Old July 9, 2002, 22:04   #1
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 00:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Multiple palyers per Civ, or vise-versa
I doubt that topic name made much sense, so here is what I'm getting at:

I wonder if the game would be flexible about the number of players and number of civs in a game. I.E. if you have a game with three civs, can only three people play, or if you have a scenario with four civs, would you need 4 players, and with only three the AI would control the other.

While it might not make a whole lot of sense yet or even appear to be very uesful, here are some examples:

You could make a Second World War scenario with Russia, Britain, America, Germany and France as Playable. Perhaps the player with Britain could also control France, seeing how they'll be knocked out early and forced to jsut sit tight with a couple cities left (vichy France) but they might be a bigger player later on once they are liberated, and you don't want the AI to handle the French forces.
Or (probably a better example) what if just you and a friend want to play said scenario? Just like in Axis and Allies one could be Germany, and one could be everyone else. Basicaly, it's not like they'll be fighting amongst themselves, only with Germany.

The other thing I mentioned, multiple players ber Civ plrobably makes more sense.
Basically, you and a partner or two could share the control of a single civ, and you could come and go as you please. Be great for a full game and nobody wants to play all at once; just pass it on to a friend after a little while and take turns, while popping in when you can to help out and see how things are going. Even better for all you players of the Civ3 Democracy game, just play against the AI, but actually have game members in the game together making changes and coming to decisions actually in the game.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, anyone else see any of this as a good idea? Or is it just me?
Old July 10, 2002, 00:13   #2
Knightblade pDM
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Co-Op method for a TBS game..I don't know about that. I mean for RTS games like the AoE series, it's logical. One person does military, one does economy. I don't know how they would work this. I mean if I was playing with a few friends and got bored I can just hand it over to them without taking a spot up on the MP setup menu.

If Civ ever did go RTS(and we all know that won't happen) then it might be a good way to go
Old July 11, 2002, 03:24   #3
Badi_Dea
Settler

Local Time: 22:03
PTW will have a RTS component, from allciv
"The key concept being used to turn Civ III into a multiplayer game is turnless mode and basically, it advances the turn every few seconds. Improvements slowly build during this timeframe and units are able to move only once every so often (picture them as if on a timer). This is to prevent someone from using an army and just moving them quickly about the map."

but, it is yet another thing to unnessarly complicate the game...
Old July 12, 2002, 00:11   #4
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 22:03
You could control several Civs in a hot seat mode. Or you could make agreements with other player using the chat mode and therefore have 'Allies'.