View Poll Results: what Shall we discover next?
Fundamentalism 1 5.26%
Genetic Engineering 1 5.26%
Guerrilla Warfare 1 5.26%
Magnetism 1 5.26%
Refining 0 0%
Theory of Gravity 1 5.26%
Magnetism->Electricity 0 0%
Refining->Combustion 1 5.26%
Refining->Combustion->Theory of Gravity->Flight 10 52.63%
Magnetism->Electricity->Electronics 0 0%
Magnetism->Electricity->Steel 1 5.26%
Magnetism->Electricity->Refrigeration 0 0%
Theory of Gravity->Atomic Theory 1 5.26%
We need Banana growing technology! 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 1, 2002, 17:55   #1
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 22:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Science Report 1812
"All the world marvels at our superior intellect sire!" As well they should, we're the most advanced nation, but that is no reason to rest on our laurels, We need to continue to encourage our scientists to discover new technologies for us.

We are currently researching theology which will allow us to build J.S. Bach's Cathedral(Decreases Unhappy Citizens on continent by 2 per city) It also cancels the effects of the Oracle which is in Delhi. The Oracle doubles the effects of all temples, so a period of disorder is possible in several cities which are close to going into disorder.

After that we can research: Fundamentalism, Genetic Engineering, Guerrilla Warfare, Magnestism, refining or Theory of Gravity.

--Fundamentalism Allows us to build Fanatics(4-4-1) We have the Statue of Liberty so there is no reason to discover Fundy unless we want Fanatics

--Genetic Engineering would allow us to build the Cure for Cancer wonder which is not really neccessary to have under a communist government.

--Guerrilla Warfare Allows us to build Partisans(4-4-1 all as road) and research Labor Union(w/mass production) which would give us Mech Infantry(6-6-3)

--Magnetism Which would normally allow us to build Galleons but we have already discovered industrialization and they would be obsolete. We could build Frigates but ironclads or transports would do a better job. We could also research Electricity. Magnetism also cancels the Lighthouse and we would lose one movement point for every ship and the automatic veteran status of every new ship built
Minister of war Shade reccommends we avoid discovering this tech for at least a few more turns.

--Refining Allows us to build power plants and research Combustion and Plastics(w/Spaceflight)

--Theory of Gravity Allows us to build Isaac Newton's College which doubles science output in that city and research Atomic Theory and Flightw/combustion)

#################

Explanation of Secondary Technologies

--Electricity(requires Magnetism) It would allow us to build Destroyers(4-4-6) and research electronics, Radio(w/Flight), Refrigeration, and Steel. However, it would upgrade all our veteran ironclads to green destroyers and would cancel the Great Library, (which would be no great loss.) As with Magnestism, Minister of War, Shade reccommends against discovering Electricity for a while.

--Combustion(which requires Refining) would allow us to research Automobile(w/Steel), Flight(w/Theory of Gravity) and allow us to build Submarines(10-2-3) which IMO would be useless in this stage of the game.

--Atomic Theory would allow us to research Nuclear Fission wich would allow us to build the manhattan project, however nukes would not be available until we discover rocketry somewhere off in the distant future. In my mind, this make Atomic Theory worthless to us at this stage.

--Flight requires three techs which we have not yet acquired(Refining, Combustion and the Theory of Gravity). However it would allow us to build Fighters(4-2-10) It would also allow us to research Radio(w/Electricity).
Flight also cancels the effects of the Collossus which is in the Babylonian city of Ur However Minister of War Shade will probab;y conquer Ur before we discover flight
#################
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	science1812.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	18573  
Old July 1, 2002, 19:41   #2
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Question: If we discovered Magnetism, would our Caravels upgrade to Galleons and then to Transports?

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old July 1, 2002, 21:01   #3
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

i have tested it and yes, they would be upgraded over a period of two turns.
Old July 2, 2002, 01:53   #4
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Local Time: 21:33
I want nukes, even if there is noone left to use them on!

Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old July 2, 2002, 04:59   #5
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 03:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I advise, to Research this technology line; Refining->Combustion->Theory of Gravity->Flight!
Old July 2, 2002, 06:08   #6
Hydey
Emperor

Local Time: 13:33
Forget science, we have all we need to finish this game off very quickly

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old July 2, 2002, 06:35   #7
shade
King

Local Time: 04:33
Airplanes would be nice, so MdS's pidgen-brigade can take a rest ...

Shade
Old July 2, 2002, 07:01   #8
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 05:33
I agree with Hydey, we might as well set sience at 0% and get extra money for bribing/rushbuying.
Old July 2, 2002, 07:11   #9
James Adams
Prince

We need to keep research so to keep head of the others by the most possible margin!
Old July 2, 2002, 07:50   #10
Hydey
Emperor

keep ahead of the others , there will be no others in 2 sessions

Old July 2, 2002, 07:55   #11
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

I agree with atawa and Hydey. Any sciences obtained by others will become ours with the next, inevitable city conquest.

We might aw well go 0% science, boost our taxes, and, while we're at it, GO FUNDY.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old July 2, 2002, 10:15   #12
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 21:33
Quote:
Originally posted by shade
Airplanes would be nice, so MdS's pidgen-brigade can take a rest ...

Shade

Genetic Engineering! It's time for a dead end tech! Seriously, tho, Cure for Cancer makes one happy citizen in each city. That boosts final score...

The world is ours to mop up. By the time we discover flight, the game is already over.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 2, 2002, 15:47   #13
H Tower

as for the question of lowering the science rate, it was disscussed during the last administration by Ixnay. the result of the poll actually called for an increase in the science rate. I was actually one of the people advocating a lower science rate you can find the discussion here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=53771

We also discussed changing governments during the last administration too. communism beat out fundy. read about it here. http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=53771

Could the situation have changed that quickly? the government change thread is still on page 1.
Old July 2, 2002, 18:18   #14
cavebear
Emperor

Once we got Spies and Transport, there really wasn't anything valuable to us to research, so the situation *has* changed. The only thing that *might* be useful is upgrading our existing Caravels to Transports, and we need Magnetism for that. But even that (the upgrade) would take 7 or 8 turns, and I expect our Caravels and existing Transports can deliver all we have excess by that time. The 500 gold per turn is better now.

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old July 2, 2002, 22:31   #15
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:33
H Tower - perhaps a quick poll about the science rate - given our changed circumstances - is in order?

Premier of Apolytonia
MrWIA.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 2, 2002, 23:09   #16
cavebear
Emperor

I agree. I think it is time to consider a cessation of tech research in favor of gold accumulations, due to special end-of-game considerations. I think it is quite legitimate for the Minister of Science to consider no more science research.

Old July 2, 2002, 23:41   #17
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:33
Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
I agree. I think it is time to consider a cessation of tech research in favor of gold accumulations, due to special end-of-game considerations. I think it is quite legitimate for the Minister of Science to consider no more science research.

I just realized - if this happens the Science Advisor's last job may be to put himself out of work!

Premier of Apolytonia
MrWIA.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 3, 2002, 04:27   #18
James Adams
Prince

We need more technology we need to get wonder's to make our end-game score as high as possible!
Old July 3, 2002, 16:28   #19
H Tower

please continue all discussion on adjusting the science rate in this thread. http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...14#post1093455

this thread should remain open to debate what technology should be next, if there is a next.
Old July 3, 2002, 20:58   #20
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
I just realized - if this happens the Science Advisor's last job may be to put himself out of work!
I did realize that, and so I posted my suggestion with some considerable reluctance. I am naturally sympathetic to the interests of an elected official to get to play out his/her turn. On the other hand, there is still the legitimate concern for the best strategy to end the game quickly with efficient use of all possible resources.

Indeed, it is worth noting that your own job may be to end your Presidency before it's alotted time. Would you deliberately drag the game out in order to play the whole month? So it is also with the other positions.

Old July 3, 2002, 21:54   #21
H Tower

i knew going in before the election that i could be jobless. in fact i tried to make it so that the science advisor position never existed when we debated this just before the election. but the will of the people said wait a while before stopping research, and if the will of the people says to stop, i(we) will stop. i wouldn't have it any other way. and if i give the sermon at my own funeral, that's that. And when we start the next game, i'll have some government service under my belt and some practice at doing the science advisor position.
Old July 4, 2002, 03:45   #22
James Adams
Prince

We need to just lower the science rate to 60%!
Old July 4, 2002, 04:54   #23
Hydey
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by James Adams
We need to just lower the science rate to 60%!
Please dicuss this in the other thread
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=54756

Last edited by Hydey; July 4, 2002 at 05:07.
Old July 4, 2002, 04:56   #24
James Adams
Prince

Hydey, I got this when i click at your link Congratulations! You found a missing page
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthre...714

If you care too much about it (or about the well-being of our site ) please report the error

If you are using our IP address to access the site, please use our domain name(apolyton.net) instead!

To help you in your quest, here are some tools(take a look at the links at the bottom of the page too):
Apolyton CS Site Search (using Google)

Apolyton CS News Archive Search
Category: AnyAboutAltCiv2Civ2MacCiv2ToTCiv3CtPCtP2CtPMacDino MiscMoO3RoNSMACSMACX Look in: News TitleNews ContentBoth
Find: ANDORNOT
Put in the words or phrases that you want to search for. Do not include AND or OR, use the selector instead

Apolyton CS Forums Search Engine (you must be registered and logged in for this to work)
Search By Keyword Search By User Name

Basic query: seperate your search terms with spaces.

Advanced query: Join words with AND, OR and NOT to control you search in more detail.
Add asterisks (*) to use wild cards in your search (*bullet* matches vBulletin etc.)

Match exact name
Match partial name

Search Options
Search Forum... Search For Posts From... Sort Results By...

Search All Open Forums Civilization III-- Civ3-General-- Civ3-Play the World-- Civ3-Strategy-- Civ3-Civilizations-- Civ3-Files-- Civ3-Creation-- Civ3-Help-- Civ3-StoriesMaster of Orion-- MOO3-- MOO1/2Big Huge Games-- Rise of NationsCivilization II-- Civ2-General/Help-- Civ2-Democratic Games-- Civ2-Test of Time-- Civ2-Strategy-- Civ2-Creation-- Civ2-MultiplayingCall To Power II-- CtP2-General/Help/Strategy/Multiplaying-- CtP2-Creation/AI/Mods/ScenariosAlpha Centauri-- AC-General/Help/Strategy-- AC-Creation-- AC-Fiction-- AC-MultiplayingCivilization: Call To Power-- CtP-General/Help/Strategy-- CtP-Creation-- CtP-MultiplayingHosted Sites-- HS-The Spanish Civilization II Site-- HS-Scenario LeagueAlternative Civs / Other Games-- Classic Games (Civilization I, Colonization, MoM)-- Alternative Civilizations-- Clash of Civilizations-- Trade Wars 2002-- The Courts of Candle'Bre---- The Courts of Candle'Bre (private)-- Freeciv-- Guns, Germs & Steel-- Europa Universalis-- Other Games---- DinosaursMiscellaneous-- Civ-Macintosh---- Mac-Civilization II---- Mac-Alpha Centauri---- Mac-Call To Power-- Apolyton/Community-- Apolyton Staff Room (private)-- Stories & Diplomacy-- Off-Topic-- Archive---- Civ3-General-Archive---- Civ3-The List of Ideas for Firaxis - Archive---- Civ3-Release Info/Availability---- AC-Multiplaying-Archive---- CtP-Multiplaying-Archive---- Apolyton/Community-Archive---- Off-Topic-Archive

Search entire posts
Search titles only Show results as posts
Show results as threads

any date yesterday a week ago 2 weeks ago a month ago 3 months ago 6 months ago a year ago

and newer
and older

title number of replies number of views last posting date poster forum

in ascending order
in descending order
Old July 4, 2002, 05:09   #25
Hydey
Emperor

Thats strange, try again as it worked for me just now.

Old July 4, 2002, 06:02   #26
James Adams
Prince

Strange is a word that is not strong enought for this, I try again and it worked!