Old July 1, 2002, 10:24   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Multiplayer Tournament!
The single player CtP2 Tournaments are doing quite well and a CtP1-MP World Cup is underway, maybe it's time to have an official Apolyton Multiplayer Tournament as well? I haven't discussed this with the owners of the site yet, I figured I'd first found out if there would be any interest in this from the CtP2 MP community...

So, would you be interested in participating in such a tournament? What kind of rules would have to be enforced? Is such a tournament feasible at all? Please post here to discuss these issues...

Last edited by Locutus; July 18, 2002 at 19:57.
Old July 1, 2002, 12:36   #2
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 04:32
At least you don't have to worry about rush-buy switching in CTP2, you just have an infinite builds cheat instead... Easy come, easy go .
Old July 1, 2002, 18:57   #3
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Well, we could use the same system as the CtP1 World Cup: all savegames are kept and the loser has the right to inspect the files and ask for moderation if he suspects cheating...
Old July 3, 2002, 15:53   #4
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

It doesnt seem that much of a problem to me, if the save games are inspected on the losers request (or by the loser), it would be ok.
Id put my name down, no probs.
Old July 4, 2002, 19:13   #5
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 20:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'd totally make sure I could play in this one (this time it is a promise). How does the California server sound to you all?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 4, 2002, 19:14   #6
Oerdin
Deity

We'd have to swap saves just to make sure no one was cheating but I think I could figure it out even without the save. It's pretty easy if you know what to look for...
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 5, 2002, 05:35   #7
Locutus
Deity

Well, it's good to know there's at least some interest in this, but unfortunately 2 participants doesn't make much of a tournament. I posted a notice in the CtP1 forums as well, maybe some people will respond to that, and it wouldn't hurt if you guys informed your MP buddies of this thread as well. For the moment I'll wait a bit more to see how things develop, but if this has potential and only needs more participants in order to succeed, I'll post a news item about it and email everyone in the MP Registry.

So, how do you guys think what the setup of the tournament should be?

- Random map or pre-made map?
- Default games or mod? What mod?
- 1-on-1 or 3 or 4 people per match?
- Piracy, Pillaging, Wonders, Nukes: allowed or not?
- What difficulty/barbarian level? Pollution on or not?
- Accelerated start or not?
- What mapsize? How many AI players (if any)?
- ... what else?

Any other bugs/problems (other than the infamous one) that I should know about?
Old July 16, 2002, 18:01   #8
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

- Random map or pre-made map?

Random map, you gets what your given. Good players find good locations.

- Default games or mod? What mod?

Right now id say the original game because everyones versed in it, WAW would be a good second choice.

- 1-on-1 or 3 or 4 people per match?

1 v 1 for me, doesnt always mean quicker but its more intense.

- Piracy, Pillaging, Wonders, Nukes: allowed or not?

I dont mind, maybe not nukes. The games sometimes dont advance that far anyway.

- What difficulty/barbarian level? Pollution on or not?

I think impossible for sure, and either marauders or no barbs at all (ruins only). Barbs do have a random unbalancing effect but they do keep the game exciting until you meet another human player. Pollution on.

- Accelerated start or not?

In terms of starting age i prefer Ancient, more settlers and gold to start. Say 3/4 settlers on small map and 5/6 on regular

- What mapsize? How many AI players (if any)?

Small map 1 v 1, regular if 1/2 more AI/human civs are added.

also Speed Turns, if its just 1v1 it doesnt matter so much but with 4 humans it can drag on.
...just my preferences, if more people are interested anyway.
Old July 16, 2002, 18:49   #9
Locutus
Deity

Thanks a lot of your feedback, Maq. Of course, it doesn't help much if you're the only one responding. But I'm writing a post for Markos & Dan now. Once they give the green light (and I don't see why they wouldn't), I'll try to launch a PR campaign to see if we can get more players...
Old July 16, 2002, 22:46   #10
Oerdin
Deity

I vote for default game, v1.11, and random map with each player allowed one call for a restart. Max wet, mostly contents, high diversity, and the rest at default. Wonders seem to be very unbalancing to the game so most MP games out law wonders but allow everything else.

Hopefully there will be no premade teams and we can start with 3-4 settlers since that speeds the game up and adds to most peoples' enjoyment. As For map size I say regular map with eight players. Any larger and it becomes combersum to march armies across.
Old July 17, 2002, 07:03   #11
Maquiladora
Emperor

Sounds good Locutus keep up the good work
Theres seems like quite abit of interest in the GOTM so i hope some of those same players want to take part in this too.
Old July 17, 2002, 14:58   #12
Locutus
Deity

Well, good news: not only did Markos approve of this idea: everyone who signs up for the tournament gets a discount for the Apolyton Store (assuming the tourny is actually on, of course - iow when there are enough players)

Oerdin and Maquiladora, I'll consider you guys signed up. J Bytheway, from your post I can't interpret whether or not you would be interested in particating, so if you are, please let me know...

