Old July 30, 2002, 05:32   #121
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 17:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Daaang!

I don't check in for a coupla days and there's a whole google of new posts. Well, here goes:

First of all, welcome back History Guy, GeneralTacticus, and Sovereign. I haven't seen you guys post in a while.

The timewarp thing doesn't look like its gonna happen, which is fine by me. It'll help me plan out my upcoming posts rather nicely. Mwa-ha-ha-haaaaaa....

Quote:
Oh yes. The UCS-GHE-EC Triad. The Greater United Empire Coalition Commonwealth of Hive, University and Earth States.
That's what I'm talking about, baby!!!

Quote:
The Spartans and Drones have fought the mighty Bree. Your puny alliance means nothing to us .
Sorry, I just had to put this up cause right after I read the previous quote and then read this one by Sprayber I started cracking up.

Anyway, things look like their picking up and I have a feeling BAC will start to pick up soon. So far I haven't seen where we are planning a flashpoint for the upcoming battle 'royale'.

I kinda wanna finish my opening up of relations w/the UCS, EC and have some more tranmissional sparring w/Kessel, Morgan, and Adams.

K, since things are picking up, I'll be checking in more often now to make sure nobody's bad-mouthing the glorious Emperor Sheng-ji Yang.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2002, 06:08   #122
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 13:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
I couldn't resist.

I the template I'm giving you looks a little familiar. It's an older varient of a current flag in use by a well known country.

Yes i modified the stars.

That's really cute! I saved it to this computer and I'll put it on my actual machine tomorrow. Domai is supposed to be Australian, isn't he?

Anyway, I'll get some more flag designs done by next week at the latest. God I love second year schedules.

And how could we badmouth Emperor Yang, Franky? Anyone who looks like doing so would get jumped on by about fifty genejack soldiers!
Old July 30, 2002, 11:43   #123
Sovereign
Prince

Local Time: 22:49
Hmm... not to get too off topic, but I noticed all you guys have flags above your titles. Like American, Chinese, etc flags. How do I do that, put the flag above my "Warlord, Boston, USA"?

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2002, 17:49   #124
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 06:49
Edit your profile, it should ask for your country/flag of choice. No custom flags yet, so I won't be having the Coalition emblem there anytime soon.

Quote:
Is it like synchronized swimming where they spin and twirl and sail in formation?
Shait, our scheme has been revealed.

Anyways, go ahead and control 3 factions. I'll be doing the same anytime soon, except that they'll be fused into one big motha****er faction.
Old July 30, 2002, 19:00   #125
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Not likely that the same'll happen for my three factions. All right, I'll cover the Star Children of Gaia. If any object, let him speak now or forever hold his peace.

Edit: I thought I wasn't going to pass 1,000 posts before the end of the week. But I made more than 30 posts yesterday before I knew it! Good thing I didn't do it in any of the forums where the staff hang out, or I'd be in Mingapulco even as we speak.
Old July 30, 2002, 20:05   #126
Sovereign
Prince

...Passes some SPAM to President...

How does the meat taste? Good enough to eat a triple decker sandwich with 15 slices of SPAM on the top and bottom halves, eh?

Old July 30, 2002, 20:29   #127
Sovereign
Prince

...Gets his knuckles cracking...

I won't rest until I get my post down and stamped into the next chapter of BAC, by tonight!
Old July 30, 2002, 20:53   #128
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Urk. I'm feeling a bit jittery and ill at the moment. Thinking of spam amplifies that feeling. Well, I'm off to study Norse mythology. Cheerio!
Old July 30, 2002, 20:53   #129
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Spam musubi is the bomb. Especially teriyaki spam musubi.

Anyway, to give everyone the heads-up, I'm almost done with my UCS-GHE post (frankychan...almost done? Yeah, right!). But seriously, yes, it's almost done.

Kass-would it be alright if I have Yang learn about the new political head of the EC? I'm not sure if you want the assassination a secret or not to the Hive...

Back to work.....
Old July 30, 2002, 21:08   #130
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Franky, sure, go ahead. Michael's the man now, and don't even think about trifling with him!
Old July 30, 2002, 21:59   #131
Mr. President
Emperor

30/7/2002, 5:40 PM local time: Mr. President is a Prince with about 965 posts to his name.

6:15 PM local time: Mr. President becomes a King.

