Old June 29, 2002, 08:56   #1
Thomas Paine
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Your Citizens Yearn For a New Government!
After acquiring Monarchy from the Great Library, my Chinese advisor tells me that "your people yearn for a new form of government!" I find this to be a bizarre "yearning," especially considering I have long since moved to the lucrative Republic.

Is there any incentive for following the peoples' wishes, or is this pop-up menu mere gameplay verbage?

I suspect the latter.
Old June 29, 2002, 09:08   #2
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 04:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Your suspicion is correct, there is no need/reward for following the "voice of your people". I believe this is just a bit dumb preprogrammed reaction to acquiring the technology needed for a new form of government.
Old June 29, 2002, 10:45   #3
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 21:27
On at least one occasion, I delayed researching Monarchy until after I had been in democracy for some time. I got the message saying they wanted a change in government. My civ also had "Democracy" as its preferred government.

Maybe the game, like the media and government, mistakes a group of misinformed, narrow-minded, inbred morons for "the people."
Old June 29, 2002, 11:00   #4
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 23:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
Maybe the game, like the media and government, mistakes a group of misinformed, narrow-minded, inbred morons for "the people."
That's a common misperception. For good or bad, in a democracy, even people you consider to be "narrow-minded, inbred morons" have just as many votes per person as other members of society.

Old June 29, 2002, 13:28   #5
Ragnarok
Settler

Local Time: 13:27
Actually, in a "democracy", narrow-minded, inbred morons run/own the media, and other members of society are influenced to vote the way the media want them to, for good or for bad.

If the people only get narrow-minded, inbred moronic opinions and entertainment, people will want to vote as such.

The sheeple vote according to whos barking the loudest...and the government cant afford to let us hear the other dogs let alone the dog-catcher!

Old June 29, 2002, 15:28   #6
Indignator
Settler

Local Time: 03:27
The game includes many texts that make little sense. For example when dealing with the Germans, the advisor says that 'Bismarck has attacked us before," despite that it was me who attacked HIM. Even if I have so many luxuries and resources that the list on the advisor screen is blurred, the advisor still says 'Acquire more resources.' Although there is one instance where the advisor is right on the money. Even if I have 100 cities, the domestic advisor still says 'Build more cities.' There is no such thing as too many cities - especially if you edit the the optimal number of cities to 1000 .
Old June 29, 2002, 18:00   #7
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 22:27
Since you have already altered the number of optimal cities (1000?) why not alter the text files as well? This is an alteration that even the Mac users can do. Given the absurdity of the game dialogues, it is not a far stretch of the imagination, to picture one of the games programmers turning the console over to his third grade son or daughter and saying “Finish this for me.”
Old June 29, 2002, 18:12   #8
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 20:27
The peole yearn for a new government? What about me? I've been yearning for new types of government since Civ3 came out...
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.