Old July 2, 2002, 18:17   #1
arenor
Settler

Local Time: 19:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help a New use on Apolyton??? Please?
Hey - I'm new to Apolyton; as a matter of fact it had been a couple of years since I'd even played Civ II. But I found it cheap at Target a week ago and now I'm hooked again.

But then I found this website and all the cool scenarios and "Mod-Packs" and now I have a question.

What do I have to do to use these things? Simply download them and copy them into the Civ directory?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx, Arenor Pendragon
Old July 2, 2002, 19:28   #2
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 21:36
For scenarios: Download them into the "Scenario" directory. Unzip into their own directories. (I assume you have something other than the original or Test of Time.)

Modpacks are unzipped directly into the base directory.
Old July 2, 2002, 21:40   #3
arktiem
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:36
Re: Help a New use on Apolyton??? Please?
Hey there, Arenor!!

Quote:
Originally posted by arenor
Hey - I'm new to Apolyton; as a matter of fact it had been a couple of years since I'd even played Civ II. But I found it cheap at Target a week ago and now I'm hooked again.

But then I found this website and all the cool scenarios and "Mod-Packs" and now I have a question.

What do I have to do to use these things? Simply download them and copy them into the Civ directory?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx, Arenor Pendragon
First of all, welcome to Apolyton! This is one of the best sites around for all things Civ and you will find a great bunch of folk here who are always ready to lend assistance.

I'm glad you re-picked up a copy of Civ II and are playing it again. It is still one the best games around (I have them all and play them all and after all these years it still hooks me with that "one more turn... just one more turn" that has caused many a dawn to come on me way too quickly.

For a good number of the Scenarios available for download you will need to have either the "Conflicts in Civilization" and/or "Fantastic Worlds" add-ons. These are available pretty cheap online and are well worth the money for all the neat goodies and fixes it adds (even though Fantastic Worlds does add a few bugs for scenario designers... but it's still worth it). There are still a LOT of scenarios out there designed simply for Civ II v2.42 (there are official patches to bring it to this if your version is lower). There are also unofficial patches for plain old Civ II which will allow it to emulate Fantastic Worlds or MGE (Multiplayer Gold Edition). These can be found at:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2cedric.shtml

Read through the instructions given at the Civilization Fantatics Center and you will be able to play them in no times. Generally (once you have either the official or unofficial upgrades) you simply need to unzip the files into a directory you create within the "Scenario" directory of Civ II. If the3re are sound files which are not in their own subdirectory, you need to make a directory called "Sound" within the particular Scenario's directory and move the wave files into it. There are usually readme's accompanying the Scenario you download which go into detail of how to properly install stuff.

Hope that helps for starters. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask! That's what we are all here for.

Arktiem
Old July 3, 2002, 05:45   #4
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 03:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hi arenor and welcome to the best Civ site in the world.

As for scenarios - only a very few will work with the original SP Civ2 v2.42 - but there are some -- look in the Great Library (topped thread in Civ2|Strategy or follow the link in my sig) for a run down of the various variants of Civ2 that followed this. If you have the MP MGE version just about all the scenarios will work in this one, but the aggresive AI can unballance some early scenarios

Hope this all helps,

SG[1]
Old July 3, 2002, 09:19   #5
arenor
Settler

Local Time: 19:36
Hey everyone - thanx for the information! Much appreciated. I'm not sure if I need a patch or not; guess I need to check that out. I did find Conflicts in Civilization & Fantasy Worlds - just waiting for shipping.

Next thing I need to do is start reading some strategy tips! I've gotten my butt handed to me in four straight games - one where I thought I was winning until the Zulus marched about 50 tanks onto my continent - ugh!

Thanx again and look forward to seeing you around!

Arenor
Old July 3, 2002, 12:22   #6
Marquis de Sodaq
King

The topped thread "Great Library Index" contains links to numerous old strategy and information threads. You will come away from your browsing a better player!

Welcome (back) to our addiction!

As for scenarios, any subdirectory under the main CivII directory will do. It does not need to be named anything in particular, and can even rest further down the tree, e.g. C:\programs\civII\cool_scenarios\ancient\THIS_ONE - the scenario THIS_ONE will work, too.

Many useful threads can be found here and in the strategy forum, as well. Don't be afraid to open a new thread when seeking info.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 4, 2002, 03:31   #7
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

M le Marquis - is that correct? I was under the impression that any sub-directory would do not just one below the Civ directory. I have just learned something...

SG[1]
Old July 5, 2002, 12:57   #8
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq As for scenarios, any subdirectory under the main CivII directory will do.
SG[1], you are correct - the game just cares that everything you need is in the same directory. It does not need to be under the CivII directory. Being one who actually organizes his directory structure (spillover of work responsibility at home, perhaps), it does not occur to me to mention such ludicrous possibilities!

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 5, 2002, 14:50   #9
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Ah - but organisation is not unique - i have scenario directories under My Documents/Civilisation/Scenarios/ this seems quite logical to me. although there are a few under Dowloads/Civilisation/Scenarios/

SG[1]