Old July 11, 2002, 12:12   #1
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Snatching victory from the jaws of victory?
Just wondering if I am the only one who finds that sometimes the Domination victory can be a disappointment. In my last game (huge, 80%, archipelago, wet, warm, 4M old, 10 civs) it was down to the Chinese (MPP/ROP), the English (weak, backward and culture flipped almost to death), the French (#2, fouling my seas with her battleships’s) and me, (the Americans.)

Having had enough of “the saint’s” forays into my territorial waters, I set up a picket of “Modern Battleships” (a new naval unit I’m working on) just inside her borders. I then get a message from Saint Ash Pile to “Leave or declare war .” Suck bilge water Joan, I’m not leaving!” So Joan d’Ash hits one of my Nuclear Submarines with a bomber, how’d she see it? Nothing around but my ships (bug? glitch? cheat? a new thread? )

Anyhow, now we are at war. I execute a Pattonesque charge, taking a line of cities from her east coast to her west coast, dividing her territory in half while the Chinese attack from the northwest. Fortify, regroup, reinforce, and now I am ready to flambé her bald booty back to the Stone Age – End Turn.
I finish giving my build orders for the next turn and here it comes – “You have achieved a domination victory. No movie, no love and kisses, just a “you won get over it.” What a let down.

Does anyone know what conditions must be met to get the domination win? I’m thinking about unchecking the box for future games. Yeah, I could have played on, but that is like reading the last page of a good mystery novel before you read the book – you already know what is going to happen.
Old July 11, 2002, 12:25   #2
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You must control 2/3 of all land and coastal tiles.

I always turn it off.
Old July 11, 2002, 13:12   #3
Cookie Monster
King

Someone at Civfanatics made a utility that allows you to see how much of the world you control and how much more you need to attain domination victory.
Old July 11, 2002, 15:16   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 21:08
In addition to 2/3 territory, 2/3 of population also.

What do you want to do, CONQUER the whole world?

You could always just raze the cities you take....
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old July 11, 2002, 15:21   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

You can turn the domination victory off at the start, or try this:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=54661

Heh. It's amusing to kill barbarians with mechanized infantry.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 11, 2002, 16:14   #6
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
What do you want to do, CONQUER the whole world?
Yes...

Nah... Just Joan!

Quote:
You could always just raze the cities you take....
I didn't pay to flip them so I could raze them!

And Arrian, I never laughed so hard in my life as I did when a huge stack of Barbarian horsemen hurled themselves to death against the hull of my modern armor!
Old July 11, 2002, 20:56   #7
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Re: Snatching victory from the jaws of victory?
Quote:
Originally posted by miccofl
Just wondering if I am the only one who finds that sometimes the Domination victory can be a disappointment.
Yes. I just had my first experience with this while shooting for my first s/s victory on regent. This was my whole reason for the game, didn't think to turn off 'domination.' With laser technology one turn away, two components left to build --- "You have won a domination victory!" Arrgh!

Oh well, next time.
Old July 11, 2002, 21:36   #8
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 14:08
I sometimes, when playing huge Pangea maps with 16 civs do hope for a Domination vistory as late game tedium of watching workers moveing around gets too much. But then when I do achieve domination it is usually when I have started destroying a couple of other civs which is the fun part. So I have mixed feeling about domination. Does allow quickier victories and I guess higher scores though.