Old July 7, 2002, 08:42   #1
KenderBane
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Idea for patch
I've always thought that there was something "wrong" about the slider bars for Science, Luxuries, and Income. Specifically, I found it bizzarre that, while vitrtually every other part of the game stays the same, these slider bars are the same throughout the game.

All civs use the same sort of budgeting system from ancient times to space flight. In my opinion, this needs to be changed. I have a suggestion on how to improve it.

Every Civ, starts the game with the slider bars changing things in 10% increments like they are now.

When a civ acquires "Currency", the slider bars change the tax rates in increments of 5%.

When a civ acquires "Economics", the slider bars change the tax rates in increments of 2.5%.

And Finally, when a civ enters the modern age, the slider bars move the tax rates in increments of 1% (and the numbers are rounded off to the nearest 1%; so no one is stuck with a .5% because they had it when the changed over to the modern age).

This would reflect a greater financial savvy as technology improves. It also makes 'tweaking' the tax rates a lot bit easier. (How you ever tried changing the tax rates when you have 40 + cities each with 16+ pop ? ... the 10% increments are "clunky" at best).

What is your opinion ?
Old July 7, 2002, 08:55   #2
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 06:55
Very good... really, under a 40 city Democracy, 10% is much. And of course, such allocations are possible in real life. This idea would, IMO, add some depth to the game, and certainly would present interest in MP. Like, you could almost always select a very balanced tax rate, giving you no income/losses (well maybe +1 or -2), and good science.

Old July 7, 2002, 09:24   #3
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 04:55
Sounds like a good idea to me, too. Fine tuning the science/money output is crucial throughout the game.
I'd also like to see some warning pop-up, if the next tech is going to be reached in 1 turn, so that you can adjust the slider to avoid unnecessary losses.
Old July 7, 2002, 09:34   #4
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 06:55
Quote:
I'd also like to see some warning pop-up, if the next tech is going to be reached in 1 turn, so that you can adjust the slider to avoid unnecessary losses.
Disagree... remembering to micromanage the budget is player's skill. You don't get a message telling you that you're probably gonna lose the war, or like, so no reminder needed .