Old July 5, 2002, 13:01   #31
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Posted that while the others were going up...

Woohoo!!! AI offense on the way!!

Back to uprisings, my guess:

Worldwide pop reaches a certain level.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 5, 2002, 13:05   #32
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Back OT:

1. Mod guys: Remember, the goal is to develop a "standard" mod for the group to use. Don;t go crazy. Also, given Soren's input above, I would say don;t worry about AI offense for now. I do still think we want to check out AI level and / or aggression settings.

2. Trials and Challenges: I've been dreaming up some stuff that I'll post later today. I specifically ask Sir Ralph, Aeson, and nbarclay to put on their thinking hats... I'd suggest focusing on the early to mid game until the patch comes out.

My first contribution: Capitol Hunt. The challenge is to capture all AI capitols as quickly as possible. Just an idea...
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 5, 2002, 14:25   #33
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 20:42
Re Soren's Barbarian Uprising Challenge
Barbarian Uprisings occur at times of opportunity, similar to real life. Times of turmoil such as Warfare or Anarchy are prime candidates.

Additionally, it always seems to be that it can only occur if an encampment has been undisturbed for awhile.

Do I win the prize, Soren?
Old July 5, 2002, 14:29   #34
cyberhunne
Settler

Local Time: 04:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re barb uprisings: maybe when a certian percentage of the world is "colonized", uprisings occur similar to the "tribes movement" or whatever that´s called in English when loads of germanic tribes invaded Rome etc?
Old July 5, 2002, 14:30   #35
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 06:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis

I'm afraid you are on the wrong track about Barbarian Uprisings. Try to think of it in "Global Historical Terms." Tell you what, if no one figures it out in a week, I'll come back and post the answer.
Soren, then announce it in a week, and don't tell even if someone guesses, I'll try to make this a public one .

I must admit, though, I've only been uprised twice, and once I saw it when playing with a friend. Otherwise, no uprisings, so I can't really remember the details, but I'll try to grab the prize, as long as you promise to give me access to the PtW beta .

Quote:
hey, I'd probably get fired if I started posting in the CtP forums. Well, maybe not, but I would certainly get some funny looks around here.
Is that not what we all want?
Old July 5, 2002, 21:16   #36
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:42
Uprisings
A wild guess: when destroyed barbarian tribes are unable to respawn?

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; July 5, 2002 at 22:11.
Old July 6, 2002, 07:10   #37
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

General, clearly no, since they come from tribe huts. Hm, Soren says historical context.

Maybe it's if a Civ has a Barbarian tribe nearby that has really attacked that Civ in history?
Old July 6, 2002, 11:07   #38
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:42
Quote:
Originally posted by cyberhunne
Re barb uprisings: maybe when a certian percentage of the world is "colonized", uprisings occur similar to the "tribes movement" or whatever that´s called in English when loads of germanic tribes invaded Rome etc?
Sacking, perhaps.
Old July 6, 2002, 14:39   #39
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:42
Hmmm. Well, both Egypt and Greece had 'barbarian' problems long before Rome rose to prominence.

I see them in most every game. I'd say it's just timed somewhat randomly to occur at a certain point in the game that roughly corresponds with the Hyksos or Celtic incursions.

/Edited to remove offending musing.

Last edited by notyoueither; July 6, 2002 at 15:17.
Old July 6, 2002, 14:47   #40
Solver
lifer
Deity

It's not random, nye, there's a defined trigger, Soren says.

Maybe it happens roughly at the time when the civ you are playing really had barbarian invasions - so Rome was overrun by barbarians in 5th century, so if you play Rome, you will get an uprising in 5th Century?
Old July 6, 2002, 15:06   #41
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:42
Re: Re: The Best of the Best
Quote:

I'm afraid this terminology is somewhat confusing. If you want to make the game easier for the AI (and thus harder for you), change the editor setting to Chieftain, not Deity. Think of it as what difficulty level the AI picks to play at. It only affects things like combat barbarian bonuses, goody hut probabilities, and free content citizens. It does NOT affect the AI production bonuses in any way.

btw, if you want a killer AI, have you considered lowering the production bonus below 6 (the Deity level)? Has anyone tried it at 1?
hi ,

Theseus , its not nice to quote things that are never been said >"maybe start with emperor AI on a monarch game" , .....

