Old August 15, 2002, 16:12   #121
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 20:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Never played MP before, but this sounds great. It's really difficult, however, for me to fully commit without knowing when the games are going to be played. Weekends are a very active time for me. Is there going to be a fixed predetermined time when games are played? Or is this going to be decided by the players to fit their individual schedules? Should be interesting as some of us are 8 or more hours apart.

So put me down as "Definitely Maybe".
Old August 15, 2002, 16:49   #122
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 03:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm still up for it.
Old August 15, 2002, 20:18   #123
Shadow
Warlord

Local Time: 13:32
I'm also tied up heavily on weekends. It may be wise for a few of us to work out some kind of midweek timetable.

Or perhaps even better, all those that want to play can put up the times through the week that they are actually able to play. If all times are put in GMT (or UTC, Zulu time, however you want to put it - it means 24 hour time in Greenwich), then it will make it easy to synchronise games and players. (My point is there are players scattered all over the planet in different time zones, so we need to synchronise a little if we can.)

Any thoughts?
Shadow
Now the fat lady's singin'...
Old August 15, 2002, 20:28   #124
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 04:32
I guess most people in the tournament will already have entered their details in the MP registry, so probably just people who havent filled that in, state times here.

It would be easiest to just wait and see whos playin who and sort it out from there.
Old August 21, 2002, 17:56   #125
Oerdin
Deity

Anytime is good for me; just give me a day or two advanced notice and I'll be there.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 22, 2002, 15:02   #126
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 22:32
August 25th should be good for me. I'm on Eastern Standard Time in the USA. Anytime 6pm my time would work on the 25th. I will have lots of time after sept. 8th.
Old August 22, 2002, 15:16   #127
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I'm busy until September 2nd
Old August 22, 2002, 15:39   #128
dregman
Settler

i am only available during the weekends
because i am very bussy with school
Old August 28, 2002, 14:13   #129
Oerdin
Deity

How does the first Saturday in September sound for a start date?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 28, 2002, 15:58   #130
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:32
It sounds good to me but that's in 3 days. Better make it the week after that (September 7 & 8). I still have to arrange a few things (real life has kept me rather busy lately), but I think/hope I can manage before then...
Old August 28, 2002, 16:05   #131
Oerdin
Deity

Alrighty then September 7th is the start date now all we need to do is determine a start time in GMT. Since most prospective players are either in the U.S. or Europe I suggest something like 1600 GMT on Saturday September 7th.
Old August 28, 2002, 16:11   #132
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 03:32
What about a who plays who list?

I'd prefer an earlier time on Saturday 7th as I'm busy late Saturday afternoon/evening.
Old August 28, 2002, 16:15   #133
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

I think its best you have all day available. Hopefully finish all the first games on that weekend.

Anytime after 1pm GMT on saturday 7th is fine for me.
Old August 28, 2002, 16:21   #134
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Yes, I want to do a last call then: everyone please report if you're still interested (I wouldn't be surprised if a few people have dropped out by now, so I need confirmation from everyone).

Post here or PM/ICQ/email/MSN me (contact info is in my signature) with:

(1) your forum username (in case of email/ICQ/MSN)
(2) an email adres, ICQ# or MSN ID, so I can contact everyone in person if needed (I prefer email, since then I can send the same message to multiple people) - not needed if you're registered in the MP Registry (you can register there now if you want - in fact you are encouraged to).
(3) if and at what times you can play during the weekend of September 7 and September 8.

I need to hear from everyone September 5th at the latest, so I can do the draft...

If anyone who hasn't signed up yet still wants to do so, you have until September 5th! After then it's too late, and you'll have to wait until next year (assuming there will be another tourney next year)...

If possible, we should try to have as many people as possible to play at the same time, makes the logistics easier. Try to at least keep the weekends of September free as much as possible for this tournament (not many suggestions for names have been received so we'll stick to 'Lemur Trophy' if noone objects)...
Old August 28, 2002, 16:22   #135
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

No can do. You guys will have to do this one without me. I am out of town from Sept. 6-9
Old August 28, 2002, 16:27   #136
Locutus
Deity

BTW, what do you mean with GMT? Apolyton GMT (i.e. the time it currently is in London, i.e. GMT+1 (corrected for summer time)), or 'real' GMT (not corrected for summer time)?

