Old July 3, 2002, 12:03   #1
nil8r
Settler

Local Time: 19:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
civ patch
i've read alot about the bugs of the patch (i don't recall the name, but it's the new one). i don't know much about computers, but the patch seems to create alot of problems. would it be worth it to install?
Old July 3, 2002, 12:20   #2
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 22:41
It worked for me but Caveat Emptor! Be advised you will have to download updates for any add-on programs and your old scenarios and saved games will not work with the new version (1.21) so if you’re currently playing a game you should finish it before you install the patch.
Old July 3, 2002, 12:49   #3
SultanofATL
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
That is a false statement. I had no troubles with saved games when I updated to 1.21. Maybe you had a different experience, but that doesn't mean everyone will. To answer the question I think 1.21 pretty much makes the game what it should have been out of the box.
Old July 4, 2002, 09:17   #4
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 22:41
It was most likely due to the fact I was using the add-on programs before they were upgraded to the new standard. In no way was I suggesting that the patch was in any way flawed.
Old July 4, 2002, 09:37   #5
Papa Chubby
Warlord

After downloading the patch, I realised that I got no Luxury resourcess in any of the games I played. I soon realised that this was because the setting in the editor had been set to 0 in appearance. I just want to know whether this has happened to anyone else, and what the correct appearance is supposed to be. I simply put it on 200, and am getting a whole lot of them, wondering whether it is too much ?
Old July 4, 2002, 09:45   #6
Firebird
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 04:41
Re: civ patch
I have not had many problems with the latest patch (1.21f IIRC). What I liked the most was probably the ability to make bombardment lethal and the bugfixes. One thing I don't like is the limitation on food in the city-tile. I hope they make that an option.

I think there is some bugs in the newer scenario-stuff in the editor, but I have not used that yet. Civ 3 is IMHO much better with 1.21f than ever before.
Old July 4, 2002, 10:02   #7
Firebird
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Papa Chubby
After downloading the patch, I realised that I got no Luxury resourcess in any of the games I played. I soon realised that this was because the setting in the editor had been set to 0 in appearance. I just want to know whether this has happened to anyone else, and what the correct appearance is supposed to be. I simply put it on 200, and am getting a whole lot of them, wondering whether it is too much ?
Mine is 0 all the way with lux. but I still get luxuries. I have tried though to get maps without gems! Which was pretty lame since I had modded a unit to require ... Gems

So now I use Silk or wine when letting a unit require luxury. I think I saw a firaxian state that lux dosn't use the appearence-ratio at all, but I don't think that is correct as my own tests (though not in 1.21f) seemed to show otherwise.
Old July 4, 2002, 10:09   #8
Papa Chubby
Warlord

So me changing the appearance ratio in the editor changed nothing.....
Old July 4, 2002, 12:49   #9
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:41
Yoy can set it to disappear though.
Ive tried this in a few games and the strange thing is that, every time i connected the first one , it dissapeared the very next turn
Old July 4, 2002, 13:08   #10
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 20:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Papa Chubby
When you set it to 0, the number of resources happens randomly, which is the default for Luxuries. So if you weren't getting them, it's just because you were having bad luck. The highest number you can set it to is 300, which, according to the editor help, works out to roughly 3.5 resources per civ, in an 8 civ game, though not necessarily in any particular territory. Leaving it at random, or 0, you generally will get more than that. But as you've noticed, you can also get worse. It all depends on how lucky you are in that particular game.
Old July 4, 2002, 15:15   #11
Firebird
Warlord

Has anyone else had maps with little or no gems severel times? I have heard about one that had the same thing happening, just with oil instead of gems.
Old July 4, 2002, 23:25   #12
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Firebird
Has anyone else had maps with little or no gems severel times? I have heard about one that had the same thing happening, just with oil instead of gems.
A few People have mentioned this, I think it's not that bad actually, presents you with a new challenge, and you deffinately have to change your playing style

Although I don't think this is supossed to happen. I like the fact that sometimes something doesn't occur. I would like to see more of this , You could even file this under random events maybe