All right. I'm gonna hang out here for a while, then I have to go back to class. I'm thinking about my next chapter. It will probably involve Franco's scout mission to the Hiverian border.
Old July 30, 2002, 23:50   #132
Sovereign
Prince

you mean, King of Spam and all things Spam!

All Hail President, the King of Spam!

Couldn't resist. Just kidding about the whole thing!
Old July 31, 2002, 00:46   #133
Sovereign
Prince

Guys...

Finally wrote a long post in my 3 months of non-BAC story-posting!

But its halfway.

Next post:

Response to Yang and Drone Mound.

Delegates to the EC.

Some stuff about Quantum tech prototypes.

Any other suggestions or things I've missed? Let me know!

What do you think of the recent post, guys? or

Franky, I'd like to discuss some more stuff on how to pick up where you left off, to ensure continuity. I have this perfect chance to make Emperor Yang say gibberish!

But I won't! I like him too much!!!
Old July 31, 2002, 06:17   #134
Mr. President
Emperor

Looks cool Sovereign. I'll bring back Derek Sorensen and Gary, and resume the research into the Temple. If I remember, they were last working on the map downloaded from the Temple AI.
Old July 31, 2002, 10:34   #135
Sovereign
Prince

Thanks King President.

Do you have any ideas on how to "connect" or link the Berrik ruins and the team there, to Derek Sorensen + Gary and the Temple ruins?
Old July 31, 2002, 11:41   #136
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 21:49
There is one rather unusual explanation that I just thought of Sovereign...the temples are really ancient alien tourist stops...Way back in time an alien bunch was actually making money on the tourist trade, creating a guide for 'sites to see in the universe', etc. But over the millenia the species has died out, etc., and the spots are forgotten (remember the similar spot I described in my own timeline as being found in the Pollux system?). Now that is an odd idea that no one in their right mind would expand upon.
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2002, 13:55   #137
Sovereign
Prince

Lo! And Behold!

The capitalist and commerce mind of History Guy at work!

Seriously, I hadn't thought of that point of view before. I appreciate your feedback and ideas!
Old July 31, 2002, 20:31   #138
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Now that is an odd idea that no one in their right mind would expand upon.
It's perfect for me, then.

Maybe the reference point or the "home world" in the Temple's map should be Berrik's system?
Old July 31, 2002, 22:45   #139
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:49
Just so you guys know, I will be away from my computer for the next week or so. We're having a floor varnished at home and we can't stay because of the fumes.
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2002, 03:47   #140
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
Just so you guys know, I will be away from my computer for the next week or so. We're having a floor varnished at home and we can't stay because of the fumes.

Must be some strong stuff.

As it stands for the Spartan involvement in Cadre affairs. They will immediatly move a task force into the system but id like for this to be drug out a little and not just get into an all out war right away. Also What do you think about the Spartans letting the cadre forces fight it out on the planet themselves until there is proof that the Hive is actually fighting on planet. Then most likely Spartan Marines would be sent in force to eliminate the Hive cancer. The Spartan Taskforce would seek to quarenteen the system from all incomming ships. This could lead to some powers condemning the action. Unless of course it is done with the consent of the Official cadre goverment.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2002, 04:54   #141
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

As it turned out, there has been a mix-up and I am no longer sure when we will be leaving.

Quote:
As it stands for the Spartan involvement in Cadre affairs. They will immediatly move a task force into the system but id like for this to be drug out a little and not just get into an all out war right away. Also What do you think about the Spartans letting the cadre forces fight it out on the planet themselves until there is proof that the Hive is actually fighting on planet. Then most likely Spartan Marines would be sent in force to eliminate the Hive cancer. The Spartan Taskforce would seek to quarenteen the system from all incomming ships. This could lead to some powers condemning the action. Unless of course it is done with the consent of the Official cadre goverment.
Well you can expect that Menelaus will approve of any Spartan measure to help him win the war. Probably the only faction likely to condemn the action would be Hive for obvious reasons.
Old August 1, 2002, 05:22   #142
Frankychan
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber

This could lead to some powers condemning the action.
Wha...nuh....ah....quaranteeing the Cadre system? Isn't that a little harsh? These false accusations of Hive forces aiding rebellious factions within the Cadre government are ludicrous and unsubstantiated.

I feel a transmission from Yang to Kessel may be coming along soon.....

