Old August 7, 2002, 05:26   #31
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, I feel honored, because I happen to be a German, but I prefer Japan and China over Germany in Civ3, because Religious and Industrious are better second traits than Scientific and a medieval age UU is the best for a well-timed GA and the conquest of the home continent. Panzers are good, but come ways too late. It's a matter of personal preferences and difficulty level, I guess. Scientific shines on levels below Monarch, while Religious becomes more and more important on Monarch and above.
Old August 7, 2002, 11:23   #32
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 23:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Fighter,

What Sir Ralph said. The scientific/militaristic combo is fairly weak, and the Panzer, while awesome, comes too late for my taste. They do start with the ability to build archers and spearmen, which is nice, but I'd rather have double-speed workers or 1/2 price temples.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 8, 2002, 10:59   #33
dawidge
Warlord

Local Time: 21:50
Germany doesn't come into its own until late in the game. The panzer means that you're at parity, troop-strength-wise, with the rest of the world through most of the kill-your-neighbor parts of the game and also means that your GA won't happen (unless you build the appropriate wonders) until a part of the game that most people strive not to reach.

I vote for the Aztecs. The little green mean machine can deliver your starting landmass to you in the ancient era. The first time I tried the Aztecs, I ended the game with an intercontinental invasion of knights on caravels (upgraded to cavalry on galleons before the domination conditions kicked in).

There is also a soft spot in my heart for the Romans. I'm looking forward to testing out the improvements to commercial. Legionnaries are strong until cavalry/riflemen and legionnary armies are useful even then.
Old August 8, 2002, 11:09   #34
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Not quite, dawidge. The Germans have a military advantage from the beginning, starting with cheap barracks, archers and spearmen and being only 1 tech away from swordsmen. For an early warmonger up to emperor that's enough to severely weaken or take out his 2-3 neighbors, if he attacks from the start (with 2-3 cities). But if you wait too long (till horsemen), this advantage will be gone.
Old August 8, 2002, 11:16   #35
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 23:50
Dawidge,

I recently played a game as Rome to try out the new 'n improved Commercial trait. They still aren't great, but they're solid now. I won the game handily via domination. Commercial is still a lower-tier trait, I think, but it's much better than it was.

Incidentally, China has moved into the #1 spot for me, bumping Japan to #2. I still haven't really done much w/the Aztecs.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Last edited by Arrian; August 8, 2002 at 13:59.
Old August 8, 2002, 13:20   #36
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 20:50
I'm playing with Romans on a huge map. I must say that Commercial really has improved a lot. I have around 75 cities and still use the Monarchy, and the total corruption is less than 20%.

Also, Roman Legionary is really a class in its own. Even in the age of Infantry, it remains useful on both defense and offense. A Legionary placed in good defensive grounds, be it metropolis, hills, or mountains, can still stop Infantry or Cavalry attacks. On the offensive side, a Legionary can still waste a Cavalry on a 50% chance. It seems that only the appearance of Tanks will finally make Legionary obsolete.
Old August 8, 2002, 18:35   #37
dawidge
Warlord

Local Time: 21:50
The cheap barracks don't differentiate Germany from any other militaristic civ. On the other hand, starting your archer rush buildup on turn 1 and starting the sword rush buildup on turn 40 has definite possibilities.
Old October 3, 2002, 14:06   #38
LionQ
Warlord

Location: Capelle aan den IJssel [near Rotterdam], The Netherlands
Indeed it does....

LionQ.

Last edited by LionQ; October 3, 2002 at 14:12.
Old October 3, 2002, 22:53   #39
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 20:50
Aztec then Japan

I just love the early uu of the Aztecs. Makes a great scout.

I really haven't played any others except maybe the Romans. Are they militaristic? I cannot remember. I got my ass handed to me when I played them.
Old October 3, 2002, 23:49   #40
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 22:50
i hate how the zulu hav scouts AND a two move spearman. as useful as the spearman is, i see the scout as a waste
Old October 4, 2002, 02:21   #41
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 22:50
I love every civilization in the game (Yes England too!)
That certainly goes for militaritic types too...

Aztec/Japan - There is no doubt mil/rel is sick.. and to top that, they have a balanced unit (1/1, 4/4) in their respective era with 2 movement!

China - Same reason why everyone else in this thread goes crazy over it..... industrious and move 3!

Zulu - Horsemen and impi anyone? talk about potential to win very fast!

Romans - These guys are very interesting. The only mil/com combo and it works well with new 1.29 fix on commercial trait. They are sickly good at being persian killers when going up Legion to Immortals and all you need is these guys in ancient era and nothing else.

Persians and Iroquois - Tho doesnt have mil traits they are quite good aggressive civs.
Old October 4, 2002, 04:03   #42
LionQ
Warlord

Location: Capelle aan den IJssel [near Rotterdam], The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
I love every civilization in the game.
Me too, I always choose for Random and then look what I get, I'll always be content with it.

LionQ.