I'll make a start with the PR campaign tonight...
Old July 18, 2002, 12:49   #13
J Bytheway
Emperor

I am not - with the crumby (crummy?) connection I have here in SA online play is a no-no. I am, in any case, not a sufficiently experienced player to warrant entry. I've only played about 200 turns of CTP2 ever - I'm just a meta-modder here.
Old July 18, 2002, 13:12   #14
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

SA?
Old July 18, 2002, 13:15   #15
J Bytheway
Emperor

South Africa.
Old July 18, 2002, 13:20   #16
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 03:32
DBL POST
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Last edited by child of Thor; July 18, 2002 at 13:35.
Old July 18, 2002, 13:30   #17
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

You're in South Africa. I didn't know that. The location field confused me...
Old July 18, 2002, 13:32   #18
child of Thor
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
SA?
Well atleast one of 'us' is over there stealing their 'hi-tech' jobs(presumably?), the amount of south-africans over here in London into 'computers' is mind boggleing

I'd like to join the MP fun, but i'm firewalled out, so will have to watch from the sidelines
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Old July 18, 2002, 13:34   #19
J Bytheway
Emperor

I'm born, bred and attending Uni in England, but my parents live in SA, so I visit them for the summer holidays.
Old July 18, 2002, 13:38   #20
child of Thor
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by J Bytheway
I'm born, bred and attending Uni in England, but my parents live in SA, so I visit them for the summer holidays.
That's great! At least you get a real summer!

Old July 18, 2002, 13:56   #21
J Bytheway
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
That's great! At least you get a real summer!
Don't forget that it's winter in the southern hemisphere at the moment. I haven't had a summer in 5 or 6 years now. But the weather here is good, and I'm not complaining.
Old July 18, 2002, 14:41   #22
child of Thor
Emperor

Quote:

Don't forget that it's winter in the southern hemisphere at the moment. I haven't had a summer in 5 or 6 years now. But the weather here is good, and I'm not complaining.
Heh!Heh! but lets face it, winter in Z.A. is summer in the uk !

I'm wondering how much a problem server speed will be for you trying MP, compared to Quake etc, CTP2 is quite a slow game.......you should at least try it?
I'm very sad i won't be able to play - although it's going to be a mare to co-ordinate.Still i like the idea particularly of the main Slic and modding guys in giveing MP a real go,it's got to help in the long run.

Old July 18, 2002, 15:37   #23
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
I haven't had a summer in 5 or 6 years now.
*shudder*

Which college are you at in Cambridge?
Old July 18, 2002, 18:50   #24
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
I am not - with the crumby (crummy?) connection I have here in SA online play is a no-no.
Oh yeah, sorry, I had forgotten about that for a moment. Too bad, we need the players...

CoT,
Can't you disable that Firewall or something? Or open the ports that CtP2 needs? I'd love to have you in the tourny...

IW,
How 'bout you? Don't feel like giving MP a try sometime? We already know it works for you
Old July 18, 2002, 19:12   #25
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Maybe, maybe. 20% off was that? It depends what my workload is like from September, unless of course we are playing by August...

I guess I could show an interest. I'm in.
Old July 18, 2002, 20:00   #26
Locutus
Deity

Cool, Ben
Old July 19, 2002, 05:19   #27
child of Thor
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
.............edit........
CoT,
Can't you disable that Firewall or something? Or open the ports that CtP2 needs? I'd love to have you in the tourny............edit........
Well i've tried DeltaForce online before and from my usual location it just won't get through........still i've not even tried CTP2 online so maybe it'll be ok? I'll test it asap and report back.

Old July 19, 2002, 09:31   #28
Locutus
Deity

Please, do give it a try...

But as I said before, isn't it possible to open a few ports or (temporarily) disable the firewall altogether?
Old July 19, 2002, 09:36   #29
Locutus
Deity

stupid forum bug... *bump*
Old July 19, 2002, 17:22   #30
J Bytheway
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
I'm wondering how much a problem server speed will be for you trying MP, compared to Quake etc, CTP2 is quite a slow game.......you should at least try it?
It's not just the speed, it's the cost. They haven't heard of flat rate internet here yet. You can't even get cable modems because there's no cable either (except in Jo'burg, I think...) .

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Which college are you at in Cambridge?
Pembroke. But I probably shouldn't say - anyone can locate me now . Not that it would have been so hard previously for non-fools...

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
stupid forum bug... *bump*
It worries me that you so frequently notice that .