Old July 4, 2002, 21:45   #1
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 22:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Applications for ambassadors
As my relationship with my PC is a long distance one at the moment, I am aware that ambassadors can be a very good addition to my office.

I have seen Spiffor and Timeline's
threads. While I agree with the current majority of Timeline's poll (that the idea needs refinement... and to a lesser extent that the Foreign Minister should be the head of his own affairs (Inside note... why in damnations would the President have any control of my own democractically elected office? That sounds like the most rediculous thing ive heard in the past week (ive been on a PC for 10 minutes total of that week.. but thats irrelevant )))

I got carried away there.

Basically... I want a list of people who would be willing to be AMBASSADORS

My CURRENT idea of an ambassador would be exactly what Spiffors new tech trade thread is. A person who can list to me exactly what possible trades with a few appointed civs might look like. But, like I said, this institution needs refinement.

Please, anyone interested, just post saying so.

IF i am left in charge with choosing who is my ambassadors, my CURRENT idea is to have them elected as democratically as current ministers are... however, I doubt most ambassadors would have to compete too heavily for their job, and I would presume I would be left in power over which civs each ambassador would relate to.

Thankyou, and please reply with patience. I MIGHT have my PC as early as tommorow, or as late as next week.
Old July 4, 2002, 22:02   #2
Timeline
King

Dont worry Ninot, the DIA can supply you with as many Ambassadors as you need.

JOKE!
Old July 4, 2002, 22:16   #3
LordImpact
Warlord

I would like to volunteer my services as an ambassador. But what would happen if the civilization I am attached to is destroyed? Would I lose status as an ambassador entirely or would I be put back on the list for when we discover a new civ?
Old July 4, 2002, 22:44   #4
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by LordImpact
But what would happen if the civilization I am attached to is destroyed? Would I lose status as an ambassador entirely or would I be put back on the list for when we discover a new civ?
I'm assuming they'd have taken you hostage as our armies approached their capital, and pulled out your tongue and various other appendages by the time we reached you.
Still, the job is yours, if you're still interested.
Old July 4, 2002, 22:50   #5
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

I have not been around long enough (>30 minutes) to be an ambassador, but there is a good chance that we will not have contact with some civilizations for a very long time. I will be able and willing when the time comes.

I am not entirely certain what would be entailed in the duties of an ambassador in this game, but I think they would be good for splitting up the duties of espionage-- that is, all evaluations of a given rival empire, or simply restrict it to the positive (non-military) aspects such as trade and possible diplomatic agreements.

I'm really looking forward to be a part of this, the multiplayer single player game in the world.
Old July 4, 2002, 22:56   #6
LordImpact
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Robber Baron

I'm assuming they'd have taken you hostage as our armies approached their capital, and pulled out your tongue and various other appendages by the time we reached you.
Still, the job is yours, if you're still interested.
!!!
that sounds kinda... erotic?
I guess theres no diplomatic immunity in this game...
Old July 4, 2002, 23:03   #7
Random Entity
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:48
I'll apply for an ambassador job; or, if all current positions are filled, you can put me on the "waiting list" for when new civilizations are discovered.

[Edited with further questions]
So, just to clarify, you would only need reports on trade possibilities? Or should we report on other aspects (such as known military/troop movements, any increases in population, etc...)? I suppose I'll know if I become an ambassador or not, all in due time. The office(s) will probably become more refined as time passes.

Last edited by Random Entity; July 4, 2002 at 23:08.
Old July 4, 2002, 23:27   #8
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Local Time: 03:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
COuld you put me on a list for "ambassadors for the nations on the other continent", since by then I'll know the ropes? Or are we playing a Pangea map?
Old July 4, 2002, 23:31   #9
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Darkworld Ark
COuld you put me on a list for "ambassadors for the nations on the other continent", since by then I'll know the ropes? Or are we playing a Pangea map?
Random map, so we don't really know. Doubtful it's a island map though.
Old July 4, 2002, 23:40   #10
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

Random map, so we don't really know. Doubtful it's a island map though.
Well, if there's another continent that we need astronomy or magnitism/navigation to get to, I call dibs on being it's ambassador!
Old July 5, 2002, 00:55   #11
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Just curious, but why do you want an overseas civ? So you can bully them around and not have to worry about them attacking us for 1000 years?
Old July 5, 2002, 00:58   #12
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Just curious, but why do you want an overseas civ? So you can bully them around and not have to worry about them attacking us for 1000 years?
Not really, just that'll be a good amount of time until we discover them, so by then I'll 'know the ropes'

Last edited by Darkworld Ark; July 5, 2002 at 01:04.
Old July 5, 2002, 02:30   #13
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 19:48
If you want me Ninot, I'm willing to be an ambassador.

