Old July 5, 2002, 05:30   #1
Stason
Settler

Local Time: 03:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Are you guys doing what I think you are???
Are you guys playing Civ collectively for one civ? So you've got virtual government and you take decisions collectively???

WOW, massive!!! This should be a great experience for you all and learning as well.

My experience of virtual groups is quite devastating. Without regular live contact virtual groups deteriorate, often after first major problem. Virtual groups are also inherently unstable due to the radicalisation of personalities online. Fights, withdrawals and usurpation of power is very common. The only way when virtual groups survive is when there are severe implicit penalties for failure (like not passing your degree ot loosing your job).

But great idea anyway. It would be interesting to see how far you would progress. Good luck to you.
Old July 5, 2002, 05:40   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: Are you guys doing what I think you are???
Quote:
Originally posted by Stason
Are you guys playing Civ collectively for one civ? So you've got virtual government and you take decisions collectively???

WOW, massive!!! This should be a great experience for you all and learning as well.

My experience of virtual groups is quite devastating. Without regular live contact virtual groups deteriorate, often after first major problem. Virtual groups are also inherently unstable due to the radicalisation of personalities online. Fights, withdrawals and usurpation of power is very common. The only way when virtual groups survive is when there are severe implicit penalties for failure (like not passing your degree ot loosing your job).

But great idea anyway. It would be interesting to see how far you would progress. Good luck to you.
Um....Acutally that's basically how were operating! But I think we'll make it
Old July 5, 2002, 05:43   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:49
Cheers, Stason. It's early going in a highly complex game, but we are surviving. The key with these Virtual groups is to find members that are highly intelligent and very sensible - you find most Apolyton site members are both! I'm not really joking either.

Have a look at the Civ2 Democracy game also - we have been doing the same thing with Civilization 2 since February and are about to win the game. Other such games exist at Civfanatics and some other places I haven't heard of and thus can't remember.

I hope you decide to join in - it can be a helluva lot of fun, and you don't need to do anything: you can post where you want, vote where you want, go for a Minister's position if you like, or just be like me and stay out of the politics whilst arguing fiercely on all the issues.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 5, 2002, 05:51   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Cheers, Stason. It's early going in a highly complex game, but we are surviving. The key with these Virtual groups is to find members that are highly intelligent and very sensible - you find most Apolyton site members are both! I'm not really joking either.

Have a look at the Civ2 Democracy game also - we have been doing the same thing with Civilization 2 since February and are about to win the game. Other such games exist at Civfanatics and some other places I haven't heard of and thus can't remember.

I hope you decide to join in - it can be a helluva lot of fun, and you don't need to do anything: you can post where you want, vote where you want, go for a Minister's position if you like, or just be like me and stay out of the politics whilst arguing fiercely on all the issues.
Yes, you can have quite a bit of fun in this democracy game. And it's a very interesting insight into human behavior under political pressure and stress. So even 633k5 and researchers can have fun! (Sorry, I'm bored)

And conflict isn't as much as I thought it would be. I was thinking that we would be conflicting over every single decision, and that we would eventually collapse on ourselves. But were far from that, and were doing quite well.

Old July 5, 2002, 10:23   #5
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 23:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
There is not a doubt in my mind that Apolyton is one of the best online communities on the web...

We mud-sling a lot, but our goal is the same, so it works out in the end...
Old July 5, 2002, 13:52   #6
Stason
Settler

So how does it work exactly? Do you have permanent players (ministers?) that have to chat regularly and take decisions, while everybody else can just pop-up with some ideas etc.?
Old July 5, 2002, 14:06   #7
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 21:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
That's a loaded question.

We have elected officials who both play the game and make some decisions. Anyone can propose things, and often the elected officials take polls to see what the masses wish them to do. Read over the constitution for more in-depth description of how it all works.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby