Old July 12, 2002, 17:10   #31
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 21:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Anyway, I am leaving now, and I shall return hopefully by the end of the month. Then we shall see the opening of the Peacekeeper plot. So, I'll READ you all later!
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2002, 18:34   #32
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 06:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Guess who sat around all day today, not writing anything and learning that he has no idea how to play Final Fantasy? Come on, I'll give you three guesses.
You're beginning to learn, young one. Worry not - the oldest one I've played for over an hour is FF IV. Killing oneself with an axe is quite an accomplishment... then again, so is slashing your party to pieces with an Ultima Weapon, or mincing them to mash by casting Meteo on them.

Hacking my way through FFVIII for the second time... the Junction system is both fooking boring and can give you a very unfair advantage (thus adding to the general level of boredom). But, ah, the Gardens battling... and of course the ladies.

I feel filthy. I finished the fanfic. I've always had and still have deep resentment against using other people's characters (that's why I prefer not using Zak & Co in my SMACfics - they don't thus count us fullblood fanfics).

Nothing personal against such writers, I just don't like the art (and some can do it with style, like we can witness here at AC-Fiction).

But I did have relatively fun time, sliding in inside jokes and whatnot.

I love deadlines. Especially the sound they make when they swoosh by.

-- Douglas Adams
Old July 13, 2002, 21:47   #33
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

http://daloop.sjr.fi/squareinfo/forums/

Old July 13, 2002, 22:04   #34
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Hmmm. I'd use a moderator or two to run things there. Anyone of you willing for the job? It'll be slow now and the work would be minimal. Since we're going English, we'd use someone who talks the language as his/her mother tongue.
Old July 15, 2002, 12:38   #35
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 22:49
I agree with you Kass about using other people's characters. It's difficult to pull of because each of us has a different idea about how they should think and act. That's why it's best to be vague about main characters like that or use lesser characters and build from there. But, it can be fun to see different spins on a character.

Just to list some PK planets for those of you out there.

Chiron(Location of The PK's capital)
Coventry(Planet near the Spartan border that was attacked and breifly occupied by Sparta)
Haven(large population of PKs)
Sabine(Planet inside PK space that was settled and then abandoned because of extreme native lifeforms)

Of course if anyone comes in and takes them over they can develope all of this further. You can use these locations for your stories if you like. If you get specific, please let me know so I can keep up with it for whoever takes them over in the future.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2002, 06:31   #36
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 13:49
Quote:
I'd use a moderator or two to run things there. Anyone of you willing for the job?

I'd like to give it a shot, if you'll have me. I'm registering over there even as I speak. I'm very new to the Final Fantasy series, though (I'm about halfway through number II / IV). I hope that wouldn't be a problem?

Quote:
Just to list some PK planets for those of you out there.
Hmmm . . . that gives me an evil idea.

/me activates Evil Accessories
Old July 16, 2002, 06:45   #37
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Quote:
You're beginning to learn, young one. Worry not - the oldest one I've played for over an hour is FF IV. Killing oneself with an axe is quite an accomplishment... then again, so is slashing your party to pieces with an Ultima Weapon, or mincing them to mash by casting Meteo on them.
That was before I learned how to target my attacks properly. It really annoys me when you encounter a couple of different types of monster in one party (which happens surprisingly often in FF II / IV). I came across a party of two Skeletons and an Ogre. You can use Cure, a healing spell, as an attack against Skeletons, so, silly me, I ordered the mage to cast the spell on all the enemies. Forgetting, of course, that while Cure is deadly to Skeletons, it acts as a healing spell on Ogres. I got pounded pretty good in that battle.
Old July 16, 2002, 07:23   #38
Kassiopeia
Emperor

I wonder if you're playing FFIV or the easy version of FFIV (since there is one), if the latter, then... Be very, very afraid.
Have you ever heard of 'levelling up'? It's a pain but at least in FFIV once you get the airship it's essential.

Edit: Mr. President, read your PMs on SSI.

Can you use IRC?

Last edited by Kassiopeia; July 16, 2002 at 07:42.
Kassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2002, 15:16   #39
Sovereign
Prince

easy and hard version of FF4? I'm not aware of that.

Are you referring to the original FF4 for the SNES, and the FF4 / Chrono Trigger disc for the PSX?

