Old July 10, 2002, 08:21   #121
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 06:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
DeepO, I think only one uprising can happen in a game, for Soren says it's triggered by a second time something happens - and there can only be one second time.
Old July 10, 2002, 08:31   #122
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:42
Solver, that's what I want to know. It is possible that certain things happen twice multiple times , one example being the transition to a new age (I know that's not the trigger, but it is an example). If so, you could have 3 uprisings in a game, but would most likely only see one or two of them, as by the time you go from Industrial to modern no camps are present anymore.

DeepO
Old July 10, 2002, 08:33   #123
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

If a second change of ages would be the trigger, it would also only happen once .
Old July 10, 2002, 08:57   #124
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:42
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
The better bet would be that they occur once a certain percentage of the map is settled. Population pressures are usually what caused the migrations that are viewed as barbarian invasions.
Or when the land available for barbarians is reduced to a certain amount due to settlement, as you said, but also to fortress, pickets and patrols.
Old July 10, 2002, 09:08   #125
Meldor
Settler

Local Time: 21:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
IIRC, I had a game in which there were two different barb uprisings, but I think it was on the 1.16 patch. They both occured within a short period of each other. I have seen barb camps very late in a coquest game, but don't remember any uprisings past the 500 AD time frame. Could be the second civ to reach a certain level of culture. Or the second civ to reach Fuedalism or some other trigger tech.
Old July 10, 2002, 09:12   #126
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Uprisings are generated by a pressure of a growing population outside the civilization, when the density of the population inside suddenly decreases, due to an enlargement of the cultural border. Therefore, the trigger should be a cultural level increase.
Or could be ...
Old July 10, 2002, 09:26   #127
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meldor
Or the second civ to reach Fuedalism or some other trigger tech.
Perhaps the 2nd civ entering the medieval age?
Old July 10, 2002, 09:30   #128
Solver
lifer
Deity

Doesn't sound like it... all civs usually enter the age at about the same time, do you always have uprising at that time?
Old July 10, 2002, 11:54   #129
cyberhunne
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Perhaps the 2nd civ entering the medieval age?
Or maybe the 2nd civ to enter a golden age triggers it?
Old July 10, 2002, 12:14   #130
Solver
lifer
Deity

2nd GA? That sounds quite possible... figure then, in a game with Aztecs, Babylon and the Zulu, uprsings would be granted to occur early.

And that's what I have in my current game: a pretty early uprising, but there's Egypt, Babylon , Zulu and Aztec...
Old July 10, 2002, 21:12   #131
Soren Johnson
PtWDG Gathering StormC4WDG The GooniesC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 ParticipantsApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Civilization IV Lead Designer

Local Time: 22:42
ok, enough with the suspense!

barbarian uprisings are triggered the second time a civ enters a new age. (once for the middle ages, once for the industrial age, once for the modern age...) The intention was to basically simulate the barbarian hordes that knocked out Rome and (to a lesser degree) the Mongols. This made a little more sense back when barbarians were more destructive, but having half your civ knocked out for seemingly random reasons was deemed not much fun. Instead, we flipped the concept around and gave a temporal bonus (the Golden Age) instead of a temporal penalty.

I think DeepO gets the award for being the first to mention it...
Old July 10, 2002, 22:11   #132
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Haha! I was... wrong.

Congrats to DeepO and Sir Ralph. ::mutter, mutter::

Thanks for the test Soren. 'twould be cool if we could do it again some time.
Old July 10, 2002, 22:39   #133
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis

Belgium 1 - rest of the world 0
Old July 10, 2002, 23:54   #134
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I'm a little confused...

The second time any civ enters a second age? Meaning, I as the human do it, and then an AI civ does it?

Or the second time, period, that one of the civs in the game, human included, does it?

I like the principle.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 11, 2002, 05:05   #135
Solver
lifer
Deity

Thanks Soren for providing us with the guessing. Can you please do another one ?

Hmm, if I ever get an uprising in the Modern Age, I'll tell you .
Old July 11, 2002, 07:49   #136
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Thanks Soren! Being the first was not that difficult, I must have mentioned about 100 other ideas as well

A great question, I hope you'll repeat this with some other hidden mechanic soon!

DeepO
Old July 11, 2002, 07:51   #137
DeepO
Emperor

Edit: corrected a stupid mistake. I see Soren says that multiple risings can occur, so there is no need to pose that question again... sorry

DeepO

Last edited by DeepO; July 11, 2002 at 07:57.
Old July 11, 2002, 08:34   #138
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 14:42

Well done DeepO.
And thanks for the info Soren
Old July 11, 2002, 11:33   #139
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I'm a little confused...

