Old July 10, 2002, 19:58   #31
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"-I know all about that Oy... being away from computer games for 2 months hurts."

Yes it seems a segment of the populations brain transistors are wired to love this stuff, while 'normal' people think were mad. I cannot, go a week without playing a game. I need it like ciggarrettes, sex, and food. God help me if there were ever a war of some sorts and power might be cut off.

As for time. Bleh..until the liberals can achieve the global welfare state. I cant fit in more than 10 hours a week in gaming. Even then, thats pushing it.

*heres to hoping for the global welfare state*
Old July 11, 2002, 00:05   #32
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 21:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Asheron's Call was, definitely, the best MMORPG ever made so far.

Asheron's Call 2 looks absolutely stunning!
Old July 11, 2002, 03:38   #33
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 04:38
Quote:
Originally posted by RonHiler
Hmmm, not sure I follow that, Grumbold. Content doesn't, in general, close in AC. They've retired a *very* few quests (four or five total), but, unless you have some hangup about being the *first* to run a quest , you can always do the quests whenever you feel like it. The first large quest, "The Sword of Lost Light" was introduced in Beta testing, and it's still there for anyone who wants to do it. Almost all of the other quests are the same way.
I'm not talking about the set cookie cutter quests but the ones introduced by monthly content updates. Hmm, its a while ago now but I'll try and give some examples-

Giant snow beast was available for 1 month that dropped a cool mage robe then the monster was removed.

During the war of shadow plot there were attacks on towns by named "generals". Each attack was a once-per-server event that took place in US peak times.

Dungeons were opened up to provide high level content that proved so good for XP farming but loading the servers so hard they had to close. The players of appropriate (i.e. highest) level got a month or two of insane speed levelling in before the areas were locked and then drastically toned down.

Again during the shadow war there were goodies that you collected and cashed in for cool weapons and armour. A couple of months later they decided the items were too powerful and changed the reward for all future cash ins but left the current version untouched. Greater Shadow Armor mark 1 instantly became the highest price AC item on Ebay.

Perhaps in year 2 they were more careful about tailoring the plotlines so this happened less? My small alliance started to see each new patch day as the time that current content that we were looking forward to when our characters got a few levels higher would close, not an opportunity to experience more cool stuff. Thats why we left.

On DAoC there is absolutely no doubt that there is much more content now than existed before. The patches have included far more than just bug fixes. Like AC and EQ the game world started with its high level content being extremely limited. Nine months later and there are new zones, new quests and new monsters capable of kicking the butt of whole armies of max-level characters. If something gets added that proves unbalancing then its changed for everybody.
Old July 11, 2002, 04:22   #34
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 23:38
Quote:
Yes it seems a segment of the populations brain transistors are wired to love this stuff, while 'normal' people think were mad. I cannot, go a week without playing a game. I need it like ciggarrettes, sex, and food. God help me if there were ever a war of some sorts and power might be cut off.
-I can achieve months only by putting a small ocean between myself and my computer (literally).

Quote:
Dungeons were opened up to provide high level content that proved so good for XP farming but loading the servers so hard they had to close. The players of appropriate (i.e. highest) level got a month or two of insane speed levelling in before the areas were locked and then drastically toned down.
-The most insane powerlevelers in DAoC can easily reach level 50 in that amount of time.
Old July 11, 2002, 18:29   #35
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Galis
-The most insane powerlevelers in DAoC can easily reach level 50 in that amount of time.
Yes I think its one of the nice things about DAoC (and was about AO before they tweaked things) that the high level game that really only opens up when you hit 46+ can actually be attained by "normal" people, not just 24/7 guild leaders and their closest allies. DAoC is the only MMORPG where I've ever been able to really get far enough to compete on a level playing field. Of course they have all the rare gear and I don't, but still, its nice to be able to do a bit of PvP without getting instakilled by someone godlike....
Old July 12, 2002, 03:52   #36
Victor Galis
Emperor

Quote:
Yes I think its one of the nice things about DAoC (and was about AO before they tweaked things) that the high level game that really only opens up when you hit 46+ can actually be attained by "normal" people, not just 24/7 guild leaders and their closest allies. DAoC is the only MMORPG where I've ever been able to really get far enough to compete on a level playing field. Of course they have all the rare gear and I don't, but still, its nice to be able to do a bit of PvP without getting instakilled by someone godlike....
-Bah... You can get decent PvP action at level 40. I usually just hide and snipe at people in the Albion army... of course my hiding is generally done in the middle of a Hibernian army
They've also put in the Battlegrounds, which give you some ersatz RvR action as soon as level 20. (That was pretty nice of them, but if the Battlegrounds actually counted for something, it would be nicer).
Old July 13, 2002, 12:11   #37
Grumbold
Emperor

The battlegrounds are nice, but only the 20-24 BG saw many players when I was looking for action, and an empty BG is boring as hell. I also tried PvP at 40 but as a cleric I found myself completely useless against opponents of higher level (almost everybody) so levelling up a bit more seemed advisable. The nice thing was that it was possible to do so without playing 24/7 for two months to achieve it.
Old July 14, 2002, 11:29   #38
Victor Galis
Emperor

As a 40 ranger, I saw plenty of action against the enemy. Sure, I wasn't much use, but it was fun. And I could get realm points or do a bit of damage.