'Real' GMT (which I prefer myself, especially since we're switching from summer time to winter time soon, and the date when this happens is not the same worldwide) it is now 22:30 CET, 20:30 GMT and (if I'm not mistaken) 16:30 EST. See the top of my post to see at what time I posted this in your timezone to 'orientate'...
Old August 28, 2002, 16:29   #137
Locutus
Deity

TheArsenal,
If enough people can't play that weekend, maybe one (or more) of the games can be moved to some other date? (Even if you're the only one this might still be possible, depending on how flexible people's schedules are...)
Old August 28, 2002, 16:35   #138
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Okay, sounds good. I'll wait and see what happens because I do want to play. The irony is that , of course, is the only weekend I am not around until I take my trip to London in late November. But it always works that way, doesn't it?

The next Single Player tournament should be starting pretty soon as well. How's that going?
Old August 28, 2002, 16:35   #139
Maquiladora
Emperor

Oh OK I meant anytime after 1pm GMT+1 is fine for me then.
Old August 28, 2002, 17:00   #140
Locutus
Deity

I will start a new game soon. It ain't September 1 yet... (still can't decide what mod to use - have had several requested for GoodMod again but another mod would be better to give more modmakers a chance for feedback - then again, due to the Tournament less people might participate and that could hurt the feedback again )
Old August 28, 2002, 17:40   #141
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I'm still interested.

So a 1300 GMT start time would make it 4:00 in the morning California time. Yikes! Oh well, nothing like starting a day early...

All of my contact information is contained in the Registration Thread.
Old August 29, 2002, 08:55   #142
Cookie Monster
King

I will be out of town during sept 7 & 8 but may have access to a computer. If not then anytime after sept 9 will work for me. I send Locutus a PM as I know more.
Old August 29, 2002, 14:28   #143
ETB
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
I'm still interested.

So a 1300 GMT start time would make it 4:00 in the morning California time. Yikes! Oh well, nothing like starting a day early...

All of my contact information is contained in the Registration Thread.
I need to go back to math class! PST is GMT – 8 hours, so that’s 1300-0800=0500 PST. But you are on daylight savings, so it would be 0600 hours PDT, right? I agree that we should use “standard” time references and leave it up to the individual to adjust (or not) for daylight savings. Anyway, I’m glad that I am on the US east coast – I seem to be in the middle!

Locutus, count me IN. My profile is in the MP thread. And, it looks like I will have time the weekend of the 7th to boot!
Old August 29, 2002, 15:08   #144
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

You are right ETB...I was doing the math from Germany to California, not England (GMT) to California.
That's what I get for staying in Germany for almost 15 years while in the Army.

Oh good! One more hour of sleep (or possibly 2, with daylight savings [but I don't think so])
Old August 29, 2002, 15:15   #145
Maquiladora
Emperor

Well i dont think 1pm GMT-1 is a confirmed time, i dont mind starting in the early evening(6/7pm), which would be better for all PST(etc) people.
Old August 29, 2002, 20:07   #146
Locutus
Deity

A timeframe good for Europe, eastcoast AND westcoast US would probably be from 16:00h GMT (9:00h PST, 12:00h EST, 17:00h London Time, 18:00h CET) until about 22:00h (15:00h PST, 18:00h EST, 23:00h London Time, 24:00h CET), maybe an hour earlier or later. That gives you about 6 hours for one session (7 or 8 if everyone can agree to play longer), without forcing anyone (except maybe Asians/Aussies, but I don't think we have many) to play on very unpleasant times. But of course, if all players in one particular game can agree that 14:00h GMT would be a better starting time, there's nothing to stop them from moving the game forward. If everyone just gives his favoured times it should be easy enough to work that out.
Old August 31, 2002, 07:00   #147
dregman
Settler

i'm still in.....
so it's next weekend huh
looking forward to it
Old September 3, 2002, 03:53   #148
dregman
Settler

No Wonderss??!?!
why are there no wonders?
wonders are THE thing that makes the game competative.

they make good reasons to start a War!!
so please WONDERS!!!!
Old September 3, 2002, 15:44   #149
ETB
Warlord

No wonders is fine with me for this tourney, maybe they’ll be included in the next one.

What about the world shape? I think a doughnut world is weird to visualize, but it would be fair to use in MP. Otherwise, a person who happens to start near the top (or bottom) of an earth-world map will have an advantage of NOT being invaded from above (or below). So, do we use doughnut worlds in MP?
Old September 3, 2002, 16:29   #150
Maquiladora
Emperor

The exact reason both these options are prefered. No Wonders becasuse it gradually makes the stronger the unbeatable and donut world so, even if the terrain isnt identical, no one goes 300 turns without seeing someone else because theyre trapped at the top/bottom, thats kind of an advantage.