Old July 8, 2002, 14:57   #1
Incan_Warrior
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
To Patch or Not to Patch
I may be somewhat of an oddity, but I've been playing Civ III in it's 'virgin' form for 3 months now - that's right, I have yet to install any kind of patch. I've read time and time again how great the patches (and how bad the bugs) are, but my question is this - if I don't think the game is broken, should I bother fixing it? My fear is that I won't like the patched game. I already know there are little things (horsemen no longer retreat, science max is upped to 40 turns) that I don't like about the patches. So, with 2.0 supposedly coming out - should I bother with it if I'm already happy?
Old July 8, 2002, 15:07   #2
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 22:59
I'm going to be completely and honestly blunt with you right now. You are a complete idiot for not patching up to 1.21. Please rectify your mistake at your earliest convinence. I can understand not using the previous patch due to AI tech trading, but not for 1.21. All the things you do not like, such as science max/min, can be changed in the editor.
Old July 8, 2002, 15:12   #3
Carver
Prince

v1.17f
v1.21f

Patch it up. Retreat needs to be a die roll, otherwise its just too easy. You want stack movement don't you?
Old July 8, 2002, 15:21   #4
Incan_Warrior
Chieftain

Frantz - Don't worry bro, EVEN though you called me a complete idiot I can roll with the blow - we'll just call it constructive criticism. I only play Civ 3 once a week (Saturday) and I have a thoroughly good time when I do. Nevertheless, improving on some of the tediousness (like having stackable movement) would be nice. I'll have to give it a shot.
Old July 8, 2002, 15:58   #5
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 22:59
Hmm, maybe I was a bit to judgemental to call you an idiot. If you started playing three months ago, the patch at the time was v1.17f. I could understand if that turned you off from patching by virtue of the posts here and at CivFanatics.

Thus, I hearby rescind my claim of idiocy if you go forth and patch hencforth.
Old July 8, 2002, 19:22   #6
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 20:59
Well if you're happy with it, you should just wait until the next one comes out. That could be any day now.
Old July 9, 2002, 12:31   #7
woody
Warlord

Local Time: 03:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
One thing I really hate about the 1.21 patch is that you can't make changes to the civ3mod.bic file and have them affect current games!

Grrrrr!

They save the bic information in every save game file now. Why did they do that? It makes it almost impossible to test out changes!