Soren ; what is been said , is the following ;
when playing on "deity" put the level of the AI in the editor also on "deity" , ...
why , well because the AI gets all kind of extra cheap stuff , so far so good .

and yes its nice to lower the cost factor

now the default level is regent , when you put this to deity there are some important changes , and Soren can second this (!) ;

the number of citizens born content - 1
attack bonus against barbarians - 0
percentage of optimal cities - 70

with so few happy people the AI seems to gout more , so he can get resources that makes his people happy .
and the AI builds more buildings that make his people happy

the attack bonus is hard , but it leads to more elite units . a nice thing to do is also to make the basic barbarian a rifleman , the advanced one infantry and their sea unit a destroyer , .....

the percentage of optimal cities leads to higher corruption and waste when above it , so the AI starts to build more courthouses , more policestations , ...

this is only a personal preference and all the info should be read , these are just some things to make it harder in the game , ....

and yes while we are at it , for the people who dont believe it , you can let a civ start with up-to 25 units of a type , ...again Soren can second this .

what is also important is to give some , or even all the AI civ's ALL (!) the civ specific abilities , to make it easier for the AI .

Soren when you are in europe , free beer and food

Soren any other tips and tricks as to how increase the "level" , .....

have a nice day

Last edited by panag; July 6, 2002 at 15:16.
Old July 6, 2002, 15:20   #42
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The better bet would be that they occur once a certain percentage of the map is settled. Population pressures are usually what caused the migrations that are viewed as barbarian invasions.
Old July 6, 2002, 18:51   #43
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Methinks it may be a certain tech, but that's just a wild guess.
Old July 6, 2002, 21:10   #44
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Local Time: 22:42
Anyone ever seen hordes of horsemen, before horseback riding? Or barbarian sea vessels pre-maps?

Also, I don't think it'd make much sense to have barbarian uprisings at "times the civs really had them." I can't think of a barbarian uprising that the Germans had (heck, if you want to go back far enough, they WERE the barbarians ), and I'm sure people who've played as America have seen plenty before the 1600s, before anything resembling 'America' had even been settled.

I'm guessing it's either population, tech, war/anarchy, or timed.
Old July 6, 2002, 21:56   #45
De Gaulle
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:42
I have never posted before in this forum, although I have been a regular reader, but I could not resist the temptation of trying to answer Soren's challenge... ;-)

I was just playing a game as the Chinese and 25 horsemen showed up at my doorstep soon after I had switched to Republic.
My personal guess is that government changes are the trigger for the barbarian uprisings.
Philosophically it would make sense (at least in my own little world... ;-) ) since barbarians would be (have been in history) drawn to attack higher forms of civilization. And the word "barbarian" was coined in the written records of the civilizations which survived these uprisings, right?

Additionally, I think it would coincide nicely with the timeline of Theseus and the observation that these uprisings seemed to occur concurrently for other civs as well (exchange of techs/simultaneous government switches).
My 0.02 euro... ;-)

Soren: I LOVE YOUR GAME, please don't be affected by the Coracles of the world.

" Oui, c’est l’Europe, depuis l’Atlantique jusqu'à l’Oural, c’est l’Europe, c’est toute l’Europe, qui décidera du destin du monde ! "
De Gaulle, Strasbourg, novembre 1959.
Old July 6, 2002, 22:02   #46
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:42
Quote:
And the word "barbarian" was coined in the written records of the civilizations which survived these uprisings, right?
It was the Roman word for foreigner.
Old July 6, 2002, 22:23   #47
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Local Time: 22:42
Quote:
Originally posted by De Gaulle
I have never posted before in this forum, although I have been a regular reader, but I could not resist the temptation of trying to answer Soren's challenge... ;-)

I was just playing a game as the Chinese and 25 horsemen showed up at my doorstep soon after I had switched to Republic.
My personal guess is that government changes are the trigger for the barbarian uprisings.
Philosophically it would make sense (at least in my own little world... ;-) ) since barbarians would be (have been in history) drawn to attack higher forms of civilization. And the word "barbarian" was coined in the written records of the civilizations which survived these uprisings, right?

Additionally, I think it would coincide nicely with the timeline of Theseus and the observation that these uprisings seemed to occur concurrently for other civs as well (exchange of techs/simultaneous government switches).
My 0.02 euro... ;-)

Soren: I LOVE YOUR GAME, please don't be affected by the Coracles of the world.
well, this is probably the closest theory yet posted... it's does not involve governments though. That would be an indirect link...
Old July 6, 2002, 22:43   #48
De Gaulle
Chieftain

Merci Soren...
"it does not involve governments though. That would be an indirect link..."
If governments are an indirect link, could the trigger be resource-based then?
By that I mean an uprising would occur if:
a) a barbarian encampment still exists nearby
b) your GNP has reached a set value, making your civ an attractive target for plundering.
The indirect link with government switch would be that in most cases your GNP will increase markedly upon switching governments and therefore reach the triggering value...

Going in the right direction or totally off?

" Oui, c’est l’Europe, depuis l’Atlantique jusqu'à l’Oural, c’est l’Europe, c’est toute l’Europe, qui décidera du destin du monde ! "
Old July 7, 2002, 00:21   #49
notyoueither
Deity

Anybody ever had 3 or 4 stacks pop up at once? That's not nice. Man! Not nice.

Anyways...

Global Historical Terms

does not involve governments though. That would be an indirect link

Advances, except Trip said that...

Percentage of map settled ain't it either...

What's left that's global?

Total population?

Total forces in the field? Yup, that's my next bet. Can't have barbs running willy nilly before the civs can at least put up a semblance of defence.

Except mine of course... I usually just evacuate the target town, spend as much gold as possible prior to it (or them) being hit, and then reoccupy the town(s) after the barbs go away. They almost always seem to catch me in the REX stage.
Old July 7, 2002, 00:47   #50
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Quote:

well, this is probably the closest theory yet posted... it's does not involve governments though. That would be an indirect link...
At least X number of civs in anarchy (undergoing government switches) -- those crafty barbarians wait for the "civilized" to go into disorder before striking?

[X would either be a set value or a variable dependent on number of civs playing].

Catt
Old July 7, 2002, 00:57   #51
De Gaulle
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Total forces in the field? Yup, that's my next bet. Can't have barbs running willy nilly before the civs can at least put up a semblance of defence.

Except mine of course... I usually just evacuate the target town, spend as much gold as possible prior to it (or them) being hit, and then reoccupy the town(s) after the barbs go away. They almost always seem to catch me in the REX stage.
Interesting idea.
Off topic: I use a similar strategy when threatened by huge stacks of barbarian horsemen. But somehow it feels a bit like an exploit... The first time I used it to save money and redeploy my troops to a town that I could at least hope to save. But Poof! They pillaged 5 gold and then all disappeared. Very surprising... For the interest of the game I think I would have actually "liked" to see them target the remaining cities until they all died fighting...
Every other time they would wipe me out of course...

Old July 7, 2002, 01:56   #52
notyoueither
Deity

They will also destroy any improvements, production in the works and carry off the citizens to slavery. Hey, better than costing me the garrison in a forlorn hope. Sometimes.
Old July 7, 2002, 05:25   #53
De Gaulle
Chieftain

They destroy improvements? I hadn't noticed this; Probably because I didn't have any in these outlying towns...
You are right about saving the garrison, especially since they don't raze the town. A little strategy like this one is probably one of the multiple places where the human player has an advantage over the AI. Just by tweaking the system in a way that was probably not expected, we get to save the cost of the settler, of the garrison and of the plundering of our treasury while the AI pays for it cash.

However, in my current game I pretty much had to ship my entire treasury to Elisabeth for a few techs... Everything considered, this barbarian uprising might come back to haunt me again in a few turns...

Old July 7, 2002, 07:39   #54
Solver
lifer
Deity

Hmm, Soren, is you say that government theory is "the closest" one, it must really be somehow related with you being a tasty target. Certain level achieved, like Republic, x GNP and y population, or Monarchy, y GNP and x population... nah really confused.

I'm eager to see the right answer because I've seen the uprisings so rarely, must be a reason behind it...
Old July 7, 2002, 11:47   #55
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

What about a percentage of the world population in disorder? That can happen when switching govs, but is an indirect link...

DeepO
Old July 7, 2002, 11:54   #56
Solver
lifer
Deity

I've just had an uprising! And, no clue why... I didn't do anything special, and my culture was 222 points then... not culture related.
Old July 7, 2002, 15:26   #57
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Barbarian Plundering
Have you noticed how, individually, barbarians plunder little gold when they enter your now-defenseless town? It is only when they enter it in hordes that they are a signficant financial threat, as each unit plunders a few gold (times 10 or 20?).
Old July 7, 2002, 15:37   #58
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I noticed it diminishes over time, first barbarians run away with 90+ gold, while it diminishes steadily till 10 gold or so. No difference between uprisings and individual, though (at least not in my games)

DeepO
Old July 7, 2002, 15:48   #59
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DeepO
I noticed it diminishes over time, first barbarians run away with 90+ gold, while it diminishes steadily till 10 gold or so. No difference between uprisings and individual, though (at least not in my games)

DeepO
hi ,

it depends also on the amount of gold you have , ...

have a nice day
Old July 8, 2002, 10:31   #60
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Rehashing alexman's comment, the AI doesn't seem to build MA much at all and keeps calvary around to 2050. Spent about 20 minutes watching Japan send seemingly hundreds of calvary to their death against a stack of MA yesterday. Japan had had synthetic fibers forever, but no MA, just MI.