Last edited by Duddha; July 5, 2002 at 02:55.
Old July 5, 2002, 08:51   #14
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Duddha
If you want me Ninot, I'm willing to be an ambassador.
me too
Old July 5, 2002, 09:54   #15
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Don't anyone get upset, but did the amendment pass allowing ambassadors?

I was for it, myself, but for ALL ministers. Just curious. This could be an unofficial post easily enough as well.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 5, 2002, 10:07   #16
jdd2007
NationStates
King

IF WE END UP HAVING THIS POSITION

I would like to apply for an ambassadorship. I plan on running for office next term, and being an ambassador would give me experience in holding a position. As soon as we have an embassy in Washington or Paris, I would like to become the official contact of Apolytonia.
Old July 5, 2002, 10:35   #17
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Oh, sure, now he's not going to pick you.

Why would he give experience to a future competitor?

JK

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 5, 2002, 12:37   #18
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 15:48
i might consider a ambassadorial role but prefably with a civilization yet to be discovered asnd not destined for the slaughterhouse and I need a clearly defined role
Old July 5, 2002, 12:56   #19
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

I cannot commit to being present in turn chats due to my work schedule, but would happily represent our fair nation to whomever you would like to send me to.

I bet I could even keep my warmongering tendencies aside long enough to have a civilized conversation with one of our enem..., er, uh, I mean, friendly neighbors.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 5, 2002, 17:39   #20
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 05:48
If there is room for me, then I would really like to bee an ambassador for any nation that you see fit...
Your method equals wipe out
Old July 5, 2002, 17:43   #21
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Soon, I shall run for FAM. If elected, I will make sure that we have ambassadors, and that we will work together. If I win, I will make even a position of Senior Ambassador, or Director of State Affairs or something, that is in charge of ambassadors. This goes along with the idea of having departments led by the minister. Sn00py, should I win, will be offered this position first.
Old July 5, 2002, 18:03   #22
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 04:48
Why elect ambassadors ? They have no decision power. Nobody cares who they are, or which political party they belong to. They will only be your extended arm. And useful in such an aspect. Just hire some!

I encourage people who regularily downloads the .sav file to apply, although I am kinda busy doing other things... (sorry)
Old July 5, 2002, 18:08   #23
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 04:48
Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
Soon, I shall run for FAM. If elected, I will make sure that we have ambassadors, and that we will work together. If I win, I will make even a position of Senior Ambassador, or Director of State Affairs or something, that is in charge of ambassadors. This goes along with the idea of having departments led by the minister. Sn00py, should I win, will be offered this position first.

Dream on, compadre...
Some cultural freaks from the DIA will ruin such a complex bueracracy, when they win.

Anyway, what would this Director do?
Old July 5, 2002, 18:50   #24
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

I have an idea on how to pick ambassador's. Since its an apointment and not a vote, each prespective amdassador could write up a sample report of one of the current nations, with every detail they feel important. This could be evaluated by the minister, and they'd pick their favorite choices. They'd be assigned to a nation by the minister. If it is felt another nation is more important (and there aren't enough recruits), they can be withdrawn from that nation and sent to another.

hey hey
Old July 5, 2002, 21:16   #25
Ninot
Emperor

As I have said, I am for the Foreign Minister deciding on his ambassadors, not by other ministers who have better things to do.

I would have the Minister deciding as he wishes, and just putting people to work without discretion. But if there are TOO many applicants, then I would have the FM choose by his lonesom, or have EVERYONE vote, or have MInisters only vote. But I doubt there will be too many applicants.
Old July 5, 2002, 21:39   #26
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rendelnep
i might consider a ambassadorial role but prefably with a civilization yet to be discovered asnd not destined for the slaughterhouse and I need a clearly defined role
The end goal for many is that all civs suffer that fate.
Old July 5, 2002, 23:09   #27
jdd2007
NationStates
King

hopefully they will, if the right people get elected...
Old July 5, 2002, 23:18   #28
LordImpact
Warlord

spoken like a true warhawk!
Well it looks like quite a few people have volunteered for this post, close to 15 i think. Provided noone else applies, there should be no real competition. If Ninot picks his ambassadors before the election, will you replace them jdd and sn00py? And if he doesnt, will you take this list of volunteers into consideration when you chose ambassadors? What exactly would be the term limit of the ambassadors anyway? Would each new FM choose new ambassadors?
Old July 5, 2002, 23:23   #29
jdd2007
NationStates
King

i dont think Ninot will pick any, but if he does, i will trust him with the positions. if he doesnt, i will definitely take the list into consideration.

the ambassadors should be able to keep their positions next term as long as there is not any competion for the position and they have all done their duties well.
Old July 5, 2002, 23:39   #30
Ninot
Emperor

I doubt I would pick any ministers as well.

But I wanna get this institution going the right way atleast. I would HATE to be the Foreign Minister if my predeccesor left me with nothing much to use and too much to do.