The second time any civ enters a second age? Meaning, I as the human do it, and then an AI civ does it?

or....
That is what I made of it.
Old July 11, 2002, 11:38   #140
dawidge
Warlord

Remember that the human player doesn't even have to be involved. It's the second time *any* civ enters a second age. Two AI's can get to medieval times and leave you fending off barbarian hordes.
Old July 11, 2002, 11:44   #141
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 23:42
Some questions
Do massive uprisings happen from many barbarian camps simultaneously, or from just one? If just from one, is it randomly chosen, or is is close to the civ that triggered the event?

What happens if there are no barbarian camps on the map when the second civ enters a new age? Do some get created?
Old July 11, 2002, 12:06   #142
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I think, without being sure, that every existing barbarian camp spawns horseman stacks. Depending on barb level, either 8 (roaming), or 16 (restless), or 24 (raging). If there's no camp, there's no uprising. This is most likely be the case, when the 2nd civ strike the industrial age. I only once have seen such a late uprising, IIRC it was in the CFC GOTM6, after I razed the whole China to avoid domination and the barb camps returned.
Old July 11, 2002, 12:07   #143
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I'm a little confused...

Or the second time, period, that one of the civs in the game, human included, does it?

I like the principle.
This is not what he said.

Quote:
barbarian uprisings are triggered the second time a civ enters a new age. (once for the middle ages, once for the industrial age, once for the modern age...)
This is what Soren said. The major difference is only one use of the word second.

By this, it would indicate any time a civ meets the condition, any civ since he didn't limit it to players, an uprising occurs. Also, there could be one again at industrial, and again at modern, if there are still camps around.
Old July 11, 2002, 14:30   #144
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 20:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
I think, without being sure, that every existing barbarian camp spawns horseman stacks. Depending on barb level, either 8 (roaming), or 16 (restless), or 24 (raging). If there's no camp, there's no uprising. This is most likely be the case, when the 2nd civ strike the industrial age. I only once have seen such a late uprising, IIRC it was in the CFC GOTM6, after I razed the whole China to avoid domination and the barb camps returned.
A poster named cracker (at another forum site) lives up to his name - he has methodically and intelligently "cracked" various aspects of the game and reported some of his findings to the community at large (always very accurate and intelligent posts).

As a tangential thought to another point he was making (I forget the main point) he indicated that, just as Sir Ralph says, every exisitng barbarian camp worldwide rises up on the same turn.

BTW, in minitourney III, I got the "uprising" notice which referenced an uprising near my northeastern-most city. However, I could see a barbarian camp near my southeastern-most city, near my broder with the very few (respawned) Japanese cities. I evacuated a few workers and units from the open fields in the southeast to a nearby city behind a river and withstood the barbarian stack with only a few units lost and the rest promoted to elite. I never saw any barbarians in the northeast, and can only assume that Cleo took the brunt of that uprising. So I know for certain that at least multiple camps (if not all) rise up at the same time.

Catt
Old July 11, 2002, 15:32   #145
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 03:42
In my iroqouis empire game, a hostile barbarian camp uprised, with 16 horsemen!
The tactic I used to get rid of them was to lead them to my undefended city, where they ransacked it and then dissapeared. Spend all your money somewhere else or the barbarians will take it.. or if you don't want to lose your production in the city keep about 120 gold and the barbarians will take the gold destroy your city production.
I suppose having the great wall would be useful against such uprisings with the barbarian defence.
Old July 11, 2002, 15:47   #146
DeepO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ
I suppose having the great wall would be useful against such uprisings with the barbarian defence.
If you have walls in the first place, that is. But with normal walls, there's a big chance one defending spearman will win anyhow. No need for the Great wall... but that's no news

DeepO
Old July 11, 2002, 17:02   #147
player1
Emperor

Quote:
ok, enough with the suspense!

barbarian uprisings are triggered the second time a civ enters a new age. (once for the middle ages, once for the industrial age, once for the modern age...) The intention was to basically simulate the barbarian hordes that knocked out Rome and (to a lesser degree) the Mongols. This made a little more sense back when barbarians were more destructive, but having half your civ knocked out for seemingly random reasons was deemed not much fun. Instead, we flipped the concept around and gave a temporal bonus (the Golden Age) instead of a temporal penalty.

