Old July 1, 2002, 05:11   #1
Drew Dude
Settler

Local Time: 03:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Printing *.pdf manuals
I've just bought HOMM4 and the manual is an acrobat file. I was going to print but every page has a sort grey background to it which is going to both eat the ink up and take an ever to print.

Is there any way of turing this background off or do publishers not expect you to print it.

Couldn't they provide two formats of the document, one with a background and one without.
Old July 1, 2002, 08:04   #2
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
Try setting your printer to print in "Pure black and white". Test it with one page and see if it works.
Old July 1, 2002, 09:53   #3
tniem
King

Local Time: 22:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Part of the problem is that companies don't thing gamers need a printed copy other wise they would print the manual for you. If you cannot get the true black and white thing to work, try to send the .pdf file to me (tfry2002@hotmail.com) and I will attempt to change the background color for you in the full version of Acrobat.
Old July 1, 2002, 12:39   #4
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 04:31
I agree its a real pain. It was just about acceptable in budget games where its a way of keeping costs down but not in full price games (are you listening 3DO ?).

I'd like to see a RTF format but i'd imagine that involves more work for the publishers to convert it from their DTP packages.
Old July 1, 2002, 13:02   #5
chronocrator
Warlord

Printing out manuals can never become an alternative to real manuals and it can also be quite costly to print out a 100+ page manual, since ink is so expensive.

Some games come in big nice boxes with a thick manual, a techtree and even a couple printed maps, other games just feature a very slim "manual" describing the game basics or worse: a tiny slip of paper with the setup instructions... the latter has become more and more common.

This practice of publishers encourages piracy - if you don't get more than a CD and a small piece of paper (Midtown Madness didn't even feature a CD inlet) I don't wonder why many people just copy the CD.
I hope more publisher realize this and change the situation...
Old July 2, 2002, 06:59   #6
chronocrator
Warlord

Oh and concerning your problem: You could try to mark the entire text (I don't know if you'll have to do it page by page though ) and copy/paste it into word (or whatever texteditor you're using). That could seriously hurt the text alignement and might mess up all the pages but you could try it.
Old July 2, 2002, 07:35   #7
Drew Dude
Settler

Thanks for all the suggestions. When I had another look at the manual it turned out to be 64 (2 pages of manual per A4 page of printed paper) pages long so I decided to risk doing it at work on the office laser - even with plain text this was too long. I did a similar thing previously with Planescape Torment, got caught and managed to run the toner out on the printer as well. I was quite popular really. No probs this time, and being on a laser it does look good.

A few points though.

Even on a laser it doesn't look as good as a properly printed one i.e. colour. Also, I daresay they would decide not to supply a manual to reduce costs but are these savings we would ever see. Probably not. Finally, some games I think simply do just need a manual. In this case 128 pages is alot of info.
Old July 2, 2002, 12:48   #8
Leonidas
King

Suggestion for printing manuals:

Call around to a few print shops and ask them if they will print a pdf manual. If so, they should be able to print it to both sides of a page plus bind it for you. It should be cheaper (and easier) than having to print it yourself. . .

Old July 2, 2002, 15:00   #9
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 23:31
Print it at work.
Old July 2, 2002, 23:37   #10
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 11:31
What they should have done is to break the manual down into 3 parts: a user's manual, a reference manual, and a quick handy reference sheet.

For the user's manual, it shows you how to work the mouse, what various menu does, etc. The reference manual should contain unit characteristics, buildings, that sort of thing. The reference sheet should have just the the most essential things, such as keyboard shortcuts.
Old July 3, 2002, 13:59   #11
PCRefugee
Chieftain

I find it quite ironic that pdf actually stands for 'Printable Document Format'(or something very similar). I think it's the worst format out there. Give me a good, old fashioned manual with a game every time.
Old July 3, 2002, 14:36   #12
chronocrator
Warlord

The Acrobat Reader features a huge list of printing options - I have no idea why there isn't a checkbox for "print background".
Old July 3, 2002, 15:47   #13
rwprice
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by PCRefugee
I find it quite ironic that pdf actually stands for 'Printable Document Format'(or something very similar). I think it's the worst format out there. Give me a good, old fashioned manual with a game every time.
It actually stands for "Portable Document Format". It really does it's job quite well, since the goal was to be able to see a document as it looked when it was prepared. If they sent a Word document, and you didn't have Word, you'd be out of luck. I think the pdf standard is a good one.
Old July 3, 2002, 15:56   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 20:31
yeah but what if you don't have acrobat reader?

but yes pdf is better than word, because I don't have microsoft word
Old July 3, 2002, 16:28   #15
Zopperoni
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
yeah but what if you don't have acrobat reader?
You're completely farked then
However, I assume that if the manual is provided as a .pdf-file, Acrobat Reader will be delivered on the CD as well.

As for Word documents, WordPad can handle .doc-files and is delivered standard with Windows.
Old July 3, 2002, 16:41   #16
PCRefugee
Chieftain

I stand corrected and bow my head in shame. I do not, however think that it is a good format. There is a hidden cost when you buy software with a pdf on the disc and that is the price of the ink used. I would like to see that cost added upfront in the form of a properly printed manual.
Old July 3, 2002, 17:55   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I don't have Word with my Windows

Of course I never actually bought windows
Old July 3, 2002, 19:01   #18
Zopperoni
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I don't have Word with my Windows

Of course I never actually bought windows
I'm not talking about Word, I'm talking about WordPad
Look under: Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> WordPad
Old July 3, 2002, 21:07   #19
Grumbold
Emperor

Drew I had a good rant about this when HoMM IV and M&M IX came out. I returned M&M IX and considered swapping HoMM IV for the US import copy (with manual, extra quick reference charts etc.)
Old July 3, 2002, 22:27   #20
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

don't have wordpad either

but actually I do have it. I sent it via e-mail with my mom's computer. I deleted all that crap for some reason a while back. Had to put it back on.
Old July 4, 2002, 05:03   #21
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Yes - why is it that for some reason we Brits get (comparatively) cr4p versions of games - MP Civ over here is the Ultimate version and I don't mean the UCC which is available in Europe and is indistinguishable from MGE

SG[1]
Old July 4, 2002, 13:55   #22
Standup
Prince

My two favourite rants .pdf manuals and the poor deal for UK/European buyers combined.
Seems to be getting worse though as more publishers cotton on to it as a way of making bigger profits. Although i like the DVD cases it would be shame if they became another excuse for poor (or lack of) content.
Old July 6, 2002, 04:03   #23
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 14:31
I don't really mind what manual they give, as long as there is adequate help available in-game such as short-cut keys. For large manuals, I guess I would prefer a paper one, as its much harder to read a .pdf from the toilet.
Old July 8, 2002, 20:02   #24
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 23:31
Quote:
I guess I would prefer a paper one, as its much harder to read a .pdf from the toilet.
Get a laptop .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 9, 2002, 10:49   #25
Cookie Monster
King

I've commented on this subject before and I'll say it again until my last breath.................

Death to capitalist pigs who want to take my money and not give me a hardcopy manual. Some of you actually prefer pdf manuals.....good for you. I however want the hardcopy and see this pdf ploy for what it really is. It is a plot by greedy capitalists who want to extract maximum cash from the public while giving nothing back in return.

So sorry if my words are harsh, I know many of you want to save the planet and have a pdf file. I am an ardent recycler and participate in my community when it comes to recycling. However one more time, I want my hardcopy manual that the vendor should provide me. After all I'm a paying customer. I expect value for the money.

That is all folks.....................care to disagree? Just think about the greedy man in his penthouse apartment laughing at you because he maximized his profit at your expense.