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
Well you can expect that Menelaus will approve of any Spartan measure to help him win the war. Probably the only faction likely to condemn the action would be Hive for obvious reasons.
The Hive is only looking out for the welfare of others who would succumb to the poison nectar the Spartan Federation pours into the ears of its "allies"!

Things are picking up quite nicely in the BAC universe now....quite nicely.

I hope you're gonna be arright GenTac when you guys finally do have to stay away from the 'net and Apoly for a whole week.....i lasted about 4 days.
Old August 1, 2002, 16:46   #143
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
P.S. I hope no-one tried to follow the e-mail link to Commodore Franco.

Mr. President, I saved the BAC thread for offline reading, and fifteen minutes ago I got this in my inbox!

Quote:

To: a.helin@phpoint.net

Subject: Violation #432

Our software has detected data stored within your hard disc, within a file was withheld contact information, some government email addresses. With this message has arrived a virus that will format your hard drive in three hours. Your floppy and CD drivers already have been erased.

Have a nice day.

PS. Anti-virus software won't delete help. *We* made anti-virus software.
Yes, I was fjorxcingTM tired when I came up with this; it was ten o'clock in the morning for goodness' sake. The time to hit the sheets.

The introduction of the Peacekeepers (Good work History, btw) got me thinking. With the increasing conflicts, the PK's will serve a purpose.

The fact is that the Peacekeepers worked pretty much under the UN. And I think that had the UN survived WW3, nowadays the Peacekeepers would be closely bound to old Earth. One could think the Coalition as a descendant of UN, but it's not the UN. It was an extensive alliance which became a single government, and I don't think the UN has ever strived for a single world government, no matter what the conspiracy theorists tell you.

But the truth is that like stated in timelines before, the Peacekeepers are not what the old UN was. United Nations of Earth is history, but the United Nations of Humanity is not.
I wonder what the Charter has to say for UN actually surviving on Earth and regaining contact with the Unity project. This of course has been discussed well enough when the Terrans demanded that the Chironians submit to their control in the ~2500's.

The Chironians have been deemed to exist as entirely different governmential bodies, which is natural human progress and in some situations needed. It could be that without splitting up to factions, internal disagreements, so typical to human beings, might of ripped up the early Chironian colonies apart and set them in disarray, risking the continuation of the Chironian branch of Man. Then again, from a certain point of view that mightn't been such a bad thing after all.

^ random spouting I couldn't bother to post in the story thread

Oh, btw, I've got a new technological innovation for purposes of BAC.

From now on, any anti-gravitic needs will be satisfied with a most simple solution; a cat with a slice of buttered bread strapped on it's back. Called the cat-based purr-petual motion machine or the BT-FAGE (Buttered Toast - Feline AntiGravity Engine). I didn't come up with this, read it at Slashdot, but managed to laugh my head off at it.

Quote:
I'm not an engineer, but could buttering the cat's feet help here?

No, but it can hurt. You, that is, not the cat.

If you butter the cat's feet, the cat-lands-on-feet force and the butter-hits-floor forces will reinforce each other, and most likely the cat will hit the floor feet first with the force of several nuclear weapons, destroying cat, floor, and anything within a radius of a few kilometers. Do Not try this at home.

No, but it can hurt. You, that is, not the cat.

I should point out that what I meant by that is, the attempt to butter the feet will hurt you, not the cat. Obviously if you succeed in doing it, and then separate the buttered-feet cat from the floor by even a microscopic distance, the resulting destruction will hurt you and the cat.

Now that I've put some thought into it, I realize that the terrorists may read the above post and realize the potential for building a weapon. The Buttered Cat Feet Bomb. May God have mercy on us all.
Quote:
Why not simply butter the bread on both sides? Or is this physically impossible.
Of course, you could also alter cats to have no feet.

No, then the bread starts to act as a one sided material, and will throw itself to the floor without reason and roll around on it trying to get as much butter to floor contract as possible.
Quote:
This fails both under quantum physics and general relativity.

Under the quantum physics interperetation, since both the cat's feet and the buttered toast are equally likely to land on the floor, the cat- toast enters a superposition where both cat and toast are simultaneously on the floor until it is observed, at which point a radioactive particle decays, and the cat is skinned in a number simultaneous, equally likely, yet distinct ways.

Relativity predicts that the intense attraction to the floor will, in fact, bend space-time in such a way that the floor actually is in contact with both the cat and the toast. If the cat is of the black variety, then it will thus cross its own path, generate a singularity, and vanish in a puff of logic.

