View Poll Results: To build or not to build?
Ironworks 4 6.35%
Factory 2 3.17%
Both 53 84.13%
Banana 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 8, 2002, 09:25   #1
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 21:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Iron Works or not?
In my current game as the French, I've discovered industrialization. Gay Paris is a bustling metropolis with 40 shield production - without a factory. There are still 2 mines to work in the radius, as well. My question:

Should I complete the Ironworks in this city? If yes,
Should I also build a factory?

My concern is pollution. Obviously, it'd be a big boost to have a city that could complete a major wonder in 5 turns, or one turn infantry construction. How much pollution should I expect from a city that produces 80 or 120 shields? How many workers will I need just to keep suburban Paris clean?

I've posted a poll in case people don't want to post a reply...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.

Last edited by Marquis de Sodaq; July 8, 2002 at 09:30.
Old July 8, 2002, 09:33   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Take a look at this beauty ... and then build both! The worst pollution comes from population. Just don't let the city grow above 20.
Old July 8, 2002, 09:45   #3
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Build ironworks first, so there's no risk of the resources expiring, then go build the factory. A city can only produce a max of 1 pollution per turn so all you need is enough workers to clear the pollution square in one turn... which is less of a problem for France since they're industrious. And having a super production city is great fun.
Old July 8, 2002, 09:45   #4
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Thanks, Sir Ralph - that's the sort of city I envision! I still need to lay railroads, as well, so 150 shields sounds within reach...

intelligence to few.
Old July 8, 2002, 09:50   #5
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by DrFell
Build ironworks first, so there's no risk of the resources expiring
That doesn't matter. The right to build the IW remains.
Old July 8, 2002, 10:02   #6
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Even if the resource expires before you start building the wonder? Never knew that, I have only build iron works once, and only had the chance to a couple times.
Old July 8, 2002, 10:05   #7
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 22:58
Build both. Number of shields doesn't affect pollution. Population causes pollution, and the existence of certain improvements (including factory and iron works) causes pollution. So the factory will cause the same amount of pollution in a 40 shield city as it will in a 20 shield city.

Like DrFell said, a city can only pollute one square per turn. So just make sure you keep enough workers around to clear the pollution in one turn and you'll be fine.
Old July 8, 2002, 10:07   #8
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by DrFell
Even if the resource expires before you start building the wonder?
Yes. I checked it in a game with a crappy one-shield-island-city. It could build the IW. Of course, I did not even try it. Soon after, the coal depleted. The right to build the IW remained. Apparently, the IW capability is a fixed flag in the data structure of the city.

However, I don't know if the city gains the right to build the IW, if a new source of iron/coal is discovered.
Old July 8, 2002, 10:12   #9
The Pioneer
Prince

I am thoroughly confused ! What is an IW? For a second there I thought I was in Colonization Forum! Have I missed something!?!
Old July 8, 2002, 10:17   #10
Dr. Stiby
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:58
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
I am thoroughly confused ! What is an IW?
What about Iron Works? just a wild guess...
Old July 8, 2002, 12:30   #11
The Pioneer
Prince

Ok, I feel like a fool here but I will play it cool and ask again

I know that IW means Iron Works but what is Iron Works... ...and yes I've pllayed the game and not just once....
Old July 8, 2002, 12:53   #12
delsolsi
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
Ok, I feel like a fool here but I will play it cool and ask again

I know that IW means Iron Works but what is Iron Works... ...and yes I've pllayed the game and not just once....
Its a small wonder that you get a chance to build if you have both Iron and Coal in your city radius. It can give a pretty large production bonus as seen from Sir Ralph, 153 shields per turn, and in a recent game I had 135 (175 during Golden Age, wish it was that much the whole time) shields per turn in a city with lots of coast that produced no shields.
Old July 8, 2002, 12:56   #13
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Pollution is thus not a big concern. The massive shield production will allow any helpful improvements to curb it later on, too. Building both IW and factory seems to be a clear choice.

I knew there was still fun to be had after the middle ages... (I usually start anew at around this point in a game) Construction will begin this evening!

intelligence to few.
Old July 8, 2002, 13:00   #14
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I voted 'Ironworks' ... but I meant 'Both'. I'm dumb.

Anyway ... go for it! I've only had the chance to build the IW once and it blew me away!

I love it!
Old July 8, 2002, 13:31   #15
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 20:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
However, I don't know if the city gains the right to build the IW, if a new source of iron/coal is discovered.
I can't swear on a stack of bibles, but I would assume that you could build the IW in any city that has both coal and iron - whether newly appeared or there of longstanding (of course, being limited to only one in the game).

I assume this because in a very old game several months back, upon the discovery of Steam Power I got the hoped-for pop-up "Our people want to build the Iron Works . . ." -- upon locating all of my newly discovered coal deposits I was surprsied to see that I had my choice of three cities in which to build the IW!

BTW, didn't know that once the flag is hit, even with the depletion of coal or iron the IW is still an available imrpovement -- thanks for the tip.

