standing off to the side - grabbed the front of his uniform. "What were you doing? Taking a stroll through the meadow?"

"Alright, that is enough," the fourth man said. He flicked on a flashlight, then waited while their eyes' adjusted to it.

Schroeder looked from one man to the other, not sure whether they were really German or English. His training slowly came back, as well as his pride, and he straightened.

"Ah, so you do have a spine," one of the men growled.

The fourth man ignored that. "I am Captain Leutwyler," he said.

In the silence that followed, Schroeder finally realized they expected him to reply. "I-I am Private Schroeder, 3rd Corp."

The Captain walked past him, almost as if he were strolling through the avenues of Berlin, then turned. "You have disobeyed a direct order from both General Schmidt, Marshal Eis and Berlin. I have orders to shoot anyone who approaches the Hannover, from north or south, on sight. You realize this, don't you?"

Schroeder nodded weakly, painfully aware that the captain's hand rested on his pistol. "I-I didn't mean-"

"Did I ask for excuses?"

Schroeder clamped his mouth shut.

"Now, I will ask you for a reason why I shouldn't obey my orders to the letter - I wouldn't want to be accused of insubordination."

"I won't do it again - I just needed some fresh air! I'll go back, no one has to know!"

"Oh, but you already know...more than you should," the captain said, almost to himself. "Tell me, Private, did you hear anything tonight?"

"Ah, well, yes-" Schroeder looked at the captain's expression, then quickly shook his head. "No," he said hurriedly. "Just a few birds."

Captain Leutwyler looked at him with a guarded expression, then suddenly grinned. "Alright boys, let's go."

They're cries of dismay were cut off. "This side of the river's clear, we'll go back and report in."

As the other men walked away, grumbling, the captain approached Schroeder, and his voice became menacing.

"If you speak a word about tonight to anyone, they won't find enough of you to fill an envelope to send home."

Auric Treusch quietly capped his pen and set it on on the table. Enclosed in the near darkness of his office, he slowly folded the crisp paper into thirds, then rose from his chair and crossed the room to the door. He looked back at the paper lying on his desk. What have I done... he asked himself. What have I done...

Last edited by Verto; August 12, 2002 at 22:38.
Old August 13, 2002, 09:20   #34
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:25
Russia?? The image seems to imply Japan...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old August 13, 2002, 10:14   #35
Verto
King

Nuclear Supremacy, Part II: Beyond the Brink
0930 Berlin Time, November 4, 1986

"WHAT HAS HE DONE!?" Bismarck shouted as he knocked a folder off the table, scattering paper on the marble floor. His fist closed around the piece of paper, which he dropped on the table. He glared at the two ministers before him menacingly.

"Ah, well, as I said, we only found out this morning; we've only had a few hours to sort through it all, and we're still trying to establish contact with Marshal Eis. As we said, Minister Treusch ordered a radio blackout which will remain in effect until tomorrow," the Foreign Minister said.

"General von Trapp is on his way here...I thought he would be the best person to take over as War Minister..."

"Ridiculous! I've already been backstabbed; I won't set another one up to do it to me again," Bismarck declared angrily.

The two ministers exchanged quick glances: it was going to be one of those days...

Bismarck was pacing across the room, muttering to himself. Finally he turned around. "Get the Ministers here," he ordered. "And tell von Trapp to turn around."

"Ah - yes, Chancellor," the Foreign Minister said. He nudged his colleague, and turned and left.

The other Ministers took the news about Auric Treusch' suicide without saying a word, merely nodding sadly. When Bismarck announced his replacement for War Minister, they did not.

"With all due respect, Chancellor, we need someone with military training - someone who can handle the complexity of our current situation. The logistics alone..."

"I believe we should worry about replacing our former colleague later; right now, is not our priority in finding out what exactly is going on in Persia? We have to order 1st and 3rd Corp away from the English border, before they suspect an invasion. And where is 2nd Corp? Surely we can reach them?"

"Yes, we can reach them," the Domestic Minister said. "But they won't respond."

"Why not?"

"Malfunction-"

"That would be a question to ask General Gustav," Bismarck said.

