Old July 31, 2003, 07:46   #571
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 04:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Perhaps you should look beyond your own propoganda Brother Thrar.
The Pirates last 2 remaining sea colonies will be under new management soon as their capital and last large control centre near Hiverian territory were taken this year.
Chairman Lazerus announces that the Maratime control centre will be operational next year thus cementing the Hives recent domination of the oceans.
Also the planetary council has been convened by Chairman Lazerus, the Hive will again be contesting Brother Thrar for the leadership as his bureaucratic UN has done nothing to further the development of the human race as a species, instead they sit around debating matters until they no longer concern the rest of the world.

Hive - Hive (81)
Peacekeepers - ?
Conc. - ?
Angels - ?
Drones - ?

Hive analysists predict a lead of 148-135 as a minimum win for the Hive as people choose to turn their back on the UN.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old August 1, 2003, 09:22   #572
Thrar
Warlord

Local Time: 03:38
gg

the outcome of the game was probably clear from the moment Phobos joined your alliance, and at this point, even if all of us would ally against Laz he would likely still win the game.
This may be not 100% certain, but i'd say it would take me at least 10 turns to get a decent force, and by then waab would already have lost half his bases and probably more.
In all other cases Laz will only grow stronger in peace. More pop than anyone, the spy information to prevent any surprises, there would be no chance for me (or anyone else) to get to similar power, especially while your alliance is in place.
My plans were to attack Sven myself, but it would have taken me another 8-10 turns until i would have declared war - if i had taken all or most of Sven's bases, my pop had been high enough to win all governor elections by myself, and I would have focused on becoming dominant on sea and air - not easy, but maybe possible with the spy information, 6 turn research and 90+ energy per turn. Long-term goal would have been to establish enough sea bases protected by air power, and finally attack with chaos (or better) needlejet, where perim defenses are useless.
I think my chances to actually do all this were not good (even if I had had 10 more turns to attack Sven), fighting roughly 1v2, but it was the only way that could have gotten me anywhere I think. My peacetime eco and research are about equal to what the three of you have together, but in terms of production you are 1.5-2 times as strong i think, and besides, I am 5 tech behind.

The decision to build the VW instead of planetary datalinks was based on the hope that one of you might finally decide to try and become #1 himself, instead of just working for Laz, which would have meant to ally with me, and would have gotten me all the techs the datalinks would have given. Since 1v3 my chances were not good in the long run anyway, I decided to go for it. Probe teams would have given me the crucial tech like airpower and superstring, if the 3 of you had researched them before me, but then you'd likely declare war on me, so that would only have been an option if i was ready for that.
The other thing, when I talked about a surprise you wouldn't like, I infiltrated your datalinks. At that time I thought I'd lose the governorship for 20 years when attacking Sven (since he'd vote for you), so I wanted to prepare for that. I thought you'd get a message, but apparently you didn't, so I guess it didn't make much sense to you .

I think we all learned a lot in this game, I sure did, and if you want, I'd like to start over again. From my point of view it doesn't make much sense playing further in this one, but if you want to go on, I'd play my turns, don't expect any surprises from me though. If you are interested, I can send you my last turn (the one before now, or this one) and the password, so you can take a look for yourself. I know your situation quite well I think, thanks to governorship .

gg, guys!
Old August 1, 2003, 13:22   #573
Lazerus
King

I'd say the Hive grows stronger in war
A fact proven had Waab broken pact and hit me he would have been down to around 3 or 4 small bases within 10 turns (I'm ruthless against stuff like that). After that imagine my industrial output with double my land and the fact i'd be able to just leave some bases doing nothing but housing 7 librarians.
Getting control of the seas was an added bonus to taking out Sven, also removing him as a player in the council elections was a good reason after he supported you and kept you in last time, though i'd have still killed him for his attitude problem and the fact he'd have probably started destroying my coastal improvements soon (precious boreholes)
Neither Phobos or Waab had a chance of getting the planetary datalinks as you saw anyways, i kept a base to specially build it the turn i got cyber ethics, and had you built it i would have declared war
Hmm i got no warning about being infiltrated, i was expecting some sort of probe team action when you said that though.
I've learnt we always seem to end up fighting each other every time we've played you always want to oppose me
I think we should have played more aggressively aswell, the 3 of us should have cancelled treaty with you and put it down to truce thus denying you alot of energy from trade. I should have built more formers and raised land earlier for more territory and Rothe needs to show me his drone strategy for getting a tech every 5yrs with FM while having an industrial output close to the Hive.

