Old July 11, 2002, 19:00   #1
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 22:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Golden ages with civ-specific abilities disabled
We've run into an interesting question in connection with the July tournament, and I'm wondering if anyone out there can help. We're playing the Babylonians, but I got a golden age after completing the Hanging Gardens - an Industrious wonder according to the Civilopedia. (At that point, I had neither built nor captured any other wonders.) I didn't even notice the anomaly given how the Hanging Gardens and Babylon go together historically until someone else pointed it out.

So the question is, when playing with civ-specific abilities disabled, do you get a golden age the first time you build ANY wonder? Or is there something else involved that we haven't noticed?

Nathan
Old July 11, 2002, 19:27   #2
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Could it be a typo in the Civilopedia? In general, all wonders trigger GA for the Civ that built them irl... pyramids for Egypt, great wall for China, etc. So the hanging gardens should trigger GA for the Babs. Just think of it as a scientific / religious wonder

DeepO
Old July 11, 2002, 22:29   #3
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DeepO
Could it be a typo in the Civilopedia? In general, all wonders trigger GA for the Civ that built them irl... pyramids for Egypt, great wall for China, etc. So the hanging gardens should trigger GA for the Babs. Just think of it as a scientific / religious wonder
If you just look at those two, it looks like a pattern. But how many others, if any, can you come up with? If there are others, my quick look through the Civilopedia missed them.

Nathan
Old July 11, 2002, 22:40   #4
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:09
I think that if you have Civ-specific abilities off, building ANY Wonder will trigger a GA.
Old July 12, 2002, 01:14   #5
Wooglin
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:09
Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
I think that if you have Civ-specific abilities off, building ANY Wonder will trigger a GA.
I don't think that would make any sense. It seems to me that would limit GAs way too much and would be way too different. It would actually encourage people to not build wonders.

I understand people holding off wars in order to perfectly time a GA, but not building a wonder that you need/really want simply to hold off a GA seems counter intuitive in the extreme.
Old July 12, 2002, 04:29   #6
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:09
Quote:
I don't think that would make any sense. It seems to me that would limit GAs way too much and would be way too different. It would actually encourage people to not build wonders.

I understand people holding off wars in order to perfectly time a GA, but not building a wonder that you need/really want simply to hold off a GA seems counter intuitive in the extreme.
I played one of my first games of Civ 3 as the Romans with Civ-specific abilities turned off, and building the Oracle triggered a GA.
Old July 12, 2002, 06:42   #7
DeepO
Emperor

Local Time: 06:09
Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
If you just look at those two, it looks like a pattern. But how many others, if any, can you come up with? If there are others, my quick look through the Civilopedia missed them.
You are right... I picked the only two that matched. I would have expected at least the ancient ones to fit, but in general it isn't even near. The Oracle being rel, when the Greeks are comm/sci, etc.
Sorry, I should have looked at the Civilopedia before posting that.

DeepO
Old July 12, 2002, 11:54   #8
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 00:09
Just to confirm that the civilopedia is not wrong. The editor indeed has the Hanging Gardens as an Industrious Wonder (only).

It looks like any wonder triggers a GA with the civ-specific abilities turned off.

Another thing: It seems that everyone can build scouts, when the civ-specific abilities turned off. This is especially bad, since the AI never builds them.
Old July 12, 2002, 16:37   #9
Aeson
Emperor

I played the July tournament game through the ancient era and built every single wonder. My GA was not triggered until I build the Hanging Gardens.

Perhaps it has to do with the cultural grouping.

Mediterranean: Oracle, Pyramids, Collosus, Lighthouse, Great Library
Middle Eastern: Hanging Gardens
European: Sistene, Magellans, Copernicus, Shakespeare, Leonardo's, JS Bach's, Newton's, Smith's(Asian?)
Asian: Great Wall, Sun Tzu's
American: Suffrage (European?), Hoover, ToE?, UN, Manhattan Project, SETI

Cure for Cancer and Longevity I won't guess at where will happen.
Old July 12, 2002, 16:48   #10
Aeson
Emperor

Well, did a bit of testing, and I was completely wrong. Every wonder triggers a GA for every civ I tried (edited up 'cheap wonder with no requirements .bic). My memory isn't so good.