Old August 7, 2002, 09:38   #61
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My vote would go towards the English, even though they are expansionists. And since it would be my first (and probably last) adventure with them, Monarch would suffice. The English are truly close to Mapmaking, as they start with both Alphabet and Pottery, so only 2 techs to go to galleys, the Lighthouse etc... Ought to be fun for navy lovers.
Old August 7, 2002, 09:48   #62
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Still a little hazy on who to pick for the 5th AI civ...

While that discussion continues, how about we liven things up a little bit?

Sooo, what have been the historical reasons for naval power:

* Exploration
* Forward projection of military might
* Protection from same
* Establishment / protection of colonies
* Protection of commerce

It seems to me that we would all engage in these activities as a matter of course.

HOWEVER, what if added some goals / constraints?

For instance:

* Exploration race
* Total naval aggression, i.e., you see an AI ship, you must kill it
* Colonial aggression, i.e., you see an AI colony, you must capture or destroy it
* Blockade, i.e., you must blockade at least 1 AI civ

Ideas?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 7, 2002, 09:55   #63
Harovan
staff

I'm with Arrian, thumbs up for the Yanks.
Old August 7, 2002, 12:34   #64
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 20:57
I wouldn't put such tight restrictions on player choices regarding the timing of attacking - i.e, must destroy all AI ships and colonies - that can play havoc with diplomacy / trading and can simply turn the game into continuous warfare.

Catt
Old August 7, 2002, 13:39   #65
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Theseus,

The Americans do really well on these type of maps, trust me. They were my toughest opposition in that French game I just finished. I had a knock-down, drag out war (Knights/Musketeers and eventually Cavalry) with them, and was able to capture 2 cities and raze 2 more. I made no attempt to go after their core.

The "you must kill any AI ship or colony" does translate into continuous war, like Catt said, so I vote no on that.

I have an idea to "spice up" the game somewhat. I say we do something like what was done for AU102: take a random generated map, and tweak it. Have an isolated, unpopulated landmass with a luxury monopoly on it. Finders keepers, losers weepers

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 7, 2002, 14:07   #66
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Americans it is.

Great idea on the isolated landmass.

Any volunteers to create the map? It seems like the AU mod is just about done for now.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old August 7, 2002, 14:48   #67
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

I'll make the map, if nobody else wants to.
But if somebody has even a small interest in doing it, I would be glad to play without knowing what's in store for us.
Old August 7, 2002, 14:51   #68
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I'd make the map too nice Given the power of creation, I wouldn't be able to restrain myself, particularly knowing we're stuck playing such a terrible civ. Plus, the map creator can't really play normally - knowledge of the map is a big deal.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 7, 2002, 15:18   #69
Theseus
Emperor

Is there any way we can draw straws?

Old August 7, 2002, 15:37   #70
Harovan
staff

What exact map settings do we want? Theseus, can you post precise instructions? I could try to find somebody, who creates a map for us, if it is just a random archipelago map with minor tweaks.
Old August 7, 2002, 15:42   #71
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

Would that "somebody" know what to tweak to make the game more exciting?
Old August 7, 2002, 15:44   #72
Harovan
staff

That is why I asked for precise instructions .
Old August 7, 2002, 15:46   #73
alexman

But if we post precise instructions here, it won't be a surprise any more!
Old August 7, 2002, 15:47   #74
Theseus
Emperor

SR, I got no clue!!!

Maybe there's someone in Files who likes to create, but not play? Or just doesn't care about knowing the map?

alexman, you hang out some over there, right?

If not, can someone give SR intrustructions?

Thx

Old August 7, 2002, 15:48   #75
Harovan
staff

Well, if the only instruction is to have an archipelago map with enough islands, far enough from each other, I would have somebody here who would do it. If it needs "improved strategical knowledge", not.
Old August 7, 2002, 15:49   #76
alexman

OK, I'll do it this time because I have some ideas on what tweaks to add. But thanks for offering, Sir Ralph.
Old August 7, 2002, 16:04   #77
alexman

Vote time:
Hard Monarch map, or easier Emperor?
Old August 7, 2002, 16:09   #78
Harovan
staff

Hard Monarch (I'm on vacation )
Old August 7, 2002, 16:18   #79
Arrian
Deity

Monarch.