ps, as for knowing my situation and launching an attack on me i knew it was coming and ready for it, and i'd very soon know your situation

Personally I'd like to continue for abit, since PBEM's are so tedious at the start and im only in 1 other thats 2150 but if anybody is up for IP play the first 50yrs as usual and carrying from there that idea would definately interest me.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Last edited by Lazerus; August 1, 2003 at 13:37.
Old August 6, 2003, 04:10   #574
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 22:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Come on Thrar
Just send the turn out. Let's go ahead and get a date for the new game though. I agree that we should start off IP for the first 50 or so turns.
Arcainite
PS - We should get a neutral CMN and I think 5 is a good number still but leaves us open to 3 against 2 scenarios. Perhaps we should go with 1 more or 1 less player.
Old August 6, 2003, 07:05   #575
Lazerus
King

Phobos mentioned hes got army service in a few months and that knocks him out for 6months so i think there would just be the 4 of us from here anyways ?

Also post a few times when you'd be available to play IP, im on holidays atm so its basically just the few nights that i go clubbing with friends that are limiting my time. Is everyone OK with IP for abit aswell ? Just a few hours of your day to save 5-6months getting the pbem interesting.

Last edited by Lazerus; August 6, 2003 at 07:19.
Old August 6, 2003, 10:33   #576
Thrar
Warlord

Local Time: 03:38
Turn sent.

I also sent my last 2 turns to all of you, if you want to have a look.
Note that in case of a military war, you would have completely owned me. After all, you (waab+laz) do have about twice the mineral output i have, on a higher tech-level in addition.
I think we should open a new thread for the next game, and leave it open for everyone to join, with priority for the players from this game. If we come to a decision about the rules and stuff until then, i'd have time to start playing via IP on sunday evening and night GMT.
Old August 6, 2003, 14:36   #577
waab
Prince

Local Time: 05:38
No I am not in for IP, my conection is really bad.
What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
Old August 6, 2003, 16:00   #578
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 22:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New game
New thread will be started. I say we call it Legacy of Lazerus (aka Legacy of a Madman) LOL. The governments flee from the planet of Arcainite's Agenda where Lazerus has taken control, but little do they know that Lazerus has sent a small team after them! Heehee.
Well, I'm open to other suggestions. I'm good at almost any time right now, except for this weekend. Next weekend and so on should be ok. I'll let you know if there are other days I can't play on...like the 13th I can't play on either. I assume we're starting IP still, or are we starting PBEM so waab can join us?
Arcainite
PS - I think this game is about done now, Thrar is practically folding. We can do one more turn or keep it going until we're all satisfied that the winner will be Lazerus. Perhaps Phobos and waab have something going on we don't know about.
Old August 7, 2003, 07:08   #579
Lazerus
King

lol gee ... thanks, i play all nice and friendly and still get labelled a madman, u'd hate to see me in nerve staple + war mode
I loaded up one of Thrars old turns since ive got infiltration now so it doesn't really matter, I've got almost 2.5 times your industrial output myself, and i see what you mean about no position to fight. Was right about should have played more aggressive aswell, without the govt bonus and treaties with us have have knocked atleast 1/3 of all your energy off.

Waab aslong as your isp is stable even 56k can handle a game of smax, it just adds 10secs or so to the upkeep, plus we save often in the event some1 does drop.

If we are playing IP then friday night aint good for me, not sure about sat night yet but all afternoons are fine, then again theres timezones so its going to be evenings for me whenever we play really so thur,sat?,sun,wed,thur etc are all ok with me

Last edited by Lazerus; August 7, 2003 at 07:50.
Old August 7, 2003, 13:21   #580
waab
Prince

It not just the modem...it is the cost and the time.

I missed a test (to much SMAX) before summer at university I am going for the second run in about two weeks so I have to studie, and work to get some money. After that vacation a week walking around in the mountains.

But I say as the other, Laz is going to win this because he plays Yang as I HATE to play. I am a builder and proud of it but in smax it doesn't work against people like laz.
What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
Old August 7, 2003, 22:59   #581
Lazerus
King

I'm a hybrid builder so theres not that much difference, just i can roll into a war machine far easier then you. If i was playing the flip side of Yang as a momentum player i'd just be slinging 20 rovers at everybody nearby until they were dead or submissive

Well if this is over; thanks to everyone who played in it, great fun completing my first PBEM
Old August 8, 2003, 14:01   #582
waab
Prince

What I meant is that your are using infiniti bases, personaly I like a few big bases