Soren,
One idea for patch (or maybe for PTW if it's too much).

What about more variety in barbarian uprisings.
Warriors and Horsemen are fine in ancient and middle ages, but having them later is a little bit ridiculs.

Also, later ages "barbarian hordes" never happen since all territory is already sttled.

So maybe making them assault from ships (like in Civ2) for entering in industrial era (PIRATES!)

And for modern era, just make them assualt near your weaker cities (REBELLION, GERRILA, REVOLUTION!).

These effect should not be too much powerfull, but still siginificat to promote better defense of your cities.

As you said, having super horde appering random is not too much fun.

And you can make it as an option in starting game screen too (if somebody preferes more tamed World).
Old July 11, 2002, 18:02   #148
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 20:42
Ah, I get it now!
The 2nd civ to enter Middle Ages triggers uprisings.
The 2nd civ to enter Industrial Ages triggers uprisings.

Of course, there has to be at least ONE(?) barbarian encampment in existence.

JB,
President of the Equal Combat Rights to Barbarians Society*
(see Editor: Difficulty Levels tab:Attack Bonus Against Barbarians)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 11, 2002, 21:12   #149
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

I have seen as many as 3 encampments spawn the uprisings at once, so I know they're simultaneious. It's more of a pain when you've got your swordsmen next to th camp to disperse it and the camp rises up. All you can do is Fortify your swordsmen and hope they take out enough of the Horsemen before they die to reduce the threat.

If you really want the barbarian expeience, play on Raging and reduce the barbarian bonuses for all difficulty levels by half. Barbs are challenging then. I also tried changing the basic barbarian to Archer but that made them just a tad mean against my poor exploring Warriors. The Barbarian sea unit in my mod is the Privateer - it's perfect with the hidden nationality.

For REALLY mean barbarians, make the basic Barbarian Archers or even Swordsmen, and the advanced barbarain Knights. Recommended only for the most masochistic if combined with reduced bonuses!

Interesting thing to do with Barbarians: Go into the editor, and tweak the units that the Barbarians can build. This list governs what you can get out of goodie huts. I added Archer to the basic list, and now I can pop an Archer out of a hut occasionally instead of a Warrior. Other units that are good to add are any unit that can be built when the seven basic techs are researched, such as Spearmen and Chariots. Don't add Settlers or more advanced units to the list because this unbalances the game.
Old July 11, 2002, 21:41   #150
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
Soren,
One idea for patch (or maybe for PTW if it's too much).

What about more variety in barbarian uprisings.
Warriors and Horsemen are fine in ancient and middle ages, but having them later is a little bit ridiculs.

Also, later ages "barbarian hordes" never happen since all territory is already sttled.

So maybe making them assault from ships (like in Civ2) for entering in industrial era (PIRATES!)

And for modern era, just make them assualt near your weaker cities (REBELLION, GERRILA, REVOLUTION!).

These effect should not be too much powerfull, but still siginificat to promote better defense of your cities.

As you said, having super horde appering random is not too much fun.

And you can make it as an option in starting game screen too (if somebody preferes more tamed World).
Yes! I've also suggested stuff like this in another thread.

How about "small uprisings" from encampments that are spawned randomly. This is where the encampment produces a few units at the same time instead of just one. The number of units would be about 2 to 5, depending on the Barbarian setting, and would happen about every 4th time the encampment spawns units.

You could also have "large uprisings" with a number of units equal to half the number for "massive uprisings", and these would be spawned if the encampment has remained for a while, say 30 or 40 turns.

As for barbarians in late ages, it's not usual to get land-based encampments after the middle ages, but these can be spawned from time to time if a civ has gone on a raze-fest and there's suddenly a large contiguous area of the map that's free of cities. For these to spawn Horsemen in the Infantry age is silly - give the barbs teeth!

My idea for controlling the units that Barbarians can produce is to make more extensive use of the Build options for barbarians instead of having just three units in the general settings. Barbarian encampments would produce the most advanced unit on the list that any civ can produce. Goodie huts would also work a little differently. They would only pop a unit on the list that any civ can already produce. For example, they would only pop a Swordsmen if any civ has Iron Working and Swordsmen are in the list. The list would work by tech and not units, so if the Persians are the only civ with Iron Working, the huts can still pop Swordsmen.

Finally, barbs should spawn at sea in the Fog of War like they did in CIV2. It would make Privateers more interesting if the Barbs could spawn them at sea at any time.