Old July 10, 2002, 23:52   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 04:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Late game boredom with micro management moving hordes of settlers back and forth
It is just 800 a.d and I am starting to get bored outta my wits. Do you all automate settlers? I have conquered 3/4s of the continent and have tons of settlers..they work fast since I am industrious and every turn I have to spend 20 minutes figuring out where to move them next..

Anyone have problems with later game bordom?
Old July 10, 2002, 23:58   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 00:07
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I think you mean Workers, and yes, I automate appr. 90%. The rest are special teams.

Come RR, all Workers are manually managed again, until I am satisfied with my RR network. Then I automate most again.

Automate, to me, BTW, means Shift-A.

Also, as I commit wars of aggression, I typically segregate my native workers, and use them to bolster captured cities.

As I have many slave workers, this is not a problem. I do get bored, however, with the late-game mid-turn pause... that's the time to go get a sandwich.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 11, 2002, 00:03   #3
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 04:07
Yes I meant Workers. I have a bunch of jungle that I coudl clear with some teams..but I decided not to do that either because isn;t rubber found in jungles? I am afraid if I clear out all my jungles before I get replaceable parts I might be depriving myself of rubber resource squares.

I guess Ill just bolster some of my cities..then. What way do you bolster them? you mean just build roads and irrigation or add the workers to the cities to increase pop?
Old July 11, 2002, 00:17   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
1. Don;t worry about clearing... no effect on resources. They still show up anyway.

2. Bolstering: I mean adding to pop. Although improvements, if they can be USED, are better... I HATE seeing city workers using under-developed tiles.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 11, 2002, 08:09   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I usually manually control my workers in order to develop my cities the way I want. Once that's done with, I will automate them so they can go RR that mountain on the edge of nowhere.

Late in the game, I typically add my "native" workers to cities, leaving only slave labor to deal with pollution (which shift+A deals with nicely).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 11, 2002, 08:21   #6
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 05:07
I play on tiny, medium, or standard maps to avoid all this tedium. I know it can get really annoying moving tons of workers around, if I have nothing good to do with them I often add them to cities or fortify them in some safe location, for pollution cleanup if they're needed.