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2002, 16:17   #40
Kassiopeia
Emperor

As far as I know, for the American markets the FFIV was made more easy (and renamed FFII) because Square was sure that it was too difficult for the American players, the bosses HP was cut down etc.
Old July 16, 2002, 16:38   #41
Sovereign
Prince

I played FF4 for a while last fall, mainly out of nostalgia. I think I'll have another go at it maybe later this week.

One thing that really drives me up the wall is the pink tails. I used like over 60 "alert's" (I stole like 130 from the Babil Giant) in that pink puff room, and I tried for days with tons of reloads... not even one pink tail.

One thing puzzles me. You know the Babil Giant Robot? I don't get it, how does it just poof? I mean, its so big, there should be some kind of "ruins" or something to mark its passing. In the game, its as if it poofed into thin air.

Then again, I'm getting all analyztical and logical... Hmph! Maybe I've become Prokhor Zakharov after all!

Old July 16, 2002, 17:11   #42
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Yeah... I mean in FFVII when Ulty crashes, it crashes...

Quote:
Final Fantasy IV, originally known as Final Fantasy II for its US SNES outing, has been brought out in CD form with extra introduction and ending CG sequences in Japan both separately and as part of the Final Fantasy Collection, which contained episodes IV-VI of the saga. When the US version of the Collection, Anthology, was released without FF IV, gamers were outraged, but now all may be forgiven as it transpires that the version of FF IV to be included in Chronicles will be a re-translated edition of the original Japanese FF IV, which has never been seen outside Japan, rather than the watered-down "easy type" FF IV which was released as FF II for the US SNES.
http://www.ffwa.org/news/25-04-2001.html

Old July 16, 2002, 18:14   #43
Sovereign
Prince

Ahhhh!

So it turns out I had the hard version the whole time! I have that Chronicles CD, with FF4 and Chrono Trigger.

Ulty, eh? That bastard should be in his own comedy stand up act, with all his funny antics I love when he goes nuts after failing to accomplish his stuff (namely killing my dudes off) That rascally Octopus!

But Chupon... ! His sneeze attack is funny and ridiclious. Many times I had my good chars, usually Cyan or Terra "sneezed" out of the battle by Mr. Chupon, or other crits that have that attack. Come on, a 3 - 4 meter ball of boogers and mucus.... eww!

And Kefka. Man, oh man... the Japanese are a twisted bunch, transforming an evil dictator into an angel creature at the endgame battle.

I can't help taking a few pokes at the FF series... I really like it, but some things are too funny, weird, or outrageous to be left alone
Old July 16, 2002, 20:02   #44
Mr. President
Emperor

I don't know if I have the easy one; It's the Super NES version (I found a decent emulator, ie. one that doesn't erase anything when it runs ) that's called Final Fantasy II. It's the one with Cecil, Kain, Rosa, and Cid, if that's any help.

I'm in the underworld right now, and I have to sneak into the Tower of Bab-Il to steal some crystals. I've already lost three main characters (don't worry, it was part of the story): two turned themselves into stone to save the rest of us, and another was killed while casting Meteo on the bad dude Golbez.

P. S. I know what you mean about the ladies, Kass. For a Japanese cartoon character, Rosa's pretty hot!
Old July 16, 2002, 21:12   #45
Silence
Warlord

Local Time: 03:49
Things will start to turn upside down plotwise very soon for Final Fantasy 2.

(I loved that game, I got like 400 hours of playing time on one of my games)
"I do think that it is important to realize that wars are ugly and vile and that there better be a damned good reason for getting involved in one. Because the price for somebody is going to be very, very high."

David Weber
Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2002, 16:41   #46
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Mr. President, uh, I was referring to the ladies of FF VIII.

Was I the only one to crack up at Cid yelling "To the Enterprise!"?

Bummer! I had some ontopic stuff too!
Read my story post before this, though. Yes, you read right, story post.
*cracks open a bottle of champagne*

Established facts:

I. Death of President Tremaine is public knowledge.
Currently the incident is "a freak accident after a transport vessel's engines failed and caused the fuel tanks of the plane explode." Tremaine's cause of death is "hypothermia and suffocation when being caught inside the sinking craft". Not too comfortable, I'm afraid.