"What do you mean?"

"Gustav is the 2nd Corp commander...and Treusch' roommate and best friend from their days at the Berlin Military Academy."

"You-you can't possibly be suggesting that he's..."

"What else could it be? He is receiving our messages, but won't respond. The other two Corp were ordered to pull back to Hannover, but what of Gustav? What were his orders?"

"Well, what's he doing? Where is he?"

Bismarck, who had been standing at the window ever since he had brought up his plans to take over as War Minister, snorted. "The idiot refuses to report his position, or what he is doing. Whatever Treusch told or did to him...we are fighting a war now with two Corp commanders we cannot reach and a third who refuses to respond, and whom we have no idea is to what he plans to do." Bismarck paused. "It is ten thirty in the morning. We have no idea when Treusch spoke to Gustav, nor where he is right now...How long would it take a column of Panzers to reach Berlin?"

"You can't possibly be serious!" the Domestic Minister cried.

"You think I would be otherwise? We have to prepare for any possibility until that radio blackout ends."

"If word of this leaks to the press..."

Bismarck waved his hand, as if to dismiss the notion. "The GNN will be the only one who could possibly give us trouble; if they do, shut it down."

"You're talking about-"

"I know what I'm talking about," he snapped. He realized his left cheek was twitching, and angrily turned around to look out the window at Berlin. "Get whatever fighters you can to look for 2nd Corp, and send someone to 1st Corp."

Just as Bismarck was finishing, the door burst open and a wiry aide ran in. "Chancellor! The Zulu have taken Persepolis!"
Old August 14, 2002, 14:39   #36
Verto
King

Nuclear Supremacy Part II: Beyond the Brink
The news that Persepolis had fallen quickly reached all the Continent; the news that it had fallen not to Germany, but to Zululand had caused an uproar in Berlin, panic in France, bemusement in Babylon, and the people of England to smirk.

Zululand, declared by Berlin to be a crushed state with no military after the War of Aggression, had made no advances in Persia after taking Persepolis.

Finally able to make radio contact, Bismarck ordered the 3rd Corp to the Zulu-Anglo border as a sign to Shaka and Elizabeth, while the 1st Corp moved south toward Persepolis.

2nd Corp was found encamped twenty miles southeast of Persepolis, and finally replied to Berlin's constant orders to do so.

Colonel Warner, the new Corp commander, announced that General Gustav had suffered a tragic accident sometime after ordering that the 2nd Corp remain in placeafter word was received that the Zulu were marching on Persepolis.

Bismarck, acting as both Chancellor and Minister of War, ordered the 1st Corp to move to the Zulu-Anglo border with the promise that fifty thousand men and over a dozen Panzers were on their way, along with two squadrons of fighters.

2nd Corp was ordered to secure the southeastern coast of Persia so that Babylonian and French troops could land, while 3rd Corp moved south to destroy any Zulu reinforcements, capture any supplies, then sweep west and help block the Zulu border.

The French and Bablyonian ambassadors, after meeting with the German Foreign Minister, finally agreed to urge their leaders to commit more forces to the campaign, with assurances from

Bismarck that they would be remembered after the war, when it came time to cut up Persia.

On the 8th, the Babylonian Navy moved west. Battleships and destroyed blockaded the coast while the 35th Babylonian Infantry division landed with the French 12th Marine. Germany had finally regained its balance, and Persia had not been forgotten.

Ok, I know this is short, but something has come up and I have to go in a few minutes.

In the next installment, I will be attempting something new, so I'll need you're input and feedback on it, as well as on the rest of the story.

I'm a slave to time and money
Old August 15, 2002, 10:57   #37
Ksim3000
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great story! I can't wait to read more!
Old August 22, 2002, 22:57   #38
Cassius Belli
Settler

Local Time: 13:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This sort of reminds me of an alternate history "doco" from a couple of years ago.I think it was simply called WW3 but it was set at the fall of the Berlin Wall and Gorby is taken into custody and executed for treason,thus leading to a confrontation with the Seppos.I'll check my vids and find out a few details if anyone is interested.

SECURUS JUDICAT ORBIS TERRARUM