Back on-topic:

Definitely build both. No question about it. I presume that Paris is your capital which = little waste. If you play up through nuclear plants (or even offshore platforms if you've got a little coast) you might be pumping out 180+ shields or more.
Old July 8, 2002, 13:34   #16
Cypselus
Settler

Both of course.
I love the Iron Works, but it's so rare that I get to build one. Last game I finished, Abydos could feed 20 pop points while producing 226 shields per turn. And that's without any resource mods. Of course I didn't hit that until I added the Nuke plant and manufacturing plant, but even before that, it was churning out 120 or so. That one city built most of my spaceship (and SETI, UN, Cure for Cancer, Hoover, ToE, and the Military Academy). Iron Works is great, and besides, I just had to brag.
Old July 8, 2002, 14:33   #17
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypselus
Iron Works is great, and besides, I just had to brag.
I'll play this game out, if Paris pumps out 227+ shields per turn, I'll be sure to let you know.

Yes, Catt, it is still my capitol city. There are 3 coal and 1 iron in the radius, iirc. (tho the 3rd might be just outside...)

The only other chance I've had to build one was in a conquered city with runaway food production - something like 2 cattle, 2 wheat, and a fish, the rest grassland + the two hills. I ended up building a stream of settlers instead of improvements. My, how CivII food caravans would have come in handy with that city...

intelligence to few.
Old July 8, 2002, 19:39   #18
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 23:58
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I love IW so much that I will capture an enemy city with coal / iron if I don;t have one. Hopefully, there will be enough battle to generate 2 GLs, one for the Iron Works (for it's cultural value, of course... HA), and one for the factory.

Imagine the power of a beach head intercontinental attack pumping 50 shields per turn...
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 8, 2002, 19:54   #19
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

There’s no such thing as too much production.
Old July 9, 2002, 18:43   #20
Colonial Impact
Settler

Without a doubt build both! If your concerned about pollution there is no need to worry. The French having an industrious strength means workers complete tasks faster, if any pollution is made your workers will clean up the mess double quick.

If drooling just thinkin about what Theseus said..... I can just picture the invasion and the poor sob civilization as it tries to repell it. Bahahaha......
Old July 9, 2002, 22:50   #21
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

I only built Iron Works once, in my very first game. It was an AI city that I got by culture flip. It seems the AI knows how to place cities so that it can later build IW. Has anyone ever built IW in a city that wasn't an AI city originally?
Old July 10, 2002, 00:17   #22
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Yes, I have. But notice, AI city placement is valuable as a pointer to future resources.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old July 10, 2002, 02:30   #23
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 20:58
Quote:
Originally posted by playshogi
I only built Iron Works once, in my very first game. It was an AI city that I got by culture flip. It seems the AI knows how to place cities so that it can later build IW. Has anyone ever built IW in a city that wasn't an AI city originally?
Many, many times. I actually get to build the Iron Works in a majority of my games (or so it seems). I consciously look for locations that might be an IW city though -- lots of hills / mountains, with a few jungle tiles falling within the 21-tile city radius is an ideal location. I've found that in many of my games (even when I don't get an IW opportunity), there are numerous potential IW city locations.

Catt
Old July 10, 2002, 03:26   #24
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

You people don't play it out to the Modern Age often enough, do ya? IW + Factory + Nuclear Plant + Manufacturing Plant.

Ya want shields? Huh? Ya REALLY want shields? Want a GW in 6 turns, an army from the Academy in 4? Howzabout a MA every bloody turn? 150 shields is just the beginning!

EDIT: Too bad I keep getting IW candidates on the ocean... oh well, there's always Offshore Platforms...
Old July 10, 2002, 13:01   #25
Marquis de Sodaq
King

IW and factory are now complete in Paris. Shield production up to 117 per turn, railroads are still being laid (while the workers aren't busy cleaning up pollution, anyway ). Coal Plant has been delayed by Universal Suffrage and now Theory of Evolution.

I'm going to need 6 workers employed full-time in HazMat just to keep the countryside clean...

I'll try to post a screenshot once I get the coal plant built. Or should I wait for a hydro plant, instead? Electronics will be discovered within 10 turns or so.

intelligence to few.
Old July 10, 2002, 13:53   #26
Theseus
Emperor

Build Hoovers.

Old July 10, 2002, 14:31   #27
Harovan
staff

If the IW city has a river in its radius, you can start to prebuild a palace 7 turns before Electronics in it and then switch to Hoover Dam to build it instantly. If not, choose another city with a river and start to prebuild the wonder now.
Old July 11, 2002, 09:51   #28
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Theory of Evolution complete, hello electronics! Sir Ralph, Paris is still my capitol - but I've had a phony palace being built in a nearby city. 4 turns to complete Hoover Dam, and no other civ is building a wonder. So I guess missing the coal plant was no big deal.

Currently, Paris is at ~130 shields, depending on which squares get polluted each turn. This is kinda cool - this is as far as I've ever played (with techs, anyway), but the previous times I had no cities with production possibilities like this. You seasoned modern era gamers are probably less impressed, tho. Thanks for the tips.

intelligence to few.
Old July 11, 2002, 21:29   #29
The_Hawk
Chieftain

I agree to build both based on what Theseus said. Imagine a city with Iron Works, Factory AND Mfg Plant. OUCH! Just awsome production. You kick out an army every 4 turns! Then its beach time!
Old July 11, 2002, 22:39   #30
Theseus
Emperor

I went a little crazy about the IW tonight... finishing the June MT, England had misplaced a city near the only spot on the map that could build the IW... razed a perfectly good city to reposition, and then won by domination before I could build the damn thing. C'est la guerre, et la vie.