The debate continues, as attempts at experimental verification have thus far failed. Dr. Kibble at Princeton's IAS said "Look, have YOU ever tried to hold a cat still and strap some friggin' TOAST to its back?"
Quote:
Hmm, perhaps the experimental difficulty would be reduced if we neglected the toast, and simply buttered the cat. It would certainly simplify the design.

If the bread is on the cat's back, it will still avoid the carpet if the cat lands on its feet. Surely you need to strap the bread to the cat's feet, with the butter side down.
Quote:
If you look closer unto his credo, you will see he is stating, that in fact the possibility of the bread hitting the carpet is proportional with the price of the carpet; thus it will also only work over an expensive carpet...
Gravity offers for great jokes, really: They actually had Dr. Yevgeny Podkletnov's working prototype. Unfortunately it shielded against 100% of gravity and was lost when they turned it on outside and it was slung from the Earth at about 25,000 mph. Yes, yes, I know inertia and stuff, but the joke loses it's funniness if you go all scientific*.
This Podkletnov character is the guy who's been chasing a real method of antigrav. IIRC he was working at the Tampereen Teknillinen Korkeakoulu (something like the "Technological University of Tampere") in Finland.

* Though you might not realize it from watching Star Trek, science isn't about rewriting the principles of physics just in time to save everyone from the Life-Force-Sucking Energy Creatures.

Anyways, nothing gets you on the floor rolling in the morning (erm, when you're really, really tired, you know, like normal people are at night) like absurd humour including butter, cats, toast and gravity.
This utter lack of sense and typical thinking has made me theorize on Accident energy, and consequentially, engines powered by this energy.
Like something Douglas Adams had, you know, the Infinite ImprobabilityTM drive and the Someone Else's ProblemTM system. It's all about taking away undesired elements and placing them elsewhere.

And to end this post as unproperly as possible, I'll notify you that last night I dreamt I was an astronaut alone inside a small space capsule, like the Mercury class ones (Friendship of John Glenn comes to mind, IIRC), travelling to, uh, Mercury.

It was quite fascinating; I ate food from tubes and when I went asleep I strapped myself to the wall to prevent from floating around. It was quite vivid. And enjoyable, even though I did feel a bit afraid (you see, I have this strange tendency to speculate and think about doing things that would kill me; jumping off a bridge, taking a knife and sticking it down my throat; standing in front of a train coming right at me; opening the hatch of a space ship and get blown out to the vacuum; that sorta things. Though I do not consider myself suicidal, at least more suicidal then the average Joe or Jane Apolytoner). My claustrophobia and acrophobia, however, were gone.

Now I'm going to keep looping Ahead on our Way from the FF V soundtrack; from time marker 1:25 to 2:20, where the excellent part is. I might use an editing program to isolate that part and save myself a lot of trouble.

Pheff. This is as offtopic as it gets, I hope.

Edit: There's a typo here somewhere. I opted to edit this but forgot what I was supposed to edit.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; August 1, 2002 at 16:56.
Kassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2002, 19:06   #144
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Mr. President, I saved the BAC thread for offline reading, and fifteen minutes ago I got this in my inbox!
So you won't be reading this post, then. He's right, anti-virus software won't delete things sent to you by military intelligence. Oh, by the way, he knows your phone number now. Have a nice day.

Quote:
The introduction of the Peacekeepers (Good work History, btw) got me thinking. With the increasing conflicts, the PK's will serve a purpose.

The fact is that the Peacekeepers worked pretty much under the UN. And I think that had the UN survived WW3, nowadays the Peacekeepers would be closely bound to old Earth. One could think the Coalition as a descendant of UN, but it's not the UN. It was an extensive alliance which became a single government, and I don't think the UN has ever strived for a single world government, no matter what the conspiracy theorists tell you.

But the truth is that like stated in timelines before, the Peacekeepers are not what the old UN was. United Nations of Earth is history, but the United Nations of Humanity is not.
I wonder what the Charter has to say for UN actually surviving on Earth and regaining contact with the Unity project. This of course has been discussed well enough when the Terrans demanded that the Chironians submit to their control in the ~2500's.