On my website, I have changed the heading of his biography, which now reads:
Tremaine, Henry Gerald (2623 - 2702) - middle-aged, considering Earthers reach around 130 years in average.

II. Sym is in the custody of the Hive.
and
III. Greg and Filky are back in business and on Mars trying to get home.
I decided to do it the easy way, as you can read - Sym is now with Hive agents, though I didn't describe it. Franky, your call from now on.

IV. After a hiatus of over 33 days, Kass has rediscovered his writing knack, dubbed by some as "Mr. Writer", who has a bizarre daily rhythm and can be summoned only during the night. My night is, however, a relative thing, since currently I go to bed at 9 AM (9:00) and wake up at 7 PM (19:00).
Old July 18, 2002, 06:46   #47
Mr. President
Emperor

Hey, save some of that champagne for me! You wrote? My hat is off to you!

Quote:
After a hiatus of over 33 days, Kass has rediscovered his writing knack, dubbed by some as "Mr. Writer", who has a bizarre daily rhythm and can be summoned only during the night. My night is, however, a relative thing, since currently I go to bed at 9 AM (9:00) and wake up at 7 PM (19:00).
Don't let him out of your sight! The new section is very interesting. One thing in particular caught my eye:

If words fail, then shredder pistols won't

What a psychopath! I gotta agree, though.

Quote:
Was I the only one to crack up at Cid yelling "To the Enterprise!"?
No. No, you were not. That game is actually very intertextual (in addition to Star Trek, the Enterprise is the name of a space shuttle and an aircraft carrier). There's some other stuff in there that I can't remember (Apolyton tends to drain a few IQ points from me), but I do remember that a walkthrough I found mentions "Excalibur" late in the game.

Quote:
Things will start to turn upside down plotwise very soon for Final Fantasy 2.
Yang and Cid are already dead, although characters in this game have an uncanny way of not staying buried. I'm on the road to Rubicant ( a couple of floors after breaking into Bab-il with Edge), and the battles are getting really draining now.
Old July 18, 2002, 06:56   #48
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 17:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia

II. Sym is in the custody of the Hive.
and
III. Greg and Filky are back in business and on Mars trying to get home.
I decided to do it the easy way, as you can read - Sym is now with Hive agents, though I didn't describe it. Franky, your call from now on.
Thank you sir!

Mr. Sym will be most graciously accepted into Hive society (until History Guy decides to kill him off, that is!) Thanks for making it vague enough for me to play with it.

Well, since you guys are talking 'bout FF, I'd just like to say that my fav. minor characters are Wedge and Biggs (cause they are the bomb!) So far, I've noticed only W/B and Cid are the only "recurring" characters in the FF saga.

Go Wedge and Biggs!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2002, 07:03   #49
Mr. President
Emperor

Are Wedge and Biggs the engineers? I'm not sure I've bumped into them yet.

One thing I love about Final Fantasy II / IV so far is the music. Sometimes they really get game music right, and boy they got it right for this game! The only games I've seen with better music are the Donkey Kong saga. Alpha Centauri's "soothing ocean sound"-style soundtrack comes close, though.

Franky, what platform do you know Final Fantasy from? I really wish that I had been able to play the Super Nintendo versions during the day of that system.
Old July 19, 2002, 04:53   #50
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:49
I've actually managed to write up another story post. It may seem a little strange, but the first bit was written I don't want to think how long ago and I only just completed it.

Mr. President and Sprayber please take note, Menelaus just sent messages to your factions.

Anyway, I really don't know why I haven't posted in so long. I do have a feeling the holidays had something to do with it, I spent most of my time playing Civ 3 or writing up Our Secret War over at the Civ 3 stroy forums.
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2002, 04:58   #51
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

dp. Not noticed as it was on page 2.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; July 19, 2002 at 06:16.
Old July 19, 2002, 06:09   #52
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Mr. President and Sprayber please take note, Menelaus just sent messages to your factions.
Understood. I'll start thinking about the appropriate follow-up.
Old July 19, 2002, 19:41   #53
Kassiopeia
Emperor

GeneralTacticus! Welcome back!

Mr. President: Well I'm only getting started with our despotic orchestrator here... I've always had a soft spot for really evil beings.