Settings: 80% water, normal, temperate, 3 or 4 billion, roaming barbs (I wonder, though, will the island totally fill up with barbs so that you can't even land there pre-marines? If so, is that a bad thing, or a good one?).

I suggest the luxury prize be gems, and the island it's on should only have room for 1 city, with the gems in mountains around the edges... requiring colonies for a while. I see a star-shaped island, with gems out on the arms of the star, and a couple of hills in the middle where you can build a city.

-Arrian

Old August 7, 2002, 16:19   #80
Theseus
Emperor

Henry VIII.

(couldn't you make some 'wife' units?)

Old August 7, 2002, 16:26   #81
Theseus
Emperor

Arrian,

Thanks for the reminder... I forgot to post this shot this morning.

This is the Philippines, same game.

That stack of horsies is still 11 strong. I think at maximum, there were like 30 horsemen and 10 warriors on that island!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	barbs.gif
Views:	185
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	21659  

Old August 7, 2002, 17:13   #82
Catt
King

Been away from the computer for awhile - the thread is half-a-page longer than when I left!

Why do we have to create a map? Can't we use a random (with the right settings? If alexman wants to, he can play several thousand years into the game to verify that something wacky hasn't occured in the map generator - would run the risk of having to play a few games and quit, but would be able to play without map knowledge!
Old August 7, 2002, 17:22   #83
Theseus
Emperor

To kick it up a notch, Arrian suggested creating a remote, uninhabited island wiith a monopoly of gems.

Old August 7, 2002, 17:31   #84
Catt
King

Cool Missed that post.
Old August 7, 2002, 19:10   #85
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 22:57
It may be a good idea to havea killer AI and a regular AI game again, in order to see the developpments in both games (and to ease it on less experienced players like me who would like to improve!)

--Kon--
Old August 7, 2002, 19:17   #86
Theseus
Emperor

Not a bad idea, if alexman's up for it...

BTW, I think we are seeing new killers just from 1.29... America for instance, seems to have gotten significantly better and more aggressive. Wonder what Soren did...

What happened to Konquest01?

Old August 7, 2002, 21:12   #87
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 22:57
Dunno... never heard of him...

Got this number elsewhere and kept it. Konquest is the test name of a board game my friend invented last year in college. It looked a bit like Civ, but in real life. The main point of the game was fighting for the kingdom of Kon. For those who speak french here, "Se battre pour un royaume con..." Which translates to "Fighting for a stupid kingdom..." We had a good laugh and changed the name! I kept it!

While playing Civ, I usually do not aim for C(k)onquest victory, I suck at it. I am more of the peaceful guy...

--Kon--
Old August 11, 2002, 06:55   #88
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 03:57
Those of you who don't visit CFC won't have seen this, but one of the posters there has created a very impressive little website to document the strategy involved in one of the tournament games.

Definitely worth a look!

Link:
http://www.civfanatics.com/doc/civ3/...apan_campaign/
Old August 11, 2002, 15:54   #89
Theseus
Emperor

It's great... carver knows his sh-t!!

Comments:

1. No barracks, which I would have built for the WCs at least.

2. Used a WC to kick-off an Army... that's a nono, as the Army will then never be able to enter unroaded jungles or mountains. Also, the GL was created by a Swordsman, which clearly should have been the base unit.

3. Be careful in that carver uses the more conservative 'cumulative' approach to combat calculations, rather than additive, which is the correct approach. He acknowledged this at CFC, but it's not made clear in the game AAR.

Great job though, have to hand it to him.

Old August 11, 2002, 16:38   #90
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Interestingly, the author says that he has not observed 'armies that would retreat from combat rather than fight to the death'. I don't know if this is old news, but I have seen a retreating army. A sneak-attacking AI landed, beside some ancient units, two Infantry units at a hill near the coast, and I decided to take them out with a 12hp tank army (that I had been able to build because of player1's changes to the Military Academy). Killed the first Infantry with no great losses (2 or 3 hp), decided to blitz, but the second Infantry brought my army down to 1 hp. While I was fearing the worst, the army retreated.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW