Old July 2, 2002, 00:07   #1
Palleon
Warlord

Local Time: 21:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Invisible Bombers...the next superweapon?
I think I've come across anouther bug. I was the Babylonians again (I hate their UU, but I love scientific/religious combo), and you might have read my post before, where I had a battleship that when I told it to bombard to the right, it would turn left and fire. Well, this is 3 or so games down the line, and I began bombing London, right before my cultural victory. Anyways, It was at extreme range to the east of me, and I sent out my bombers. The bombers didn't show up, but the bombs dropping did. But they dropped from right to left. My units seem to be a little confused about where they're supposed to be attacking from. And I'm sure everyone noticed this too, but about 50% of my bombing strikes don't show the bomb drop animation. Anyone know if this is going to be fixed in the patch? In the meantime, I'll continue to use my invisible bombers to wreak havoc.

On a side note, the English shot down one of my bombers with an invisible fighter. It was in the same city, so I'm guessing it was a problem with those squares.
Old July 2, 2002, 03:12   #2
Qilue
King

Local Time: 13:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Do you have unit animation turned off?

Kind of like checking to see if the TV is plugged in before calling the TV repairer.
Old July 2, 2002, 10:34   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 20:34
Combat Animation Off would definitely provide this symptom, but Palleon would have noted how he had no idea how combats progressed (unless he had JUST turned it off prior to the bombings). I find such "invisible bombers" etc. wreak havoc more on myself than anything else.

There was an early version of the game when I once had this symptom, many months ago. Reboot and it probably won't happen again; but check your preferences.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 2, 2002, 10:47   #4
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
Invisible bombers I haven't seen yet , but those battlehips firing the wrong way is fairly common in my games. IIRC it only switches between East-West bombardment, not in any other direction.
Oh well, at least they hit the right target...

DeepO
Old July 2, 2002, 11:55   #5
Palleon
Warlord

Yes, unit animation is on. Also, I mentioned this somewhere else, but I might as well bring it back to the top again, hopefully someone will look at this before the patch, but when enemy units bombard your units with bombers, you never see how much damage you take. As soon as the bomber finishes its run, it moves to the next visible unit, if your unit dies (lethal bombard on), you never find out until you try to find the unit the next turn. Hopefully this can be addressed.
Old July 2, 2002, 13:06   #6
Carver
Prince

Palleon et al, it sounds like your units are at the "edge" of the map, the Prime Meridian if you will - the extreme left and right borders of the map. Units bombarding from the extreme rightward tile onto the extreme leftward tile (or vice versa) will face the wrong direction. Quite funny.
Old July 2, 2002, 13:09   #7
Palleon
Warlord

You know what, looking at the map, that appears to be true. My base was on the right of the map, and the city was on the extreme left of the map. At least that explains the direction of the bombs, not their cloaking device though....
Old July 2, 2002, 14:19   #8
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
Thanks Carver, that could certainly be the cause. I don't have a save from one of those strange BS bombardments, so I can't check, but it would explain why I only saw it when bombarding 'sideways', not North-South.

DeepO
Old July 2, 2002, 22:29   #9
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 22:34
I thought 1.21f was supposed to fix invisable fighters?