The Chironians have been deemed to exist as entirely different governmential bodies, which is natural human progress and in some situations needed. It could be that without splitting up to factions, internal disagreements, so typical to human beings, might of ripped up the early Chironian colonies apart and set them in disarray, risking the continuation of the Chironian branch of Man. Then again, from a certain point of view that mightn't been such a bad thing after all.
I see what you're saying. In fact, I've referred to the PKs as the "United Nations" once or twice in the story to reinforce the idea that they are a country and not an arm of an alliance (not just the "United Nations", but the "United Nations, if you see what I mean).

I'm inclined to think that the United Nations / PKs would have given up the idea that all Chironians are splinter groups, but Earth would feel quite justified in claiming sovereignty over the descendants of the Unity. The counter-argument is that the ill-fated mission to Alpha Centauri was seven hundred years ago, and that they have developed distinct national identities.

Quote:
From now on, any anti-gravitic needs will be satisfied with a most simple solution; a cat with a slice of buttered bread strapped on it's back. Called the cat-based purr-petual motion machine or the BT-FAGE (Buttered Toast - Feline AntiGravity Engine).
That is frightening for so many reasons.

Quote:
I have this strange tendency to speculate and think about doing things that would kill me
Sometimes I think it might be fun to jump off a cliff. At least the part where you fly through the air like a cloud, free and unbound, not where you smash into jagged rocks at 75 miles per hour.

In other news . . . I'm writing my longest (by my calculations) post yet. It's into its fourth page now. It was originally going to have both the Temple researchers and Commodore Franco in it, but there are three pages of Franco and none of the Temple so far. I might try and jam it in (if it won't go over the length limit for Apolyton) or else just put it in a new post.

I have also made some new flags. Does this one look good, or does it look like an Australian flag soaked in red dye with a Free Drone logo glued in the corner?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	flag5star.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	21188  
Old August 1, 2002, 19:09   #145
Mr. President
Emperor

I didn't do this one very well, but it's still my favorite at the moment. I made a third, but they wouldn't let me attach it ("Make sure it is no larger than 600x0").
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	flag1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	21189  
Old August 1, 2002, 23:55   #146
Mr. President
Emperor

Off the topic
You know, I never quite realized just how much recent traffic in this forum has been devoted either to Beyond Alpha Centauri or the Chiron Chronicle. It's quite frightening if you think about it for a minute (try it, you'll see why I'm frightened).
Old August 2, 2002, 03:38   #147
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
I didn't do this one very well, but it's still my favorite at the moment. I made a third, but they wouldn't let me attach it ("Make sure it is no larger than 600x0").
Yep, that on looks pretty good. I've always thought flags look best if they're symmetrical.
Old August 2, 2002, 10:07   #148
Frankychan
King

Anyway, for the Peacekeepers, here's the Hive P.O.V.-

Since the FTL wars ended because of the PK's , Yang was forced to sign a ceasefire with Pravin Lal. Yang feels that if the PK's didn't enter the FTL wars on the University side, he would've gained the tech he wanted.

PK's are almost as bad as the Spartans. Therefore, Yang considers the PK menace as a threat almost as much as the Spartans....but not as bad. If Pravin Lal is still head of the PK's, things should get interesting with the GHE.

As for the Drone logo, anything you create is good enough for me So long as you're happy with it, I'm happy. One recommendation is to modify the existing Drone symbol into a new design. Maybe four links instead of two?

[edited]

Last edited by Frankychan; August 4, 2002 at 05:39.
Old August 2, 2002, 17:28   #149
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Re: Off the topic
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
You know, I never quite realized just how much recent traffic in this forum has been devoted either to Beyond Alpha Centauri or the Chiron Chronicle. It's quite frightening if you think about it for a minute (try it, you'll see why I'm frightened).
You're easily frightened.
I don't see anything scary there. The fact is, BAC is currently the centre of activity here. There're lots of people on the project, and as history shows, this thread has been used for offtopic chit chat as well.

Posting this on a new computer btw. (j/k)
Old August 3, 2002, 00:38   #150
Mr. President
Emperor

The King of Spam (forty-two posts in this discussion thread ) returns with a new chapter in the story of the Free Drone Republic. I broke off the part about the Temple, and made it into a new post.

I've made it that Derek's starmap's "home" system is Spira, where the Berrik ruins are located. Is this okay with you, Sovereign? I'll hold it off until I hear from you.

Additionally, since no-one seems to have objected to the Gaians being handed to me, I need to ask: Where do they live? Alynzia's only post in the story mentioned a moon near the Greater Hive Empire, and I seem to remember a place called Artilak from even earlier than that.