Old July 12, 2002, 15:55   #1
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 23:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is OCC possible?
Is the one city challenge possible in civ3? i know that it has been perfected for civ2, but has anyone succesfully gotten to AC while only building one city?
Old July 12, 2002, 16:41   #2
Dr. Stiby
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Very conincidental you started this thread. I've just finished my first CIV 3 OCC and was about to start a thread on it. It seems like you beat me to it, though .
Being my first game, I played on chieftain, just to get the touch of it. I eventually won this game in the most surprising of ways, through a cultural victory..
It was already back in the 1970's and it was a rather boring game. At chieftain the AI has no techs to offer, so you'll have to do all the research yourself.
I'm convinced that it will be possible to win the Space Race on OCC. Problems I expect are the resources. Since your land area is so small and colonies are useless in OCC, you're dependent on your opponents for the necessary space ship resources. Problem is that when you're in atech lead, they mey not have the neceassary techs to "harvest" uranium and the likes.

Dilemmas I ran into in my game were the culture flips. I solved it by accepting the overtrown city, taking the defensive unit and then selling the city to the weakest civ, to keep the game balanced.
Other dilemma was wether I should build my city on a shore. building your city inland will give you a larger chance of finding resources and luxuries. Building your city at a shore will reduce the chance of finding resources, but gives you the possibility to trade with oversea civ's.

I'm very curious to read about other OCC experiences.
Old July 12, 2002, 16:46   #3
Dr. Stiby
Chieftain

Oh, one more dilemma. It occured to me a couple of times this game that a resource was located close enough to my city to be in my "cultural influence border". However, the evil babylonians and Zulu's build their cities to close to mine, so they could reap the benefits of the iron, coal and rubber.
I was wondering wether it would be against the rules (there need to be official rules for the CIV 3 OCC) to attack and just raze a city. This will also gives you pretty much enough workers for the rest of the game.
Old July 12, 2002, 16:58   #4
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 22:12
A thread about OCC launches (and attempts) on Deity.

solo and ToeTruck both played out several successful games.
Old July 12, 2002, 17:15   #5
Dr. Stiby
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeson
A thread about OCC launches (and attempts) on Deity.

solo and ToeTruck both played out several successful games.
Thanks for the link. it's an inspirating ...thread. I will move gradually through the levels but wonder if I ever get to win on Diety....
Old July 12, 2002, 18:53   #6
Sean
Prince

Yes it is possible. But don't expect mush of a score, or a space race victorary. Cultural victories are the best you can hope for.
Old July 12, 2002, 23:48   #7
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 23:12
the whole idea about OCC is the space race victory though. maybe the nuggets of strategy in that other thread will help.
Old July 17, 2002, 20:20   #8
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 06:12
I've never succeded in OCC until tonight, when I finished 2 winning games in less than 3 hours!

Both were on tiny archipelago maps, playing as France. Raging barbs, standard rules, all other setting random.

The first game was on regent level. All four civs started on the same tiny island. I wanted to get them away from my continent and used 2 warriors and 2 archers to raze the entire world, and won by conquest in 2700 BC, can you believe? For some reason the opponents never respawned. 14467 score, more than 3 times my old highscore.

The second game was on monarch level. I achieved cultural win around 1950, after building most of the wonders. Had 2 wheat and a cow in Paris. There were no luxuries on the entire map, so things like Hanging Gardens and Shakespears were quite useful. Score was only about 500. The opponents were polite or graceful throughout the game, and there were MPPs in place with everyone.

But a OCC on a large deity map would be a real challange, I suppose?
Old July 19, 2002, 12:20   #9
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 00:12
My games on diety seem to turn into OCC whether I want them to or not.
Old July 19, 2002, 12:42   #10
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jshelr
My games on diety seem to turn into OCC whether I want them to or not.
Having a bit of trouble getting out of the gates?

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old July 19, 2002, 15:43   #11
W4r_Machine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq

Having a bit of trouble getting out of the gates?

I've never won on deity but I feel for the guy.
have struck again