Oh, oh, and in my first game of FFIV, I've now made it to the Sealed Cave in Underworld.
Old July 20, 2002, 03:58   #54
Mr. President
Emperor

The Sealed Cave is nasty. I was there yesterday, but I kept getting killed by the boss so I left to get more experience and better weapons.

Quote:
I've always had a soft spot for really evil beings.
You too? I liked Sauron when I read The Lord of the Rings. After all, he made the freakin' Rings of Power, mobilized the largest and coolest armies, and had the Ringwraiths as his servants. I thought I was the only one.
Old July 21, 2002, 05:44   #55
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Are Wedge and Biggs the engineers? I'm not sure I've bumped into them yet.

One thing I love about Final Fantasy II / IV so far is the music. Sometimes they really get game music right, and boy they got it right for this game! The only games I've seen with better music are the Donkey Kong saga. Alpha Centauri's "soothing ocean sound"-style soundtrack comes close, though.

Franky, what platform do you know Final Fantasy from? I really wish that I had been able to play the Super Nintendo versions during the day of that system.
Sorry its taken me so long to reply...I've been (deeply) enjoying my summer vacation!

Anyway, to answer your ???, in FF 8, they are the captain and the assistant on the watchtower that you have to fight. I forget where else they appear but they always seem to play the "situational" comedy role.

I too like the FF music. For my cellphone ringtone I have the FF battle victory music.

arcadetones.emuunlim.com

I plan on buying the FF 8 orchestral soundtrack from ebay ASAP...I like FF 8 the best.

Anyway, sorry about my rambling ons,

Well...to answer your question, the VERY FIRST Final Fantasy game I played was on Nintendo. Yup, FF 1. The game that started it all....but I didnt' beat it cause the last boss (Chaos) was too freekin hard to beat. I've played almost every game except FF 10 for PS2 cause I don't have one and one of the Gameboy ones. I think you missed out from playing the ones on the Super Nintendo, those are ollld school but still fun as a mofo. I would recommend anyone with a little $$$ on hand to p/u a Super NES and some games cause Super NES games were innovative and mucho fun!

Have a great summer y'all!!!
Old July 21, 2002, 06:00   #56
Frankychan
King

You know...I just noticed something....

Quote:
Future Chironian historians would put it down this way:

The Coalition administration by the end of the 27th Century was a gangrene that was necessary to be removed.
Couldn't have said it better myself! Already sounds like the Earcth Coalition and the Hive Empire will be "good friends"

Buuuuuuuut...

Quote:
Oh yes, the Hive. Drecaille was as if stricken by a bolt of lightning as she recalled the situation. They were probably starving for information, unless of course they had already installed their network of spies that would feed the CHAIRMAN. Drecaille decided that once the ceremony would be complete, she would make her way to her quarters on board the Battleship and arrange for a comminucation to be sent. She tried to determine whether to reveal the entire situation to the Hive or just keep a low profile... they might decide to take advantage of their momentary vulnaribility, on the other hand, they could assist them in their efforts.
Either the EC's databanks need to be updated or Drecaille is deliberately insulting the EMPEROR!
(joking!)
Old July 21, 2002, 19:10   #57
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Heh, gangrene is one of my favourite. I like saying 'gangrene'. Gangrene. Something icky, slimy, dead.

What comes to me using the term 'Chairman'... yup, updating is direly needed, both in the EC databanks and my head. I had been so long away from anything BAC that I forgot all that Emperor nonsense.

Luckily, he was a chairman before so that's nearly acceptable as a mistake.
Old July 21, 2002, 19:15   #58
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by frankychan
You know...I just noticed something....

Couldn't have said it better myself! Already sounds like the Earcth Coalition and the Hive Empire will be "good friends"
Be careful Franky, the Spartans wouldn't mind removing one more gangrene. Especially when the dogs of war are released by a war starved society.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2002, 19:28   #59
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Oh. Btw. I'll make a request. Promise me that in some phase, we will have an epic space battle. Like in the scale of entire fleets of two opponents clashing. For now, IMO the best candidates for such an encounter would be the EC and TA... I wonder what happened to Mellian?
Old July 22, 2002, 06:40   #60
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Mellian's last post was almost a week ago, here:

http://64.246.32.51/~admin1/forums/s...threadid=55211