Old July 11, 2002, 14:39   #1
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hypothetical Situation...
Just an idea here-

Suppose nukes were enabled from 4000bc. Therefore, it would be possible to begin building ICBM(s) immediately.

When would you build your first nuke?
When would you build your second?

When would you launch your first nuke?

It isn't easy to put together those hundreds of shields, but if it were technologically feasable, what would you do?

For all you people out there that have your hands all over the red button...

(I'm considering this information for a mod)
Old July 11, 2002, 15:12   #2
muxec
Prince

Local Time: 07:08
I'll build it at early midages.
Old July 11, 2002, 15:14   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 00:08
Never. Nukes aren't worth the shield cost and they screw up the world.

If I could build Modern Armor, however...

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 11, 2002, 15:16   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Consider, however, that it would make for a great shield-holder. No more lost shields if you miss a wonder... just switch over to a nuke and wait for the next wonder tech (like the Palace, but this can work for your no-corruption capitol).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 11, 2002, 15:25   #5
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You will never be able to make this happen in 4000 BC. The “Nuclear Activation Sequence” must be triggered by construction of a Great Wonder, it doesn’t matter which one, the box can be checked in the settings from any GW but; if you change this, be sure to uncheck the box for the Manhattan Project or your game might crash upon its’ completion.

Jumping up the timeline, it’s now 3500 BC and I just built GW~ I have uranium and can now build nukes.

Q> When would you build your first nuke?

A> Not until tactical and strategic requirements rendered their possession necessary, or when a city becomes fully built and other land/sea/air units are not required.

Q> When would you build your second?

A> Right after the first. Wouldn’t want it to get lonely, but now that I have two I may as well breed them…

Q> When would you launch your first nuke?

A> Only if it became a tactical or strategic imperative or I have enough for all the Civs’ cities. It’s nice to share…

I’d like to play your mod when it’s done. Go ahead! Push the red button…
Old July 11, 2002, 19:05   #6
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

Quote:
You will never be able to make this happen in 4000 BC. The “Nuclear Activation Sequence” must be triggered by construction of a Great Wonder, it doesn’t matter which one, the box can be checked in the settings from any GW but; if you change this, be sure to uncheck the box for the Manhattan Project or your game might crash upon its’ completion.
The point is that it is a hypothetical situation. I am not even sure I can make this mod. I just want to see what kind of interest is out there. So, I guess my mod will have to be a save game...

The question is- when does it become worthwhile to sink about 300 shields into a nuke? Sure, nukes are nice at any point, but at 300 a pop, then a little cost-benefit analysis is in order.
Old July 11, 2002, 20:38   #7
yellfromhell
Warlord

Probably, I wouldnt build any nuke until another Civ buthers too much. That means: enough for me to think they deserve to extinct. I always prefare competition than wide domination, because the last one is really boring. I frecuently use small Civs as 'colonizers' and conquer them culturally. In the end, i believe I would use the nuke in the same time I actually do, lets say: when only 2 Civs remain.
Old July 11, 2002, 21:14   #8
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Bah, the first 50 units I make would be nukes. After all, you are talking to the guy that loaded up a 4000 BC game into Gramphos' CMT, and gave myself 30 nukes, and gleefully blew away the world before bronze was invented.
Old July 12, 2002, 16:06   #9
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

Suppose you could only build two military units- nuclear missiles and warriors. This assumes that tech progress has stopped.

(This is still hypothetical, but may make it into my mod/save game)

At what point does it become worthwhile to build a nuke? When you see a stack of twenty coming? Fifty?
Old July 12, 2002, 16:14   #10
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

The nuke in the ancient era would be like the holy hand grenade - an incredibly powerful, one-of-a-kind weapon. You could only reasonably expect to complete one (at least in ancient), which of course means you could only use it once. Personally, I don't think there is anything important enough in the ancient era to justify spending the time building it. Maybe if you're trapped in a tough starting position and need to break through a toughly defended AI city to expand.
Old July 12, 2002, 17:22   #11
Destroyer
Prince

lets get real. one nuke wouldnt even capture or destroy one city.

How many settlers can be built in the same time?
Old July 12, 2002, 19:37   #12
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
I am not even sure I can make this mod. I just want to see what kind of interest is out there. So, I guess my mod will have to be a save game...
It is possible (with the v.1.32.0.1 editor) to build any wonder you should choose by 3950 BC - don't give up!